GDT: PANTHERS @ HURRICANES

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm trying to figure out what p***yes are. :sarcasm:
pansies-in-pots-crop.jpg

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Is Necas really on the third line? EVTOI makes Staal line sort of the second line, technically the Staal line played the most 5v5 minutes of all the forwards last night. I think how we label the lines and how Rod views the lines are a little different. I know he doesn’t like to assign a number to his lines but if pressed I imagine he would say Staal is his #2 center.

Just a quick glance at both teams TOI and it looks like Maurice definitely leans on his top guys a little more than Rod. That’s kind of always been one of my biggest complaints about Rods coaching style, I personally think he tries to spread the ice time and depth out too much. I’m of the opinion that load a top line up with some of your best players and then play the shit out of them. Sink or swim.

Or maybe who we view as our top guys and coach views as the top guys are a little different. But who am I to say, his system and coaching has gotten a Hurricanes team missing arguably its second best forward to the ECF. I personally don’t count Patches because him being healthy for a full season and playoffs was a pretty big gamble to begin with, that’s why they got him for free.
Even if EVTOI makes Staal's line have more ice time than the 2nd line, Necas should have better linemates.

At least before TT's return, Drury was a good fellow winger of Necas on that line. Staal himself? Meh offensively.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I do drugs.

Cholesterol and high blood pressure drugs.
We might all need to take high blood pressure medicine after these last two OTLs in the playoffs.

Also, kudos to Jarvis for this magnificent hit against Gudas:

f*** yeah Jarvis! Then afterwards, Gudas took a penalty I'm sure cause he was mad a smaller guy beat his ass.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Is Necas really on the third line? EVTOI makes Staal line sort of the second line, technically the Staal line played the most 5v5 minutes of all the forwards last night. I think how we label the lines and how Rod views the lines are a little different. I know he doesn’t like to assign a number to his lines but if pressed I imagine he would say Staal is his #2 center.

Just a quick glance at both teams TOI and it looks like Maurice definitely leans on his top guys a little more than Rod. That’s kind of always been one of my biggest complaints about Rods coaching style, I personally think he tries to spread the ice time and depth out too much. I’m of the opinion that load a top line up with some of your best players and then play the shit out of them. Sink or swim.

Or maybe who we view as our top guys and coach views as the top guys are a little different. But who am I to say, his system and coaching has gotten a Hurricanes team missing arguably its second best forward to the ECF. I personally don’t count Patches because him being healthy for a full season and playoffs was a pretty big gamble to begin with, that’s why they got him for free.
It’s not so much the line number as sticking our regular season leading scorer with two offensive black holes when this team couldn’t score a goal to save their lives at even strength for 7 periods of hockey.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
So yesterday was a bit of a blur for me.

What I don’t get is how our 2nd goal was waved off. Whoever made that call just wanted us to lose
Someone in the main board gdt mentioned seeing the view from the blue line camera nearer to the play during one of the shots of the war room so I’d guess that was the one that showed it as offside. Because yeah if all they had to go with was the far side blue line camera them they screwed us because there was nothing conclusive about that view.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Someone in the main board gdt mentioned seeing the view from the blue line camera nearer to the play during one of the shots of the war room so I’d guess that was the one that showed it as offside. Because yeah if all they had to go with was the far side blue line camera them they screwed us because there was nothing conclusive about that view.
Ok, I wasn’t seeing it, but I admit to being high and drunk at the time.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
We might all need to take high blood pressure medicine after these last two OTLs in the playoffs.

Also, kudos to Jarvis for this magnificent hit against Gudas:

f*** yeah Jarvis! Then afterwards, Gudas took a penalty I'm sure cause he was mad a smaller guy beat his ass.

Surprisingly Jarvis isn't that much smaller than Gudas. A little shorter and a little lighter but we probably don't have accurate data on that. If anything Jarvis has gotten heavier since his stats were reported.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Surprisingly Jarvis isn't that much smaller than Gudas. A little shorter and a little lighter but we probably don't have accurate data on that. If anything Jarvis has gotten heavier since his stats were reported.
The way some here, especially around the deadline, were talking about Jarvis being small and weak so we should have traded him for Meier, made it sound like he's a 5'6'' 140 lb player afraid to go to the net or along the boards when he has literally never been that type player since he got here.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
It’s not so much the line number as sticking our regular season leading scorer with two offensive black holes when this team couldn’t score a goal to save their lives at even strength for 7 periods of hockey.
I agree completely.

I was just kind of pointing out that that I think there’s a slight disconnect between where us fans think certain players fall in the depth chart vs the coaching staff.

I mean Rod has actually referred to Staal as his #1 center, even though ice time tells a different story. But I honestly do think Rod views him as the #2 at a minimum.

I look at the current line combinations as KK getting a demotion to the third vs Necas and TT being moved to the third line. Either way other than Martinook scoring at a totally unsustainable pace to start the playoffs I don’t think these current line combinations are going to work against this FL team.

Edit to add: I think it actually points to a larger problem that the organization has had. Ever since he signed his current contract they’ve tried to make Staal a 2nd line center. It started with the get him out of Crosby and Malkins shadow and his offensive numbers would improve and they’ve never really hit that 2nd line center on a championship team type of level. He’s an elite 3rd line center and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
While there can be hyperbole on the internet I can imagine Meier or Bertuzzi having a goal or two at this point and this series being 1-1 at worst.
I think I wanted a Bertuzzi more than Meier. That’s not saying much because I never really cared about Meier, I think he’s a player that rings up numbers on a bad team that features him. Teams know they can win without shutting him down so no one really focuses that hard on him. Putting him a high tension playoff situation when he hasn’t been in it for years was no gimmie.

Bertuzzi excels in these situations. He’s Tkachuk lite. We could’ve afforded that trade. My only reasoning for not being vocal earlier about this one is the fact I dislike rentals in general. I’d want Bertuzzi to stay a few years.

stevewin

Oct 21, 2016
Aho has the primary assist on 2 of the 3 goals scored by the Canes so far. Why’s he in the crosshairs?
When you are at the games you can see the whole ice and see how players are impacting the games shift-shift. Jarvis as an example was noticeable all night, chasing down pucks, constant hustle, being physical (the little dude stood up face-face to Montour for God's sake). Watching live he constantly jumped out as noticeable. Aho was - not noticeable. I don't know how many long periods of time went by til I'd finally notice him and it was literally sometimes like I forgot he was playing. Trying to say he is playing well this series because he was two assists really doesn't tell the story at all. Last nite his assist came in the first minutes then he was mostly invisible for the rest of the game.

Dont get me started on Necas either - I can't tell you how many times I saw him avoid contact last two games taking himself out of plays

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
When you are at the games you can see the whole ice and see how players are impacting the games shift-shift. Jarvis as an example was noticeable all night, chasing down pucks, constant hustle, being physical (the little dude stood up face-face to Montour for God's sake). Watching live he constantly jumped out as noticeable. Aho was - not noticeable. I don't know how many long periods of time I'd finally notice him and it was literally sometimes like I forgot he was playing. Trying to say he is playing well this series because he was two assists really doesn't tell the story at all. Last nite his assist came in the first minutes then he was mostly invisible for the rest of the game.

Dont get me started on Necas either - I can't tell you how many times I saw him avoid contact last two games taking himself out of plays
Most of Aho’s career he’s been like that in the playoffs. He’s a sneaky player that capitalizes on mistakes. In the end he gets points but he’s not that kind of game changer. He needs more help.

Necas isn’t going to make amazing individual plays in the playoffs, the d is too tight. He needs to feed off other skill players. I see Necas making a handful of chances every game.

Aho isn’t going to knock down the door, steal a puck, dangle a d and bury the big play very often. It’s not even his style. Tony can’t play for everyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad