NFL: Panthers hiring Dave Canales as head coach

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Veteran guys probably didn't want the job but for a guy like Canales, he wasn't even really anyones radar and he may never have a chance at the top job again. SO IMO Tepper didn't need to offer 6 years, regardless it's going to be hilarious when he's paying Rhule, Reich and Canales at the same time to not work for him.
Rhule had offset language, thus Tepper got off lucky when Nebraska hired Rhule.

Reich, going to be paying him.

I'd imagine Canales is getting $30 mill or so over the term of the deal or more. I mean, Rhule got like $50 mill for his 6 years.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Rhule had offset language, thus Tepper got off lucky when Nebraska hired Rhule.

Reich, going to be paying him.

I'd imagine Canales is getting $30 mill or so over the term of the deal or more. I mean, Rhule got like $50 mill for his 6 years.

Carolina still has to pay him the difference, which I think is a couple million.

Drop in the bucket for Tepper, but still.

Still have to sweeten the package for him to leave Tampa and a better situation to build a resume(Mike Evans+Chris Godwin can make a career for anyone).

Tepper is a rare case in which everyone knows the job will be "difficult" and abusive. Just like the army can't find cooks or the like, so those who fail 18X(special forces training) land the worst jobs if they fail to make it.

He was a first time OC and honestly had zero name recognition. So IMO he was taking the job one way or another. Some guys never get a second chance.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Carolina still has to pay him the difference, which I think is a couple million.

Drop in the bucket for Tepper, but still.

He was a first time OC and honestly had zero name recognition. So IMO he was taking the job one way or another. Some guys never get a second chance.
Every team does when they fire their guy and that guy gets another role. His average between Carolina and Nebraska is like a $200K difference. So, Tepper got off really lucky as I was surprised Rhule took a job right away vs take a year off.

Never know when your stock is going to rise/fall. Kris Richard of Seattle was their DC after Quinn and he did get a couple of HC interviews, but when the Seattle D aged and the luster of the LOB days went away, so did his HC opportunity. So, you do have to strike when the iron is hot, plus given what HC make it's life changing money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad