Seravalli: Panthers have deal in place to trade Frank Vatrano to Kraken

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Well...one Swedish 4th line defensive center, who had never played in a top 6 role in his career, not in NA, not in Sweeden,
scored 40 goals, as a 1st line center for Vegas, in the NHL

Anything is possible!!!.

Frank Vatrano becoming a 30 goal scorer?, is wayyyyyy more possible what Karlsson did.

It's still pretty much impossible. Vatrano doesnt have the tools of a 30 goal scorer. I can say MacDermid will score 20 goals, yippee this is fun.

Reactions: Laus723

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
It's still pretty much impossible. Vatrano doesnt have the tools of a 30 goal scorer. I can say MacDermid will score 20 goals, yippee this is fun.
Depending on who else Seattle picks, Vatrano could see a lot more time on the power play. Hell, skilled players like David Booth have hit 30, in the right situation.

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Maybe i'm overrating him but i would do Giordano 50% retained for Vatrano trade. I feel like he would be a welcomed addition to the 3rd pairing. A solid defensive player who can still chip in offensively and a veteran presence. He has one year left in his contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laus723

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Depending on who else Seattle picks, Vatrano could see a lot more time on the power play. Hell, skilled players like David Booth have hit 30, in the right situation.

Vatrano has been given opportunities on the pp and has done nothing with them. He's also been played next to Barkov and nothing came of that either. If you can't score 30 with Barkov, you aren't gonna score 30. Vatrano is a speedy pseudo-pest with a good shot, and little more than that. The fact is he has poor hockey sense, and most of his goals seem to come off breakaways. He seems to just produce on his own for the most part, and I dont think any outside influence will elevate his game.

Booth had an outstanding work ethic, and his game was a little different from Vatrano's. At this point, Vatrano is what he is pretty much.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

It's pretty unlikely but not "near impossible" that he reaches 30 once imo. 26 goals pace last season, 24 goals in 2018 and the guy has been a goal scorer first at each level.

I personal'y think that un'ike Karlsson with Vegas, Vatrano won't have the opportunity to p'ay a big role woth Seattle, if at all. They can build a much better "on paper" roster than Vegas out of the gates

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's pretty unlikely but not "near impossible" that he reaches 30 once imo. 26 goals pace last season, 24 goals in 2018 and the guy has been a goal scorer first at each level.

I personal'y think that un'ike Karlsson with Vegas, Vatrano won't have the opportunity to p'ay a big role woth Seattle, if at all. They can build a much better "on paper" roster than Vegas out of the gates

I just don't see a leap to 30 goals. That would be pretty surprising.

Reactions: Laus723 and abo9

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Again how is this equivalent to March and Smith? Vatrano has been given time with Barkov BUT Please go on.
Players are underutilized/used wrong all over this league and Vegas exposed that. Its amazing to see people with the exact same mindset going into this draft. Nobody would have been able to make much a case for Karlsson, Smith, March and co either before the last expansion draft. I'm not saying its absolutely going to happen but for you to be so adamant that it can't happen again tells me you learned nothing.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Players are underutilized/used wrong all over this league and Vegas exposed that. Its amazing to see people with the exact same mindset going into this draft. Nobody would have been able to make much a case for Karlsson, Smith, March and co either before the last expansion draft. I'm not saying its absolutely going to happen but for you to be so adamant that it can't happen again tells me you learned nothing.

Agree that players are "underutilized/used wrong" throughout the league. Put another way, player performance is impacted by a number of factors like coaching, the team roster, opportunity or lack thereof etc. However, Vatrano is a veteran who has played under a several coaches for 2 different teams, has played in several different systems etc. What you see in his case is likely what Seattle will get....

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Zito has more than earned the benefit of the doubt during the past year. Not going to worry about this until we learn what the deal really is.
That said, even if it's sending them Vatrano to ensure they pick Driedger, I don't really see the issue. Yes, Vatrano is a decent 3rd line guy, but we were going to lose a guy anyway and losing Frank doesn't really hurt us - we have several younger guys who can take his role, or there's always FA; he has one year left on his deal and we probably weren't going to re-sign him anyway. Driedger is a non-issue - we were never going to keep him after the season he had; we could only offer something like 1 year, 2.5 mill and that would be beaten by other teams; at most, we could have traded his negotiation rights for something like a 5th or 6th round pick. So if it's "potential 5th round pick" to keep someone like Gudas, Acciari or Saarela, someone coach Q wants to keep - well, I can deal with that.
The important thing is that we bought out Yandle which allowed us to keep Forsling. That would have been a real loss.

Reactions: Thomas Colavecchio

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Honestly. This team can't get out of it's own way.

Now...Barkov is a UFA in a year. Will he want to stay there?

dunno man, losing Vatrano really is a massive blow to the team. Even if this is part of a very wise trade, how will we recover from losing…Vatrano.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
:D Vatrano part of deal for newly (reportedly) signed by Seattle Larsson or Oleksiak, or another Dman yet to be picked by Seattle.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Whaaaat? The guy's shot and release are unreal. He scored 24 in Florida with 14 mins of icetime a game and on the second PP. He did the same last year and was on pace for 26 goals.

Put him in the right spot and he's virtually guaranteed to score 30.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Wow. You know what there's more of in this thread than "dumb people"...?

Sensitive people.

I get it. Fans of any franchise that has been suffering for years go on the attack like a wounded animal if you even suggest something negative might happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad