Post-Game Talk: Panthers @ Caps, 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Eller is a 30 point forward, that's 3rd line production. I think he needs to simplify his game, he tries to deke far too often. If I was him, I'd just try to gain speed in the neutral zone and put the puck on net. I'd put DSP on his line, he doesn't mind going to the net to collect rebound.

Connolly is a huge disappointment.
I think Eller scored 30 points once in his career. So what. He isn't worth what he is being paid.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Grubauer has been absolutely hung out to dry by the defense in all 3 games he's played. He was great against Tampa and mortal in the other two.
The team hasn't played well in front of him but I think a lot of it is on Grubauer. I don't feel he is a strong technical goaltender. I also think the team plays better with Holtby in net because he helps the dmen out by playing the puck.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Grubauer has been absolutely hung out to dry by the defense in all 3 games he's played. He was great against Tampa and mortal in the other two.

That's the difference between a solid goalie and an elite one. Elite one makes saves that you sometimes don't expect them to. Grubauer is a good backup on most days. He picks you some points if the team performance is overally good. Elite goalie like Holtby can pick you points even if the team is having an off-day.

Without Holtby this is a bottom-10 team for sure this season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That's the difference between a solid goalie and an elite one. Elite one makes saves that you sometimes don't expect them to. Grubauer is a good backup on most days. He picks you some points if the team performance is overally good. Elite goalie like Holtby can pick you points even if the team is having an off-day.

Without Holtby this is a bottom-10 team for sure this season.

I'm not part of the trade-Holtby crowd, but come on dude, have you watched these games? Graubauer was making saves that nobody expected of us left and right against Tampa. The only real bad goals he let in were once the game was well out of hand against the Flyers. Grubauer keeps getting the 2nd half of back-to-back games where the team is completely flat, and he gets completely hung out there. Trying to draw any conclusion from these three games is ridiculous.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'm not part of the trade-Holtby crowd, but come on dude, have you watched these games? Graubauer was making saves that nobody expected of us left and right against Tampa. The only real bad goals he let in were once the game was well out of hand against the Flyers. Grubauer keeps getting the 2nd half of back-to-back games where the team is completely flat, and he gets completely hung out there. Trying to draw any conclusion from these three games is ridiculous.
I don't blame Grubauer for any of the losses but I don't think he is anything special. He is a backup and I think he always will be.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Bura might improve if he cut two feet off his stick. It's just ridiculously too big. That's just the start...

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Bura might improve if he cut two feet off his stick. It's just ridiculously too big. That's just the start...
I always thought his stick was too long. Not sure that would help him or not. I see you are a Kristich fan. Haven't seen many of them over the years.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I was at the game when Kristich was walked out onto the ice, between periods IIRC. I called it. There was a special announcement to take place during the game (marketing gimmick I presume). When the russians just starting to trickle over cough escape, it was an easy call.

I can still picture him standing in the corner, taking in the mad applause.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I was at the game when Kristich was walked out onto the ice, between periods IIRC. I called it. There was a special announcement to take place during the game (marketing gimmick I presume). When the russians just starting to trickle over cough escape, it was an easy call.

I can still picture him standing in the corner, taking in the mad applause.
Interesting thing about Kristich was he was one of very few NHLers that were from the Ukraine. Not as flashy as most players from the Soviet Union. Maybe that's why I liked him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Interesting thing about Kristich was he was one of very few NHLers that were from the Ukraine. Not as flashy as most players from the Soviet Union. Maybe that's why I liked him.

I forgot he was Ukrainian. I liked him because we suddenly had a skill center with size ready to contribute, basically out of the blue!

I also forgot that he had 2 stints with the Caps.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I forgot he was Ukrainian. I liked him because we suddenly had a skill center with size ready to contribute, basically out of the blue!

I also forgot that he had 2 stints with the Caps.

I remember us having a promising future with young players then, however injuries kicked in. Peake was supposed to be the gem of the young guys. The guy just never could get a break with injuries. Portland had a stacked roster too with Trotz. Back to topic, Kristich first few years looked so promising in the early 90s. His second stint with the Caps one of McPhee's reclamation projects and barely noticeable. If I remember right, his nickname with some Caps fans was Kristiff.

Go Caps.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You might be right. I'd take a hockey and a couple rolls of tape to get rid of the contract. Can't believe we traded for him.

This is the last year of his contract. If we are not in playoff contention by the TDL, we could unload him to a contender for a small return. Hell, I'd even trade him to Pittsburgh if it gave us something in return.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

He's not the first person to use a very long stick. Semin used to have a very long stick. If you saw it, you'd swear it was used by a 6'5 D, but he managed to score goals just fine with it.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He's not the first person to use a very long stick. Semin used to have a very long stick. If you saw it, you'd swear it was used by a 6'5 D, but he managed to score goals just fine with it.
Semin had some sick skills. If he put his mind to it he could have been the best player in the NHL.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
I always thought his stick was too long. Not sure that would help him or not. I see you are a Kristich fan. Haven't seen many of them over the years.

I cherry picked his name at random...he was one of several players I remember back when the Caps were on HTS. It was Kristich, or Druce, or Ridley, or Pivonka. Peake was dissapointing. Burridge was fun to watch, too bad about two bad knees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad