Confirmed with Link: Panthers acquire Jagr for 2015 2nd & conditional 2016 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
Jagr's positioning on the powerplay has always been a mystery. With the Rangers, he would setup on the right side near the corner and scored many many goals, but a shoulder injury stopped him from taking those one timers. He left for the KHL, came back and i think Boston started using him in the center of the power plays and it stuck with the devils. He may prefer that now. It does draw a lot of players to him which opens up ice and chances for other people. He is rarely given the pass to take a shot because there are 2-4 guys around him.. but i think that is the beauty of it. He draws so much attention when he is at the center, other players can make something happen.. and if they forget about Jagr for a second he will be ready for the shot.

I would love to see him on the right corner but form some reason he likes it there.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
AGREE. Jags game is coming off the half wall and killing you. I did not understand that plan yesterday.

I hope it was just the lack of preparation before the game. Putting him in the least complicated place since there was no practice. He and Boyes should switch positions. Boyes can do the net cleanup and Jags can take the half boards.

Jeff Shafer

Established: 1987
Fun fact, Jagr has the most game winning goals in league history with 127, tied for 5th in goals with 117, and 5th in points with 1,786. It's not unreasonable for him to get to 4th he'd need 12 points to tie, and 13 to own sole possession.

FlaPantherSwe*

When its all said and done, he'll go down as the 4th best forward to ever play. He's got a couple more years left in him(with us :)).

He is alrdy third with Howe at 4th.. cant take a guy that played in a 6 team leauge.

Whoa settle down, Wayne and Mario are in a class of their own.

This these two dwarfs the others in comparrison, but Jagr is the closest.

None of them brought one to an underdog (undercat?) franchise lime the Panthers and you know it.

No Messiers, Tikkanen, Kurri, or a young Jagr here

Rangers underdogs in a non cap NHL, get out of here :help:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
None of them brought one to an underdog (undercat?) franchise lime the Panthers and you know it.

No Messiers, Tikkanen, Kurri, or a young Jagr here

Sorry, but Gretz and Mario are just better. Gretz will still have more assists than Jagr has points. Also, its not like they had Cups handed to them. They had epic playoff battles of their own. Like the Islanders in the 80s, they were pretty good.

He is alrdy third with Howe at 4th.. cant take a guy that played in a 6 team leauge.

You can't take players from different eras and say if this guy played back then he'd be so much better. You have to appreciate what Howe was for his time. Even the athletes of today can't play professionally for 40 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlaPantherSwe*

You can't take players from different eras and say if this guy played back then he'd be so much better. You have to appreciate what Howe was for his time. Even the athletes of today can't play professionally for 40 years.

Iknow its just that Jagr is better no matter era. Howe is a bigger icon for sure. Then ofc there are most likely some soviet players at the time we are not recognizing

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Iknow its just that Jagr is better no matter era. Howe is a bigger icon for sure. Then ofc there are most likely some soviet players at the time we are not recognizing

There will always be rigorous debate about who is better, Howe, Jagr, Messier, Beliveau. But I think we can agree Gretzky and Lemieux are the top two and it'll take someone pretty special to come along to dethrone them.

I put Mikhailov and Kharlamov in the top 20 but nowhere near the top 5.

FlaPantherSwe*

There will always be rigorous debate about who is better, Howe, Jagr, Messier, Beliveau. But I think we can agree Gretzky and Lemieux are the top two and it'll take someone pretty special to come along to dethrone them.

Agree those 2 are on another planet.. I for some reason the older i get lean more torwards Lemieux then Gretzsky due to the what If factor

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
for you guys saying jagr is a top 5 player of all time and neglecting howe etc, thats just extremely uneducated and ignorant

go over to the history of hockey section and read through their arguments.

jagr is great and all, but he's nowhere near even close to howe

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
for you guys saying jagr is a top 5 player of all time and neglecting howe etc, thats just extremely uneducated and ignorant

go over to the history of hockey section and read through their arguments.

jagr is great and all, but he's nowhere near even close to howe

Had Jagr not left for Russia 3 years he would rank 2nd in ALL STATS after Gretzky.

And he would be 1st in NHL GAMES PLAYED! - Imagine that a Czech born player having played the most games in NHL history, would have been something.

Jagr is the only player in top 20 in points that started his career in the 1990s with BETTER goaltenders and clutch and grabbing.

Because Jagr left for Russia he will never get the respect he deserves, but I think he is the 3rd best player after Mario and Wayne.

Last edited:

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

All garbage to me, none of them sees the value in the acquisition except bleacherreport, but they think talk of relocation means it's a realistic possibility. Maybe it is, but they worded it as though being moved was a big possibility if we don't make it. It's not.

Jagr helped us get 4 points already, he's teaching the youngsters, and there's a buzz in the air, all of that is worth two picks. Especially with our pipeline. It doesn't wreak of desperation, and it makes perfect sense.

Jan 19, 2006
Found this gem on the mains.

This one is for the "Panthers compromise the future by trading 2nd round pick" crowd.

So the going rate at the trade deadline usually is a secind round pick for a decent player. I figured that I would look in to the quality of players that fall yearly from picks #45-60. I just figure that I will use the second half of the second round.

The way that I will judge if a pick became a NHL player is if they played 100 NHL games and over. I figure that is a nice rounded number. These players have all hit the criteria.

2011-
47- Matt Nieto
58- Nikita Kucherov

2010-
47- Tyler Toffoli

2009-
52- Richard Panik
54- Eric Gelinas
55- Dmitri Orlov
60- Tomas Tatar

2008-
51- Derek Stepan
53- Travis Hamonic
55- Marco Scandella
60- Jimmy Hayes

2007-
47- Dana Tyrell
55- T.J. Galiardi
58- Nick Spaling

2006-
45- Jeff Petry
46- Jhonas Enroth
47- Shawn Matthias
50- Milan Lucic
54- Artem Anisimov
57- Mike Weber

2005-
45- Guillaume Latendresse
51- Mason Raymond
55- Adam McQuaid
56- Marc-Andre Cliche

2004-
47- Blake Comeau
49- Carl Soderberg
50- Enver Lisin
53- David Booth
56- Nicklas Grossman
60- Brandon Dubinsky

2003-
45- Patrice Bergeron
46- Dan Fritsche
47- Matt Carle
49- Shea Weber
51- Colin McDonald
52- Corey Crawford
54- B.J. Crombeen
56- Patrick O'Sullivan

2002-
54- Duncan Keith
57- Matt Stajan
58- Jiri Hudler

2001-
46- Mike Zigomanis
49- Mike Cammalleri
50- Chris Thorburn
51- Jaroslav Bednar
55- Jason Pominville
57- Jay McClement
58- Nathan Paetsch

2000-
46- Jarret Stoll
54- Andreas Lilja
55- Antoine Vermette
60- Dan Ellis

1999-
I was just planning on going until 2000 but just to be fair in the off chance that the 1999 draft was stacked I did not want that to come back and bite me. These players in that range have played over 100 games.

Sheldon Keefe, Adam Hall, Andrew Hutchinson, Doug Janik and Matt Carkner

I will use the drafts 2000 through 2009 to give a decade worth of results. I have listed years 2010 and after but those players have not had the chance to fully make it yet and I did not want to have it change the results.

Out of the 150 players picked only 49 players hit that 100 game mark. Out of those 49 players a bunch are not in the NHL anymore or never really panned out but played enough games to qualify. I would say that one about a quarter of the players drafted in that range turned in to NHLers.

So the next time that you hear that your playoff team traded their second round pick just keep in mind that the drafting team only has a one in four chance of landing a NHLer.

1st round picks sit on a different echelon as most of those picks do go on to become functional NHL players. 2nd - 7th round picks are important and valuable in the aggregate - you need a bunch of them because most of them are not going to pan out. Having said that, they are not, when considered individually, as valuable as some people feel them to be.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Found this gem on the mains.

This one is for the "Panthers compromise the future by trading 2nd round pick" crowd.

1st round picks sit on a different echelon as most of those picks do go on to become functional NHL players. 2nd - 7th round picks are important and valuable in the aggregate - you need a bunch of them because most of them are not going to pan out. Having said that, they are not, when considered individually, as valuable as some people feel them to be.

Saw you post that in the other thread and I think it's a great post. For what Jagr will provide, what his being here means (to the players and fans), that was a small price to pay. He's already talking to his line mates about where he'll be and it looked like where they should be.

Best quote came from after Saturday's game, "I tell Barky that I'm going to yell at him, that means give me the puck, he say that I don't have to yell, he sees me." Went on to talk about the skill that's here with the youngsters, talked about the team's drive and how much they play in the offensive zone.

His being here is very valuable. On a number of levels. I learned awhile ago that talking heads are just that...talking heads. Pierre blasted us for giving up Markstrom for Lou, he clearly wasn't paying any attention. Analysts crack me up, especially when they're made up of guys like Milbury. Biggest reason why I don't give ESPN much of my time anymore is because they have guys like Herm Edwards as a go to.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
All garbage to me, none of them sees the value in the acquisition except bleacherreport, but they think talk of relocation means it's a realistic possibility. Maybe it is, but they worded it as though being moved was a big possibility if we don't make it. It's not.

Jagr helped us get 4 points already, he's teaching the youngsters, and there's a buzz in the air, all of that is worth two picks. Especially with our pipeline. It doesn't wreak of desperation, and it makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the feedback.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

I think you're missing on Orr two from the top...

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Jagr needs another season to get 1800 points and 11 more assists to pass the dirtbag NJ coach Adam Oates in all time assists.

Can he convince the Panthers to give him a new contract? Thats the question. My gut feeling is that Jagr wont be good enough these last 19 games to get a new NHL contract anywhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad