Pang implies "Mutiny on the horizon"

Status
Not open for further replies.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Darren Pang Extended his views about some phone calls he received earlier.

Right now, he is quotting MANY players as saying Bob Goodenow has "Sold them down the river"

He said a "Very Large Amount" Of players have called him since the NHL's presser and said they Have tried to call Goodenow and Tell him to get the deal down, its with in reach, they have removed linkage, get it down.... And he is not taking thier calls.

he also implied some people are REALLY close to going public, and that they CANNOT believe the Negotiating tactics that Goodenow has used, Only to give in on the last day.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I am buying into this idea more and more now, especially after that "press conference" Goodenow just had, or is having still now. I didn't hear it, but from what I read, it was the blame game temper tantrum.

I never really had much of an opinion on Bettman before this, but he's done a good job of playing hardball. As of now, he's essentially broken the union, because they have nothing to stand on for bargaining. They now have to take a deal that is getting worse for them every time, or they can choose to lose this season (and likely still end up in the position of a bad deal for them), which is becoming more and more evident that a lot of players do NOT want to lose this season.

And now it seems like we may be on the verge of the union actually breaking, or at least Goodenow's authority being subverted.

Bettman's done his job well. Even if the season ends up cancelled, he stuck mostly to what we knew the owners all wanted, a cap. And he put them in a position to get a cap, that the players wouldn't negociate that much and Goodenow and co. didn't even give the players a vote on it.

Now, he's making the deal better and better for the owners.

Sorry for getting a little off topic, but that's how I see this whole thing. With this players thing, we may be in for an interesting evening and night.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Takeo said:
I don't think Bettman can turn back. It's too late. He canceled it.

If the union demands a vote and accepts the league's last offer by the weekend, he'll uncancel it.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
Pang also said that the players are starting to figure out that from this point on, what they are going to get in any new cba is going to be going downhill fast, so they are desperately trying to find a way to get a deal done now.

duhhhh.....

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Greschner4 said:
If the union demands a vote and accepts the league's last offer by the weekend, he'll uncancel it.

I think that's a possibility.

Takeo, he can go back if they cooperate with HIS terms now. He's forced them into either taking it, or choosing to accept his cancellation of the season, which it seems evident that the players really don't want.

The players have been put between a rock and a hard place, and the only way out seems to be subverting Goodenow's authority.

This all might hinge on just how desperate the players are to getting back to playing hockey. Maybe desperate is a bad choice of wording. I'd bet that the majority are as frustrated and sick of this as most of us, and I'd bet that they have basically no confidence in Goodenow right now.

IkeaMonkey*

Pang is such an uninformed, out of the loop nugget I doubt any of these phone calls are even real.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Takeo said:
I don't think Bettman can turn back. It's too late. He canceled it.
I'd agree but the way he kind of left it open at around $44M(?), it sounded to me like if the players throw Goodenow overboard and say they'll take it, he would open the season.

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
Bettman can uncancel the season easily, he even implied that in the PC. If it meant getting the deal, saving the season PLUS publicly humiliating Goodenow, he would do it in a second.

WrightOn

Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
DynamoAO said:
Pang is such an uninformed, out of the loop nugget I doubt any of these phone calls are even real.

Yet you are so 'in the loop' that I shouldn't doubt you.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Dr Love said:
I'd agree but the way he kind of left it open at around $44M(?), it sounded to me like if the players throw Goodenow overboard and say they'll take it, he would open the season.

Yeah, maybe. The thing is just so bizarre from all angles. Considering that the players will not be paid this season and will only be offered a "worse" deal in the future, I don't understand how they can just sit there and support the decision.

Who would organize the vote? How would that work??

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Takeo said:
Yeah, maybe. The thing is just so bizarre from all angles. Considering that the players will not be paid this season and will only be offered a "worse" deal in the future, I don't understand how they can just sit there and support the decision.

Yeah, it's a bit bizzare. The dust hasn't begun to settle though.

I'd have to imagine Linden or Guerin--if they feel that Goodenow should go, would do it. If not maybe a team rep or just someone takes a stand. I don't know.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
WrightOn said:
Yet you are so 'in the loop' that I shouldn't doubt you.

Yeah, what does a former player who has media credentials know anyway? He's just another Joe............. :shakehead

Bauer83

Aug 27, 2004
Takeo said:

As much as this makes sense in our heads, nothing thus far in the neogiatitions has made sense to the general public. I highly doubt that the players will have a public mutiny on hand, because the minute that happens the deal will worsen even more from the owners. If the players are truly that upset as a union, they will get goodenow to make a deal this summer, the best possible deal, then kick him out the door. Who is to say that Bettman would not remove the offer if the players tried to come running back right now. He originally said he would in his PC, giving them one last chance, which was the NHLPA's PC. I just can't see the offer being left on the table if PA tries to come crawling back without Goodenow.

Game_Misconduct

Oct 13, 2004
Since Goodenow works for the players, my guess is Trevor Linden, or the NHLPA board as a whole, could call for a vote and there would be nothing Goodenow could do about it.

How they would facilitate it would be anybody's guess. I suppose they could set up some kind of on-line process thru that super-secret players-only CBA information site they have.

Los Tiburones

Jun 11, 2002
Visit site
Takeo said:

My guess is that you have to have a large majority of the team reps contact their constituents find out what they are thinking, and then accept the offer on the unions behalf or if need be throw Goodenow out tonight, and then accept the offer.

Birdman

Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
Dr Love said:

Or under the bus.

I'd have to imagine Linden or Guerin--if they feel that Goodenow should go, would do it. If not maybe a team rep or just someone takes a stand. I don't know.

Guerin and Linden are the one's handing out Bob's Koolaid, so its not going to be them.

If anything, its Roenick/Pronger/Iginla organizing a group of the younger/mid-level players and having them go head to head vs. the rest of the NHLPA.

I just don't see the latter saving this season. If anything, it would be a messy deal that would divide the players into 2 factions that would enable them to start playing next fall. All the old timers who are a year or two from retirement would hang them up rather than play in the newly formed NHL>

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
DynamoAO said:

Panger may stay in closer touch with the players than any of the national tv media people.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Game_Misconduct said:
Since Goodenow works for the players, my guess is Trevor Linden, or the NHLPA board as a whole, could call for a vote and there would be nothing Goodenow could do about it.

How they would facilitate it would be anybody's guess. I suppose they could set up some kind of on-line process thru that super-secret players-only CBA information site they have.

Commadore and Ricci were both interviewed by Sportsnet today and they said that last night there were over 600 players on the "super secret site", and both of them said the likelyhood of the players accepting any deal to date was extremely unlikely.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Birdman said:
Guerin and Linden are the one's handing out Bob's Koolaid, so its not going to be them.
Agreed, but they're next in the chain of command. Professional Money Grubber Bill Guerin would never do it.

Birdman said:
If anything, its Roenick/Pronger/Iginla organizing a group of the younger/mid-level players and having them go head to head vs. the rest of the NHLPA.
Do you have any idea how much it would rock to have those three lead the way?

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The players better get of off the mark and fast -- Goodenow is leading them into disaster. If this doesn't get done fast many have seen their last NHL play day. And don't look to owners hiring them for their minor leagues teams either.

Fans will accept replacement players as long as they have the home shirt on. Ticket prices will be reduced and the fans will be there. Smarter players will cross the line quickly because the owners will establish a date and then hope some won't cross so they can keep salaries down.

How in the world the players believe they are securing their economic future by their actions is beyond rationale thought. They will never get a better offer and they will soon be competing against players very willing to accept and even reduced NHL salary.

Goodenow has established he is a fool and like most fools he is fooling himself. Too bad he has to drag down the players with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad