Pang implies "Mutiny on the horizon"

Status
Not open for further replies.

IkeaMonkey*

barnburner said:
Panger may stay in closer touch with the players than any of the national tv media people.

Which is true, but he's thrown out like...what four different theories as to how there WILL still be an NHL season this year in the last...2 hours? Melrose was smart when he said he's packing it in.

mini-mite fan

Feb 4, 2005
MN, USA
I missed Goodenow's whiny rant, but that's all it sounds like it ended up being. Someone in an earlier post to this thread nailed it. THE PLAYERS ARE SCREWED NOW. They have lost all bargaining power.

Bettman fully acknowledged this in response to two reporter's questions; first when asked if the league's final offer was now fulled off the table - (with NO hesitation) "yes, it is no longer on the table". Then when asked if this was really a final annouoncement and if the PA called up this afternoon to go ahead and accept their last proposal would he accept it? (HE HAD TO HOLD HIMSELF BACK FROM LAUGHING! Then) He said (paraphrased) "yes, I would be fully willing to take the embarassment of holding another press conference to announce an agreement was made; but, that won't happen so this is a final announcement".

The ball's in the owner's court. Players better get Goodenow out of there ASAP, before he screws them worse!

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
barnburner said:
Pang also said that the players are starting to figure out that from this point on, what they are going to get in any new cba is going to be going downhill fast, so they are desperately trying to find a way to get a deal done now.

duhhhh.....

What a bunch of losers eh? When did they finally realize that they weren't going to win this battle?

chicpea*

Dr Love said:
I'd agree but the way he kind of left it open at around $44M(?), it sounded to me like if the players throw Goodenow overboard and say they'll take it, he would open the season.

That's a pretty big risk. What happens if they throw Goodenow overboard, say they'll take it and then Bettman says - the new cap is 32 million? Who bargains for them then?

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Bauer83 said:
As much as this makes sense in our heads, nothing thus far in the neogiatitions has made sense to the general public. I highly doubt that the players will have a public mutiny on hand, because the minute that happens the deal will worsen even more from the owners. If the players are truly that upset as a union, they will get goodenow to make a deal this summer, the best possible deal, then kick him out the door. Who is to say that Bettman would not remove the offer if the players tried to come running back right now. He originally said he would in his PC, giving them one last chance, which was the NHLPA's PC. I just can't see the offer being left on the table if PA tries to come crawling back without Goodenow.

It's over now. The NHL has done what it needs to do, which is show a little compromise. Next they come out with replacement players, and the NHLPA players will slowly trickle back to the NHL for much less than before.

mooseOAK*

barnburner said:
Panger may stay in closer touch with the players than any of the national tv media people.
And he never says anything bad about the players that would get them upset with him, a goalie has never allowed a bad goal when Pang is commentating.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
gerbilanium said:
Bettman can uncancel the season easily, he even implied that in the PC. If it meant getting the deal, saving the season PLUS publicly humiliating Goodenow, he would do it in a second.

Sorry, this ride is now closed, the clowns have packed it in, the elephant in the room has finally been aknowledged.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Goodenow is a moron.. how are you going to cave and give in to a salary cap.. but still refuse to make a deal the last moment. He didnt even apologize to the fans that he has hurt. His whole speech was just rhetoric.. no emotion.

Even though Bettman has ultimately hurt the NHL over the years.. I feel he has relavent points. This lockout WAS NECCESSARY for the NHL to be profitable. I also liked his press conference. He was sincere to the fans, and laid out the problems minus the ******** rhetoric.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Aren't there labor laws that would prohibit the players from usurping authority or voting over top of union representation??

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Takeo said:
Aren't there labor laws that would prohibit the players from usurping authority or voting over top of union representation??

These are hockey players we are talking about here. They do their voting with their fists.

Now who gets to take Goodenow out behind the shed and beat the snot out of him first?

Game_Misconduct

Oct 13, 2004
Takeo:

Not sure about that. However, the NHLPA Board of Directors is the "head" of the union. Goodenow is their paid representative. If the Board decides Goodenow has not done his job they can jettison him and put Bettman's proposal to a vote of the membership.

I think.

chicpea*

Game_Misconduct said:
Takeo:

Not sure about that. However, the NHLPA Board of Directors is the "head" of the union. Goodenow is their paid representative. If the Board decides Goodenow has not done his job they can jettison him and put Bettman's proposal to a vote of the membership.

I think.

I think you're correct.

StarsPensFan

Mar 13, 2004
Cowtown, Texas
vanlady said:
Commadore and Ricci were both interviewed by Sportsnet today and they said that last night there were over 600 players on the "super secret site", and both of them said the likelyhood of the players accepting any deal to date was extremely unlikely.

It'd be interesting to be a fly on the wall on THAT message board...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I don't know that a mutiny would be logisticaly possible in time to save the season. Getting a rank and file vote to remove Goodie and even possibly player on the board of directors is alot to ask in a few days max.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
chicpea said:
That's a pretty big risk. What happens if they throw Goodenow overboard, say they'll take it and then Bettman says - the new cap is 32 million? Who bargains for them then?

Bettman cant (at least I highly doubt he would) do that. If they were to take a deal at 44 million (which I think is highly unlikely with whats gone down today), I really doubt Bettman would then say "no the cap is 32 million". The guy has alienated players already from what Pang and others have said and if he were to try to pull that, the players would never trust him again. Not to mention the negative PR that would come from a stunt like that.

As to who bargains for the players after they fire Goodenow, there are other negotiating lawyers that would take the job or maybe they'd promote Saskin. It's not like theres no one else that could do the job.

Birdman

Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
Dr Love said:
Do you have any idea how much it would rock to have those three lead the way?

I think they already tried, but ran into a wall because of the way the NHLPA is structured.

There is going to be a cooling off period here, then I think the NHLPA is going to restructure themselves, and some of those names are going to wind up on the board.

The NHLPA has no business having ANY of their executive committee playing overseas, now more than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->