Panarin vs Gaudreau

Contract aside, who is the better player?

• Panarin

Votes: 179 69.4%
  • Gaudreau

Votes: 79 30.6%

• Total voters

deejb

Nov 12, 2016
Contract aside, who is the better player?

GPGATPPPG+-Playoff GPGATPPPG+-
Panarin5081873825691.12134501628440.88-14
Gaudreau6022103996091.0185421122330.79-11

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
At least this last season it’s Gaudreau.

Panarin has had better years than this last season, but the past is past unless you mean “better career”. Until he bounces back and or Gaudreau falls off, it’s Gaudreau

Panarin seemed to have an off year (relative to league scoring increase) when everyone else was scoring more; also he’s had better linemates in the past at times than Gaudreau had if you’re looking at career numbers. This past season is the the best help JG has had in a long time, which I don’t mean as a knock on him.

Gaudreau outscored him (especially 5v5) and had better defense and underlying numbers. Panarin had worse defense and had worse underlying numbers than his own past seasons tho that seems to be team-wide in New York this season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Panarin just had an awful season by his standards and Gaudreau just had his peak season. Not entirely fair. Gaudreau played with another 100 point player in Tkachuk too. Panarin at his peak was putting up 100+ with Strome and Blackwell/Fast
Why do you think Tkachuk scored 100 points? Unless you think Tkachuk is a 100 point player on his own?

Reactions: LJ7 and Ignite111

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Why do you think Tkachuk scored 100 points? Unless you think Tkachuk is a 100 point player on his own?

It doesn’t matter if he would have scored it on his own though. There’s still not many players capable of doing it regardless of linemates. If there’s a vast difference in your linemates ability to finish your plays, it’s going to drastically affect your point totals as well. That entire line all contributed to an inflated on-ice shooting percentage that helped each of their totals

Reactions: kp61c and Felidae

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Panarin just had an awful season by his standards and Gaudreau just had his peak season. Not entirely fair. Gaudreau played with another 100 point player in Tkachuk too. Panarin at his peak was putting up 100+ with Strome and Blackwell/Fast
Perhaps Panarin is just getting older?

Though Gaudreau did better this playoffs this is the battle of the playoff disappearing acts.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Not quite sure what to make of Panarin and if his season was a one off or if its becoming his norm. If NY got the Columbus version of playoff Panarin they have a decent chance of getting by Tampa.
I like that Gaudreau is younger but hes been a bit more up and down the last 5 years where Panarin has been a ppg in each of those years. Id give Panarin the benefit of the doubt for now but this year should tell us a lot as Panarin gets a center and Gaudreau is moving to a new team

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
My point is Tkachuk is a significantly better player than Strome or Blackwell or Fast

When was the last time he skated with Fast? Played what like 30 games with Blackwell? The poll is not who was better 3 years ago.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
When was the last time he skated with Fast? Played what like 30 games with Blackwell? The poll is not who was better 3 years ago.
I’m just saying it’s a convenient poll for Gaudreau considering he peaked this season and Panarin was bad. In his Hart trophy finish season he played with Strome and Fast and paced for 113 points. Gaudreau played with Tkachuk this season who scored 100 points

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
If I had one more year with both I think I'm take Panarin. Could be trending in the other direction though.

I’m just saying it’s a convenient poll for Gaudreau considering he peaked this season and Panarin was bad. In his Hart trophy finish season he played with Strome and Fast and paced for 113 points. Gaudreau played with Tkachuk this season who scored 100 points

I don't love the poll either. At their peak 3 years ago Panarin was top 3 in the NHL. I don't think Johnny ever gets there. Don't even think he will ever be top 10. Today these two are a lot closer.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

The poster was using those because he had better seasons with them. He still didn’t play with good linemates this year. Dylan Strome again was his regular center, who is pretty mediocre, and his other wing was a revolving door, with the most minutes given to guys like Dylan Hunt, Goodrow and Kakko until Copp came in near the end of the season and played well. He also still paced for 105 points despite not looking like his usual self most of the year.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
The poster was using those because he had better seasons with them. He still didn’t play with good linemates this year. Dylan Strome again was his regular center, who is pretty mediocre, and his other wing was a revolving door, with the most minutes given to guys like Dylan Hunt, Goodrow and Kakko until Copp came in near the end of the season and played well.

Ryan Strome.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Panarin is a PP player, Gaudreau is one of the best 5v5 players in the league, so.

He wasn’t his normal self this year, but that has historically not been true whatsoever. Over the last five seasons, Panarin is 4th in the league in 5v5 points with 246. Gaudreau is 7th with 238, but in 24 more games. Over that same time frame, Panarin is 5th in 5v5 P/60 with 2.74. Gaudreau is 9th at 2.62 (among those with 4000 minutes). Panarin also has a 61% GF%, which is 5th in the league over that time frame (again with 4000 minutes). Gaudreau’s 58.5% GF% is at 16th. Both have been elite 5v5 players for their careers.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

You don’t know why this is a poll now?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes