Value of: Panarin next contract

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I'd love to have the Breadman on my team. He's going to get 8 @ $8.5M for sure if he decides to stay in Columbus or more $ if he hits the market.

Excellent young player.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
giphy.gif

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This trade is still such a head scratcher. Surely they could've found room to get rid of 2.5M~ in cap space? Or did they just want to get the band back together?:huh:

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Give him a blank check. The dude's the best forward to ever play for Columbus, and it would be an epic failure to not retain him for as long as possible.

Realistically, I'd say 8 years 9MM AAV. That would be fair for both sides.

Reactions: Monk

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
My god what was Chicago thinking
They were thinking the exact reason for this thread. How many more mega contracts do you think they could afford to hand out and tie up in 5-7 players?

Panarin is great and all, but Seabrook and toews' contracts are already weighing them down, blocking up another massive chunk of cap space while those guys already eat so much and aren't living up to their deals means less money to round out the team and Chicago gets locked into perpetual limbo for the next decade. At least with this down year they get some high draft picks and hopefully more high talent in the pipeline.

Panarin on the team would ensure Chicago was a playoff bubble team with no hopes of going anywhere in the playoffs and not bad enough to get a premium draft player

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
They were thinking the exact reason for this thread. How many more mega contracts do you think they could afford to hand out and tie up in 5-7 players?

Panarin is great and all, but Seabrook and toews' contracts are already weighing them down, blocking up another massive chunk of cap space while those guys already eat so much and aren't living up to their deals means less money to round out the team and Chicago gets locked into perpetual limbo for the next decade. At least with this down year they get some high draft picks and hopefully more high talent in the pipeline.

Panarin on the team would ensure Chicago was a playoff bubble team with no hopes of going anywhere in the playoffs and not bad enough to get a premium draft player

TL;DR = tanking?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This trade is still such a head scratcher. Surely they could've found room to get rid of 2.5M~ in cap space? Or did they just want to get the band back together?:huh:

Didn't Toews say that the players recommended to Bowman to get Saad back after losing to Nashville?

IIRC, Quennville was against trading Panarin. I don't know if I am just making things up and I dreamt this or if I read it in an article. Can't recall.

Reactions: Aerrol

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Didn't Toews say that the players recommended to Bowman to get Saad back after losing to Nashville?

IIRC, Quennville was against trading Panarin. I don't know if I am just making things up and I dreamt this or if I read it in an article. Can't recall.
Yeah I remember reading an article where he said something along the lines of that he was upset about losing Panarin and not being involved, or something like that.

Reactions: Aerrol

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
TL;DR = tanking?
Cap flexibility. They knew they either had two years with panarin and that's it because they wouldn't be able to afford his big contract. Figured Saad was the best thing for cap control, production, and playoff hockey given his history with them

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Big Caps fan but man watching this kid in the series it is impossible not to like him. He is going to get paiddddd

Love his moves with a Beagle going back and forth and the 2 on 1 goal he turned Carlson into a pretzel. If he stays with Columbus its 8 years $9 million

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
TL;DR = tanking?

All Panarin would do for the Hawks is significantly hurt their draft position and then take up too much cap to build a contender around. So yeah, we’re rebuilding, and Saad is part of that.

Bowman was honest with where the team was at and made a tough move to make that will pay off in the long run with new top talents from the draft plus Saad at a reasonable price.

9.5M x 8 from CBJ, 10.5M x 7 in UFA

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
At the time Saad was also coming off back to back 50+ pt seasons on an offensively below average Columbus team including his first 30+ goal season while also being on of the top 5v5 production guys in the league.

Everyone knows what panarin did, it's just salt in the wound Saad had a wet fart of a year while panarin went the other way and kept getting better

Problem is hossa was now gone and Toews was a ghost for 75% of the year. Hopefully debrincat moves up to 1RW and Saad rebounds to previous form

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Give him a blank check. The dude's the best forward to ever play for Columbus, and it would be an epic failure to not retain him for as long as possible.

Realistically, I'd say 8 years 9MM AAV. That would be fair for both sides.
Nash was a bit better, he just had a shitty team around him.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
If he wants a cup the blue jackets probably are not the place... Yes they will pay him but will they pay others?

Jimmys7

Jun 29, 2011
Columbus Ohio
At the time Saad was also coming off back to back 50+ pt seasons on an offensively below average Columbus team including his first 30+ goal season while also being on of the top 5v5 production guys in the league.

Everyone knows what panarin did, it's just salt in the wound Saad had a wet fart of a year while panarin went the other way and kept getting better

Problem is hossa was now gone and Toews was a ghost for 75% of the year. Hopefully debrincat moves up to 1RW and Saad rebounds to previous form

You talking about the CBJ being below average offensively during the 16-17 season? You should really take a look at the goals for that year. Clearly didn't watch much Jackets hockey.

Jimmys7

Jun 29, 2011
Columbus Ohio
If he wants a cup the blue jackets probably are not the place... Yes they will pay him but will they pay others?

Again, would love to see some actual evidence supporting this. If anything the CBJ have overpaid to retain talent. Just look at the $ Dubinsky is making.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Nash was a bit better, he just had a ****ty team around him.
No.

Nash was very good. Best offensive player of his draft by far. But Panarin is a dynamic force who could score 100 points next season. His upside is higher than Nash's ever was.

Last edited:
Reactions: geoo9

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
"I really really really want him back, so I'm determined to insist that Columbus is still completely irrelevant as a franchise and quietly believe that this year is just a temporary setback for Chicago."

Reactions: Fro

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
You talking about the CBJ being below average offensively during the 16-17 season? You should really take a look at the goals for that year. Clearly didn't watch much Jackets hockey.
I'm talking about during his tenure there, which is why they made the trade for a higher ceiling offensive player in panarin. They were also 21st in goals for the year before

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I feel like he might take a discount based on his comments but I also want to see him get as much as possible after reading that article. Either way I hope he stays in columbus or comes to colorado lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad