Panarin - Malkin - Kucherov vs Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Kovalchuk vs Bure - Fedorov - Mogilny

Who do you take? (All at peak)

• Panarin - Malkin - Kucherov

Votes: 59 17.6%
  • Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Kovalchuk

Votes: 191 57.0%
  • Bure - Fedorov Mogilny

Votes: 85 25.4%

• Total voters

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Nobody cares what you care about. Your opinion based on stats doesnt dictate if they were good or not

And thats cute - in one breathe, discount Mogilny based on stats and then in the next imply a player such as Nichols couldnt have been better than the greats based on his stats

So you choose to follow stats when it suits you but then make counter arguments that go against stats. You walk conversations into circles because you have no direction, your opinion is entirely based on stats. If you actually did watch themplay as you claim, you wouldnt be arguing that Mogilny is the obviously-worst player, consistently making it seem like its undebatable.

But yeah, keep thinking Artemi Panarin is better than Alexander Mogilny lmfao. You hold those stats you love so dearly tight as Panarin scores 2 points in a series to a division rival.

'I dont care who is more skilled' - yeah, that was real evident when you said Mogilny was the worst player of the group. Remind me what else matters in hockey besides skill (or is it Panarin's incredible stature, coming in at 30+ lbs lighter than Mogilny?)

Mark Messier is the 2nd greatest player ever because thats what his stats and awards say. You got it boss

Lol clearly you care because you're replying.

Reading and comprehension clearly aren't your strong suits. I'm "discounting" Mogilny and Nicholls based on their raw goal total, not sure what you're talking about.

What matters is what players accomplish. Real basic concept. Kovalev was 1 of the most skilled players ever, was he 1 of the best players ever?

I've never said a player ranks top whatever because of raw stats lol. Pt/goal/assist/hart finishes (vs peers, not raw totals), awards, stats (with context), playoff performance, eye test all factor into it. Mogilny passed the eye test (when he bothered to put in the effort) but his resume doesn't match his talent level and it definitely doesn't match the players on this list. His best pts finish was 7th. Those aren't stats, that's his performance vs his peers. And it's not good compared to the others listed.

The poll results speak for themselves. Cheers.

Reactions: Montreal Shadow

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Lol a team led by ovi and kovy and Datsyuk is not going anywhere. Easily the malkin trio

OV has a Smythe and is by far the best playoff goal scorer of the era. Kovy led an average devils team to the SCF while playing injured. Datsyuk was the 1C on a team that made consecutive SCFs. The Malkin trio has a guy in Panarin who has never played in a SCF and is the worst playoff performer of the 2 lines. Also, what exactly does that line offer besides offensive production? OV's line brings similar (better) production but has a physical element from OV and the best 2 way player in the world in Datsyuk. Malkin's line brings nothing except offense.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Lol a team led by ovi and kovy and Datsyuk is not going anywhere. Easily the malkin trio
What?

OV has a Smythe and is by far the best playoff goal scorer of the era. Kovy led an average devils team to the SCF while playing injured. Datsyuk was the 1C on a team that made consecutive SCFs. The Malkin trio has a guy in Panarin who has never played in a SCF and is the worst playoff performer of the 2 lines. Also, what exactly does that line offer besides offensive production? OV's line brings similar (better) production but has a physical element from OV and the best 2 way player in the world in Datsyuk. Malkin's line brings nothing except offense.
Seriously, what's with the hot takes in this thread? lmao

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
What?

Seriously, what's with the hot takes in this thread? lmao

I can accept taking the Malkin line because Malkin and Kucherov are playoff beasts. But it's kind of weird to say a line with 3 guys who led their teams to the SCF can't lead, but then choosing the line with Panarin who hasn't led his teams anywhere.

But I do question the fit of the Malkin line. All 3 are pass first players who need the puck to shine and are weak defensively. On the Datsyuk line, depending on how you want to play, one or both of OV/Kovy can just be pure snipers. As individual players I'd say Malkin and Kucherov are better than Datsyuk and kovy. But as a line, line 2 ticks every box: goals, assists, physicality, selke D, speed, skill.

Mister NJ Devil

May 17, 2023
What an awful post full of strawmen.

Kucherov blows Mogilny out of the water. So far, all the Mogilny side has produced is "bu bu but he was the best and you had to watch him play! He didn’t care, my mom told me!".

Kucherov demolishes him statistically. It’s not like we’re even talking the same tier of player there where there would be an argument. Then throw in playoff performance where Kucherov is one of the best in the modern era and one of the best full-stop. There is literally no argument in Mogilny’s favor besides that one 76-goal season which was also the highest-scoring in history.

Placing Mogilny at Kucherov’s level or above is a f***ing gag. Mogilny was fantastic but clearly a step below Kucherov.

The stats and awards don't even say that. Quit the strawmen.
Trouble reading? The poster I responded to said Mogilny is better than Artemi Panarin, when he said Mogilny was the worst of the bunch.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Mogilny seems to have some kind of hockeycard or videogame star-aura attached to his name.

He has one outlier season in which he was still only 7th in scoring. Was he that good defensively?

Here’s his rank in P/G throughout his career:

Alexander Mogilny

Entered league at age 20

89/90 142

90/91 29

92/93 13

93/94 4

94/95 19

95/96 9

96/97 29

97/98 30

98/99 51

99/00 68

00/01 14

01/02 34

02/03 11

03/04 40

04/05 NA (lockout)

05/06: 113

Retired at age 37

15 seasons included in survey.

Noticeable:

Not very. Elite (4th and 9th) producer in 2 out of his 14 seasons. Mostly hovered between 11th and 40th+ place throughout his career.

This is about peak and he was amazing at his peak, you really only have to go back and watch him to see for yourself

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Considering it’s only peak this is option 3 AINEC

Bure: 60g, 110pts and one of the most dynamic players ever

Fedorov: 56g, 120pts Hart and Selke winner, probably the most well rounded player ever

Mogilny: 76g (in 77 games), 120+pts

Datsyuk and Kovalchuk cannot match the peaks of Fedorov and Mogilny imo

Reactions: Krigsgaldr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad