Series Talk: (P3) San Jose Sharks vs. (M2) Pittsburgh Penguins Pt. II

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I will be happy either way in retrospect, but it would feel absolutely great if they won the cup.

It would also absolutely hurt if they didn't.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Mike Johnson on NHL Tonight said the Pen's dominated for 55 minutes in game 5, so the Pen's should feel good about winning the Cup.

Plowevelski

wuts this SCF thing?
Nov 19, 2010
BASED PETE DaBoAR
Lol no bias at all with anything Pens from Mike Johnson :laugh:

I certainly don't miss some of the personalities on NHLnetwork but do miss the highlights.. even if muted 1/2 the time..

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Pens dominated for 55 minutes while San Jose lead for 50 and won the game.

Guess which side of the coin i'd rather land on?

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Mike Johnson on NHL Tonight said the Pen's dominated for 55 minutes in game 5, so the Pen's should feel good about winning the Cup.

That's that attitude that I think might end up biting the Penguins in the ass. They think "Hey, we played a phenomenal game, but still lost. Just keep playing that exact same way and we'll be sure to win next time!"

Rather than: "We played well but still lost. We'll have to play even better to guarantee we don't lose."

Now, that just may be fans and the media reacting this way and it may be an entirely different story in the locker room.

Bizdits*

Jun 10, 2016
Calgary
First time posting for me. I really enjoy reading everyone's posts. I just wanted to say I'm pulling for you guys. I'm originally from Saskatchewan and I would really like to see Marleau and Thornton hoist the cup. Plus I don't think I can bare to watch that little whiner Crosby hoist the cup again. I have a few thoughts on the series but first I'll see if this goes through. Cheers!

Bizdits*

Jun 10, 2016
Calgary
The Sharks can do this guys. To me the key to the series so far has been defence. The speed of Pittsburgh is killing our defence. The d is having a real hard time breaking out. The good news for me though is that Burns had a really good game 5. Dillon and Polak are killing us. The Sharks need to switch to a 4 man d-core...Burns, Martin, Braun and Vlassic. If they do this I think you can see a completely different team. I agree with the posts on here that the Sharks have got another gear which we haven't seen yet.

Something else I want to comment about is the shots on goal. I've been watching hockey since I was 6 years old (37 years) and I can't count the number of times I've seen a goalie steal a game or series... Case in point I remember when the USA beat Canada in the Canada Cup in 1996 (I think that was the year). That was a best on best tourney and Canada absolutely peppered the states... We out shot them at least 2:1 and we still lost. Mike Richter absolutely stole it. So shots on goal is not everything. I think the Sharks can take this if they switch to a 4 man d-core and Jones continues to play the way he has. And lets get the first goal in game 6 & 7! I can't wait to watch it! Cheers!

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
The Sharks can do this guys. To me the key to the series so far has been defence. The speed of Pittsburgh is killing our defence. The d is having a real hard time breaking out. The good news for me though is that Burns had a really good game 5. Dillon and Polak are killing us. The Sharks need to switch to a 4 man d-core...Burns, Martin, Braun and Vlassic. If they do this I think you can see a completely different team. I agree with the posts on here that the Sharks have got another gear which we haven't seen yet.

Something else I want to comment about is the shots on goal. I've been watching hockey since I was 6 years old (37 years) and I can't count the number of times I've seen a goalie steal a game or series... Case in point I remember when the USA beat Canada in the Canada Cup in 1996 (I think that was the year). That was a best on best tourney and Canada absolutely peppered the states... We out shot them at least 2:1 and we still lost. Mike Richter absolutely stole it. So shots on goal is not everything. I think the Sharks can take this if they switch to a 4 man d-core and Jones continues to play the way he has. And lets get the first goal in game 6 & 7! I can't wait to watch it! Cheers!

I'm all for benching Dillon and Polak too but our top 4 looks pretty tired at times. Just not anywhere close to as conditioned as Letang is who is able to play half a game at high speed. Obviously they need to dig deep and push it the remaining 2 games but the sharks don't have the same legs as the penguins. Hopefully, as the series drags on, the blocked shots and short bench of the penguins starts to tire them out a bit but I wouldn't bet on it.

Bizdits*

Jun 10, 2016
Calgary
Yeah I agree that if they switch to 4 defenceman, the guys are going to be tired as hell... But I think they've got to try because they cannot continue giving up 40 shots per game. I'd rather take my chances with a tired Burns, Braun, Martin & Vlasic than a rested Polak and Dilon. Also remember that Chicago went with a 4 man d throughout the entire playoffs. The Sharks only have 2 games left with 2 days rest in between. Deboer can't worry about saving his guys now... It's time to leave it all on the ice.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah I agree that if they switch to 4 defenceman, the guys are going to be tired as hell... But I think they've got to try because they cannot continue giving up 40 shots per game. I'd rather take my chances with a tired Burns, Braun, Martin & Vlasic than a rested Polak and Dilon. Also remember that Chicago went with a 4 man d throughout the entire playoffs. The Sharks only have 2 games left with 2 days rest in between. Deboer can't worry about saving his guys now... It's time to leave it all on the ice.

They're not getting 40+ shots against purely due to Dillon and Polak. Yeah, they're a decent chunk of it but Vlasic-Braun aren't exactly winning the shot battle against Crosby either. That's just something this team is going to have to accept and counter punch as best they can. They need to not give the Pens momentum with stupid penalties or soft turnovers and they will be fine. If the Sharks come out quickly again in game six, I don't think the Pens are going to have the same response coming back so quickly. They may still come back but not so easily.

At this point, it's whatever it takes. I don't think they need to bench Dillon-Polak entirely at home but similar usage as game five where it's less than normal and more sheltered.

Bizdits*

Jun 10, 2016
Calgary
They're not getting 40+ shots against purely due to Dillon and Polak. Yeah, they're a decent chunk of it but Vlasic-Braun aren't exactly winning the shot battle against Crosby either. That's just something this team is going to have to accept and counter punch as best they can. They need to not give the Pens momentum with stupid penalties or soft turnovers and they will be fine. If the Sharks come out quickly again in game six, I don't think the Pens are going to have the same response coming back so quickly. They may still come back but not so easily.

At this point, it's whatever it takes. I don't think they need to bench Dillon-Polak entirely at home but similar usage as game five where it's less than normal and more sheltered.

I'll take less than normal... Maybe go with a 1-2-1-2-3 cycle

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
couture needs 2 points to move into a tie for 21st all time single playoff scoring leaders. he can tie crosby's mark from 2008-09. but i would be happy with just 1 more so he can knock toews down.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Probably more like 1-2-1-3-2-1-2-3. Although it all depends on Crosby, because Vlasic is gonna be out against him a lot.

They will probably match up Dillon-Polak with Malkin's line. Defensively, they seem to have the most success against them and it's probably because Kunitz and Rust aren't exactly threats on their own.

It's a bit easier to manage their minutes at home with last change. The problem has always been that Pittsburgh will keep possession and pin them in to let Crosby or HBK come out and then chances galore.

Bizdits*

Jun 10, 2016
Calgary
They will probably match up Dillon-Polak with Malkin's line. Defensively, they seem to have the most success against them and it's probably because Kunitz and Rust aren't exactly threats on their own.

It's a bit easier to manage their minutes at home with last change. The problem has always been that Pittsburgh will keep possession and pin them in to let Crosby or HBK come out and then chances galore.

Matching Dillon Polak with Malkins line is scary of **** to me because Malkins line has been deadly against us. Either way, if we don't switch to a 4d system, I don't want to see Dillon Polak get much more than 10min... I'd like to see the other 2 lines with around 25min each.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad