Series Discussion: (P1) Anaheim Ducks vs (WC1) Calgary Flames

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What lineup are youn it's hoping for in Game 1?

My wish:

JG - Money - Ferly
3M
Versteeg - Bennett - Chaisson
Stajan - Lazar - Brouwer
Bouma won't be coming out for Lazar. It will be the usual line-up

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Why would Stajan play the wing?

Lazar seemed much more comfortable playing center. They could switch for faceoffs if needed but Lazar looked good in the middle the last couple games. Well aware that it's likely going to be the same lineup that we've seen the last month or so.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I know. Personally would like Lazar to draw in. He's been really solid.
Bouma has too, I know people like to **** on him because of his contract but he's a good forechecker and penalty killer. I think that is more important than playing Lazar who shouldn't be anywhere other than RW

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Hopefully Ferkland can get Johnny and Mony some space to work.

Fowler out definitely helps us out, but they still have excellent depth on D.

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
Well if we can get out of this series, and all that character and intangibles that we've built for shows up, we probably have a good shot at the whole thing. So in that regards this is a fantastic first series match-up for us.

Man am I both excited and nervous though.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I hope Brouwer can get going this postseason. I don't have high hopes for his point totals but if he puts on a disappearing act when things get chippy and physical then I'll be disappointed.

Man this series would be so perfect for Iggy too

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Really crossing my fingers for Brouwer to show up big in this series. We need all lines firing like our 10 game win streak to be able to go deep. Now would be a perfect time for him to make some big hits and score some big goals to help the team

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Really crossing my fingers for Brouwer to show up big in this series. We need all lines firing like our 10 game win streak to be able to go deep. Now would be a perfect time for him to make some big hits and score some big goals to help the team
Only 3 lines were firing for most of that 10 game streak.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Bouma has too, I know people like to **** on him because of his contract but he's a good forechecker and penalty killer. I think that is more important than playing Lazar who shouldn't be anywhere other than RW

I'm no fan of Bouma (I mean, I like the guy but I think he's pretty bad as an NHLer) but I agree there's no reason to sub Lazar in for him. Lazar has shown nothing, outside of brief flashes that even AHL callups have, to indicate that he should be replacing anyone on the roster during the playoffs.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm no fan of Bouma (I mean, I like the guy but I think he's pretty bad as an NHLer) but I agree there's no reason to sub Lazar in for him. Lazar has shown nothing, outside of brief flashes that even AHL callups have, to indicate that he should be replacing anyone on the roster during the playoffs.

I strongly disagree. Lazar has been notably better than roster players Bouma, Brouwer and at times Chiasson.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
So what needs to go right for us to win this series:

1) Elliott needs to hit a hot streak
2) We need to play Flames hockey, and not try and beat the Ducks at their own game
3) Not engage them physically, because that's playing Ducks hockey; and they're a lot bigger and meaner than we are... plus we'll likely just end up getting a lot of penalties.
4) 3M's need to win against the Getzlaf line
5) Gaudreau/Monahan need to break the Kesler curse
6) 3rd pairing needs to play like 17-18 combined minutes.

Through 6 games

Which is about a minute and a half per game each

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
If Calgary can win game 1 or 2, they'll have a chance. If they go down 2-0 to Anaheim, I think that will be it.

I hope Ferland can bring the tenacity that he had against Vancouver.

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Bouma hits hot streaks where he plays his game really well, and at other times falls off the map and is either invisible or can't move the puck. Right now he's in a cold streak.

If Lazar is anything like Bouma, he's in a hot streak right now, and hungry to stay in the lineup. He hits, he cycles well, he honest to God just plays basically how Troy Brouwer is supposed to be playing. And I get the impression he's already friends with everyone on the team. Based on how he's played in the four games we've seen him, I'd put him in over Bouma.

However, I think we need the physical and shot-blocking elements that Bouma brings against the Ducks. I agree that we shouldn't be trying to beat them at their own game, but we need to be able to respond. Last time we played them, we got spun in circles because we couldn't play to their level. Bouma is one of the few guys on this roster who can.

tl;dr against any other opponent, Lazar. Against the Ducks, Bouma.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I'd almost feel better with Wideman-Engelland as the third pairing. Bartkowski is terrifying when he's out there, just last game he cost us a goal.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I strongly disagree. Lazar has been notably better than roster players Bouma, Brouwer and at times Chiasson.

To be fair, it doesn't take much to look better than Brouwer or Bouma this year. Bouma is a perfect example as to the reason to never give out contracts on career seasons for 4th liners.

Lazar has been impressive as a Flame.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The powerplay has got to be clicking for the Flames to do anything in this series. Elliott has to be great as well. Agree that the third pairing should see the least amount of TOI as possible and preferably only against the Ducks bottom 6. Holding out hope Brouwer starts to show why Treliving gave him that contract, he was pretty good in a couple series for the Blues last year.

Lines I'd l ike to see:
JG-Monahands-Ferk
MattyMikeMike
Steeger-Bennett-Chiasson
Lazar-Stajan-Brouwer
Bouma

Gio-Hamilton
Stone-Brodie
*sigh* - Engelland
Dennis

Looked like they were changing up the PP units for the last couple games, hope either Hamilton or Stone is on the top unit with Brodie for the shots.

Flames HAVE to be engaged physically with the Ducks, in that 2015 series this team just got pushed around. That last game in Anaheim showed the Flames weren't scared of these guys any more. Finish every check, especially on their blueline and their older forwards. Kind of have a feeling Bennett could have a monster series :D

GFG!

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
What I think the Flames' best lineup is

3M
Gaudreau-Monahan-Brouwer
Versteeg-Bennett-Chiasson
Ferland-Stajan-Lazar/Hathaway/Hamilton

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Stone
Kulak-Engelland

Elliott
Johnson

I don't know why Gaudreau-Monahan-Brouwer never became a thing this year, they were very, very good in their limited time together as a line. Brouwer has sunk every other line he's been on and I think against the Ducks it will be more important to mitigate weaknesses than to exploit the team's strengths. I'd like for Bouma to come in because I think he could provide a good forecheck but the 12 players I listed bring more than him overall I think.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
What I think the Flames' best lineup is

3M
Gaudreau-Monahan-Brouwer
Versteeg-Bennett-Chiasson
Ferland-Stajan-Lazar/Hathaway/Hamilton

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Stone
Kulak-Engelland

Elliott
Johnson

I don't know why Gaudreau-Monahan-Brouwer never became a thing this year, they were very, very good in their limited time together as a line. Brouwer has sunk every other line he's been on and I think against the Ducks it will be more important to mitigate weaknesses than to exploit the team's strengths. I'd like for Bouma to come in because I think he could provide a good forecheck but the 12 players I listed bring more than him overall I think.

I don't know what games you were watching, but that most certainly wasn't what I recall. Most of us were screaming to get Brouwer off that line, particularly because it allowed the other team to double up on Johnny coverage wise because Brouwer wasn't a threat.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I'd almost feel better with Wideman-Engelland as the third pairing. Bartkowski is terrifying when he's out there, just last game he cost us a goal.

But can you remember the last time Wideman cost us a goal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad