Owners considering a new league...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
theBob said:
I dont expect at all for this new league to happen, but I think it would honestly save hockey if it did, at the cost of tradition.

I think the cost of tradition would be a big blow IMO. Besides, even if they were to start a new league, can't they sill use the name "NHL", politically incorrect as the name is.

WrightOn

Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
Canadian_man said:
I think the cost of tradition would be a big blow IMO. Besides, even if they were to start a new league, can't they sill use the name "NHL", politically incorrect as the name is.

Nhl..... NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE
The nation of hockey. Not the U.S..
That's how I look at it. :amazed:

YellHockey*

I in the Eye said:
err... the NHL could sell (or transfer) the franchise names to the owner's new league... It can be the same individuals involved (at the NHL level), the same franchises, etc... Just operating under a new entity (or 'brand')... and new business model of their choosing...

And you don't think that there would be anti-trust implications about setting something like this up?

Vic Rattlehead*

Either the owners are serious or it's a bluff. I find this interesting, because we could have two leagues during a lockout(interestin...). The question is though, are these the signs of both sides getting extremely frustrated to the point that they either will never comprimise or will jump to a solution?

What the hell did I just say? :huh: :loony:

EDIT---Owners league would be called the NML(National Moneysaving League) where each city has a name about economics (Winnipeg Moneybags, Detroit Bills..etc).

Yes I know, my attempt at humour failed horribly.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They already got the league. Why don't they just accept the luxury tax and tell the other owners "If any one of you bastards goes over it..... NO IGINLA FOR YOU!!!!"

Even with a salary cap, the Rangers/Leafs/Flyers/Wings, etc of the world will figure a way around it if they need to...

I can't understand why 30 owners can't agree to work descretionarilly within a cap, but can agree to fold a century or so year old business so that they can put a cap in writing and work within it.....

Just accept the luxury tax and be done with it..........

:mad: :banghead: :mad:

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
BlackRedGold said:
And you don't think that there would be anti-trust implications about setting something like this up?

The NHL is a business (a franchisee)... nothing more... The owners can shut down operation - start a new league - and buy, or be transfered, whatever is remnents of the NHL shell at any time... The lawyers will work out the details... The existing obligations outlined by the CBA has been met... The NHLPA and the owners do not have a contract...

It's called how to break a union...

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Benji Frank said:
I can't understand why 30 owners can't agree to work descretionarilly within a cap, but can agree to fold a century or so year old business so that they can put a cap in writing and work within it.....
It's called collusion, and it's illegal. Major League Baseball got into troube for doing it many years ago.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
BlackRedGold said:
No. Some of the owners have venues. The NHL has the team names and the TV contracts, not the owners' new league.

Do you think TSN or CBC is going to pay the same for some new unestablished league as it would for a league with decades of history and with another unestablished league offering a similiar product? The owners wouldn't get nearly as much from its contracts.

But the owners are starting a new league to try and prevent the players from getting the money.

There are plenty of arenas around North America that are NHL calibre and aren't owned by an NHL owner. Saddledome, Rexall Centre, Rose Garden, Houston's new arena, and Arrowhead Pond to name some of them. They could also go into arenas are that are almost NHL calibre like the new Winnipeg arena, Copps Coliseum, Ottawa Civic Centre, Toronto's AHL arena, etc.

The fans would rather watch the best players in the less desireable buildings then the less desireable players in the best buildings.

The players also know if they stick together they can beat the owners' new league and get their buildings from them for a song.

Just one problem with that. There are a lot of players with money. Some of them have done quite well over the years. But they can't compete with the money the owners have at hand. The poorest owner is worth several hundred mil, the richest player is under a hundred mil. They may be able to get some backing, but they would have a hard time with the start up expenses.

Even player pay will be an issue. Will the players league be able to pay as much as the owners league? Probably not. And as much as the players say they are united, most of the players making less than $1M per year will go to whatever league will pay them the most. Europeans? They will go to whatever league will pay them the most. Rookies? They will go to the league that will pay them the most. You will be left with the die hard NHLPA supporters in the players league, and their numbers will slowly dwindle as they see they can still make more money in the owners league.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
who cares hockey is going down the toilet. I saw my fav player win the stanley cup last year and I can live without the NHL forever, I'm focusing 100% on international and Junior hockey. Frankly screw the NHL and the stupid stuborn idiots that run things, including the NHLPA! Both sides can kiss my A$$!

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Vincent_TheGreat said:
who cares hockey is going down the toilet. I saw my fav player win the stanley cup last year and I can live without the NHL forever, I'm focusing 100% on international and Junior hockey. Frankly screw the NHL and the stupid stuborn idiots that run things, including the NHLPA! Both sides can kiss my A$$!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the reason why the league cannot afford to have a lockout. Goodbye expansion markets and new fans.

Vic Rattlehead*

Vincent_TheGreat said:
:shakehead It's all about you isn't who. Who cares about the other fans of hockey, as long as you are happy. :shakehead

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I hope the owners do start another league, when the CBA expires...just use the AHLers/young ones...I know a lot of people won't be too happy about it, but I'm sick and tired of these ridiculous arbitration rulings, and if this is the only way to get rid of these rulings, good for the owners/and even better for the league.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:
The players also know if they stick together they can beat the owners' new league and get their buildings from them for a song.
How much money will the players make in their own league? They would have to incur some of the financial risks. They could actually lose money on venture.

Also, will the players have to turn to an investor to help start the new league? The investor probably would want to turn a profit on the investment.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Vincent_TheGreat said:

You may want to look up the definition of "hockey fan" and try studying it.

MacDaddy TLC*

Hmmm... A SuperLeague maybe? There are probably 10 teams that will say screw you if an attempt to handcuff them with a salary cap is part of the equation. I see 2 leagues forming from the remnants of the NHL-- A superleague with the money teams and better players, and a league that is a step between the AHL and the Super League, kinda like a WHA of the 70s. This league will likely disappear and some teams may be absorbed by the Super league.

WrightOn

Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
Vincent_TheGreat said:

Who cares? i would assume everyone writing on this silly board does....except you, I guess.

BTW, I like Vinny, too.......but I want a season/league/cup, too.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:
Hmmm... A SuperLeague maybe? There are probably 10 teams that will say screw you if an attempt to handcuff them with a salary cap is part of the equation. I see 2 leagues forming from the remnants of the NHL-- A superleague with the money teams and better players, and a league that is a step between the AHL and the Super League, kinda like a WHA of the 70s. This league will likely disappear and some teams may be absorbed by the Super league.

oh boy. :help:

Vic Rattlehead*

Lionel Hutz said:
I'm curious as to why you have posted over 1800 times on a hockey board if your alleigance is that weak.
You got him there.

No proclaimed fan of hockey should just give up.

Maybe this new league would be a way to make hockey more exciting and filter out the useless(I know, that's a horrible term to use) players out. :dunno:

I just hope the CBA is resolved soon. :banghead:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Canadian_man said:

why are you guys so surprised by this? what tradition will be lost should the owners fold the NHL and start a new league?

1. the owners own the team names, logos, histories and so forth for each of their hockey teams. that means the new league would have the leafs, bruins, habs, senators, rangers, islanders and so on. the championship trophy would still be the stanley cup. even most of the players would be the same.

2. if the owners fold the nhl, there will be no arena problems. the contracts for the arenas are with the hockey teams, not the nhl. those leases would remain in effect.

YellHockey*

txpd said:
the championship trophy would still be the stanley cup.

Are you sure about that?

The NHL is not the rightful owner of the Stanley Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad