Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
In your opinion, but respectful, that's the same as anyone else on here.

You've never really answered why you care so much about the Attack? You're on here daily but never really seem all that happy about it? I probably wouldn't like other teams boards either, but Im not on them daily, Im barely on here now lol.
I told you way back, Im a season ticket holder in Kingston,, Grew up watching the Canadiens, Raiders and Fronts. In the short time that Stewart was here, he was my favorite player. I saw how he was with all the kids after games and interacted with the fans. I watch Attack games when I can, and when the Fronts aren't playing. I met him once with my granddaughter and I know Pooles' billets, so I have a little knowledge of the kid. I'm happy to see him get a chance and I'm happy for all the kids to enjoy themselves. Alot of kids don't take the time for the fans, especially the little ones. I will say that Owen Sound looks like the most engaged team in the leaugue with your fans. Especailly the crew that hangs out by the tunnel where your guys come out. That is special for those kids.
There is the explanation you've been wanting

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I told you way back, Im a season ticket holder in Kingston,, Grew up watching the Canadiens, Raiders and Fronts. In the short time that Stewart was here, he was my favorite player. I saw how he was with all the kids after games and interacted with the fans. I watch Attack games when I can, and when the Fronts aren't playing. I met him once with my granddaughter and I know Pooles' billets, so I have a little knowledge of the kid. I'm happy to see him get a chance and I'm happy for all the kids to enjoy themselves. Alot of kids don't take the time for the fans, especially the little ones. I will say that Owen Sound looks like the most engaged team in the leaugue with your fans. Especailly the crew that hangs out by the tunnel where your guys come out. That is special for those kids.
There is the explanation you've been wanting
That helps a bit, it makes sense. I've seen you pretty aggressive and seemingly (but I'm not sure) emotionally defending Poole with other posters the same way you do with Stewart here. I agree, he seems to be a great kid. Engaging with the fanbase has been part of the culture that the Owen Sound ownership group has created here, and it's something that's passed down from player to player over my 15 or so years here regardless.

I think it's a bit hard for many of us long time fans to have someone come on here and mostly trash talk the organization. Telling them that what they build and the philosophy they have is wrong. Its certainly your prerogative, but at the same time I think it's one of those things you need to be engaged with it to get a feel for what it is. See the kids around the town, hear about former players becoming Doctors, them coming back for visits, etc. I think both 'HockeyPops' and 'Bobber' where both unsure why you here so adamant about it given, you're really not an Attack fan, just a fan of a single player.

This year has been disappointing because we've been waiting 3 years for it, but even then, I still will defend the ownerships group and their investment in the team and the community at large. I commend them because weather or not you agree with them, they are the ones that kept the team here and without them stepping up, we'd be cheering the Cornwall (insert Ontario City here) Attack. They attend games, sit with fans and will listen to all feedback. I don't know how many other owners do that in this league, but I respect them for doing it.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
That helps a bit, it makes sense. I've seen you pretty aggressive and seemingly (but I'm not sure) emotionally defending Poole with other posters the same way you do with Stewart here. I agree, he seems to be a great kid. Engaging with the fanbase has been part of the culture that the Owen Sound ownership group has created here, and it's something that's passed down from player to player over my 15 or so years here regardless.

I think it's a bit hard for many of us long time fans to have someone come on here and mostly trash talk the organization. Telling them that what they build and the philosophy they have is wrong. Its certainly your prerogative, but at the same time I think it's one of those things you need to be engaged with it to get a feel for what it is. See the kids around the town, hear about former players becoming Doctors, them coming back for visits, etc. I think both 'HockeyPops' and 'Bobber' where both unsure why you here so adamant about it given, you're really not an Attack fan, just a fan of a single player.

This year has been disappointing because we've been waiting 3 years for it, but even then, I still will defend the ownerships group and their investment in the team and the community at large. I commend them because weather or not you agree with them, they are the ones that kept the team here and without them stepping up, we'd be cheering the Cornwall (insert Ontario City here) Attack. They attend games, sit with fans and will listen to all feedback. I don't know how many other owners do that in this league, but I respect them for doing it.
I agree with your take on someone paying the bills there. It is a unique situation for sure. I know some kids who have played there and liked it. I personally think Stewart should be used more, but that is only my opinion. Enough of that. It is an expensive proposition to own an OHL team. My problem and I have the same issue with the ownership here. I think Springer has more money than your group up there, so the situation here is a tax writeoff for him. Where I would say your owners are doing their best to run a good respectable organization and not lose a whole bunch. No matter how much you are owning the team for the right reasons, losing money sucks. Maybe this explains the half in trade deadline moves by Degray. I feel you have a better team than is showing. Playoffs are right around the corner and maybe things turn around. Maybe the owners count on those couple extra playoff games to make it financially worthwhile? Although wouldn't a 3 day playoff road trip to the Soo for instance cut into those profits?
Good luck to the Attack in their playoff run

Reactions: OSattackfan

Hockeytaxidriver

Apr 5, 2023
People in this chat really need wake up. We can clearly see there is favouritism on this team and this is not based off performance. We CAN NOT keep playing with 6 forwards and 3 D ever game. Reason we’re on a losing streak and most likely will continue.
As I’ve been watching the D closely and even watch the game on replay (which 99% of this chat doesn’t do) there needs to be a change.
1. Play everyone with consistency and where they belong! I say this because we got a 12 round pick falling down and getting blown by basically every game. You want proof well the Barry game first goal he didn’t pick up his guy so there you go.

now let’s see how good everyone’s memory is. We had 28 and 9 playing together on the first line with 24 and 5 on the second and we were on a 5 game win streak. With #9 almost AVERAGING 2 points a game with 28 as his partner. We clearly need to put these 2 back together to get something going and to change things up like everyone has been saying to do! Also to add we were 6-1, will the coaches decided to move 28 and put 24 back? why do this when we were winning comfortably before. Now look where we are now.
Moving on to the other D. 6 isn’t what we expected. always out of position, blames others on the ice with his facial expressions (meanwhile it was his own fault) and falls on average 5 times a game. Don’t believe it watch his first shift last game where he pinched and it came back for a 2 on 1. He came back in the zone and fell. when you can’t skate and are constantly falling good luck playing against the top teams on even at the next level. This also goes for the other D that can’t skate. 5,24.

Let’s make some other things clear now. Where is our other goalie you guys should be asking. Forwards need to play MINIMUM 3 lines. Forwards also need to start including the D in the play meaning pass the puck to the D in the offensive zone. When a D is rushing in with the forwards they should look to do a passing play and not try to be a hero!!

They need to start playing as a team and the only way that will happen is if things change and the coaches actually start playing some other guys that are just sitting there. And they should not be punished for making a mistake since they have been consistently sitting watching the 2 other lines play. That can make all the mistakes they want and continue to go out.

Blame DD and the coaches. We were supposed to be a top team this year but look at us now. There is no development here, only favours to the few.
If anyone wants any clarification go watch practices.

Bear in the Woods

Nov 21, 2017
People in this chat really need wake up. We can clearly see there is favoritism on this team and this is not based off performance. We CAN NOT keep playing with 6 forwards and 3 D ever game. Reason we’re on a losing streak and most likely will continue.
As I’ve been watching the D closely and even watch the game on replay (which 99% of this chat doesn’t do) there needs to be a change.
1. Play everyone with consistency and where they belong! I say this because we got a 12 round pick falling down and getting blown by basically every game. You want proof well the Barry game first goal he didn’t pick up his guy so there you go.

now let’s see how good everyone’s memory is. We had 28 and 9 playing together on the first line with 24 and 5 on the second and we were on a 5 game win streak. With #9 almost AVERAGING 2 points a game with 28 as his partner. We clearly need to put these 2 back together to get something going and to change things up like everyone has been saying to do! Also to add we were 6-1, will the coaches decided to move 28 and put 24 back? why do this when we were winning comfortably before. Now look where we are now.
Moving on to the other D. 6 isn’t what we expected. always out of position, blames others on the ice with his facial expressions (meanwhile it was his own fault) and falls on average 5 times a game. Don’t believe it watch his first shift last game where he pinched and it came back for a 2 on 1. He came back in the zone and fell. when you can’t skate and are constantly falling good luck playing against the top teams on even at the next level. This also goes for the other D that can’t skate. 5,24.

Let’s make some other things clear now. Where is our other goalie you guys should be asking. Forwards need to play MINIMUM 3 lines. Forwards also need to start including the D in the play meaning pass the puck to the D in the offensive zone. When a D is rushing in with the forwards they should look to do a passing play and not try to be a hero!!

They need to start playing as a team and the only way that will happen is if things change and the coaches actually start playing some other guys that are just sitting there. And they should not be punished for making a mistake since they have been consistently sitting watching the 2 other lines play. That can make all the mistakes they want and continue to go out.

Blame DD and the coaches. We were supposed to be a top team this year but look at us now. There is no development here, only favours to the few.
You see favoritism.
Over playing your top 6 players could also be seen as desperation.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
People in this chat really need wake up. We can clearly see there is favouritism on this team and this is not based off performance. We CAN NOT keep playing with 6 forwards and 3 D ever game. Reason we’re on a losing streak and most likely will continue.

This is your lucky day.
Lucky beyond belief.

Reactions: PensFan101

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

If 28 played with the same edge that Smith and Jordan play with, he'd play with Sedley more. Petrovsky has all the tools, but without the aggressive nature the pair would be missing that edge that every pair needs.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022

I attend every practice and have NEVER seen favoritism towards any player...or a lack of "teaching"....

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Petes fan here. What are OS fans thoughts on the contribution by Smith and McCue?
Just my own opinion but for me at least, McCue has had the bigger impact. He's been an asset on the forecheck and goes to the hard areas of the ice. He's chipped in some much needed secondary scoring and been very active in the play.

Smith has been ok. Definitely made the D group better but maybe not made the impact we had hoped. He's a bit of a rover which can get him into trouble at times. I think for the most part though he's been solid.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Really liked Hookey's game of late. We seem to be seeing the Hookey from early in the season that started so well. Great to see.

The D mix and match with Steen out of the lineup as had it's ups and downs but they are starting to look a little more comfortable with it. It's been a bonus to get Ethier and G.Smith mixed into the lineup. I thought G.Smith made some really clean breakout passes tonight and was pretty poised with the puck. He looks more and more comfortable with every game. Some typical rookie mistakes at times but totally to be expected. I think he's going to be a solid D man for them next season.

Petrovski is an underrated player for me. I really enjoy watching him play. Do I wish he would be a little more physical, sure, but he's so smooth out there and covers a bunch of ice. I think we'll see him really take off next season with more playing time and an expanded role like PP1 QB.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
I to attend every practice and also have never seen any favoritism. Besides a ton of hard work by everyone on ice the only thing I see are 4-5 old guys sitting watching practice and discussing the worlds problems :naughty:
I hear they are able to solve all the problems...

• Haha
Reactions: KFawcett

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Just my own opinion but for me at least, McCue has had the bigger impact. He's been an asset on the forecheck and goes to the hard areas of the ice. He's chipped in some much needed secondary scoring and been very active in the play.

Smith has been ok. Definitely made the D group better but maybe not made the impact we had hoped. He's a bit of a rover which can get him into trouble at times. I think for the most part though he's been solid.
I think Mccue started off quickly but has cooled back more to what i saw of him in peterborough. Smith has surprised me as to how often he is pout of position and lost in his own zone. I guess on that strong petes team he was insulated more. Hopefully he finds his game.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Good piece today from Greg Cowan. Tough to read that he wanted to come back and tried to come back to try and win a championship in Owen Sound but Montreal said no. What could have been...

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
Good piece today from Greg Cowan. Tough to read that he wanted to come back and tried to come back to try and win a championship in Owen Sound but Montreal said no. What could have been...

Why would the Habs treat him like that? He wanted to come back and would have came out of it a better player.

Reactions: nelli27

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Why would the Habs treat him like that? He wanted to come back and would have came out of it a better player.
The GM of Montreal was relieved of his duties a few years later . By all accounts the Attack were lead to believe he would be sent back .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad