Value of: Owen Power

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
They shouldnt try to run bo, dahlin and power separately. People dream about that and it may work when these kids are old vets. But right now, bo needs to be on the ice with buffalo's best forwards and get PP time. He excells given responsibility to produce points, both his D and O are better when hes confident. Bo can play big big minutes, he doesnt want to be sheltered. Him playing with 3/4 liners against 3/4 liners is not gonna go well.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Considering Dahlin perfers the right size, and both Byram and Samuelsson have massive durability issues, I actually think they're in a perfect spot in terms of depth.

Imo the need to add one more quality all-round #2/3 RHD (think prime Jeff Petry) to finish off the core of their defence. Someone like Brett Pesce on July 1st would be an outstanding fit.

Byram/Samuelsson-Dalhin
Power-Pesce
Byram/Samuelsson-Joker

That would actually give BUF a deep and well balenced D core for the first time since... Myers' rookie season?

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I'll play along. Do note: There is an approximately 0.0001% chance that Power is actually available at present.

My guess is this: If Power is traded, he's likely packaged with something else nice in a bigger deal that allows us to fill our 2 most glaring holes at once:

1.) Top 4 RHD that PKs well, brings a modicum of physicality AND has term
2.) Middle 6 center that PKs well, wins faceoffs, brings a modicum of physicality, has a 200 foot game AND has term

And when I say "packaged with something else nice", I mean: Peterka, Krebs, 2024 1st, 2025 1st, Savoie, Kulich, Rosen.........maybe Ostlund. That kind of thing.

So it'd be a mega-deal.
My two thoughts for them were:
1) Power for Parayko + St. Louis 1st
2) Krebs+ for Cirelli (opening cap for Tampa to add Hanifin and resign Stamkos)

Not one deal but that certainly would check both those boxes, I think the additions would be harder to pin down on the first one

Reactions: Blueston

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Lol,

You guys can’t be serious?

Number 1 defensman is not available unless it’s for mcdavid makat etc and even then.. not available.

Reactions: freester

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Considering Dahlin perfers the right size, and both Byram and Samuelsson have massive durability issues, I actually think they're in a perfect spot in terms of depth.

Imo the need to add one more quality all-round #2/3 RHD (think prime Jeff Petry) to finish off the core of their defence. Someone like Brett Pesce on July 1st would be an outstanding fit.
Have actually thought he exactly would be a good fit too and is the more likely route, he's also from New York. I just think all the shutdown RD that are free agents this summer have a chance to be really, really badly overpaid. Ottawa might give Tanev 6 million a year lol

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Byram/Samuelsson-Dalhin
Power-Pesce
Byram/Samuelsson-Joker

That would actually give BUF a deep and well balenced D core for the first time since... Myers' rookie season?
Samuelsson makes sense as the 5D. Modern day defense doesnt need the top pairing to have a stay at home guy.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Not one deal but that certainly would check both those boxes, I think the additions would be harder to pin down on the first one

Hell no on Parayko

Power is going to be the next Pronger/Konstantinov.

Offers should reflect this 🤐

• Haha
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Byram/Samuelsson-Dalhin
Power-Pesce
Byram/Samuelsson-Joker

They tried to trade for Pesce last summer and Brett said no as is his right with trade protection in his contract. I'm not sure he's going to jump at the opportunity in free agency without it being way more than he would be worth now which then raises how do they pay all of those defensemen when Byram's deal is up.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
They shouldnt try to run bo, dahlin and power separately. People dream about that and it may work when these kids are old vets. But right now, bo needs to be on the ice with buffalo's best forwards and get PP time. He excells given responsibility to produce points, both his D and O are better when hes confident. Bo can play big big minutes, he doesnt want to be sheltered. Him playing with 3/4 liners against 3/4 liners is not gonna go well.
Byram-Dahlin will be the top pairing for the foreseeable future. Theyve been toying with teams so far. Power will anchor the 2nd pairing, and should be a mismatch nightmare for other teams to play against. All 3 will be leaned on A LOT in crunch time.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca

Byram/Samuelsson-Dalhin
Power-Pesce
Byram/Samuelsson-Joker

You’re forgetting Connor Clifton for two more years at $3.33m. I would love Pesce over Jokiharju, but for budget reasons I’m assuming he’s resigned around the Clifton/Samuelsson range per season for 3 years.

Byram-Dahlin
Power-Jokiharju
Samuelsson-Clifton
Bryson (vet minimum resign)
Ryan Johnson (first call up from AHL)

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
1.) Top 4 RHD that PKs well, brings a modicum of physicality AND has term
2.) Middle 6 center that PKs well, wins faceoffs, brings a modicum of physicality, has a 200 foot game AND has term

Boy do the Blues have a deal for you.

Faulk has term, is physical AND has experience and Pk's well.
Hayes is a fantastic middle 6 center.
We'll even add Buchnevich to the deal so you can dump him for assets at the TDL next year or extend him. He's a great defensive forward and believe it or not, he's even good as a center.
If you really twist our arm we'll add Sammy Blais and a 2nd.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018

I’ll be honest not interested in Parayko at all if it meant Power was going the other way. That contract scares me as Parayko ages. Power is Adams gem, his first draft as the real GM, there’s no way he’s trading Power unless it’s something absurd.

I think Sabres would love to get a few seasons seeing what Dahlin, Power, and Byram can do as Buffalo’s top 3.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If someone offered a price based on his draft status it would be wise to move him

Going to spend lot of money with Dahlin/Byram/Power from 2025->

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
They're building one of the most high potential defensive group of the cap era. I doubt they'll want to move on from Power

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I’ll be honest not interested in Parayko at all if it meant Power was going the other way. That contract scares me as Parayko ages. Power is Adams gem, his first draft as the real GM, there’s no way he’s trading Power unless it’s something absurd.

I think Sabres would love to get a few seasons seeing what Dahlin, Power, and Byram can do as Buffalo’s top 3.
Fair, but I don't know if the cap will allow them to really do it past next season if Byram continues to impress.

I can see the desire to have the three headed monster I just genuinely don't know if you'll be able to get the best out of all 3 of them on one team

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
They're building one of the most high potential defensive group of the cap era. I doubt they'll want to move on from Power
Yeah but they're paying them all market value, they're going to have like 28 million wrapped up in their top 3 D in a couple seasons

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Fair, but I don't know if the cap will allow them to really do it past next season if Byram continues to impress.

I can see the desire to have the three headed monster I just genuinely don't know if you'll be able to get the best out of all 3 of them on one team
Adams has shown a propensity to offer extensions early. He’s probably already making plans for Byram, who will likely command about 8 if Adams waits until next offseason.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he tries to tie up Bo this offseason with something like a 7 by 7.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Sabres have just been running 2 D-man on the first PP unit in Dahlin and Byram and have Power on the 2nd unit.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
This idea seems to make sense, but I also didn't realize Dahlin plays the right side really well (even better?). So Buffalo is fine to keep all 3.

That said, if Buffalo was to entertain it its not like the return wouldn't be massive. The idea of moving him would be to get an equal core piece at another position - ala Jones / Johansen type deal.

Those are rare trades to find though, Buffalo's probably best off just taking the 3 headed monster they have & moving forward with it as a huge competitive advantage.

Reactions: Satanphonehome

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I find it weird that people would think that the Sabres would be looking to trade away a top 4 defenceman away within a week of Kevyn Adams saying he's been looking to add one for 2 years.

I also find it weird that people would think Adams would be shopping Owen Power just six months after signing him to a 7-year extension.

The handedness thing I sorta get from a distance, but the answer is pretty clear and has been repeated numerous times on this board: Rasmus Dahlin prefers to play, and is playing, the right side.

And since the trade, Byram has played the top pairing and 1st PP with Dahlin, while Power has played the 2nd PP and 2nd pairing — just like he was before Byram arrived. Dahlin has skated 25:36 a night, Byram 24:21 and Power 22:43.

It seems there actually is enough ice time for 3 good defencemen to share on one team. Who knew?

Here's some more food for thought:
34 U24 defencemen have played 40 games in the NHL this year.
5 of those defencemen are Buffalo Sabres.
3 of those Sabres are among the top 9 of those 34 in scoring.
Each of those 3 was the first defenceman taken in his particular draft
Despite all that youth (and popular perception) the Sabres are the 11th-best team in the NHL this year at keeping the puck out of their net

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad