Value of: Owen Power

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
With the Byram addition, is he available? Sabres best 4 D (arguably 5) are lefties, and I don't know if that's sustainable. Also can't see either of Byram or Power being a #3 guy long term. Dahlin and obviously Byram are going nowhere, Samuelsson brings a different element, is on a good deal and probably doesn't return his equivalent value, Ryan Johnson has more upside than value.

Power seems like the logical one to go if they opt for a big shakeup, could he be available and what would they be looking for? Assuming it would include multiple pieces like a RD + forward

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Doesn't one of them (Dahlin?) play the right side? Also, probably not a good idea to move Power until Byram shows he is past injury concerns (unless the team feels that Power's value is as high as it will ever be, but that seems unlikely).

Plus, at that point move a lesser LD for a decent, defensive RD and run 3 pairs that can play 20 minutes a night so you don't wear out your stud D.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Doesn't one of them (Dahlin?) play the right side? Also, probably not a good idea to move Power until Byram shows he is past injury concerns (unless the team feels that Power's value is as high as it will ever be, but that seems unlikely).

Plus, at that point move a lesser LD for a decent, defensive RD and run 3 pairs that can play 20 minutes a night so you don't wear out your stud D.

Dahlin’s best has been on the right.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Pretty sure the point of adding Byram was to *add* a top 4 defenseman, not replace one.

Guessing when Samuelsson’s healthy, well run:
Byram-Dahlin
Power-Samuelsson
Johnson-Jokiharju

(Or maybe Sammy and Joker are flipped.)
Just wondering if they'd look to get someone to play on their correct side and better balance the D core. Thinking they could afford to take a step back on Power to improve the lineup elsewhere and I think he and Byram are going to occupy pretty similar roles

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Power ain't going anywhere outside of a team offering a king's ransom. I don't think Adams wants to part ways with any of the heads of the three headed monster on defense.

It's going to be such an advantage over teams to have one of Power, Dahlin, and Byram on the ice for a majority of the game. In crunch time, you'll probably see Granato rotate those three for most of the period.

If Buffalo ever becomes a contender- it's going to be from their defense being miles better than most other defenses they play against. Let's just hope Byram continues being a two-way beast who is dynamic offensively and Power becomes a poor man's Scott Neidermayer.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Just wondering if they'd look to get someone to play on their correct side and better balance the D core. Thinking they could afford to take a step back on Power to improve the lineup elsewhere and I think he and Byram are going to occupy pretty similar roles
Dahlin is more comfortable on his right side, and the eye test supports that. Byram, Power, and Johnsom are likely holding down the left side for the foreseeable future. Dahlin, Samuelsson, and Clifford will hold down the right side.

But...Dahlin, Power, and Byram will all be leaned on a lot. They'll get PP time, PK time, more minutes when trailing, etc...it's going to be crazy when all 3 of them are in their prime.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
With the Byram addition, is he available? Sabres best 4 D (arguably 5) are lefties, and I don't know if that's sustainable. Also can't see either of Byram or Power being a #3 guy long term. Dahlin and obviously Byram are going nowhere, Samuelsson brings a different element, is on a good deal and probably doesn't return his equivalent value, Ryan Johnson has more upside than value.

Power seems like the logical one to go if they opt for a big shakeup, could he be available and what would they be looking for? Assuming it would include multiple pieces like a RD + forward
Dahlin pre draft yr played at RD. He's better on that side.

LD--Bynam. Power, Samuelsson, Bryson (RFA), Ryan Johnson(ELC)
RD Dshlin, Jokiharju (RFA), Clifton

In the land of hypothetical Powrr could be traded....in REality highly unlikrly.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Dahlin is better on the right side than the left. Samuelsson has also played a bunch of good hockey on that side. Johnson hasn’t played that side as a pro, but he did some time on the right side in college. I don’t think we actually have a problem here. And I certainly don’t think our front office, having spent the last 2 years trying to trade for every young top 4 D that became available and finally landing one, is eager to immediately turn around and make their defense worse again.

“The line-up elsewhere”(ie, our forwards) is young as shit and has a bunch of high end prospects still coming. There isn’t really a talent deficit that needs to be bridged by trading a recent #1 overall pick.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Dahlin is better on the right side than the left. Samuelsson has also played a bunch of good hockey on that side. Johnson hasn’t played that side as a pro, but he did some time on the right side in college. I don’t think we actually have a problem here. And I certainly don’t think our front office, having spent the last 2 years trying to trade for every young top 4 D that became available and finally landing one, is eager to immediately turn around and make their defense worse again.

“The line-up elsewhere”(ie, our forwards) is young as shit and has a bunch of high end prospects still coming. There isn’t really a talent deficit that needs to be bridged by trading a recent #1 overall pick.
I'm not proposing that though, I'd think they'd be looking at something like a RD who is a little older and currently in their prime as well as futures and/or a body up front. Andersson who was suggested is the type of name I'm thinking that would be involved, a natural RD who will be an upgrade on Power for a season or two to help Buffalo take a step next season plus some other assets. Buffalo would 100% be giving up the best asset and before the Byram deal I wouldn't have thought it could be a consideration but just curious if there'd be a deal that's a good enough fit and vaults Buffalo into a secure playoff spot next year

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Seems like the Ducks already have a lot of LHD prospects though right?

Zellweger is playing right side in his first NHL games, having done so a fair bit previously as well. Not certain that's the plan long term but sort of looking that way right now.

Power - Zellweger
Mintyukov - Luneau

Looks like a pretty good future top 4 in theory. Beyond the two blue chippers in the current NHL lineup (Mintyukov/Zellweger), we do have some quality young LHD in the system, but they don't have Power's ceiling nor his floor. If a deal like this creates a bit of a surplus, we can just trade a quality D prospect in a deal to fill other needs. I like the look of Tyson Hinds to add a steady stay at home presence to the group some day, maybe a guy like Jackson Lacombe becomes trade bait at some point.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Dahlin pre draft yr played at RD. He's better on that side.

LD--Bynam. Power, Samuelsson, Bryson (RFA), Ryan Johnson(ELC)
RD Dshlin, Jokiharju (RFA), Clifton

In the land of hypothetical Powrr could be traded....in REality highly unlikrly.
Boy have I got news for you

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'll play along. Do note: There is an approximately 0.0001% chance that Power is actually available at present.

My guess is this: If Power is traded, he's likely packaged with something else nice in a bigger deal that allows us to fill our 2 most glaring holes at once:

1.) Top 4 RHD that PKs well, brings a modicum of physicality AND has term
2.) Middle 6 center that PKs well, wins faceoffs, brings a modicum of physicality, has a 200 foot game AND has term

And when I say "packaged with something else nice", I mean: Peterka, Krebs, 2024 1st, 2025 1st, Savoie, Kulich, Rosen.........maybe Ostlund. That kind of thing.

So it'd be a mega-deal.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Unless the Ducks get 1st OA they should probably be taking one of the top 5 defensemen in the draft. Lindstrom's injury and lack of refined skill probably drop him down in the draft
Ducks forum are obsessed with size…. Lindstrom isn’t the play at our pick.
Just go levshunov or Dickinson

I don’t really see why we’d aim at power, I also don’t think our goal is to keep zellweger on his off hand side. Just throw some money at Roy in free agency

Reactions: lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2