Prospect Info: Owen Pickering, 21st Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
And perhaps they trade him to another team for a year or two to let them take care of some of that pesky coaching stuff then re-acquire them for another first round pick.
Only after it's made blatantly obvious he's the cap casualty.

In all seriousness, isn't it kinda consensus that Pickering's about that long away? He was kind of known to be a longer term project when picked, being 600ft tall and weighing all of 120lbs after an apparent freakish year of growth spurt. :laugh:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Only after it's made blatantly obvious he's the cap casualty.

In all seriousness, isn't it kinda consensus that Pickering's about that long away? He was kind of known to be a longer term project when picked, being 600ft tall and weighing all of 120lbs after an apparent freakish year of growth spurt. :laugh:

Impossible to say, honestly. He certainly has a bit to do before being comfortable in his new-ish frame. But to my eyes he has terrific puck skills and vision from the back end at least offensively. Which is good because most of that will be coached out of him so it helps to have extra. His awareness and in-zone work needs some polish for sure but he might surprise and be ready faster than expected.

But yeah I mean... I think it's wise to assume he has a longer projection than some. Plus being a defenseman always requires a bit more time unless you're just a freakish talent.

Regardless he's probably the most promising pick they've made in the first round in forever. Since I'm kinda stoked on his future it almost certainly means bad things for him, though. Sorry, Owen!

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Impossible to say, honestly. He certainly has a bit to do before being comfortable in his new-ish frame. But to my eyes he has terrific puck skills and vision from the back end at least offensively. Which is good because most of that will be coached out of him so it helps to have extra. His awareness and in-zone work needs some polish for sure but he might surprise and be ready faster than expected.

But yeah I mean... I think it's wise to assume he has a longer projection than some. Plus being a defenseman always requires a bit more time unless you're just a freakish talent.

Regardless he's probably the most promising pick they've made in the first round in forever. Since I'm kinda stoked on his future it almost certainly means bad things for him, though. Sorry, Owen!
I can't believe you just publicly doomed that kid's career, man. :laugh:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I know :(

This all started with Morozov years ago, man. It's a curse. Or I just have a REALLY shit eye for draft talent lol

EDIT: Like... for instance... I was a big Beau fan.

WOMP WOMP

Honestly you had Bennett correct. He had all the tools. But he just couldn't be healthy enough to play in the NHL. Can't predict that

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Honestly you had Bennett correct. He had all the tools. But he just couldn't be healthy enough to play in the NHL. Can't predict that

I thought so, too. But I really do think I'm a pariah sometimes. Feels like any time I get stoked for a player they end up shitting the bed. Probably explains some things about my behavior on this board haha

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I wanted the winger that the Caps drafted. But Pens think with time as he matures into his body and at say age 22 or 23 he is ready for prime time at 6-5 215/220 and Pens have a number 1 LD for years. Add in Smith and maybe POJ and at least the Pens have the beginnings of a better LD. This draft, RD is a hole with Petry, Rutta older and gone in a couple. I have no idea if the college FA players can play. My guess is maybe one becomes a solid RD but not a top pairing guy.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Can we call him up? For 9 games? Asking for a friend
Dumo.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad