Overlooked American with CHL offer

Even Strength

Sep 25, 2015
My son is a late 00 who was invited to a CHL camp last year and received a contract offer. He's a very big, solid forward, with good hands, who skates very well--kept up easily with whole team. We decided it was too early to go the CHL route as he has really been focused on NCAA. He went to camp primarily to see how he would compete.

The team he's on this year (its a new team for him) has, so far, been a big disappointment. Coach recruited a number of older players and they're the ones playing first line and getting literally ALL PP and PK even though other lines produce more when they play. My son is miserable. There appears to be little chance for development or NCAA notice for him. Not sure it will get better next year if he stays because the coach could do the same thing. So here's a kid that a top CHL coach wanted at 15 after watching him one day on ice who is languishing.

We definitely screwed up but it wasn't clear from recent history that this situation would have been possible and the coach said all the right things, "best kids play, no one's ice is guaranteed,...etc.", which was all we could expect. Evidently he was telling other kids different things. We are seriously considering moving him North next season. Holding out for NCAA in the current situation seems wishful. Why not let him give it his best chance with the best and see if he really has a future?

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Has your son been drafted by a CHL team?

Sounds like a no, but I could be wrong. Pretty cool he got to go to a camp, regardless.

IMO, good on you to recognize mistakes as a parent and also good to let your boy choose for himself where he wants to go. If he's wanting to go the CHL path, maybe contact the team he tried out for?

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
If your son was good enough to get a try-out in the first place and they were impressed with him i'm surprised they wouldn't still be in touch? I know where draft picks are concerned that teams often keep in touch with the family to see how things are going and if they might change their mind? As a hockey father i can feel your disappointment though.

The Soo Greyhounds have always had a good rapport with American born players. We currently have 4 on the team this year and i believe had up to 5 in previous years? Best of luck you to though!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The BCHL is terrific developmental league and the kids keep university eligibility.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
The BCHL is terrific developmental league and the kids keep university eligibility.

As mentioned above i think any league just below the CHL level has great exposure to the NCAA teams. Not sure which part of the country you currently live in but they all get scouted and eligibility is intact.

Even Strength

Sep 25, 2015

He was a late round draft pick and the team is really after him to come next year. The coach said he would take him right now if that was possible! That's not realistic since it would completely throw off his schooling, but my inclination is to let him go. With CHL education packages and the possibility of playing CIS if he wanted to it seems to me there isn't really much downside. Especially since I wouldn't have to write any more checks for hockey!

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
He was a late round draft pick and the team is really after him to come next year. The coach said he would take him right now if that was possible! That's not realistic since it would completely throw off his schooling, but my inclination is to let him go. With CHL education packages and the possibility of playing CIS if he wanted to it seems to me there isn't really much downside. Especially since I wouldn't have to write any more checks for hockey!

Well unless he's currently playing in the USHL, I'd take the sure thing (sounds as if a NCAA scholarship isn't secured just yet) and sign on with the OHL team. If they can't take him on this year, he can finish out the year where he's at and then join the team full time the next year. Plenty of players that are drafted outside the first three rounds do this. But as I said, if he's playing USHL now, signing with an OHL team would void him playing there...I think. Don't quote me on that. That may also apply to other USA leagues too IIRC.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
This sounds reminiscent of a parent on the Niagara Fan site last year who's little darling was the Creator's gift to hockey in every way except in recorded statistics. Ultimately he didn't survive camp and the father had a few lengthy rants about corruption and the IceDogs' failure to recognize talent.

Even Strength

Sep 25, 2015
This sounds reminiscent of a parent on the Niagara Fan site last year who's little darling was the Creator's gift to hockey in every way except in recorded statistics. Ultimately he didn't survive camp and the father had a few lengthy rants about corruption and the IceDogs' failure to recognize talent.

I understand how you might think that but he truly was offered a contract and was already offered for next season. I'm actually a little surprised by the coach's enthusiasm for him, but he really has sort of slipped through the cracks as we moved in the middle of his youth career and he sort of had to start over again with most good teams already set. Since we wanted to preserve NCAA eligibility we only stayed at the CHL camp for 2 days and he got offered after the first day. Clearly the coach sees something he likes.

Even Strength

Sep 25, 2015
Well unless he's currently playing in the USHL, I'd take the sure thing (sounds as if a NCAA scholarship isn't secured just yet) and sign on with the OHL team. If they can't take him on this year, he can finish out the year where he's at and then join the team full time the next year. Plenty of players that are drafted outside the first three rounds do this. But as I said, if he's playing USHL now, signing with an OHL team would void him playing there...I think. Don't quote me on that. That may also apply to other USA leagues too IIRC.

No, he's not with a USHL team and we are thinking pretty much in line with what you said re the bird in the hand.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Being a late 00 that makes him only 16 and at least in the OHL as far as i know each team can only keep 2 00's per season. By that i mean 2 first year players only each year. Don't quote me and i'm not sure if the Q or the WHL also have the same rules in place. That being said most teams are already set for the current season so he'd probably have to wait for playing time until next fall's training camp.

If you have an agent or family representative i'm sure he could look into teams at the what i call the Junior B level to latch onto this season with, keep your NCAA options and even CHL open to start fresh next season? I hope any of this helps?

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
Being a late 00 that makes him only 16 and at least in the OHL as far as i know each team can only keep 2 00's per season. By that i mean 2 first year players only each year. Don't quote me and i'm not sure if the Q or the WHL also have the same rules in place. That being said most teams are already set for the current season so he'd probably have to wait for playing time until next fall's training camp.

If you have an agent or family representative i'm sure he could look into teams at the what i call the Junior B level to latch onto this season with, keep your NCAA options and even CHL open to start fresh next season? I hope any of this helps?

OHL allows up to four 16 year olds.

wisssh

Oct 2, 2005
North America

Agree 100% ^
had a friend that their kid quit hockey and later got offers to play D1 football. Went to stick time with some of his old buddies and decided he wanted to play hockey again after a few years off. Hockey is a small community. Agent had a lower level Jr coach in States watch him skate...which recommend to a few Jr B teams in Canada which is where he is playing now.

Have a family adviser help you.. they will give honest answers and assist finding a place to play..

Do your homework.. blowing NCAA eligibility should be last resort. Many D1 schools take late bloomers.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You and your Son have three different options. First, you stay the course you are on and see what happens next year. Things could improve.

Second, you can jump ship and secure a spot on an alternate team in an alternate league headed by a coach that has a proven track record of taking into account the game is meant for developing talent and players that make the honest effort and produce will get the best chances of ice time and the requisite exposure necessary for NCAA scholarship offers.

The third option is to sign the CHL contract. This is not the be all and end all option. There are a few downsides. Just because you sign a contract, it doesn't mean that you get the scholarship. Your Son needs to actually make the team and play. HE could get a contract, go to camp and get sent down to Jr A after the exhibition season. At that point, he is ineligible to play NCAA. If he never works his way back up to the CHL team, he doesn't get his education package. My understanding is he has to play at least a game to get his one year covered. Others that know better the fine print can expand with more details.

So, if you decide the CHL is a better option, I would seriously consider signing right now and claiming a roster spot after Christmas. If you get in as a 16 year old, it is more likely that your Son will be more highly considered next season.

You are definitly in a tough spot.

If it were my decision, I would try to see if there were an alternate league that would allow your Son to play with them after the Holiday break under a billeting situation. For example, the team that drafted your Son will have a team or two at the Jr A or Jr B level that would probably have an opening in the 2nd half of the season. It would be an opportunity to build a relationship with the CHL team that owns his rights and allow your Son to keep his NCAA eligibility. Feel it out.

The worst thing you can do is keep your Son the entire year under this situation. Kids can normally adapt pretty well scholastically especially with all the support given to students now associated to high level hockey teams.

I am not sure what options you have under your current contract situation but if he isn't playing much and the coach favours the more experienced players then I wouldn't think they would have an issue releasing your Son for that contract if you ask respectfully.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
Playing one game gets you half a year. You have to survive past the trade deadline in January to get a full year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Playing one game gets you half a year. You have to survive past the trade deadline in January to get a full year.

If you don't play a game prior to the deadline but play the full schedule after the deadline, do you get the full year?

What is the minimum scenario that nets a player a full year?

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
If you don't play a game prior to the deadline but play the full schedule after the deadline, do you get the full year?

What is the minimum scenario that nets a player a full year?

No, that would be a half year. Minimum scenario would be a game before the deadline and one after.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I understand how you might think that but he truly was offered a contract and was already offered for next season. I'm actually a little surprised by the coach's enthusiasm for him, but he really has sort of slipped through the cracks as we moved in the middle of his youth career and he sort of had to start over again with most good teams already set. Since we wanted to preserve NCAA eligibility we only stayed at the CHL camp for 2 days and he got offered after the first day. Clearly the coach sees something he likes.
Does your son have an Advisor ( agent) to help with this? Usually they can guide you through the regulations, from there it has to be a what is best for your son. Might want to seek out pro advise if you don't have somebody lined up.

Even Strength

Sep 25, 2015
He does and the advisor's view is that the CHL is probably the right route for him if his situation doesn't change. You have to understand, kids in the States are under tons of pressure to go the college route. Even when colleges are not on the current horizon kids who go to CHL who aren't clearly already NHL prospects are ridiculed for giving up NCAA eligibility.

Our attitude is that with an education package from the CHL you are actually in a better position insofar as college is concerned because you get to go to the school of your choice, not only the school that wants you for hockey, and, once your CHL education money has vested, which in our case would be as soon as he signs a contract, it is yours, unlike with NCAA scholarships that are on a year to year basis. But try telling that to a kid nervous about moving to another country who has been pushed to play NCAA hockey since he was 6 years old!

The ironic thing is that if the goal is to play pro hockey, then playing in the CHL, which plays a much more pro style game than the NCAA, is clearly the better way to go. How many 4 year NCAA players ever go directly to the pros without a significant stop in the AHL to learn how to play the pro game? Sure, CHL players can also end up in the AHL, but the ones who do are much younger than their NCAA counterparts since they've had earlier experience playing the pro way. My son actually was at an NCAA game last night and texted me that it was horrible dump and chase hockey with tons of turnovers. And these were teams from a top league! I think his mind is made up!

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
He does and the advisor's view is that the CHL is probably the right route for him if his situation doesn't change. You have to understand, kids in the States are under tons of pressure to go the college route. Even when colleges are not on the current horizon kids who go to CHL who aren't clearly already NHL prospects are ridiculed for giving up NCAA eligibility.

Our attitude is that with an education package from the CHL you are actually in a better position insofar as college is concerned because you get to go to the school of your choice, not only the school that wants you for hockey, and, once your CHL education money has vested, which in our case would be as soon as he signs a contract, it is yours, unlike with NCAA scholarships that are on a year to year basis. But try telling that to a kid nervous about moving to another country who has been pushed to play NCAA hockey since he was 6 years old!

The ironic thing is that if the goal is to play pro hockey, then playing in the CHL, which plays a much more pro style game than the NCAA, is clearly the better way to go. How many 4 year NCAA players ever go directly to the pros without a significant stop in the AHL to learn how to play the pro game? Sure, CHL players can also end up in the AHL, but the ones who do are much younger than their NCAA counterparts since they've had earlier experience playing the pro way. My son actually was at an NCAA game last night and texted me that it was horrible dump and chase hockey with tons of turnovers. And these were teams from a top league! I think his mind is made up!
I think you have a clear understanding of the different avenues he can take. Make sure your son is ready for whichever route as there is no sense of him going where he is not sure he wants to be there. At the end of the day whatever is decided give your son 110% support.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If the boy has not been drafted by a CHL team the big question that has to be asked is he able to play at the Major A level. Just wondering why he wasn't drafted?

Even Strength

Sep 25, 2015
If the boy has not been drafted by a CHL team the big question that has to be asked is he able to play at the Major A level. Just wondering why he wasn't drafted?

He was drafted. Went to camp and made team before this season. We declined the offer this year but are reconsidering for next year.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012

Actually that may be correct in general, but any player or advisor can negotiate in regards to the education package. An 8th rounder can try to negotiate all four years after one game played, unless things have changed in recent years. Take some of the wisdom from above posts---you could sign this year and your guaranteed zero until a game is played, and NCAA is no longer an option. It's a tough situation to be in, believe me I have been there. Unless a player is extra ordinary, NCAA usually won't commit until kid is 18-19, so its a bit of a gamble going that route.

There is no right or easy answer, find out what would make your kid happiest and thats probably your best decision. Best of luck with it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad