Ovechkin Wins Eighth Career Rocket Richard Trophy

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Congrats to Ovy! Awesome goal scorer... best of all-time IMO... 8 scoring titles is an amazing feat!

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
and for him the games that count start next week. the real question is can Drai back up this season or was it a career year.

He was shooting at 22%+

It's a career year.

Congrats OV!

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Ö
Not to take anything away from Ovechkin's accomplishment, but Lemieux really should get recognition for doing all of those things too (he led the league in goals multiple times, but it appears they're not giving him credit for actually winning the Rocket Richard trophy, since it was only instituted in 1999).

Is there no-one else? Calder has been around from the mid 1930's.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Good for Draisaitl for making it interesting. Little sad he didn't get to 51.

I'm going to be cheering for the Caps again in the playoffs.

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
This quote from NHL article is pretty wild:

He is the only player in NHL history to win a Stanley Cup, a Conn Smythe Trophy (playoff MVP), a Calder, an Art Ross, a Hart, a Ted Lindsay Award (voted best player) and a Richard Trophy.

That’s interesting. I saw the same thing with Crosby last year but I think they replaced Calder with Gold medal or something.

Really impressive considering those awards have been around a while.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
That’s interesting. I saw the same thing with Crosby last year but I think they replaced Calder with Gold medal or something.

Really impressive considering those awards have been around a while.

It's a great accomplishment. But it's kind of stupid how they don't count players who led the NHL in goals, only the one's who won Rocket.

Reactions: george14 and Eisen

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Congrats to Ovie. And congrats to Drai for getting to 50. It obviously is a huge accomplishment in this day and age.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Awesome. Truly one of the greatest goal scorers of all time and the biggest threat we've seen to Gretzky's goals record.

I think he'll break it, too.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Congrats to Ovie!

Also congrats to Drai on 50 goals. Not many players score 50 goals these days.

Definitely congratulations. Of course I wanted Ovechkin to win the Rocket but I was happy to see Drai hit 50. Hard to believe but it is a short list of Oilers who have done it:

Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson and Craig Simpson.

I also found this tidbit about 50 goal scorers and how rare a feat it is:

Since Maurice Richard became the first to do it almost 75 years ago, getting 50 in 50 for the Canadiens in 1944-45 before he became The Rocket, only 90 players have found the key to 50 or more. Fully half of those (45) did it just once. Seventeen of those players who achieved it once, hit 50 on the nose.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Not to take anything away from Ovechkin's accomplishment, but Lemieux really should get recognition for doing all of those things too (he led the league in goals multiple times, but it appears they're not giving him credit for actually winning the Rocket Richard trophy, since it was only instituted in 1999).

that is pretty stupid since retro-rockets are incredibly easy to track (most goals in a season) and aren't subjective like other awards, but it is what it is.

if they're only including actual rocket winners, the list gets small very fast. the only players to win both an actual rocket and a calder are ovie, selanne, and bure.

I was thinking though, who else aside from lemieux would be on that list if they did include retro rockets? Lot of the older guys like Geoffrion and Richard are going to be short a Smythe due to it not existing yet or have no Calder to fall back on like Beliveau. I don't think Trottier ever led in goals did he? Bossy never got a Hart. Neither Hulls ever got a Calder. Can't really think of anyone else. Pretty stupid elite company regardless - hats off to Ovie.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Definitely congratulations. Of course I wanted Ovechkin to win the Rocket but I was happy to see Drai hit 50. Hard to believe but it is a short list of Oilers who have done it:

Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson and Craig Simpson.

I also found this tidbit about 50 goal scorers and how rare a feat it is:

Five names is probably more than any other team though.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
More teams than you would think have five or more 50 goals guys:

Boston - 5
Flames - 7
Wings - 6
Kings - 6
Habs - 6
Flyers - 6
Pens - 9
Caps - 5
Sabres - 5

Pens with 9?! Damn. Jagr, Lemieux, Crosby, Malkin are the only one's off the top of my head. Caps with 5 too??

That's a good trivia question. Name the 50 goal scorers for each team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad