Ovechkin Has Talent...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Absolut said:
Can you explain why Bure, Volchkov and Zyuzin are "ass-holes"? Volchkov was a lazy and undisciplined prospect. Zyuzin is a mental case. Bure is a cherrypicker. None of these offenses mean the player is an -*******. Besides, we've seen plenty of non-Russian lazy prospects, obnoxious young players, nutcases, and cherrypickers. Please, lets be sensible here...

How about the time Bure demanded a renegotiation of his contract during the Stanley Cup finals in 1994? I mean forcing your organization's hand like that is not right. Demanding a trade out of Vancouver a few years later when they were willing to accomodate him was kind of a jerky thing to do, especially since he never really gave a proper explanation.

Volchkov has always been known to have an attitude problem ever since his junior days in Barrie. When people used to talk about this guy, the term head case came up on a pretty regular basis.

Remember the time when Zyuzin walked out on the Sharks during his rookie season or during his sophmore season when he was sent down to the minors? That wasn't very nice of him.

Yashin: numerous holdouts, contract disputes, etc. Just ask Ottawa about him.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Ovechkin's just another pinko...I'm kidding.

I am one of those guys that IS critical of many Russian prospects, or moreso, I feel many get over-rated.

However, I think Ovechkin is 100% the real-deal, going to be the man to lead a team both by example and in the locker room. He's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but he is the best thing since Jay Bouwmeester. :)

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Mountie said:
I am one of those guys that IS critical of many Russian prospects, or moreso, I feel many get over-rated.

I would look at the Canadian prospects that would come to another side of the planet to Russia without knowing Russian language, then I think we are all would be very critical to Canadian prospects ;)

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Stephen said:
How about the time Bure demanded a renegotiation of his contract during the Stanley Cup finals in 1994? I mean forcing your organization's hand like that is not right."

Dany Heatley was doing 80 mph in a residential area with a 35 mph speed limit, endangering lives of everyone on the road. That is not right.

Craig McTavish killed a young woman while driving drunk. That isn't right.

Billie Tibbets brutally r-aped a 16 year old. That isn't right.

Patric Roy was arrested for domestic violence. That isn't right.

Eddie Belfour was arrested in a drunken hotel spree. That isn't right.

Alexander Daige left Sens high & dry when he decided he didn't want to play hockey... After signing a $12 million contract. That isn't right.

Vincent Lecavalier demanded a trade last season after losing his captancy and having a few run-ins with the coach. That is not right.

Mark Messeir has been dragging the Rangers franchise down for god know how long because of his EGO. That isn't right.

Bad judgement, selfish behavior, immature actions, and lack of discipline do NOT have a nationality. These aren't Russian qualities. These aren't British qualities. These aren't Canadian qualities. There are plenty of headcases of every nationality, ethnicity, race and gender.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Absolut said:
Dany Heatley was doing 80 mph in a residential area with a 35 mph speed limit, endangering lives of everyone on the road. That is not right.

Alexander Daige left Sens high & dry when he decided he didn't want to play hockey... After signing a $12 million contract. That isn't right.

Vincent Lecavalier demanded a trade last season after losing his captancy and having a few run-ins with the coach. That is not right.

Mark Messeir has been dragging the Rangers franchise down for god know how long because of his EGO. That isn't right.

Bad judgement, selfish behavior, immature actions, and lack of discipline do NOT have a nationality. These aren't Russian qualities. These aren't British qualities. These aren't Canadian qualities. There are plenty of headcases of every nationality, ethnicity, race and gender.

Thumb's up Absolut.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Absolut said:

If only people would read this & understand it, maybe the world of hockey's future would be a bit less moronic sometimes.

Nice posts :teach:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Absolut said:

Look, my point ISN'T to say Russians are bad guys. This isn't some kind of anti Russian point I'm trying to make.

My point is that a lot of Russians get a bad reputation, or are judged unfairly because of a few isolated instances because we North Americans generally are limited in contact with Russian people. That's where I listed Yashin, Zyuzin, Volchkov etc as bad examples. It's called the homogeneity effect, where out-groups (the Russians) are seen to be all alike due to a few specific instances.

When Kovalchuk, Svitov were prospects for the draft, a lot of people questioned their attitude and behavior. The exact same thing is happening to Ovechkin in this post. For no apparent reason. The reason why Canadian guys and American guys don't suffer from this kind of judgement is because we are Canadian and American. We know ourselves and our neighbors better than we know Russians, so we aren't as quick to stereotype.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Absolut, you are obviously a really smart and educated guy (or girl; no assumptions on my part!). Not everyone here is like that. Some people are just plain dumb. Others don’t know anything outside of their little world, and are afraid of things they don't understand.

Don't forget:North American media isn't the most intelligent or unbiased media in the world. They ridicule everyone who's not our "friend". They used to ridicule the Russians/Soviets worse than anyone else: they'd always make them look like a bunch of stupid, ugly drunks with missing teeth, and ridiculous clothes. My high school girlfriend was from Ukraine. She was super-hot. And people would constantly say things like “how come you are so thin and pretty? we thought all Russian women looked like those fat ugly chicks in the McDonalds commercial". Granted, it was in the early 90s, but still - it just shows how people believe all this cr*p the media feeds them.

It's like that with everything. Some people respond by picking up a book and trying to learn something. Others don't care about anything beyond their hamburgers & onion rings. So look at it this way: if you need to convince somebody that not all Russians (Koreans, Haitians, Czechs) are bad seeds, they are probably not worth your time and effort.

And by the way: Ovechkin ROCKS. He is not as exciting as Kovalchuk, but he is a great player in his own way. He reminds me of Joe Sakic. Quiet but strong and determined – with an awesome skill set.

Dr_Chimera*

Bobby Orr's Knees said:
Absolut, you are obviously a really smart and educated guy (or girl; no assumptions on my part!). Not everyone here is like that. Some people are just plain dumb. Others don’t know anything outside of their little world, and are afraid of things they don't understand.

Don't forget:North American media isn't the most intelligent or unbiased media in the world. They ridicule everyone who's not our "friend". They used to ridicule the Russians/Soviets worse than anyone else: they'd always make them look like a bunch of stupid, ugly drunks with missing teeth, and ridiculous clothes. My high school girlfriend was from Ukraine. She was super-hot. And people would constantly say things like “how come you are so thin and pretty? we thought all Russian women looked like those fat ugly chicks in the McDonalds commercial". Granted, it was in the early 90s, but still - it just shows how people believe all this cr*p the media feeds them.

It's like that with everything. Some people respond by picking up a book and trying to learn something. Others don't care about anything beyond their hamburgers & onion rings. So look at it this way: if you need to convince somebody that not all Russians (Koreans, Haitians, Czechs) are bad seeds, they are probably not worth your time and effort.

And by the way: Ovechkin ROCKS. He is not as exciting as Kovalchuk, but he is a great player in his own way. He reminds me of Joe Sakic. Quiet but strong and determined – with an awesome skill set.

Yep. Ukranian girls are super hot.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Actual serious response:

I just received an issue of ESPN the Magazine(ESPN doesn't know hockey well generally, but Hradek does) had it's NHL preview. Included was a caption called "Consolation Prize".

The cash-strapped Penguins don't figure to be part of the Stanley Cup chase. But if they're really bad, they could get a different kind of trophy next spring. The bottom-feeder that wins the league's draft lottery will almost surely pick 18-year-old Russian super prospect Alexander Ovechkin whom one scout has praised as "Kovalchuk without the attitude." The Pens have firsthand experience in winning by losing. After finishing with the NHL's worst record in 1984, they drafted first. The pick? Mario Lemieux.

Obviously they picked the Penguins to do the worst pretty easily.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Quote from Stephen, talking about Russian players: «a lot of people questioned their attitude and behavior. » This is a pure stereotype.

The point is that there are as equal American and Canadian players as Russian ones who have their attitude questionned by fans, journalists and even coaches.

Every single hockey fan that will read this post can name 2 or 3 NA players of their team.

I'm from Montreal. Lets say, right now:

- Brisebois, who lefyt his teamates for Paris last season
- Ribiero, a superstar calibre player he he only has the will

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
paul99 said:
Quote from Stephen, talking about Russian players: «a lot of people questioned their attitude and behavior. » This is a pure stereotype.

The point is that there are as equal American and Canadian players as Russian ones who have their attitude questionned by fans, journalists and even coaches.

Every single hockey fan that will read this post can name 2 or 3 NA players of their team.

I'm from Montreal. Lets say, right now:

- Brisebois, who lefyt his teamates for Paris last season
- Ribiero, a superstar calibre player he he only has the will

No, there IS a stereotype out there against Russians. This thread is an example of that. And that's my whole point.

There is an UNFAIR assumption that Russians have attitude problems or are enigmatic. They look at high profile disappointments or headcases like Yashin or Zyuzin and see lazy or egomaniacal Russians. So when they see a Kovalchuk or an Ovechkin, they question them. They ignore hard working team guys like Danny Markov or Igor Larionov.

Your point about people criticizing Ribiero and Brisebois is clearly not the same thing. They are being criticized as INDIVIDUALS. Nobody has gone out and questioned other Quebecois because Brisebois went to Paris. There is no fear that Alex Tanguay or Vincent Lecavalier will do the same thing. There are lots of jerks and lazy bums from NA on every team, you're right. But I don't see any posts questioning Zach Parise or Sidney Crosby because of Joe Murphy or Dan Cleary.

What I do see is Ovechkin being questioned for no apparent reason. I saw the same thing with Kovalchuk and Svitov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad