Out of Town - Washington Capitals Stanley Cup Champions! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Right on!!!

I’m heading to North Bay to pick up over 1000lbs of moose meat from
Last years hunt. (Next Thursday) Divide by 3 and it’s a little over 300lbs each.....good for a while, lots of BBQed moose burgers lol

Yes I did, watched it in my hotel room. Great game. Can’t argue, Eller had an awesome playoff. I hope he hoists the cup, but then I know I’ll read on this site how he could’ve been our #1 Centre lol

If Vegas wins though, I’m okay. I just want to see Ovie win it, the guy is so deserving and so good!!
I am rooting for Ovi as well, he has been a great professional who doesn't take it all too seriously and for me that is refreshing and it might be why I like Russian players. 300lbs is a good haul, all cut up or are you responsible for that part of it? Do you mix anything with the burger meat to give it some fatty portion, we both know how lean moose meat is.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
There is no similarity between William Karlsson's story and Lars Eller. Not every bookish nerd turns into Spider-Man.
I know. 90% chance he never have a dominant season like Karlsson, but you know what? We'll never know because we never tried. Columbus probably wouldn't have tried either. That's my point. Give Eller the chance. He never had it.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think you simply under value what a lot of us see. I think he was going to be better than what he is now. Some had him pegged as a Chad Kilger. He very likely could have been a solid 2nd line 50 point center. You may not agree with this, but many of us think he certainly had it in him to do so. You still have him pegged as a 3rd line center. All things considered he is better than any center on our team playing at that position.
And a lot of us see Eller as no more than what he's been: A 35ish point #3C. Until he demonstrates otherwise, that's him. Sure, he's better on Washington for a number of reasons -- no Therrien, better linemates, more confidence. But he remains a slightly stronger and much happier version of the same player he's always been. Easy to say 'could've/should've/would've', but how much traction do you feel that's worth?

Should Eller explode with a 40-goal season, or reach 50 pts, I'll be the first guy cheering for him. I like the player and would take him on the Habs, but you know as well as I do that any team with Eller as their best C is in serious trouble.

Reactions: Runner77

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Obviously most guys won't turn into a 70 point player, but that's not really the point. Nobody thought Karlsson was capable of that level of production either.

Some players grow with more opportunity some stay the same, there's simply no way to accurately predict which ones. That's why the key for the team is when a player shows potential to be more you have to give him those extra opportunities, to find out whether he actually has it in him or not.
Well sure, I don't think anyone would disagree with that. I just don't get how William Karlsson's X-Men season entered this conversation. The inference is that he represents what Eller might become; frankly, it's not even close to a good example.

Reactions: Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Right on!!!

I’m heading to North Bay to pick up over 1000lbs of moose meat from
Last years hunt. (Next Thursday) Divide by 3 and it’s a little over 300lbs each.....good for a while, lots of BBQed moose burgers lol

Yes I did, watched it in my hotel room. Great game. Can’t argue, Eller had an awesome playoff. I hope he hoists the cup, but then I know I’ll read on this site how he could’ve been our #1 Centre lol

If Vegas wins though, I’m okay. I just want to see Ovie win it, the guy is so deserving and so good!!

I miss the moose meat from Sweden, it's very hard to get here in the US. It's wonderful, not gamey at all, my mom's moose meatballs were legendary. Then we have another dish called Tjälknöl which loosely translates to Permafrost-Lump/Hunch it's easy to make. Freeze a
1.5-2 kg moose steak, once frozen turn on the oven to 75 degrees celsius, put in the steak and let it sit in that temperature for 8-12 hours the meat temperature inside should be 65-70 degrees C. Cook up a marinade made of 10-12 dried juniper berries, 1 litre of water, 1 dl of salt, 1 tsp of thyme. Let cool, put the warm steak in the marinade for 4-5 hours and let stand cold. Finally serve it with a potato au gratin with lots of garlic.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
And a lot of us see Eller as no more than what he's been: A 35ish point #3C. Until he demonstrates otherwise, that's him. Sure, he's better on Washington for a number of reasons -- no Therrien, better linemates, more confidence. But he remains a slightly stronger and much happier version of the same player he's always been. Easy to say 'could've/should've/would've', but how much traction do you feel that's worth?

Should Eller explode with a 40-goal season, or reach 50 pts, I'll be the first guy cheering for him. I like the player and would take him on the Habs, but you know as well as I do that any team with Eller as their best C is in serious trouble.
He was on pace for 50 points in the shortened season. Then he got Therriened. Last year you guys were saying he was nothing more than a 25 point third liner, now that he has numbers like than Danault(you know the guy I was told was EASILY a 2nd line centre) with mostly 3rd line minutes and wingers he is a 35ISH? 3rd line center. Do you know hard it is to get almost 40 points from mostly a third line role? Here's a hint our top center had 46 this season with pp and 17:36 average per game. Eller had 15:18 which was up from his career 14:36. Pleks as our 3rd liner this season had 16:18 and 24 points for the habs and 2 points as a leaf.

Just because you play third line, doesn't make you a third liner. Same as Dale Weise was never a top line winger, yet he played there.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Byron for sure and Danault to some degree. Same with Dutch Gretzky.

Obviously not to Karlsson standards but these are players that were stuck in mud at their previous residence and somehow discovered their game here.

Needless to say, I hope they (habs) rethink their methods and not only give these kids opportunities, but allow them to faulter, reset, and have another kick at the can, and another, and another, etc.....

This is where adding a Ducharme can be a difference. They'll have someone who is used to working with young players.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Well sure, I don't think anyone would disagree with that. I just don't get how William Karlsson's X-Men season entered this conversation. The inference is that he represents what Eller might become; frankly, it's not even close to a good example.
No you are infering this, what people are saying is just because you are forced onto the third line doesn't mean you don't have potential to be more. You are the ONLY one in the thread saying eller would get 40+ goals if he was playing 1C.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One thing is certain, Lars Eller is certainly a player that benefited from getting traded away from here, I have similar hopes for Galchenyuk. I have to laugh as well because this marks two Stanley cup finals in two years with former castoffs of the "great" Montreal Canadiens.

I'm a Habs fan first and foremost and then individual players follow. As much as I don't want to see Galchenyuk traded, I also would hate to get shortchanged if we do.

MB or whoever from ownership wants him gone? No problem. But get it right.

Reactions: MaxPacwhereishe

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
I miss the moose meat from Sweden, it's very hard to get here in the US. It's wonderful, not gamey at all, my mom's moose meatballs were legendary. Then we have another dish called Tjälknöl which loosely translates to Permafrost-Lump/Hunch it's easy to make. Freeze a
1.5-2 kg moose steak, once frozen turn on the oven to 75 degrees celsius, put in the steak and let it sit in that temperature for 8-12 hours the meat temperature inside should be 65-70 degrees C. Cook up a marinade made of 10-12 dried juniper berries, 1 litre of water, 1 dl of salt, 1 tsp of thyme. Let cool, put the warm steak in the marinade for 4-5 hours and let stand cold. Finally serve it with a potato au gratin with lots of garlic.
Looks yummy. The wikipedia translation of the history of ''Tjälknöl'' is quite funny

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I'm a Habs fan first and foremost and then individual players follow. As much as I don't want to see Galchenyuk traded, I also would hate to get shortchanged if we do.

MB or whoever from ownership wants him gone? No problem. But get it right.
I am a habs fan first and foremost also but I do not feel connected to a regime that I do not support, I think that Galchenyuk is more than we have seen and I would love to see him prove it elsewhere, Politics has set him back, he should be further ahead.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I grew up with it, I lived organically before it ever became a buzzword. We had mostly roasts but also enjoyed it in a preserved manner ie bottled boiled and preserved for 3-4 hours and trust me, you have never tasted a better quality meat in this world. I have never not enjoyed moose meat.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I grew up with it, I lived organically before it ever became a buzzword. We had mostly roasts but also enjoyed it in a preserved manner ie bottled boiled and preserved for 3-4 hours and trust me, you have never tasted a better quality meat in this world. I have never not enjoyed moose meat.

Same here, during the hunting season you can buy it in grocery stores but since hunting is so big in Sweden you always know a guy or a gal that's hunting. I wonder if I can find it online here in the US, I mean they can transport it like they do with those Omaha Steaks? The hardest thing to get is the filet, because hunters usually keep that for themselves but a filet mignon with moose meat is beyond orgasmic!

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Same as me and it continues to this day and I don't see it changing any time soon. There's always moose meat in the freezer here. I don't eat it as much as I did back in the 80's or 90's but I still love it. We also use to preserve it in bottles (some used cans) but I think that's a common practice all over Newfoundland. We have a couple of licenses for this fall so hopefully we can bag at least 1 moose. Must have some moose in the freezer for the winter. :)

I'm not really sure how long ago this was but I believe it was 3 or 4 years ago and I got this story from a friend who was also in the same area so I assume it's accurate. Anyway a current Boston Bruin who wears #63 and likes to lick people :) was in Newfoundland moose hunting before training camp in an area where many locals here also hunt and he was flown into the back country where he killed a moose. Unfortunately for him the helicopter or float plane couldn't get back soon enough due to bad weather and apparently his moose spoiled which was very unfortunate.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He was on pace for 50 points in the shortened season. Then he got Therriened. Last year you guys were saying he was nothing more than a 25 point third liner, now that he has numbers like than Danault(you know the guy I was told was EASILY a 2nd line centre) with mostly 3rd line minutes and wingers he is a 35ISH? 3rd line center. Do you know hard it is to get almost 40 points from mostly a third line role? Here's a hint our top center had 46 this season with pp and 17:36 average per game. Eller had 15:18 which was up from his career 14:36. Pleks as our 3rd liner this season had 16:18 and 24 points for the habs and 2 points as a leaf.

Just because you play third line, doesn't make you a third liner. Same as Dale Weise was never a top line winger, yet he played there.
Eller has topped out at 38 points this past season; before that his best was 30 pts five years ago. Being 'on-pace-for' is not the same as actually getting the points. Once again, you can play the 'should've/could've/would've' game all day, but 50-point Eller does not exist in real life.

Also, I have no idea who "You guys" are, but kindly remove me from whatever group you imagine me in.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulD

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Same here, during the hunting season you can buy it in grocery stores but since hunting is so big in Sweden you always know a guy or a gal that's hunting. I wonder if I can find it online here in the US, I mean they can transport it like they do with those Omaha Steaks? The hardest thing to get is the filet, because hunters usually keep that for themselves but a filet mignon with moose meat is beyond orgasmic!

My father and brother both hunt moose every year so we always have half a moose in the freezer, on top of fishes that we also fish ourselves, wild geese that he also hunts and veal that we get from an uncle who raises them in his farm (he has some Angus ones). I believe my father mostly eats moose meat (in all red meats) nowadays. Pork is probably the cheapest meat in Quebec though..

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
No you are infering this, what people are saying is just because you are forced onto the third line doesn't mean you don't have potential to be more. You are the ONLY one in the thread saying eller would get 40+ goals if he was playing 1C.
Sorry, no. When someone brings up William Karlsson in a conversation about Eller, they're the ones attempting to link the two. If Karlsson's name wasn't used as a yardstick for Eller, what was the point in referencing him? You can't namedrop and then act demur when the comparison doesn't fit.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I am a habs fan first and foremost also but I do not feel connected to a regime that I do not support, I think that Galchenyuk is more than we have seen and I would love to see him prove it elsewhere, Politics has set him back, he should be further ahead.

I make a distinction between the organization and this regime.

If I just started focusing on this regime, I'd lose it. And would promptly look for another team to follow.

However, regimes are temporary. The club is permanent.

No matter what this regime does, one day they'll be replaced by better. Why? Cause we can'get any worse, we've reached rock bottom.

So, if Galchenyuk is traded, I care. I wish the player well, however, I won't focus on how it may or may not benefit this regime. I don't want this club shortchanged cause then it's going to cost us down the line, to replace that asset and we may never make up for the shortfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad