Out of Town thread part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay
I really don't understand why Johnny Hockey signed with columbus. Calgary wasn't bad enough for him ? He love losing that much ?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I really don't understand why Johnny Hockey signed with columbus. Calgary wasn't bad enough for him ? He love losing that much ?

The only thing I could conclude based on the market and contract he signed is that he was willing to take a financial hit in order to play in a spot where the spotlight isn't too bright, because I do seem to recall he had other offers which still would leave more cash in his pocket after taxes.

This is where the nhl gives players a unique option compared to other more mainstream sports. You can play in relative anonymity if you so choose as an nhler, and it's a very enticing thing for many players.... Obviously, montreal isn't one of those places though.

Reactions: Kennedys

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well I’m glad Provorov’s game has gone downhill because he’s apparently a piece of garbage.

Torts leaving no doubt he's a piece of garbage by defending him and saying he's proud of him.

You're proud of a guy who is using the NHL platform to spread hate on a marginalized group?

What a f***ing idiot. Both of them can f*** off.

Reactions: le_sean

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Yes , what did he say/think? Thanks
Didn’t wear LGBT+ colours for the warmup and cited a religious exemption. Torts seemingly doesn’t mind it. The game was played. Seems like that should’ve been the end of that…

Not sure why so many people are mad but I’m too old to have the pulse of the Comment Section.

I do feel the NHL commentariat (fans + media alike) are a bit too quick and a bit too loud about certain issues. It doesn’t seem very productive. Feels very “Reddit”.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Torts leaving no doubt he's a piece of garbage by defending him and saying he's proud of him.

You're proud of a guy who is using the NHL platform to spread hate on a marginalized group?

What a f***ing idiot. Both of them can f*** off.
Torts is the guy who once said he’d bench a player for taking a knee during the anthem. Not exactly the greatest guy.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Torts is the guy who once said he’d bench a player for taking a knee during the anthem. Not exactly the greatest guy.
Oh please….

Gord Miller told a story, Torts was out at a restaurant one winters night, and had passed a homeless woman with her child on a street corner.

Torts paid the bill for the dinner and asked the restaurant manager to get a hotel room for the homeless mother & child, along with clothing and ordered them both meals for a month.

Miller went on to say, this is standard practice for Torts and very well known within the hockey community - he just doesn’t like any type of publicity for it

“Not exactly the greatest guy…”

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
He refused to wear the pride jersey because of "[r]eligious reasons." The Flyers made it worse by playing him and having Torts defend him.

You shouldn't force anybody to do anything. Those who go after him for that are moronic. We are in a free society.

The narrative is certain people are oppressed. But then if certain people won't wear the colors of the oppressed, I'm gonna turn around and oppress them. Same thing with people with bullies the bullies. At the end of the day, there's no winners.

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
You shouldn't force anybody to do anything. Those who go after him for that are moronic. We are in a free society.

The narrative is certain people are oppressed. But then if certain people won't wear the colors of the oppressed, I'm gonna turn around and oppress them. Same thing with people with bullies the bullies. At the end of the day, there's no winners.
Doing nothing is still doing something. And many times doing nothing is worse than any other choice.

Anyone still want to argue that sports and politics don't mix??

Reactions: McGees

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Like the hijab situation. People say women that wear the hijab are oppressed, and yet those same people force these women to remove the hijab as if that wasn't oppression.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Oh please….

Gord Miller told a story, Torts was out at a restaurant one winters night, and had passed a homeless woman with her child on a street corner.

Torts paid the bill for the dinner and asked the restaurant manager to get a hotel room for the homeless mother & child, along with clothing and ordered them both meals for a month.

Miller went on to say, this is standard practice for Torts and very well known within the hockey community - he just doesn’t like any type of publicity for it

“Not exactly the greatest guy…”
Damn a multi millionaire spent a couple thousand to help people? What a saint. I guess that absolves him from the stupid and classless comment he made.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Like the hijab situation. People say women that wear the hijab are oppressed, and yet those same people force these women to remove the hijab as if that wasn't oppression.

Agreed. We live in a complex World. You have people that are feminist and yet want to let women to wear the hijab. Some people say that THAT is oppressive. But others say it's in their culture. Nothing is black and white.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

So he’s allowed to express his opinion but when we express ours about how he’s just hiding behind religion for his backwards belief, we are the morons?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Freedom of choice is not freedom from consequences. Provorov chose to take the low road and out his homophobic beliefs. He will be called homophobic for the rest of his career and he doesn't deserve less to be honest. Imagine sitting out of the teddy bear drive for 'personal beliefs'. On a night dedicated to inclusiveness, what a joke Provorov has made the NHL.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
So he’s allowed to express his opinion but when we express ours about how he’s just hiding behind religion for his backwards belief, we are the morons?

All he said was: “I respect everybody’s choices,” Provorov said after the game. “My choice is to stay true to myself and my religion. That’s all I’m going to say.”

You're threaten by these comments? Seems pretty classy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad