OT: Out of Town Thread; Anywhere but here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
An NHL GM thought a late 30s Douglas Murray was still an nhl defenseman. Likewise for a clearly finished Mark Streit.

Just because you're in the business doesn't mean your automatically right or your opinion is superior. Sometimes the best perspective is an outsiders one.
Of course......except if 300 of those experts all agree who's better, I'll go with that, plus, it goes with what I believe.....anyways, I don't want to make this a Subban vs Weber thing, they're both good

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Of course......except if 300 of those experts all agree who's better, I'll go with that, plus, it goes with what I believe.....anyways, I don't want to make this a Subban vs Weber thing, they're both good
Numbers don't mean anything sometimes.

Yakupov was almost a consensus 1st overall pick and there were posters here who weren't into him and thought he'd bust.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You are talking BS and you are way to confrontational. How does this sound to you... You know **** F all cause in fact, I know you didn't watch the games. This is your line of defense and is horse ****.

You stuck your nose into the discussion and you don't even know what the debate was. Congratulations.

Get down from your pedestal. You're not in charge of telling anyone what tgey will debate.

What you seem to not understand is that you are victim of your inability to create strong arguments. It's non-sequitur on top of non-sequitur, followed by more logical fallacies and outright complete fabrications. You really wonder why "your" debate gets sidelined? Look in the mirror.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
lots those 300 "experts" voted for a guy who was injured most of the season, that's how smart the experts are...

The voting was from the Pre-season to the January NHLPA meeting. I'd bet that most of the voting happened prior to the season.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Subban vs Weber, everybody's entitled to their opinion.

But among most "hockey people" (players, coaches, broadcasters, former players, fans etc...), being a hard working, humble, modest, team player is what it's all about. Weber is the perfect example of that culture. That's why a player like Weber will always rank higher in those polls among hockey players, or hockey people.

For example:

-When Weber fires a rocket from the blue line and scores, hockey people are like: "wow, what a player, that shot is amazing".
-When Subban fires a rocket from the blue line and scores, he does his patented celebration, and hockey people are like: "ugh, selfish player".

or

-When Weber cross-checks a guy in front of the net, and roughs him up a bit, hockey people are like: "man, he's so tough to play against, he's dominant".
-When Subban cross-checks a guy in front of the net, or throws a player down on the ice, hockey people are like: "what a reckless player, he's lucky he didn't get a penalty on that play"

or

-When Weber congratulates his teammates, hockey people are like: "what a leader, what a team player".
-When Subban congratulates his teammates after a win, hockey people are like "what a camera whore, he's such a clown".

etc...

This is an exaggeration of course, but you get the idea.

Take for example Ryan Getzlaf last year in the playoffs. Subban completely shut him down all series long. But I really doubt he would say "Wow, Subban is so tough to play against, what a player". I'm pretty sure he would say Shea Weber is the toughest player to play against, even though Nashville is probably the team he's had the most success against in his career.

Not that Weber doesn't deserve that title. But it's definately easier for "hockey people" to give credit to someone like Weber, compared to Subban.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
Congrats on the hat trick Brad !!!
IMG_6547.jpg

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The Carolina Hurricanes are moving general manager Ron Francis to a new position and will conduct a search to replace him, a source with direct knowledge of the decision said Wednesday night.

Francis will remain with the team as president of hockey operations, but his replacement as general manager will report directly to new owner Tom Dundon.

This is a breaking story and will be updated.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Subban vs Weber, everybody's entitled to their opinion.

But among most "hockey people" (players, coaches, broadcasters, former players, fans etc...), being a hard working, humble, modest, team player is what it's all about. Weber is the perfect example of that culture. That's why a player like Weber will always rank higher in those polls among hockey players, or hockey people.

For example:

-When Weber fires a rocket from the blue line and scores, hockey people are like: "wow, what a player, that shot is amazing".
-When Subban fires a rocket from the blue line and scores, he does his patented celebration, and hockey people are like: "ugh, selfish player".

or

-When Weber cross-checks a guy in front of the net, and roughs him up a bit, hockey people are like: "man, he's so tough to play against, he's dominant".
-When Subban cross-checks a guy in front of the net, or throws a player down on the ice, hockey people are like: "what a reckless player, he's lucky he didn't get a penalty on that play"

or

-When Weber congratulates his teammates, hockey people are like: "what a leader, what a team player".
-When Subban congratulates his teammates after a win, hockey people are like "what a camera ****e, he's such a clown".

etc...

This is an exaggeration of course, but you get the idea.

Take for example Ryan Getzlaf last year in the playoffs. Subban completely shut him down all series long. But I really doubt he would say "Wow, Subban is so tough to play against, what a player". I'm pretty sure he would say Shea Weber is the toughest player to play against, even though Nashville is probably the team he's had the most success against in his career.

Not that Weber doesn't deserve that title. But it's definately easier for "hockey people" to give credit to someone like Weber, compared to Subban.

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion" "But"........... lol

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

The question you’re referring to wasn’t “whose the best defenceman?” It was “Whose toughest to play against?” I have no doubt Weber is a tough SOB to play against with how good he in his own end and how physical he can be while taking away space. The problem with Weber is he doesn’t bring as much to the table as a lot of other defenceman. We live in an era where your defenceman need to be to do a little bit of everything and in a way, guys like Weber are dated. Not to mention when it comes to the NHLPA, Weber has a reputation just like Toews based on the past.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Official announcement by the Hurricanes:

MB... Pack your s#!t. A direct flight to Carolina waits for you.

Given Carolina's buy-in with analytics with Eric Tulsky and hiring a bunch of people to work for him there I wonder if they'll go for Brisebois as their next GM.

But if I were Brisebois I'd hold out for a job that had assurances that I'd be able to spend to the cap.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

True enough. It's weird that Francis becomes President of Hockey Ops but the new GM will report directly to the owner. What is the point of Francis, then?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Given Carolina's buy-in with analytics with Eric Tulsky and hiring a bunch of people to work for him there I wonder if they'll go for Brisebois as their next GM.

But if I were Brisebois I'd hold out for a job that had assurances that I'd be able to spend to the cap.

The new owner has indicated that he's ready to spend money. He said that the days the Hurricanes had to let a few players go because they didn't want to pay them when their contracts were up are over.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I would take Weber over Subban if I needed to reach something on a high shelf.

I would take Weber over Subban if I'm trying to organize a golf tournament and need a guy most players would accept an invitation from.

I would also take Weber over Subban if I want to know what's it is like to live in Tennessee as an athlete in the 2000s.

Can't think of what else I would take Weber over Subban for.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I would take Weber over Subban if I needed to reach something on a high shelf.

I would take Weber over Subban if I'm trying to organize a golf tournament and need a guy most players would accept an invitation from.

I would also take Weber over Subban if I want to know what's it is like to live in Tennessee as an athlete in the 2000s.

Can't think of what else I would take Weber over Subban for.

:laugh:

You made me laugh with this post.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Public relations...new owner doesn't want to fire team legend

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is where the Hurricanes hire Julien Brisebois and we fire Bergevin after the end of next year's disastrous season.

Reactions: Roke

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Holy shit!
Since winning the Stanley cup in 2005/2006, the Carolina Hurricanes made the playoffs only once, a 3rd round exit in 2008/2009. This year is their 9th consecutive seasons without a playoffs appearance. That's Edmonton bad.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Damn that Phil Kessel is on fire...

I wanted us to get him so bad but I was being told he was a loser and a lockeroom cancer. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad