HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Brutal loss for Dallas. Ron MacLean reminded last night of teams winning game one going on to win ~70% of the series. Round one they were 6-2 although Dallas was one of the two teams to come back...the other was Colorado.

Reactions: Runner77

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
While true, it would be in very bad taste to mock a player being bought out.
I don't see it as mocking the player, I see it as mocking the team. Whether you like or dislike Kotkaniemi, the guy set himself up financially because of their dumb decision. He will also probably get another 1 year deal elsewhere too so that's even more money.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He is also responsible for the the Rangers' first goal according to SN analyst (Edler), as he dropped his defensive assigment. Could be the reason why he didn't play much afterward ;)

Oh yeah, he completely lost his man on that goal. He had no idea where to go, saw the D was about to shoot, blocked it, puck went right to wide open Lafreniere. But, he wasn't the only one. No one was on Lafreniere or at the point, so it was essentially a 2 on 1 for KK. Canes running around.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
While they were good enough to win last nigh, I'm getting a kick out of watching the Canes down 2-0. That mgmt group really thinks they are the smartest ones in the room, that they can easily replace vets. The talent they have let walk is incredible and taking a team that good and well coached into the playoffs with Aho-Staal-Drury-KK down the middle is a huge wasted opportunity. And thinking Kuzy would slide right in was clearly a miss.

They essemtially replaced Trockek - a two way, 60 point, gutys C - with Kuznetsov and KK. Kuz was benched and KK played 9 minutes.

That owner is an idiot, and that window is going to close fast because they have subpar pro scouting, and their luck at the draft is going to run out. Looks good on them tbh.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Oh yeah, he completely lost his man on that goal. He had no idea where to go, saw the D was about to shoot, blocked it, puck went right to wide open Lafreniere. But, he wasn't the only one. No one was on Lafreniere or at the point, so it was essentially a 2 on 1 for KK. Canes running around.
He is really the ultimate 'nothing' player. Doesn't kill penalties. doesn't take tough defensive assignments, not overly physical, doesn't fight and really only produces when he gets lots of o-zone starts on goes on a heater. The ultimate black hole of a hockey player.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
While they were good enough to win last nigh, I'm getting a kick out of watching the Canes down 2-0. That mgmt group really thinks they are the smartest ones in the room, that they can easily replace vets. The talent they have let walk is incredible and taking a team that good and well coached into the playoffs with Aho-Staal-Drury-KK down the middle is a huge wasted opportunity. And thinking Kuzy would slide right in was clearly a miss.

They essemtially replaced Trockek - a two way, 60 point, gutys C - with Kuznetsov and KK. Kuz was benched and KK played 9 minutes.

That owner is an idiot, and that window is going to close fast because they have subpar pro scouting, and their luck at the draft is going to run out. Looks good on them tbh.
100% agree. If these mgt decisions could ruin what could have been a great year for them, well I would laugh a lot. Another year of their core wasted.

And I would totally make a tweet about it if KK was bought out. "Did you include the 20$ in the price?" or something. They deserve it.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
That offersheet was random at the time and time has certainly made it look worse. Hope they enjoy that "funny" $20 signing bonus.
The offer sheet was more a swipe at Bergevin than anything else. If KK had adapted to a better team and shown more potential it would have been a complete win, but, even with KK somewhat overpaid and underperforming they got the complete Bergevin meltdown they wanted. The offer sheet strongly contributed to Bergevin's worst offseason in his tenure, and, quite possibly, one of the worst offseasons of any team ever. Maybe not bottom 5, there have been some pretty bad moves over the years, but considering the number of moves and the consistency with which those moves failed I'd say probably bottom 10 or bottom 20. The damage is still ongoing and much of it was unnecessary.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just saw the replay of that flying chicken wing artistry by Trouba.

Player safety (probably): not reviewable, it’s playoff hockey.

Jul 6, 2016
If Trouba had connected with that dirty elbow attempt there that was gonna be a lengthy suspension and a potentially bad injury for Necas.
Really. It’s Playoffs time. NHL rarely gives more than 4 games.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
The offer sheet was more a swipe at Bergevin than anything else. If KK had adapted to a better team and shown more potential it would have been a complete win, but, even with KK somewhat overpaid and underperforming they got the complete Bergevin meltdown they wanted. The offer sheet strongly contributed to Bergevin's worst offseason in his tenure, and, quite possibly, one of the worst offseasons of any team ever. Maybe not bottom 5, there have been some pretty bad moves over the years, but considering the number of moves and the consistency with which those moves failed I'd say probably bottom 10 or bottom 20. The damage is still ongoing and much of it was unnecessary.
Ya they sure showed him. No better use of a roster spot, 5MM and a 1st and 3rd then to make MB upset. Huge win for the Canes.

In reality, they swapped Trochek for KK, a 1st and a 3rd. It's as bad a deal as MB ever made and could be the difference between them winning a Cup and just being regular season hero's. Total fail, and here they are with the corpse of Jordan Staal as their #2 C right in their Cup window.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
If Trouba had connected with that dirty elbow attempt there that was gonna be a lengthy suspension and a potentially bad injury for Necas.
Don't know if you remember the last time the Pens were in the playoffs. They were up three games to one and leading in game five when Trouba elbowed Crosby in the head. Sid didn't come back until game seven and I doubt he was healthy (and the Pens lost the series). Can't remember Trouba even getting a penalty and he wasn't suspended. That guy could be penalized just about every shift, but the league tolerates him.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad