out of the Defenseman who do you like the most?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I understand that people value a defenseman that plays D well first and foremost (shocker I know). But it's a two sided coin. If a defenseman is solid on D but struggles to translate his offense to the NHL, he's going to have a hard time with helping to keep the puck in the offensive zone. That creates more stress playing D which can be just as bad as playing D poorly for shorter periods of time. Vice versa. Good offense means you can clear the D zone well and help hold the puck in the opponents end longer. Either way, teams need to commit to the guys they take and avoid trying to make them fit into a system if its not advantageous to do so.

Reactions: Czechboy

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Dickinson feels like an almost guaranteed second pairing guy. Scouts rave about his defensive play and he's over over point per game. Quite impressive

Yakemchuk also seems like a safer pick - but I don't know how I feel about his upside yet I need to scout him more.

Silayev/Levshunov/Buium/Parekh are all a lot more boom/bust.

Buium/Parekh have insanely high offensive ceilings. But as defensemen, are they competent defenders? Can they position themselves properly? And improve? I have no doubts they're both smart and have great vision but they also love scoring.

Levshunov wants to do it all himself some games. If he's able to control that urge he could be an elite defenseman. Maybe not Makar level, but a 1D with a similar toolset.

Silayev is the biggest question to me. You know teams are in love with his size. But there's more to the game other than being tall. Is he more like a Chara or a Myers?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Buium/Parekh have insanely high offensive ceilings. But as defensemen, are they competent defenders? Can they position themselves properly? And improve? I have no doubts they're both smart and have great vision but they also love scoring.

I'm surprised to see several people grouping Buium and Parekh together as defenders. They could not be more unalike in my opinion. Parekh is undoubtedly the worst defender of the six D being debated here, Buium is one of the best.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I'm surprised to see several people grouping Buium and Parekh together as defenders. They could not be more unalike in my opinion. Parekh is undoubtedly the worst defender of the six D being debated here, Buium is one of the best.
You’re the first person I’ve seen say that about Buium

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dickinson and Silayev are not just defensive plodders. Dickinson is a an excellent skater, and Silayev is not far behind. The latter will get even better once he grows into his body and gets his coordination sorted out.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
IMO Dickinson's offensive numbers this year - as good as they are as a 17 year-old - have been suppressed by Bonk's presence. Scouts are going to have to evaluate how much more offensive upside he has when put into more offensive situations.

Reactions: Blueston

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Definitely Buium or Levshunov. Not a big fan of Dickinson personally.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Basically all these answers are just completely random ordering of the same 6 names. Will be fascinating to see how the GMs approach it and should reveal a lot about how they think about drafting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad