out of the Defenseman who do you like the most?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Funny no one has even mentioned the offensive unicorn yet?

Sure he isn't a Makar level skater but no one is even close inside the blue line and defense can be taught.

All that being said Dickinson is the safe bet.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
My Top 10 D for 2024

Top Tier - Dickinson
Levshunov

Buium
Parekh
Jiricek
Yakemchuk

Shuravin
Silayev

Fischer
Freij

Reactions: HawksDub89

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Levshunov. Can't teach those tools. You can teach him to make slightly better decisions. He's very young for the level he's playing at. People talk about all these errors he's making. Put him in juniors, and he wouldn't be playing against competition who could force him into making these bad decisions as often.

Don't like Buium or Parekh that much. I think they are solid players, but neither are the biggest or best skaters and both have some defensive problems. Parekh has the bigger offensive upside than Buium, but also is worse defensively and might have some off-ice issues.

Dickinson will likely be a middle pairing guy with a slight chance at becoming a 2. He's a good bet to become like the 3rd or 4th best defenseman with little chance of becoming the one that busts.

Silayev, who knows? He's 8 foot tall with skating ability and a not terrible puck game. Time will tell. Anyone's guess if he turns into a great player or bust.

I like Yakemchuk, but have some minor skating concerns and defensive concerns. I like Levshunov more, but I could see how he ends up the best.

Jiricek belongs in this discussion. Injuries and the Czech League being terrible for young Czech players has hurt him, but he has a good chance to be one of the best defensemen from this draft.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Levshunov. Can't teach those tools. You can teach him to make slightly better decisions. He's very young for the level he's playing at. People talk about all these errors he's making. Put him in juniors, and he wouldn't be playing against competition who could force him into making these bad decisions as often.

Don't like Buium or Parekh that much. I think they are solid players, but neither are the biggest or best skaters and both have some defensive problems. Parekh has the bigger offensive upside than Buium, but also is worse defensively and might have some off-ice issues.

Dickinson will likely be a middle pairing guy with a slight chance at becoming a 2. He's a good bet to become like the 3rd or 4th best defenseman with little chance of becoming the one that busts.

Silayev, who knows? He's 8 foot tall with skating ability and a not terrible puck game. Time will tell. Anyone's guess if he turns into a great player or bust.

I like Yakemchuk, but have some minor skating concerns and defensive concerns. I like Levshunov more, but I could see how he ends up the best.

Jiricek belongs in this discussion. Injuries and the Czech League being terrible for young Czech players has hurt him, but he has a good chance to be one of the best defensemen from this draft.
In junior, he was just solid offensively, nothing special. His game is well rounded enough that he should be a great defenseman, but he lacks the dynamism offensively that I would like to see more of. Probably a Pietrangelo type.

Reactions: Dominance

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Right now I like Dickinson most and Buium close second. Dickinson is just most complete package with size and elite/strong toolkit everywhere.

Levshunov is the guy with biggest potential maybe but his IQ / decision making kinda holds him back and thats main reason why I have him as third best d here.

Dickinson
Buium
Levshunov
Silayev
Yakemchuk
Parekh
Jiricek

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
In junior, he was just solid offensively, nothing special. His game is well rounded enough that he should be a great defenseman, but he lacks the dynamism offensively that I would like to see more of. Probably a Pietrangelo type.
He’s no Parekh, but he is leading an NCAA team in scoring as an 18 year old. People are underselling his offensive ability.

For me:
Levshunov—huge boom potential, but tools are too good for him not to be an NHLer even if he doesn’t hit
Dickinson—don’t see #1 potential but really likely to be a good #2-3 and plays a good modern defenseman game
Yakemchuk—I think his size, shot, and hands are good enough to outplay his defensive issues

I like these three the most and significantly more than the rest.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree. I don’t think this discussion is fighting over whose going to be Pronger or Chelios, unless Silayev hits his ceiling, but I think Levshunov has the size, the 40+ point potential, the potential to be a tough situations defensive player, and the skating. He has pretty clear top pairing potential, even if I don’t think he’s that likely to ever be one of the five best in the NHL.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dickinson seems to be the only guy w/o a weakness, except perhaps his offensive ceiling. Will probably max out as a 40-45 pt. guy.

Levshunov has all the tools and a high offensive ceiling, but some worries about his defensive abilities. Sky high offensive potential.

Parekh has average size and doubts about his defensive abilities, but has shown outstanding offense. Sky high offensive potential, but worries that he won't be able to bring his game with him to the pros.

Buium is somewhere in between Parekh and Levshunov. I really like him. Think his floor is as a 2nd pair, #2 PP Dman.

Silayev ... I think he is still trying to figure out his massive body, and will not be a high offense guy, but many scouts have him as being the best Dmen available, due to his size, skating, and playing competently in a men's league all year. Is he the next Chara, Hedman, or Myers?

Yakemchuk has the size, toughness, RHD, shot, offense... good but not great skater. Some worry about his decision making.

Jiricek has been out for the year due to injury. How can you judge anything? He showed a lot of tools before he was hurt, has the size, and is a RHD.

After these 7, there are a bunch of Dmen with good size and skating(mostly) that could turn out to be better than some of the above, though likely not all. This is a great year to pick middle of the line up Dmen with decent size and good defensive abilities. Not thrilling maybe, but those guys are always in demand.

I know i haven't answered the OP'S question, but it really depends on what you are looking for(RH/LH, Offense/Defense, Risk/Reward).

Levshunov and Parekh seem to be the kings of the high risk/ high reward.

Dickinson and maybe Silayev high floor/ shutdown guys.

The rest are somewhere in between. I think it's a CRAZY year for Dmen. If I had to pick a Dman for my team... oof... probably Dickinson, but i'd also have to give Silayev quite a few more looks. I'd be pretty happy if my team (MN) is able to pick Buium in the early/mid teens.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Levshunov predraft comments remind me a lot of Mintyukovs. That being said my top 5 are

Levshunov
Dickinson
Yakemchuk
Biuim
Parekh

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
of the 7 who seem to be the consensus top d:

silayev has virtually unlimited potential, but i have doubts that his offense develops to the level you would want at top of draft. he is more likely to be next parayko than next hedman. still a fine player, but someone you'd rather get at 8 than 2. but if the offense comes..

levshunov- i've come around on him. if he reaches full potential he could win norris, but while that feels optimistic i do think he solid chance to be legit 1d.

dickinson- i think folks are sleeping on him a bit. best case he is best d in this class or most others. more likely case is he is noah hanifan type guy. i don't currently 0have him ranked above sil or lev, but it's close and i could see ending up with him as top d on my board.

i think there is big dropoff after those 3.

parekh- i like him more than many do because i think he will be among top scoring d in nhl in time. and i think his d will be fine for guy who produces like he does. but.. he does scare me. while dickinson is guy that i would have no trouble pulling trigger on, parekh is guy that i would sweat it.

buium- i was originally higher on him than most but now i think the hype has gotten a bit out of control with some folks ranking him as top d in draft. i see shattenkirk type more than true #1, but i do think he is quite good player and as you get closer to 10 (or later) he could be great pick.

after those 5, i diverge much more from consensus.

yakemchuk- i don't like his game. he looks like big guy with big shot who puts up big points in juniors that won't be so easy in nhl. i don't like his skating. i don't like his defense. i could potentially see a path where he becomes next evan bouchard, but i think more likely he becomes rasmus ristolainen. or worse.

jiricek- this is guy who i think busts. i don't think he is near as good as his brother, other than perhaps in skating. and his skills don't seem good enough to overcome what seems to be brain dead tendancies out there. i don't have him in my first round.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Dickinson seems to be the only guy w/o a weakness, except perhaps his offensive ceiling. Will probably max out as a 40-45 pt. guy.

Levshunov has all the tools and a high offensive ceiling, but some worries about his defensive abilities. Sky high offensive potential.

Parekh has average size and doubts about his defensive abilities, but has shown outstanding offense. Sky high offensive potential, but worries that he won't be able to bring his game with him to the pros.

Buium is somewhere in between Parekh and Levshunov. I really like him. Think his floor is as a 2nd pair, #2 PP Dman.

Silayev ... I think he is still trying to figure out his massive body, and will not be a high offense guy, but many scouts have him as being the best Dmen available, due to his size, skating, and playing competently in a men's league all year. Is he the next Chara, Hedman, or Myers?

Yakemchuk has the size, toughness, RHD, shot, offense... good but not great skater. Some worry about his decision making.

Jiricek has been out for the year due to injury. How can you judge anything? He showed a lot of tools before he was hurt, has the size, and is a RHD.

After these 7, there are a bunch of Dmen with good size and skating(mostly) that could turn out to be better than some of the above, though likely not all. This is a great year to pick middle of the line up Dmen with decent size and good defensive abilities. Not thrilling maybe, but those guys are always in demand.

I know i haven't answered the OP'S question, but it really depends on what you are looking for(RH/LH, Offense/Defense, Risk/Reward).

Levshunov and Parekh seem to be the kings of the high risk/ high reward.

Dickinson and maybe Silayev high floor/ shutdown guys.

The rest are somewhere in between. I think it's a CRAZY year for Dmen. If I had to pick a Dman for my team... oof... probably Dickinson, but i'd also have to give Silayev quite a few more looks. I'd be pretty happy if my team (MN) is able to pick Buium in the early/mid teens.
2 years ago this would have been all about the Finnish posters driving this topic....just saying.

Reactions: Czechboy

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Silayev has the highest ceiling. If he clicks, you’re looking at a very valuable piece. I also think he has a higher bust probability than Levshunov & Dickinson who have excellent floors.

Big Buium fan here too. Kid is just an insanely smart player and very precise.

Silayev
Dickinson/Levshunov/Buium
Parekh/Yakemchuk
Jiricek (due to injury)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Buium
Yakemchuk
Dickinson

Then

Levshunov
Silayev
Parekh

Parekh will be a big point producer with that shot but I don't like building teams around players who can't defend.

I definitely see Tyler Myers or maybe Zadorov when I watch Silayev.

Levshunov I don't see what everyone is talking about with his offensive potential. He has some good tools to be a Brady Skjei type D. I suppose their similar posture is probably why that player comes to mind, but "40 pt guy who can defend well in a highly structured environment" is what I expect from Levshunov, even though his NCAA scoring totals would suggest much more offense than that.

Dickinson looks like a Hanifin or Bouwmeester. Probably not a #1D but very good. Escapes pressure with ease.

Yakemchuk has this intensity that I really like, that he can deploy at both ends. And really special handling ability along with that elite shot. I see #1D potential, not that he won't have to tighten up his skating and defense along the way.

Buium doesn't have eye catching tools but I think he has everything it takes to be a #1D. And really special decision making and touch on the puck. His skating is a bit unorthodox but he's always very deceptive with it regardless, always manipulating opponents and creating opportunities.

Buium is actually younger than Lev and in my opinion a much better defender right now. I like his decision making at both ends much more. I'd ask why Buium doesn't get the excuses you offer Lev but there really aren't many mistakes to excuse.

Reactions: cheechoo

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
The first is Buium - he is a special. Iq off the charts. Great two way potential. Needs to work on his skating, but still very fast and reactive

Second tier
Dickinson - most well rounded, save bet.
Silayev - its not that easy to rank some parts of his game because his decision making is under the pressure of high level hockey. Still should be good for second pair role.
Levshunov - very fun player to watch. May be not so great in playmaking, more of a passer than playmaker, should work on defensive positional side of the game. Anyway good prospect.

Yakemchuk and Parekh are not so great.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
This is a strong point. I think Freij, Solberg, or Soini could end up better than a few of the D already named.

Reactions: Blueston

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
I know a lot of people are down on Parekh and Buium, but their scoring is so generational at their level that it's kind of hard to tell if they will fail. You could be looking at Quinn Hughes or Evan Bouchard, which would probably be close to their peak, or you could be looking at a Tony Deangelo (Bottom pairing, PP point collector) or Ty Smith and Ryan Murphy, which would be disappointing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad