OT: Our PDO sucks. Let's lighten the mood! Free Slurpees & Bagel Brawls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Never know these days if this **** is staged or what. The newest thing is spitting in drink bottles and licking ice cream and putting it back on the shelf. I can't help but feel we're headed to some kind of weird cyber-dystopia.

I'm thinking it's real, oh and there's more:

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
If you come out unscathed and go "viral" it is exactly what you wanted the second you started filming.

It really is dialing into the worst narcissistic tendencies of a certain portion of the population. Unfortunately, that portion seems to be growing since social media basically acts like a video game and people keep score with likes and replies. Maybe the noise being generated by that portion is just getting louder, or maybe I'm just starting to pay more attention to it. I dunno. It's easy to get sucked into it, which the truly worrisome thing.

Thankfully, they seem to be arresting these dopes that are licking ice cream, etc.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
There are men who are librarians you know. ;)

Sorry for using the feminine pronoun as a default in a field where there are a lot more women than men.

But yes, public libraries deal with all kinds of behavior that most people don't realize or fully understand. Since they're public buildings a lot of the "common sense" approaches people would take to limit the negative behavior aren't applicable and would result in lawsuits. Many libraries have started to bring in social workers in an attempt to help the people who need it. Unfortunately you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

My wife, a librarian, is a branch manager (an NLS) of a BPL branch. I have *never* heard of social workers in the branches, and I suspect having social workers to the library would bring up a host of issues. Where has this been done?

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
It really is dialing into the worst narcissistic tendencies of a certain portion of the population. Unfortunately, that portion seems to be growing since social media basically acts like a video game and people keep score with likes and replies. Maybe the noise being generated by that portion is just getting louder, or maybe I'm just starting to pay more attention to it. I dunno. It's easy to get sucked into it, which the truly worrisome thing.

Thankfully, they seem to be arresting these dopes that are licking ice cream, etc.

Agreed, and the bold is a great point. I've never really thought of it as a direct competition but the fact that there are those that hold their personal "Numbers" as a great importance to their life is sad.

I'm thinking this is why we've heard rumblings from Instagram and Twitter that they may do away with showing Likes and Followers numbers publicly. That may ruin their platforms but it would probably be better for society as a whole.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Has to be mentally ill to be doing all this.
There's something up for sure, but it's a weird time we live in.

Thank god I'm not a celebrity, you see Conor McGregor smack a camera out of that dudes hand? Conor really wasn't doing anything, neither was the guy other than recording and getting close. But that's how I'd be. I don't want cameras in my face for anything.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
My wife, a librarian, is a branch manager (an NLS) of a BPL branch. I have *never* heard of social workers in the branches, and I suspect having social workers to the library would bring up a host of issues. Where has this been done?

What type of issues do you think would come from having them?

It's a growing trend in the library world, your wife has probably heard of it if she is into ALA and the various conferences/webinar trainings that go on within the field. I know that some branches are resistant to certain types of change or experimentation though, so some places have their hands tied by the powers that be. Here's a link from ALA talking about it: http://www.ala.org/tools/programming/serving-risk-patrons-lessons-library-social-workers

Here's a link from a Social Worker organization in Illinois discussing it: http://naswil.org/news/chapter-news/featured/public-library-social-work-an-emerging-field/

Delaware has implemented it in nearly every service area of the state: https://lib.de.us/socialworkers/

It's crazy the types of things public libraries have to deal with and come up with solutions for.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It's crazy the types of things public libraries have to deal with and come up with solutions for.

I read up on it. They aren't really social workers. They are folks trained as social workers or experienced social workers acting in the capacity of librarians - connecting people in need of social services with the means to utilize them. Librarians would consider them adult services associates or librarians.

Librarians typically feel extremely uncomfortable actually performing social services that aren't informational, and having those services performed in their libraries. A social worker would typically expect to maintain a name-lined record to services provided, otherwise there would be little benefit in those services. The idea that a librarian would use a recorded service history to guide future services is pretty much an anathema to the ethics of librarianship.

My wife became a librarian as a grant-funded Jobs Information Resource Librarian. They tried to replace the public grant with The Robin Hood foundation. But they wanted to track individual progress as they used these services, and BPL said no way. This is what I have in mind.

For a librarian, if a patron comes in for, schedules, etc. services to fix up their resume and get interview practice it doesn't matter a tiny bit whether that person really wants a job, is trying to get a job, actually gets a job, or just enjoys the company. So long as the patron participates in an appropriate way, they help all the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I read up on it. They aren't really social workers. They are folks trained as social workers or experienced social workers acting in the capacity of librarians - connecting people in need of social services with the means to utilize them. Librarians would consider them adult services associates or librarians.

Librarians typically feel extremely uncomfortable actually performing social services that aren't informational, and having those services performed in their libraries.

If you meant a social worker in a therapist sense, no they don't have appointments or anything like that. They're a better and more equipped resource than librarians because of their training and knowledge, so it's nice to have people with that skill set around.

They're certainly not librarians though, as they don't have an MLS or anything similar and have no ability to assist people in the library with traditional library related tasks. I know every library has different requirements for what they call a librarian and other positions, so it could be something different elsewhere (I'm not in New York).

It likely depends on what you mean by "social services" specifically, but I can definitely see certain types being uncomfortable and others not so much.

A social worker would typically expect to maintain a name-lined record to services provided, otherwise there would be little benefit in those services. The idea that a librarian would use a recorded service history to guide future services is pretty much an anathema to the ethics of librarianship.

My wife became a librarian as a grant-funded Jobs Information Resource Librarian. They tried to replace the public grant with The Robin Hood foundation. But they wanted to track individual progress as they used these services, and BPL said no way. This is what I have in mind.

For a librarian, if a patron comes in for, schedules, etc. services to fix up their resume and get interview practice it doesn't matter a tiny bit whether that person really wants a job, is trying to get a job, actually gets a job, or just enjoys the company. So long as the patron participates in an appropriate way, they help all the same.

Thanks for the edit, I see what you're saying now. Most libraries would absolutely be opposed to anything like that. In our system staff doesn't even have access to items that were previously checked out by a person. There's a record of it somewhere, but it typically requires a subpoena in order to gain access. Privacy is of the utmost importance, so tracking individual progress would be terrible for them. You're absolutely right about the resume training and that sort of thing. My library actually has someone dedicated for job related tasks, then social workers on top of that to help connect people to other resources they may need. The people who care about the outcome or attempt to get a job, etc. are normally other government agencies, not the library.

Last edited:

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
They're certainly not librarians though, as they don't have an MLS or anything similar and have no ability to assist people in the library with traditional library related tasks. I know every library has different requirements for what they call a librarian and other positions, so it could be something different elsewhere (I'm not in New York).

The folks, as described, are acting as librarians. MLS or not, title or not. And everyone who works full time in a library is trained in the full range of traditional library services, or they're going to have a ton of time sitting on their duffs doing nothing, and believe me, my wife does not let that happen.

Note: edited based on your edit based on my edit.

The two closest women in my life are a social worker and a librarian, and I've heard a LOT about both. A lot

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Adjusting according to an edit but not allowing others...

I hit reply before the edit, and then got called away so I didn't see it until now. There is no superiority complex, I thought we were having a nice discussion and I was genuinely curious about what issues you were referring to.

The folks, as described, are acting as librarians. MLS or not, title or not. And everyone who works full time in a library is trained in the full range of traditional library services, or they're going to have a ton of time sitting on their duffs doing nothing, and believe me, my wife does not let that happen.

In my library that's not how it works at all. There's a clear separation depending upon what your title is. I'm sure both are appropriate ways to operate depending upon the size and services the library offers.

Also, the social workers who do come in aren't here full time and don't interact with patrons about anything traditionally associated with the library (i.e. they're not assisting patrons with book recommendations, educational research, locating items, computer assistance, etc.).

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Spot on. Have you watched any of "Black Mirror"? Some of them are a bit too out there, but many of them hit the nail you're talking about on the head.
No, I haven't seen that but might have to look into it. Of course, I'm still trying to get around to The Sopranos, so I've got some catching up to do. ;)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
BTW, my comment earlier about the guy getting home and regretting what he did is obviously N/A in this case based on further evidence. :shakehead

He either has a screw loose or is doing it intentionally for some reason (internet fame, lawsuits, etc.). At one point in one of his videos he mentions that he's living out of his car, now I have no idea if that's true or not but it points to a larger issue going on with him.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
He either has a screw loose or is doing it intentionally for some reason (internet fame, lawsuits, etc.). At one point in one of his videos he mentions that he's living out of his car, now I have no idea if that's true or not but it points to a larger issue going on with him.
I don't recall seeing him actually pay for those bagels. Maybe that's his angle.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
They're talking about this guy on WFAN. This isn't an isolated incident. Librarians, 7-11 worker, etc.

They're on YT. This guy is unhinged.
It's true, I work in Bay Shore and a few of my coworkers have had run-ins with this guy. I've never seen or dealt with him that I can remember, but the ones who have weren't surprised at all :laugh:

Never thought I'd see my local bagel shop becoming part of a nationwide meme.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Seems like Youtube has started taking down all of his videos. Next we'll see a video of him freaking out at their headquarters claiming they were removed because of heightism.
Did he take them down or youtube? That's wild YouTube would do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad