Our Future In Goal

BoCanucksBo

YourDrouinItWrong
Feb 7, 2014
Pittsburgh
We have 3 potential future starters in Ortio, Gillies and McDonald.

I feel like management wants Gillies to be our future starter. We just signed McDonald to an ELC, and Ortio is now on a 1-way deal. Gillies will finish off college this year and will need a couple years in the AHL. McDonald I believe will play in Charlottetown this year and will be an OA next season, so he has a ways to go before he is NHL ready. As I said earlier, Ortio is now signed to a 1-way deal, and we just extended Ramo, so do we trade Hiller and roll with Ramo-Ortio for a couple years and wait for Gillies?

I personally think Gillies is our future starting goalie, and I don't see where McDonald fits in to our future. Hiller should be traded sometime this season to get Ortio a taste, and roll with Ramo-Ortio next season. By 2016-17 Gillies will be developing in the AHL, and McDonald will be an OA in the Q, which also leads to my conclusion McDonald doesn't fit in.

When we signed Ramo, Treliving stated that this is a 2 goalie league. Maybe he wants to roll with Gillies-Ortio in the future?

Thoughts on this topic?

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Gillies has already signed a contract and therefor is ineligible for NCAA, so he will be in the AHL this year. I would say a future of Gillies as starter and Ortio backing up while McDonald takes his time developing.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Ortio is the future starter, future Vezina winner, and MacDonald will make a good 25-30 game backup for him, potentially usurping his role in a Schneider/Luongo situation minus the embarrassing handling.

Gillies will be traded in a few years, shocking all Flames fans.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gillies is a stud goalie prospect, but he hasn't played a single pro game. McDonald also hasn't played a single pro game. FWIW, McDonald was this current management groups pick, he was the first goalie taken in that draft and was taken early in the 2nd round, obviously the Flames think extremely highly of him.

It's almost impossible to make a prediction. Right now, we know Ortio is close and that is all. We don't know if Ortio can be a legit starter or if he is more of a backup. Both Gillies and McDonald have all the physical tools that you can ask of a netminder. They might both end up being starters or both might bust. As a comparison Gibson was probably a higher ranked prospect than Gillies, and he's still an unknown. Goalies take lots of time to develop and very unpredictable. You just need to let it all play out, at least we have 3 guys with upside.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We have 3 potential future starters in Ortio, Gillies and McDonald.

I feel like management wants Gillies to be our future starter. We just signed McDonald to an ELC, and Ortio is now on a 1-way deal. Gillies will finish off college this year and will need a couple years in the AHL. McDonald I believe will play in Charlottetown this year and will be an OA next season, so he has a ways to go before he is NHL ready. As I said earlier, Ortio is now signed to a 1-way deal, and we just extended Ramo, so do we trade Hiller and roll with Ramo-Ortio for a couple years and wait for Gillies?

I personally think Gillies is our future starting goalie, and I don't see where McDonald fits in to our future. Hiller should be traded sometime this season to get Ortio a taste, and roll with Ramo-Ortio next season. By 2016-17 Gillies will be developing in the AHL, and McDonald will be an OA in the Q, which also leads to my conclusion McDonald doesn't fit in.

When we signed Ramo, Treliving stated that this is a 2 goalie league. Maybe he wants to roll with Gillies-Ortio in the future?

Thoughts on this topic?
What? Gillies has already signed. McDonald clearly has a place. I think Gillies will only spend 2 years in the AHL which is perfect for McDonald.

15/16: NHL - Hiller/Ramo, AHL - Ortio/Gillies
16/17: NHL - _____/Ortio, AHL - Gillies/McDonald
17/18: NHL - Ortio/Gillies, AHL - McDonald/_____
18/19: NHL - Gillies/Ortio, AHL - McDonald/_____
19/20: NHL - Gillies/McDonald, AHL - _____/_____

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
What? Gillies has already signed. McDonald clearly has a place. I think Gillies will only spend 2 years in the AHL which is perfect for McDonald.

15/16: NHL - Hiller/Ramo, AHL - Ortio/Gillies
16/17: NHL - _____/Ortio, AHL - Gillies/McDonald
17/18: NHL - Ortio/Gillies, AHL - McDonald/_____
18/19: NHL - Gillies/Ortio, AHL - McDonald/_____
19/20: NHL - Gillies/McDonald, AHL - _____/_____

Doesn´t Ortio have to go through waivers to get to the AHL?

It certainly seems like management is set to send him there. However some teams lack a reliable back-up and would certainly be interested to give Ortio a chance if they could.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think we get rid of Hiller this year. Go with Ortio and Ramo battling it out to be #1. This opens up the minors so we can let Gillies play in the majority of the games.

Then I think it's hard to say what happens after that. My guess it will be based on performance.

McDonald could really turn some heads at the WJC, maybe we use him as a piece of trade-bait to get a top six winger?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

It certainly seems like management is set to send him there. However some teams lack a reliable back-up and would certainly be interested to give Ortio a chance if they could.

NYR, Buffalo, Edmonton and a few others would claim him for sure.
if we are considering putting Joni Ortio on waivers we might as well trade him for a pick before he gets claimed, a la Joe Colbourne

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Yes he has to clear waivers. But frankly re-signing Ramo and not signing an AHL goaltender tells me the plan is to have him in the AHL. Last year they signed Thiessen on July 1st to ensure they had a goaltender with some experience in the AHL, them not doing that this year speaks volumes.

NYR, Buffalo, Edmonton and a few others would claim him for sure.
if we are considering putting Joni Ortio on waivers we might as well trade him for a pick before he gets claimed, a la Joe Colbourne
No they wouldn't claim him for sure. The Oilers already have Scrivens & Talbot at the NHL level and aren't going to add a 3rd goaltender. The Rangers just signed Antti Raanta so they aren't an option either. And the Sabres already have Lehner and Chad Johnson, with a full compliment of goaltending prospects.

There is a reason there hasn't been a goaltender claimed off waivers in over 2 years, that is because NHL teams set their goaltenders before camp, they don't go into the season with holes because it is too important of a spot. The only time a goaltender is claimed off waivers, is when they have injury problems in net (ie. the Flames picking up MacDonald).

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Yes he has to clear waivers. But frankly re-signing Ramo and not signing an AHL goaltender tells me the plan is to have him in the AHL. Last year they signed Thiessen on July 1st to ensure they had a goaltender with some experience in the AHL, them not doing that this year speaks volumes.

No they wouldn't claim him for sure. The Oilers already have Scrivens & Talbot at the NHL level and aren't going to add a 3rd goaltender. The Rangers just signed Antti Raanta so they aren't an option either. And the Sabres already have Lehner and Chad Johnson, with a full compliment of goaltending prospects.

There is a reason there hasn't been a goaltender claimed off waivers in over 2 years, that is because NHL teams set their goaltenders before camp, they don't go into the season with holes because it is too important of a spot. The only time a goaltender is claimed off waivers, is when they have injury problems in net (ie. the Flames picking up MacDonald).

I think you'll only have to tell them about 8 more times

Richi

Oct 20, 2013

The difference here is that Ortio is still somewhat of a highly regarded prospect and teams that don´t have much or any hope of making the playoffs could turn out to be willing to get rid of one of their vets/established goalies just to get Ortio as option down the road.

I still don´t fully understand the Ramo signing, but it probably means that one of Ramo/Hiller/Ortio won´t be with this organization once preseason is over.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
The difference here is that Ortio is still somewhat of a highly regarded prospect and teams that don´t have much or any hope of making the playoffs could turn out to be willing to get rid of one of their vets/established goalies just to get Ortio as option down the road.

I still don´t fully understand the Ramo signing, but it probably means that one of Ramo/Hiller/Ortio won´t be with this organization once preseason is over.

I don't believe Ortio is that highly regarded. Hell, Irving was probably regarded higher when he passed through waivers that last time

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I don't think Ortio is nearly as highly rated as people want to believe. He's had issues staying healthy, he struggled immensely to start this past season (which many forget) and even if you forget his struggles he has yet to play 40 games in an AHL season and people think an NHL team is going to gift him a roster spot and anoint him their #2 guy? A handful of good games at the NHL level does not make him a highly regarded goaltending prospect. Almost every NHL team has a comparable prospect in goal.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
I don't believe Ortio is that highly regarded. Hell, Irving was probably regarded higher when he passed through waivers that last time

I don't think Ortio is nearly as highly rated as people want to believe. He's had issues staying healthy, he struggled immensely to start this past season (which many forget) and even if you forget his struggles he has yet to play 40 games in an AHL season and people think an NHL team is going to gift him a roster spot and anoint him their #2 guy? A handful of good games at the NHL level does not make him a highly regarded goaltending prospect. Almost every NHL team has a comparable prospect in goal.

Well, you guys have convincing arguments but I´m still not that certain that Burke/Treliving are willing to take that chance.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, you guys have convincing arguments but I´m still not that certain that Burke/Treliving are willing to take that chance.
Frankly if they weren't willing to take that chance, we would have signed a goaltender with AHL experience to play with Gillies in the AHL already. There is very few experienced AHL goaltenders left, if any.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Irving was a complete scrub and looked way over his head when he played a few games in the NHL.

Ortio: Best Goalie in the AHL over the past two seasons. Looked amazing in his call up appearance, won 2/3 of his games on a team that was sub .500 when he didn't play. Voted the Abb/Adr player of the year. AHL All Star. Stellar resume.

But yeah, let's put this guy on waivers and let someone have him for free before we even see what we have. Genius asset management....

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Irving was a complete scrub and looked way over his head when he played a few games in the NHL.

Ortio: Best Goalie in the AHL over the past two seasons. Looked amazing in his call up appearance, won 2/3 of his games on a team that was sub .500 when he didn't play. Voted the Abb/Adr player of the year. AHL All Star. Stellar resume.

But yeah, let's put this guy on waivers and let someone have him for free before we even see what we have. Genius asset management....
love the narrative you paint, too bad it's completely fabricated. Irving stood on his head in his first NHL stint and was better than Ortio was in his first stint.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
love the narrative you paint, too bad it's completely fabricated. Irving stood on his head in his first NHL stint and was better than Ortio was in his first stint.

I'm not sure about that. I was at Leland's win in Vancouver, and he was spectacular, but never looked confident. I was also at Ortio's shutout in Vancouver, and he looked very composed. Add into that that in the games after, you saw quite a few systematic technical flaws. Ortio looked like an NHL goalie, and only ran into trouble in one game where the team got absolutely run over in Anaheim.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not sure about that. I was at Leland's win in Vancouver, and he was spectacular, but never looked confident. I was also at Ortio's shutout in Vancouver, and he looked very composed. Add into that that in the games after, you saw quite a few systematic technical flaws. Ortio looked like an NHL goalie, and only ran into trouble in one game where the team got absolutely run over in Anaheim.

Ortio's shutout in Vancouver wasn't his first stint. Irving's first stint was on the east coast and was phenomenal. Especially against Ottawa IIRC.

Ortio is a solid prospect, but he's not so good he can't go on waivers. Irving was just as highly regarded when he was waived

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad