Our difficult decision

Dr. Nucksfan

Sep 23, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
We're fortunate that expansion is happening while we are terrible. The 2008-2012 teams would have been pillaged.

This.

In case you missed it, my post was tongue-in-cheek. We WON'T have a difficult decision at all, unless Rodin, Etem, Granlund et al. turn out to be stellar assets.

What are the chances of that?

No, most likely we will lose the least significant assets of any team in the league to the Las Vegas Gamblers (tm).

Dr. Nucksfan

Sep 23, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
This was the stupid part about not rebuilding two years ago. We will have two truly awful teams to worry about competing with for picks as well as the inevitable down-cycles for the Rangers, Detroit, San Jose, Boston and others.

Good point.

And there's a rule to follow in pro sports rebuilding: if you're going to suck, at least suck such that you are picking in the top 5 of every draft for at least 3 years.

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
If Bachman qualifies as an available goaltender you extend him a yr next spring (which they may of anyway as the vet mentor for Demko)

That's what I figure. Hope he qualifies. Maybe Miller would resign for a cheap year otherwise.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Likely list:
Daniel
Henrik
Eriksson
Sutter
Hansen
Horvat

7th slot goes to either Baertschi or Rodin, depending on who breaks out this season.

Leave Dorsett, Granlund, Gaunce, Etem and one of Baertschi or Rodin exposed.

On D:
Edler
Gudbranson
Tanev

Leave Sbisa, Larsen, Pedan, Biega exposed.

I don't think there's any disagreement in this thread on who should be protected on D. Hutton isn't eligible for the draft.

In goal, it will be Markstrom, assuming JB doesn't hand him an extension.

In this scenario, I think we lose either Baertschi or Rodin or possibly Larsen if he has a good season. Essentially this draft will cost us the equivalent of a 2nd round pick or less. I'm not sweating it.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
This was the stupid part about not rebuilding two years ago. We will have two truly awful teams to worry about competing with for picks as well as the inevitable down-cycles for the Rangers, Detroit, San Jose, Boston and others.

How do you rebuild 2 years ago after the 2014 season when Gillis re-upped Higgins, Burrows, Twins, etc. to long term deals in 2012 and 2013? Who was going to acquire them at that point in time.

IMO, Gillis extended everyone because he could finally see that his draft selections from 2008-2011 were not paying off and that without young talent coming in, he couldn't afford to let his current players go, thus he locked them up.

Plus, with the CAD dollar dropping, it also meant the cap was going to be pretty flat, not the yearly $3 million bump he enjoyed during his time as GM.

I wanted the team to rebuild, but that's not the direction the owners wanted to go in. Shame on them.

When you are in a situation like the Canucks were in, getting older, you kind of want to get the opinion of a few outsiders to your club to ask them what they think. Especially ones that have seen what you have in the pipeline, which for the Canucks was very limited.

Trading the twins isn't much of an option, given that they want to be on the same team. How many teams need 2 top 6 guys who play the same style? Maybe teams want a physical guy and a skill guy if they have 2 openings.

As for expansion, I think the final spot goes to either Rodin or Gaunce.

I think Hansen makes the most sense to deal.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see him moved for a prospect. But, given this group's track record of pro scouting in Clendenning, Granlund, Vey, I'm not sure that would be a wise move.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Trade Hansen this summer for the draft picks that Benning will inevitably burn through by next June, protect Rodin if he plays well, fire the rest out of a cannon for all I care. Easy peasy lemon squeezie.

This was exactly what I was thinking.

That or Rodin gets completely run over in the NHL and Hansen stays anyway.

I have no problem keeping him around.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Likely list:
Daniel
Henrik
Eriksson
Sutter
Hansen
Horvat

7th slot goes to either Baertschi or Rodin, depending on who breaks out this season.

Leave Dorsett, Granlund, Gaunce, Etem and one of Baertschi or Rodin exposed.

On D:
Edler
Gudbranson
Tanev

Leave Sbisa, Larsen, Pedan, Biega exposed.

I don't think there's any disagreement in this thread on who should be protected on D. Hutton isn't eligible for the draft.

In goal, it will be Markstrom, assuming JB doesn't hand him an extension.

In this scenario, I think we lose either Baertschi or Rodin or possibly Larsen if he has a good season. Essentially this draft will cost us the equivalent of a 2nd round pick or less. I'm not sweating it.

Nice summary. Actually a decent time to not have depth that we care about.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
They should have traded Hansen at the draft since Eller got a ransome, we're gonna lose him for nothing in expansion.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If Bachman qualifies as an available goaltender you extend him a yr next spring (which they may of anyway as the vet mentor for Demko)

That's the obvious choice for the Canucks, but it also depends a lot of Bachman is willing to play backup in Utica another year. He may want to head over to Europe or sign as a starter for another team.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
you could protect him and then trade him at the draft next year or at the deadline this year.

Yeah forgot we could protect both Baer and Hansen

Hansens value probably won't be higher than it was this year

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
2017 Expansion Draft – Canuck roster status.

Forwards:

Exempt: Virtanen, Boeser, Cassels, Lockwood, Jasek, Labate, Laplante, Stukel, Stewart, Zhukenov, Gaudette, McKenzie, Abols, Carcone

Protected: D Sedin, H Sedin, Eriksson, Horvat, Baertschi, Sutter, Gaunce

Exposed: Hansen, Rodin, Burrows, Dorcett, Etem, Granlund, Zalewski, Grebier, Rendulic, Chaiput, Megna

Defence:

Exempt: Juolevi, Hutton, Tryamkin, Brisebois, Stecher, Subban, Nilsson, Sautner, McEneny, Cederholm, Neill, Candella, Olson

Protected: Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson

Exposed: Larsen, Sbisa, Biega, Pedan, Billins, Williamson

Goal:

Exempt: Demko, Garteig

Protected: Markstrom

Exposed: None yet

Miller’s and Bachman’s contracts expire at the end of the 2016-2017 season. In order to comply with the Expansion Draft regulations, the Canucks either need to trade for at least a goalie they can offer to the Expansion Draft or they need to at least extend the contract of one of the two goalies for at least the 2017-2018 season.

Provided the one year contract extension salary is reasonable, I could see the team actually renewing both goalies for another year, exposing Bachman to the draft and giving Markstrom solid backup in Miller for an extra year.

I hope the Canucks can work out a deal where LV doesn’t take Larsen or Pedan. The team now has a good nucleus to build & develop upon. I like that the building is from goal out rather than forwards down.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
2017 Expansion Draft – Canuck roster status.

Forwards:

Exempt: Virtanen, Boeser, Cassels, Lockwood, Jasek, Labate, Laplante, Stukel, Stewart, Zhukenov, Gaudette, McKenzie, Abols, Carcone

Protected: D Sedin, H Sedin, Eriksson, Horvat, Baertschi, Sutter, Gaunce

Exposed: Hansen, Rodin, Burrows, Dorcett, Etem, Granlund, Zalewski, Grebier, Rendulic, Chaiput, Megna

Defence:

Exempt: Juolevi, Hutton, Tryamkin, Brisebois, Stecher, Subban, Nilsson, Sautner, McEneny, Cederholm, Neill, Candella, Olson

Protected: Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson

Exposed: Larsen, Sbisa, Biega, Pedan, Billins, Williamson

Goal:

Exempt: Demko, Garteig

Protected: Markstrom

Exposed: None yet

Miller’s and Bachman’s contracts expire at the end of the 2016-2017 season. In order to comply with the Expansion Draft regulations, the Canucks either need to trade for at least a goalie they can offer to the Expansion Draft or they need to at least extend the contract of one of the two goalies for at least the 2017-2018 season.

Provided the one year contract extension salary is reasonable, I could see the team actually renewing both goalies for another year, exposing Bachman to the draft and giving Markstrom solid backup in Miller for an extra year.

I hope the Canucks can work out a deal where LV doesn’t take Larsen or Pedan. The team now has a good nucleus to build & develop upon. I like that the building is from goal out rather than forwards down.

Why in the world would we protect Gaunce over Hansen?

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
Why in the world would we protect Gaunce over Hansen?

I like him. Younger and I believe he suits the style the team is developing into. I like Hansen too , but I'd rather use him as trade bait instead of protecting him in the draft. I will admit I was very hesitant between Hansen, Gaunce & Rodin. Rodin would be my third choice after Hansen & Gaunce. Rodin may be talented but he gave up to easily when he was first here in North America. I hate quitters.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I like him. Younger and I believe he suits the style the team is developing into. I like Hansen too , but I'd rather use him as trade bait instead of protecting him in the draft. I will admit I was very hesitant between Hansen, Gaunce & Rodin. Rodin would be my third choice after Hansen & Gaunce. Rodin may be talented but he gave up to easily when he was first here in North America. I hate quitters.

Why not keep Hansen and Gaunce and expose Sutter?

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
Why not keep Hansen and Gaunce and expose Sutter?

Hansen & Gaunce are best at being strong 3/4 line wingers. Sutter is capable to play 2/3 line centre. Until we acquire another strong 2/3 line center, Sutter brings more value to the team as a team. Center is a harder position to fill too, but in my opinion Sutter is a better player if he plays wing. The other concern I have is that the Western Conference teams emphasizes toughness before they develop skill & speed. all three are important, but being tough to play against is what you build out from. The Canucks improved their toughness, but other teams in our division did too. I had really hoped we could have got Lucic & terrified that the Oilers got him instead.

Equally why would you use Sutter as your Expansion Draft exposure any more than you would use Hansen? Both have trade value greater than offering them for LV to pick. I like Guance, but I also recognize Gaunce hasn't had the opportunity to prove himself yet so would not have the same trade value than Hansen or Sutter. I've already said Rodin is not my favorite.

Please note the main purpose of my post was to give a picture of who is exempt and who needs protection. If you wish to protect one player over another that is your choice. Obviously you wouldn't protect a player already exempt. As long as Sbisa and two of Burrows, Hansen, Sutter or Dorcett are included in the Canucks list of unprotected players, the Canucks meet one of the Draft's conditions about experience.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Hansen would only have one season left before UFA anyway. I'd rather trade him at the deadline but you know how that works out.

Also I kind of think he's a low risk to be selected for that very reason.

Yeah it's really up in the air for us. We have roughly two spots for a handful of tweener players, and who's the best among Baerstchi, Granlund, Etem, Rodin, & Gaunce could easily change a year from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad