Proposal: Ottawa's TDL & offseason (EDM, NYR & WSH)

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Norris and Batehrson are "2 mid 20's decent, cost effective NHLers"? Curious as both are early 20 players on ELC that will be getting raises in the near future. What I mean by cost effective is guys who fit into your roster and are not going to be breaking your cap space. It is interesting how people interpret wording so differently.

If you could get Norris and/or Batherson for late firsts, I would assume that you have managed to blackmail either Melynk and/or Dorion :)

My understanding of the 2021 draft is that it is decent in the top 10, but weak after that. So a mid 2nd in 2020 has more value than a late first in 2021. That is just my opinion, but it impacts how I see the value of a late first in 2021. IMO, you are lucky to get a Brown or a Tierny by 2025. So, the adage two in the hand is worth 4 in the bush applies here.

IMO Brown and Tierny at full cost are not good use of cap space. Even at 50% it's barely any better than what you can get in FA. We signed cheap Euros like Gatean Haas and vets like Shore + Kahun at near league minimum. We have Archibald, Turris, and Khaira paid a little more than that.

"you are lucky to get a Brown or a Tierny by 2025"

That's not true with a 1st since rankings are all over the place for 2021. Besides, Oilers drafted Holloway mid-first in 2020 (he can play checking/offensive role soon) and he's probably turning pro as soon as his broken thumb heals so he can sign the contract :)

I agree that a second rounder would possibly take until "2025" - Oilers 2018 2nd rounder McLeod is finally breaking out like Batherson/Norris/Formenton this season and ready to slide into the NHL next season.

Given the trade market... Sens might get a 2nd for N.Paul + Brown (50%) but not a first. I doubt Brown/Tierny get a 2nd alone or even together. I don't see a market for Tierny at all.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
As an offseason trade, id do the 2nd for Jensen.

Siegenhalert is LD, not RD as listed on OP, but we have Carlson, Schultz and TvR for RD after that. Saves as needed cap space.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Connor Brown has been on fire lately with 7 goals in 7 games for Ottawa, teams that are interested should come calling.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
To :edmonton
(at the trade deadline)

Connor Brown
(@1.75M x 2.5yrs - 50% salary retained)
Chris Tierney (@1.8M x 1.5yrs - 50% salary retained)

To :sens

2022 1st round pick (EDM)
*Conditional 2022 2nd round pick (EDM) + 2022 3rd round pick (EDM)
(both picks become a 2021 1st round pick if Edmonton reaches the conference finals)

- A la Tampa Bay & NYI last year (Coleman, Goodrow, Pageau), Edmonton bolsers their depth by adding two solid top 9 player.
- Both Brown and Tierney are young, excellent defensively and capable of chipping in offensively.
- Brown was McDavid’s junior linemate and historically does well alongside high end talent. The familiarity helps there if need be.

- Ottawa receives a 1st round pick in 2022 and late 1st (29th-32nd) in 2021 if the Oilers reach the conference finals. If they don’t, the pick is deferred to the 2nd & 3rd round picks in 2022.
- Ottawa retains salary on both Brown and Tierney to ease Edmonton’s cap situation.

RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Kahun - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Holloway - Tierney - C. Brown
Chiasson - Khaira - Kassian
Haas

Nurse - Barrie
Lagesson - Larsson
Russell - Bear
Jones

Smith
Koskinen

To :rangers

Nikita Zaitsev
(4.5M x 3yrs)
Lassi Thomson (895K x 2yrs)

Jacob Trouba (8M x 5yrs cap hit - 5.6M real salary post bonus)​

- NYR saves 3.5M/year in cap hit for the next 3 seasons, then the full 8M cap hit of the final 2 years of Trouba’s deal.
- The extra cap space can be allocated to the Zibanejad, Sherterkin, Fox, Lindgren, Buchnevich, Kakko, Chytil extensions over the next two years.
- Zaitsev doesn’t have to be protected in the expansion draft.
- Finally, NYR gets a Trouba-lite project on the blueline in Thomson. Big shot, physical, sometimes questionable IQ.

- Ottawa takes on a huge cap hit, but actually pays a mere 1.1M premium in real dollars to go from Zaitsev to Trouba. On paper, it’s a better fit to play alongside Chabot on the top pair.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Panarin - Strome - Kakko
Lafrenière - Chytil - Gauthier
Di Giuseppe - Howden - Blackwell
Rooney

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Zaitsev
Hajek - Schneider
Robertson

Shesterkin
Georgiev

To :caps

2022 2nd round pick (TBL)

Nick Jensen
(2.5M x 2yrs)
- Washington is set to protect Carlson, Orlov and Schultz in the expansion draft. That would leave Dillon, Jensen, Kempny, TVR, Sieghentaler and Johansen unprotected

- Ottawa weaponizes their last ED protection slot to snag Jensen from the Caps and strengthen their blueline depth.

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Sprong
Sheary - Backstrom - Wilson
Vrana - Eller - Oshie
Hagelin - Dowd - Panik
Hathaway

Dillon - Carlson
Orlov - Schultz
kempny - Sieghentaler
Johansen

Samsonov
Vanacek​

Rangers don't need more D, only draft picks and Centers, and I doubt Trouba would accept a trade to Ottawa.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
To :edmonton
(at the trade deadline)

Connor Brown
(@1.75M x 2.5yrs - 50% salary retained)
Chris Tierney (@1.8M x 1.5yrs - 50% salary retained)

2022 1st round pick (EDM)
*Conditional 2022 2nd round pick (EDM) + 2022 3rd round pick (EDM)
(both picks become a 2021 1st round pick if Edmonton reaches the conference finals)

- A la Tampa Bay & NYI last year (Coleman, Goodrow, Pageau), Edmonton bolsers their depth by adding two solid top 9 player.
- Both Brown and Tierney are young, excellent defensively and capable of chipping in offensively.
- Brown was McDavid’s junior linemate and historically does well alongside high end talent. The familiarity helps there if need be.

- Ottawa receives a 1st round pick in 2022 and late 1st (29th-32nd) in 2021 if the Oilers reach the conference finals. If they don’t, the pick is deferred to the 2nd & 3rd round picks in 2022.
- Ottawa retains salary on both Brown and Tierney to ease Edmonton’s cap situation.

RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Kahun - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Holloway - Tierney - C. Brown
Chiasson - Khaira - Kassian
Haas

Nurse - Barrie
Lagesson - Larsson
Russell - Bear
Jones

Smith
Koskinen

To :rangers

Nikita Zaitsev
(4.5M x 3yrs)
Lassi Thomson (895K x 2yrs)

Jacob Trouba (8M x 5yrs cap hit - 5.6M real salary post bonus)​

- NYR saves 3.5M/year in cap hit for the next 3 seasons, then the full 8M cap hit of the final 2 years of Trouba’s deal.
- The extra cap space can be allocated to the Zibanejad, Sherterkin, Fox, Lindgren, Buchnevich, Kakko, Chytil extensions over the next two years.
- Zaitsev doesn’t have to be protected in the expansion draft.
- Finally, NYR gets a Trouba-lite project on the blueline in Thomson. Big shot, physical, sometimes questionable IQ.

- Ottawa takes on a huge cap hit, but actually pays a mere 1.1M premium in real dollars to go from Zaitsev to Trouba. On paper, it’s a better fit to play alongside Chabot on the top pair.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Panarin - Strome - Kakko
Lafrenière - Chytil - Gauthier
Di Giuseppe - Howden - Blackwell
Rooney

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Zaitsev
Hajek - Schneider
Robertson

Shesterkin
Georgiev

To :caps

2022 2nd round pick (TBL)

Nick Jensen
(2.5M x 2yrs)
- Washington is set to protect Carlson, Orlov and Schultz in the expansion draft. That would leave Dillon, Jensen, Kempny, TVR, Sieghentaler and Johansen unprotected

- Ottawa weaponizes their last ED protection slot to snag Jensen from the Caps and strengthen their blueline depth.

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Sprong
Sheary - Backstrom - Wilson
Vrana - Eller - Oshie
Hagelin - Dowd - Panik
Hathaway

Dillon - Carlson
Orlov - Schultz
kempny - Sieghentaler
Johansen

Samsonov
Vanacek​

R u Suggesting 3 first rounders from the oilers?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Taylor hall isnt expected to return a 1st but you think tierny and brown combined get you a first a 2nd and a 3rd? Never gonna happen.

I don't think they'd return that, but the reason hall won't return a 1st is because he's a cancer. If he was just a regular guy with his skill he would definitely return a 1st plus more.

So not really comparable. Brown has much more value than his points and hall has much less value than his points.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Bottom six guys don't get returns like that. C'mon.

Didn't dzingel, a 3rd liner, return duclair and two 2nds not too long ago?

Didn't Stepan, an old 4th liner, return a 2nd in a trade recently?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think Ottawa should hang onto Brown. He’s playing well for them and the goal is playoffs next season

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Tierney has not been good this year...16 points in 42 games, sub-47% face off percentage, poor underlying stats and reduced usage as the season has progressed. His defensive usage seems extreme this year and I’d suggest that is effecting his numbers - because he’s not a true “stopper”. I think he’s a Kerfoot-esque player who has enough playmaking ability for short stints on a scoring line where he can put up some points and enough defensive acumen to play on a shut-down line but really isn’t ideally suited for either and lacks the physicality contending teams are looking to add for the playoffs. Now Kerfoot has been solid enough this regular season in Toronto so not saying Tierney couldn’t likewise play on a good team but his role on a contender is a little nebulous and I don’t think teams will be banging the door to have him another year past this season at $3.5 million.

Brown’s metrics are better despite similarly bad PDO and deployment on a poor team. His raw numbers were pretty bad before this little hot streak despite having, once again, copious amounts of ice time. I think he’s more tenacious though and more an ideal target for contending teams, should Ottawa decide to sell high.

Once again the Coleman and Goodrow trades are probably not as good of measuring sticks here as they seem at initial glance. Coleman is really underrated and a flat out better player. Both were much, much cheaper. Though if Ottawa is willing to retain, I think we can see the value of these two increasing. If I was Ottawa I would liquidate Tierney with retainage for the best pick I can get with all the center depth in the organization. I’d hold on to Brown for at least another season. He brings a lot and even by next TDL he will have a year left and teams won’t be worried about the expansion draft so that could increase his value.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Didn't dzingel, a 3rd liner, return duclair and two 2nds not too long ago?

Didn't Stepan, an old 4th liner, return a 2nd in a trade recently?

That is far away from three first round picks. Also the OP does not take in cap considerations at all.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
not any kind of fit or temptation to NYR

Trouba has 'No Move" clause
and Zaitsev does nothing tho backfill Trouba's presence or contributions

don't be fooled by vocal NYR-focused HFB-posters who might imply Trouba has been a disappointment
he eats minutes, he has not played poorly,
him doing his thing last season contributed to both Fox and DeAngelo being able to have their career seasons

and tho Thomson is a fine prospect, NYR have Lundkvist, Schneider and Skinner in the near-term RHD queue

the players in Sens system which might really interest NYR might be C's (Greig, Pinto) who likely won't be offered

If the Rangers could find a team to take that Trouba albatross of a salary off their hands, they would move Trouba in a heartbeat.

Trouba has been serviceable as a vet and occasionally provides physicality, which is lacking on the Rangers in general. In terms of dollars and cents, Trouba has been a massive disappointment. He was supposed to be the Rangers #1 Dman and a two-way force and hasn't even been a one-way force. That's not to say he's horrible, he's just very average and if the Rangers weren't blessed with their cheap young D - and a budding superstar in Fox - Trouba's contract would be killing the Rangers.

Trouba's contract is not sustainable for the Rangers and he will have to go at some point.

Reactions: bernmeister

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
That is far away from three first round picks. Also the OP does not take in cap considerations at all.

Oh, sorry. For some reason I thought it was 1st,2nd, 3rd for 2 players. Didn't see the 3 1sts lol my bad.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Oh, sorry. For some reason I thought it was 1st,2nd, 3rd for 2 players. Didn't see the 3 1sts lol my bad.

Well in fairness we're both right. The picks are "conditional" but any team in the north can make the conference finals this year. So it cna easily be three firsts. Yowsah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad