Ottawa vs. San Jose Stanley Cup Final

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Not that is likely, but who do you root for?

The real question is, would you rather see Burrows win a cup or pick up a 31st overall pick?

Hard to cheer against the Sens/Canada but would rather have a higher pick. Hansen, Thornton, Marleau, Burns raising the cup finally would be great

BDG123

Dec 2, 2013
Vancouver
Hard to cheer against the Sens/Canada but would rather have a higher pick. Hansen, Thornton, Marleau, Burns raising the cup finally would be great

True, Ottawa always has the next two years anyways. San Jose is probably gonna drop of a little in the next two.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Not that is likely, but who do you root for?

The real question is, would you rather see Burrows win a cup or pick up a 31st overall pick?

The presence of Hansen on the Sharks would nullify my loyalty towards Burrows.

It then just comes down the 31st overall pick, which in that case, I'd easily root for the Sharks.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

How is this even possible?

Seeing Burrows win > Seeing Hansen win + 1st overall?

Do people on here really love Burrows that much more than Hansen?

Or, do people on here simply dislike the Sharks that much?

Makes zero sense to me.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Makes zero sense to me.

Yup.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Lots of people hate the Sharks Thornton and Marleau like we were hated with the Sedins. Ottawa has Phaneuf and Ryan though.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Makes zero sense to me.

Because Burrows

Yes

Yes

Yes

__

Furthermore I love the Burr hes my fave player of all time. Second I always kinda thought Thornton was a playoff chocker and dont really like him TBH esp his trolling of Henrick a couple a years ago with the glove thing. Arrogant POS imo

But yeah Hansen would be nice to win and also 31 overall but i really doubt Benning will make that pick into us be a winner so I go with Bur lifting the cup

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Lots of people hate the Sharks Thornton and Marleau like we were hated with the Sedins. Ottawa has Phaneuf and Ryan though.

Not a fan of the Sharks, Couture especially.

Would prefer any Eastern team (except the Bruins) to win it this year. Sens would be ideal.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I guess I'm different in that regard.

Whatever ill-feeling I had towards the Sharks when they whooped us in 2013 has disappeared. I don't even dislike Boston or Chicago anymore if you can believe that.

To me, it's simple. If the Sharks win, we get the 31st overall. Period.

For me, the only teams I don't want to see do well are Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto, mainly because they are 'close' to where we are in terms of our development (these three teams are 1 step ahead of us in terms of where they are in "the cycle," but it's still 'close enough' to me that I consider them rivals).

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I guess I'm different in that regard.

Whatever ill-feeling I had towards the Sharks when they whooped us in 2013 has disappeared. I don't even dislike Boston or Chicago anymore if you can believe that.

To me, it's simple. If the Sharks win, we get the 31st overall. Period.

For me, the only teams I don't want to see do well are Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto, mainly because they are 'close' to where we are in terms of our development (these three teams are 1 step ahead of us in terms of where they are in "the cycle," but it's still 'close enough' to me that I consider them rivals).

It's not even close at all. They will be whopping our ***** for the foreseeable future. We have no rivals right now imo, we suck. You have to be good to have rivals

31st overall pick is nice but I would much rather see Burr hoist the cup. No question

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
[/B]

It's not even close at all. They will be whopping our ***** for the foreseeable future. We have no rivals right now imo, we suck. You have to be good to have rivals

Maybe the Avs could be our rival lol

:cry:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Because Burrows

Yes

Yes

Yes

__

Furthermore I love the Burr hes my fave player of all time. Second I always kinda thought Thornton was a playoff chocker and dont really like him TBH esp his trolling of Henrick a couple a years ago with the glove thing. Arrogant POS imo

But yeah Hansen would be nice to win and also 31 overall but i really doubt Benning will make that pick into us be a winner so I go with Bur lifting the cup

Fair enough, and to each their own. I love Burrows as well, but Hansen is up there for me as well. Hansen reminds me of late 90's Martin Gelinas when Gelinas was a Canuck, and so I have a massive soft spot for Hansen.

[By the way, I'm going to go out on a limb and make a slightly outlandish prediction, and people can hold me to this: I believe that our next Jannik Hansen/Martin Gelinas will be Brendan Gaunce. Gaunce may not produce the offense of Hansen/Gelinas, but I do believe that Gaunce will steadily improve as the years go by, and will be an absolute 'lunch bucket' player.......whether Gaunce does that as a member of the Canucks, Las Vegas, or elsewhere]

As far as your other comment goes (Benning/31st), you don't know that. Benning looks like he's going to do well with Boeser and Tryamkin.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Yeah I guess our rivals are Arizona, Colorado and NJ. Who can suck the most and get #1 overall lol

Sad times

Yeah Jets too. Leafs Oilers and Flames already took a big step this year to get away from the dumpster fire grouping that us and the above mentioned teams belong too :cry:

I think us the Jets and Devils will be here for at least a few more seasons :cry:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
[/B]

31st overall pick is nice but I would much rather see Burr hoist the cup. No question

The Canucks will have 14 million coming off the books next year when the twins retire.

That should be more than enough money to

1) Re-sign whatever RFA's we have to good deals.
2) Take a run at 1-2 solid UFA's

I know many posters on here are dead set against targeting UFA's for the sake of a rebuild, but I disagree.

I say if you have a chance to make your team better, and if the presence of said UFA doesn't hinder the progress/development of a prospect, then you absolutely make a splash in the UFA market........and try and get your kids to compete for a playoff spot.

I'm not saying that we should necessarily do what we did with Eriksson, but if there's a 26-28 year old out there that can be signed to a 7 year deal (for the 26 year old in this example) or a 5 year deal (for the 28 year old), then you should absolutely explore the option.

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
The Canucks will have 14 million coming off the books next year when the twins retire.

That should be more than enough money to

1) Re-sign whatever RFA's we have to good deals.
2) Take a run at 1-2 solid UFA's

I know many posters on here are dead set against targeting UFA's for the sake of a rebuild, but I disagree.

I say if you have a chance to make your team better, and if the presence of said UFA doesn't hinder the progress/development of a prospect, then you absolutely make a splash in the UFA market........and try and get your kids to compete for a playoff spot.

I'm not saying that we should necessarily do what we did with Eriksson, but if there's a 26-28 year old out there that can be signed to a 7 year deal (for the 26 year old in this example) or a 5 year deal (for the 28 year old), then you should absolutely explore the option.

UFA's are becoming mistakes with more and more regularly. Any of the potential UFA's that could instantly elevate your team are usually resigned by their original clubs. The only way to acquire franchise players these days is through hockey trades or rescuing a team in dire need of cap space. You can't make hockey trades without an abundance of assets or you end up making a hole by filling a hole. You can't rescue a team from cap trouble without cap. Every problem we have will only be cured through drafting and player development. A UFA splash is the final phase of a rebuild. It has no place in our current state.

Where does this playoff games help make players win come from? There is absolutely no substance to this claim. Winning doesn't make you win. Good management does. You ever hear the MVP of a championship team talk about how greatfull they are for winning all the time? Absolutely not. 9/10 times they talk about turning it around. I think losing is just as important in learning how to win.

I'm sick of everyone using the historically bad management of the Oilers as a case against busting players in losing environments. It's complete nonsense. They now have Connor McDavid. I'd trade our 10 years of mediocrity for their 10 years of shame in exchange for McDavid all day long.

We sure showed them. At the end of the day, we have 2 over the hill swedes. They have the best player in the world. And we both won the same amount of Stanley cups.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
One of them has a fan favourite player.

The other one is in our division.

Regardless of picks, this is easy.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Go San Jose, it's the consequentialism in me talking.

From a pure Canucks fan point of view, Burrows and Senators.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
From a general fan prospective - Ottawa because its overdue for a CND team to win the cup again so Ottawa (or MTL, Edm, etc) vs anyone, i'll generally go with the CND team.

Although in this case (because of the 1st round pick), i would cheer for SJS just because a 1st is much better than a 4th. :laugh: Don't really care about Hansen vs Burrows at all and really wouldn't be following how either player performs (only 2 i would care about are the Sedins, i would cheer for whichever team they're on except probably the Leafs).

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I wonder how many other GMs burst out laughing when they saw Benning extracted that absurd condition on the pick in the Hansen trade.

At least negotiate a condition that has a remote chance of improving the asset. Vegas has the Sharks at 12/1 to win the cup. Does Benning understand that's like an 8% chance?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
. I'd trade our 10 years of mediocrity for their 10 years of shame in exchange for McDavid all day long.

Record Revenues, Record attendances, A Stanley Cup appearance two Presidents' trophies, along with numerous individual accolades that include a Hart, Art Ross, Jack Adams, along with Selke and Vezina nominations, quantify as "10 years of mediocrity" in your eyes? :huh::huh::huh:

Thankfully, real businessmen that deal with real numbers, would not share your point of view.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad