Confirmed with Link: Ottawa signs Fredrik Claesson to a 1 year extension/$650,000

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Elaborate.

He had 10 goals 26 points last season with barely any PP time, while playing well defensively for his age and experience.

This season the offence took a step back, but the defence got better. We all know the way he is being used.

He's shown progress in different facets every year of his career. It's just a one step forward, half a step back kinda thing with Ceci.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He had 10 goals 26 points last season with barely any PP time, while playing well defensively for his age and experience.

This season the offence took a step back, but the defence got better. We all know the way he is being used.

He's shown progress in different facets every year of his career. It's just a one step forward, half a step back kinda thing with Ceci.

Uhh do you not remember Cameron's system last year? The system that was mostly offense and not defence? Not even sure how you can say he was playing well defenively despite his age.

Didn't Ceci get most of his points in the second half of the season where games were meaningless?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

He's bring used in a different role this year. You can't bring points/goals to the discussion.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
They should expose methot for sure. Claesson is a diamond in the rough.

I think there is a good chance they don't take Methot.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Uhh do you not remember Cameron's system last year? The system that was mostly offense and not defence? Not even sure how you can say he was playing well defenively despite his age.

Didn't Ceci get most of his points in the second half of the season where games were meaningless?

Ceci was a +9 on that mostly offence and not defence Cameron system. Also, according to my eye test he was definitely, at the very least, adequate defensively.

That's not bad for a 21-22 year old.

He's bring used in a different role this year. You can't bring points/goals to the discussion.

Well, I definitely agree with that.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
But you can get within 1 game of the Cup final with an injured Turris as your #1. #1 guys better than Turris are rarely available and when they are, lots of teams are looking to get them. Name one that might be available. Maybe Tavares but that's it.

Vegas probably thinks Claesson's better than Wideman. He's younger with a better chance to be a better asset. Wideman's a year from UFA and he's getting less minutes in the playoffs.

Chances are the Senators are going to lose a dman to Vegas unless a trade is worked out. Trading away Ceci isn't going to change that. It just means that the Sens lose 2 instead of 1.

You know what I mean about Turris... He has to face Crosby or Malkin right now... Ideally, Turris is a #2 on a Cup championship team...

As for the expansion draft, what do you propose?

Are you joking? Ceci is younger and has been playing the hardest minutes of any player all season long. People keep forgetting that Ceci is the youngest player on the team, playing the hardest minutes as a defenseman. Ofcourse he's going to be inconsistent.

Did you notice Ceci was out there in the last minute of the Game 6 against Pittsburgh? What could have been the last game of the season...

I think Senators coaching staff see Ceci in a much higher regard that some fans. But what do they know? Right.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Did you notice Ceci was out there in the last minute of the Game 6 against Pittsburgh? What could have been the last game of the season...

I think Senators coaching staff see Ceci in a much higher regard that some fans. But what do they know? Right.

Exactly, plus he's playing hurt. Ceci is going to be an absolute gem for us in the future. A top 4 with Karlsson, Ceci and Chabot is what's going to make us a contender for the next 10 years. He's going to be the Seabrook to Karlsson's Keith. Just a solid dependable guy on the 2nd pairing. People keep forgetting Ceci is the youngest player on the team because he's been on the team for a few seasons.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Exactly, plus he's playing hurt. Ceci is going to be an absolute gem for us in the future. A top 4 with Karlsson, Ceci and Chabot is what's going to make us a contender for the next 10 years. He's going to be the Seabrook to Karlsson's Keith. Just a solid dependable guy on the 2nd pairing. People keep forgetting Ceci is the youngest player on the team because he's been on the team for a few seasons.
Yep ,thats a win .He will be far more able to work on his game now that he has been given a purpose on the team ,big kudos to the coach for that

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Ceci with his salary is a drag and we are playing him because we don't have better options on the right side.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
I hope Ceci proves me wrong, but I just don't see much upside to his game. He has limited offensive instincts, handles the puck like a grenade, struggles to make decisions quickly, and blows his coverage way too often for a "reliable" dman. Maybe I'm being too harsh on him as he is still very young.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
$2,250,000?

I think you forgot the :sarcasm: emoticon

Cap hit 2.8M and can't be re-signed for anything under 3.
We can't play him on the 3rd pairing with that cap hit. So if Dorion wants to go and find another top-4 RHD on the UFA market his hands are tied.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
We can't play him on the 3rd pairing with that cap hit. So if Dorion wants to go and find another top-4 RHD on the UFA market his hands are tied.

Why do we need another top-4 RHD? We already have Karlsson and Ceci, who are both excellent.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

At one point Bobby Ryan was getting something like 13 minutes a game as our highest paid player. I don't understand your logic. Boucher clearly doesn't use salary to determine who players where.

Since when was "finding another top 4 RHD" as a UFA a realistic solution? You realize RHD are one of the most coveted commodities in the NHL? The Oilers had to trade TAYLOR HALL to get a young 2/3 type RD. We couldn't even fill our wishlist last year in free agency which was supposedly to get an upgrade on our bottom pair and we should be ditching Ceci because he's preventing us from signing a top 4 RHD?

The way you're describing it, it makes it sound like Ceci is Cowen who was untradeable. If Dorion thought he could get a free RHD at a reasonable price as a UFA, he could make a few phone calls and have Ceci traded away. I really don't understand the point you're trying to make....other than I agree we don't have any better options in the 2RD slot but that has nothing to do with Ceci's bridge deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad