Speculation: Ottawa Senators willing to trade pick #5

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Rough transcription of the interview:

(reporter asks about what to expect from #3 and #5, Mann responds that GM Pierre Dorion had already told reporters the plan for #3 and then elaborates on #5)

"At #5, I think it's gonna depend on what happens ahead of us. We have to be ready for a number of different things, including a scenario where maybe somebody wants to move up and take #5 as well. If that's the case, what does that give us in the end as well.

So that is a possible scenario that the amateur staff has to prepare for. This year we're in the enviable place of picking at #3 and #5, but equally based on the nature of the importance of the draft for the organization, we have to listen and prepare for any scenario that may happen. Because I think teams will call and Pierre and indicated that he will listen."

At least to me, that's a fairly generic response.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
If I am the Sens I take whoever is left of Stutzle of Byfield at #3

I then take whoever is left between Raymond and Drysdale with Drysdale being the pick if both are there.

I can't imagine having the following young core....

Stutzle
Tkachuk
Chabot
Drysdale
Brannstrom

Those are 5 legit top prospects/young players

Reactions: NB613 and viper0220

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
If there's something to be done I imagine it would be with NJ. They have 7 and 18, Sens have 5, 28, 33.

Sens could then try to move up from 18 with a 2nd or 3rd and grab one of Jarvis, Lundell, Askarov, Mercer

New Jersey makes a lot of sense if they have their eye on someone at 5.

Reactions: BigCanadian

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
In a heart beat, I would even toss in the 28th overall.

Tkachuk/Norris/Tkachuk Thank you and good night
Watch you guys do something like this and end up with Tkatchuk - Byfield - Tkatchuk as a top line for a decade.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
If I am the Sens I take whoever is left of Stutzle of Byfield at #3

I then take whoever is left between Raymond and Drysdale with Drysdale being the pick if both are there.

I can't imagine having the following young core....

Stutzle
Tkachuk
Chabot
Drysdale
Brannstrom

Those are 5 legit top prospects/young players

Dorion has essentially said they will take Byfield/Stutzle at 3. Just depends on who LA takes. Ottawa will take the other guy.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba +9oa for #5 is too much

Donato + 9 oa for #5 is too little

Dumba + 9oa for #5 + #28 + cap dump is closer...still feels light, and that MN needs more.

Greenway/Addison/Beckman +9 oa for #5 is also closer

As a Wild fan, I am not feeling all that excited about moving up to #5. IMO, there are the top 3 who are sexy as hell, two nice dmen that we don't need, then a bunch of enticing question marks that won't necessarily be able to play C in the NHL filling out the top 10. I'd just as soon stay at #9. For the #3 pick...well, I'd do some dirty, dirty, things.:)

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
If there's something to be done I imagine it would be with NJ. They have 7 and 18, Sens have 5, 28, 33.

Sens could then try to move up from 18 with a 2nd or 3rd and grab one of Jarvis, Lundell, Askarov, Mercer
Not sure what Jersey fans think of this, but I would be very interested in the first round swaps with them.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Rough transcription of the interview:

(reporter asks about what to expect from #3 and #5, Mann responds that GM Pierre Dorion had already told reporters the plan for #3 and then elaborates on #5)

"At #5, I think it's gonna depend on what happens ahead of us. We have to be ready for a number of different things, including a scenario where maybe somebody wants to move up and take #5 as well. If that's the case, what does that give us in the end as well.

So that is a possible scenario that the amateur staff has to prepare for. This year we're in the enviable place of picking at #3 and #5, but equally based on the nature of the importance of the draft for the organization, we have to listen and prepare for any scenario that may happen. Because I think teams will call and Pierre and indicated that he will listen."

At least to me, that's a fairly generic response.
So it seems like they're not super high at anyone at 5, which implies that maybe they're comfortable moving down a few spots and drafting someone from their set?

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
I've got a buddy that thinks that two 4's = an 8. He can sleep with all the ugly girls he wants to, doesnt make it true.

That's all well and good but perhaps your buddy believes that the 3 x 4s (who come with personality which the 8 lacks) each have 9 potential. Your buddy in this example would be the Sens in case that wasn't clear.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
#13 + Dominik Bokk or Jake Bean

Who would Carolina want in spot 5? I thought they were looking at the goalie? Very good chance he slides to them unless there is news out there about someone above them interested in drafting a goalie? Only teams I can see above Carolina that would be thinking goalie is Buffalo but they need forward prospects in a bad way or Minny but they should be drafting a center in their slot.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So it seems like they're not super high at anyone at 5, which implies that maybe they're comfortable moving down a few spots and drafting someone from their set?

I think you're reading into it a little too much, or perhaps that's just the difference between listening to the interview and reading a transcription. Mann just was saying that they have to be ready for anything, I didn't get the impression that they're by any means intending to move down.

Reactions: Zoltar

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I think you're reading into it a little too much, or perhaps that's just the difference between listening to the interview and reading a transcription. Mann just was saying that they have to be ready for anything, I didn't get the impression that they're by any means intending to move down.
Oh, I am not saying I will, but I am more thinking why they might be and the most reasonable is this. If they had their guy, I think communication would be different :)

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Sens need to come out with a center with one of their top picks. The are 3 interesting scenarios, from best to worst:

1. Sens draft Byfield at 3
Detroit drafts Perfetti/Drysdale at 4
Sens draft Raymond at 5

2. Sens draft Stutzle at 3
Detroit drafts Raymond/Drysdale at 4
Sens draft Perfetti at 5

3. Sens draft Stutzle at 3
Detroit drafts Perfetti at 4
*Sens still need to draft a C

I could see Sens wanting to trade down at that point to draft Rossi. Best option: trade 5 + 28 to NJD for 7 + 20

Or, if Sens have to draft Stutzle, I could see them try to package a lower pick to Detroit in order to swap 4th and 5th, just so Sens can guarantee Perfetti at 4

I don't think Detroit will draft a right handed defenseman since they have Seider and Hronek in their system. They need centers/wings/left D/goalies.

There's a lot of rumors that Stevie Y will pick Perfetti.

L-A will pick one of Byfield/Stutzle (probably Byfield since big center who skate like the wind are a rare commodity)

So Ottawa will probably pick Stutzle at #3 and one of Drysdale/Rossi/Raymond at #5.

If I was them my choice would be Drysdale, but who knows...

Af for a trade down with their 5th overall, they might be high on Askarov, since it's an organisational need and the guy is certainly top-3/5 in terms of raw talent. But being a (russian) goalie might make him fall a bit.

So maybe they would be ready to get down 2-3 ranks, pick the russian goalie and get a low 1st rd/high 2nd rd pick in the process.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad