Speculation: Ottawa Senators willing to trade pick #5

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
if i knew that melnyk could resign him and brady and still have money to resign norris and batherson in the future i would strongly consider this

The Sens have like $43 million in cap space and like 6 guys signed to a contract right now. Trust me..... they got money. If Sergachev's camp plays hardball we trade him for the biggest haul we can get. #5 is a BIG f***ing haul

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Depending on who's still on the board and if NJ truly wants Drysdale, I'd swap with New Jersey if it means us moving up from 28 to 20.

My offer at post 108 could stand for 7OA, depending...

I want to walk away with Sanderson and small +

you flip 5 to 7, come back to flip again.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
The Sens have like $43 million in cap space and like 6 guys signed to a contract right now. Trust me..... they got money. If Sergachev's camp plays hardball we trade him for the biggest haul we can get. #5 is a BIG f***ing haul

no no no you dont understand, we have the cap space 1000% but you do not understand melnyk

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Dude you obviously don't know how Eugene Melnyk operates.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Sens still have to reach the cap floor. Melnyk can cheap out all he wants. If the Sens landed Sergachev he would help them get there at worst
They sens will be there without Sergachev.

Every dollar Sergachev gets will be one extra dollar melynk has to spend.

It isn't happening.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Sens still have to reach the cap floor. Melnyk can cheap out all he wants. If the Sens landed Sergachev he would help them get there at worst

yeah and unfortunately there are contracts like stepan, dubynk, andersen, eriksson available that can help ottawa get there without having to spend the 6-8 million in real dollars to resign sergachev

i would love to get him on the sens its nothing like that just the melynk in the room

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
They sens will be there without Sergachev.

Every dollar Sergachev gets will be one extra dollar melynk has to spend.

It isn't happening.

yeah and unfortunately there are contracts like stepan, dubynk, andersen, eriksson available that can help ottawa get there without having to spend the 6-8 million in real dollars to resign sergachev

i would love to get him on the sens its nothing like that just the melynk in the room

We'll have to see what happens. PD shouldn't be shopping the #5 pick unless ownership is ready to take back ACTUAL money. Giving up #5 for dudes to just eat cap hits with a low actual salary is the worst asset management I can possibly think of.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
We'll have to see what happens. PD shouldn't be shopping the #5 pick unless ownership is ready to take back ACTUAL money. Giving up #5 for dudes to just eat cap hits with a low actual salary is the worst asset management I can possibly think of.

we wouldnt trade #5 for that lol

im just saying that since its melnyk we will actually take on some dumps if needed with lower salaries then cap hits to bail out other teams and somehow give them a 2nd/3rd in the process

aka the melnyk special

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Ottawa Senators Chief Amateur Scout Says that they’d be willing to trade the 5th pick, depending on what happens with picks 1-4.

If this is true would the Senators be interested in uniting the Tkachuk brothers.

As much as i hate Matthew Tkachuk, Calgary would be extremely stupid to move him. Especially for a draft pick, even if it's a high one. You have a sure fire star who plays with an edge, he's big, physical and can score. Why would you give that up for a potential hit.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
OtTAwA IS tHe cApitAl Of CAnAdA, thAt's whY.

sorry for not capitalized anymore - fingers are tired. young and upcoming doesn't mean they are very good.
I disagree, Suzuki and KK have shown great potential. We have to wait and see for Caufield. I am quite sure, Ottawa would definitely jump on the occasion on grabbing anyone of them, just like another team.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Melynyk has said he wants to draft, Askarov.

Maybe 5th overall + 59th to New Jersey for 7th + 18th

then 7th to Nashville for 11th + Alexandre Carrier + 2021 3rd + 166th
-----

so 5 + 59th for 11th, 18th, 2021 3rd, 166th , Carrier.

----
Leaves Ottawa drafting

3rd - Stutzle
11th - Askarov
18th - Guhle/Schneider/Zary
28th - Grans/Wallinder
+ 33rd, 52nd, 61st, 64th, 71st, 95th, 155th, 158th, 166th, 181st....

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Maybe 5th overall + 59th to New Jersey for 7th + 18th

That's a big price to move up a couple spots in the same tier of talent. Just a comparison to what Toronto gave up in 2008:

Toronto: 5th overall
NY Islanders: 7th overall, 68th overall, future 2nd (37th overall)

In 2007, St. Louis (who coveted Jakub Voracek) offered #9 and #24 to Edmonton for #6 but there was a perceived talent drop after 6/7 (depending on how you felt about Alexei Cherepanov).

But in context of this year's draft, I don't think it makes a ton of sense to pay that sort of price to move from #7 to #5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad