GDT: Ottawa Senators at Seattle Kraken - 10PM - TSN5/RDS - Kraken Green Eggs and Hamonic with and Ice-Cold Sens Coffee

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I am a Canadian supporter but above all a hockey fan and I like to follow the construction of a team. Almost everyone predicted a good season for the Senators because on paper, they seem like a good team. Tonight, watching them play, what struck me the most was how much faster the Kraken were than the Senators, that they often won puck battles and that they played more as a team. Am I the only one who saw this?

I am a Canadian supporter but above all a hockey fan and I like to follow the construction of a team. Almost everyone predicted a good season for the Senators because on paper, they seem like a good team. Tonight, watching them play, what struck me the most was how much faster the Kraken were than the Senators, that they often won puck battles and that they played more as a team. Am I the only one who saw this?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

We have been watching this for weeks now.

Reactions: Nevins

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Sens hockey on this roadie

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'd like a big, speedy winger in the top 6. Agressive and fast and maybe can pot 20 goals, but you need a big dude who can skate up front and you need a shutdown right handed dman.

Or maybe even 2 big wingers. Our forecheck is disappointing and ineffective a lot of the time imo.

Reactions: heater007

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I honestly thought we'd at least be playing better than this on the western road trip after winning 3 out of 4 prior to it, but it's still the same mental mistakes and lack of poise overall. Martin must be losing patience already.

It was spot on on my part to suggest it would take a month minimum to start seeing any major improvement. There's just too many bad habits burnt into their brains.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I honestly thought we'd at least be playing better than this on the western road trip after winning 3 out of 4 prior to it, but it's still the same mental mistakes and lack of poise overall. Martin must be losing patience already.

It was spot on on my part to suggest it would take a month minimum to start seeing any major improvement. There's just too many bad habits burnt into their brains.

I feel like this game they played pretty good overall but Seattle played a perfect game at home. They play the way Jacques Martin is trying to make this team play. Relentless forecheck and pressure offensively and defensively. That's how they win, their players bought into this system and while they don't have any stars on their team they have great depth and everyone plays hard and fast. Their D kept us to the outside. We took a lot of perimeter shots because of it and we weren't able to attack the middle of the ice. Daccord played an perfect game.

We played 55 minutes tonight and it's a pretty big improvement over 20-40 which has been the case for this season. Korpisalo had a great game. I thought the team overall was more aggressive defensively and closing gaps quicker.

We need more for sure, especially from the leaders of this team, but that was a step in the right direction towards how this team needs to play. It's not there yet but it's better than it was. Joseph and Pinto should also make things interesting and give Martin a lot more options. I'm curious to see how things line up when the roster is full.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I'll second that

Reactions: Nevins

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The best thing I did for myself was stop watching these games live. No getting your hopes up that they'll actually show up and win, much easier to be pleasantly surprised this way without any of the time commitment. I couldn't imagine having stayed up until 11:30 or whatever it was to watch the game get completely out of reach.

dekem

Sep 2, 2005
Apathy is really setting in. At least last season we got to watch Stutzle put up 90 and actually look good doing it. Guy is putting up points this year but looks like ass most of the time
He seems to cave caused more goals against than he has scored. It is either a poor decision at the opponent blue line or constantly falling down and unable to prevent the other team taking the puck, like last night. Maybe he should get his skates sharpened or change to a different brand.

Reactions: LiseL

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
He seems to cave caused more goals against than he has scored. It is either a poor decision at the opponent blue line or constantly falling down and unable to prevent the other team taking the puck, like last night. Maybe he should get his skates sharpened or change to a different brand.
The problem is that when he does fall down, he’s outnumbered and has no close support. Kraken carried the puck as a unit. When coming through the neutral zone, they exposed our blue line with a quick pass through swooping Chabot. After that, our defense backed into our zone every single time. Stützle is able to single-handedly back the Kreken d back over their blue line, but they can swarm him when he executes the high delay, losing his speed and so is not a threat to do anything on his own.

Zone entry is, perforce, a game of momentum differential.

Reactions: DrEasy

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
The last few years the disappointment was just for the individual lost seasons but this year it’s a realization that this core isn’t it and Dorion’s rebuild was a failed one. It’s pretty depressing to go through such a long rebuild and this is what they built.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad