GDT: Ottawa Senators at Philadelphia Flyers - 1PM - TSN5/RDS2 - Moms I would like to.... have their sons win Edition

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Amazing couple of games. I am honestly astonished that this is the same team from a week or so ago. This is the first time in 5-6 years where they actually look like a professional hockey team out there with an NHL level system. Its f***ing beautiful.

A couple of things I noticed that have improved drastically and helped in their Dzone play is how quickly they breakout. Whenever there is pressure, they are zipping it around the boards and there is always someone there to receive or support along the boards. Even the 4th line is breaking out cleanly. It really has neutralized the other team's forechecks and helped us not get stuck on own zone. In previous system they tend to hold on to the puck for so long and waiting for the perfect outlet pass behind the net for the breakout. Now they are just zipping it across the boards.

Another thing is that we finally have forwards backchecking, which in return is disrupting the other team's counter attack, slowing the opponent down in the neutral zone, and making the dmen's job a lot easier. The dmen don't have to defend so many odd man rushes or teams coming down with crazy speed from the neutral zone. I have never seen Tkachuk below the goalie red line battling in the boards for the puck before. Its amazing to see.

The forecheck is now coming in with waves and having sustained pressure. When they dump the puck, they are actually doing it with a purpose and actually have support with players retrieving the puck, and not just giving it back to the other team. The forecheck has also been helped by the dmen being agressive at the blueline and helping keep the puck in, which is doable when the forwards are actually covering for the dmen when they decide to pressure.

One last thing I noticed is the productivity of the 4th line. Usually these type of players can only thrive when there is a system and structure with clear defined roles set out for them. This system now allows them to play a simple game, and they are being rewarded for it. There has been no change of personnel, they are the same players that are simply more productive right now. The old system of run and gun hockey, with people running around like headless chicken only benefited the skilled players because it was just shinny hockey, and just relied on skill to be productive. The lesser skilled players always need to be put into a simple system where its more organized, and everyone plays within their capabilities and the team system.

Also please, we have moved on as an organization for the need of Hamonic, for the love of god, the guy can barely play in the AHL at this point. Whoever gave this dude 2 years and an NTC need to be tried for warcrimes against humanity.
Seems like the "tidbits" as DJ called what JM was offering are finally paying off and becoming more natural. I think we see more trap and counter against the top teams.. This will help our team D and with the skill on the attack this team has it will be a successful combo. I think even the biggest DJ fans and detractors of a coaching change can now see the potential for some sustainable success vs the Fire wagon hockey they had been playing. I think some hope has been restored .. not to challenge for a playoff spot but that this roster is willing to and can adapt to a more defensive mindset that allows them to grind out wins. Still early days in the turn around but definitely signs of some real progress.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
It was obviously a good goal and I wasn't too impressed by anyone's on-ice awareness, perhaps especially Sogaard's, as well as the lack of any screaming or yelling coming from the bench.

Reactions: LiseL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It was obviously a good goal and I wasn't too impressed by anyone's on-ice awareness, perhaps especially Sogaard's, as well as the lack of any screaming or yelling coming from the bench.

Sogaard is the only one that probably should have tracked that, it's not like anyone on the flyers aside from the one guy saw it either.

What I don't get is how Sogaard thought he had it if it went off his stick, usually that's a pretty specific feel as compared to it hitting your pads and getting absorbed somewhere under you. Maybe it went off the flyers screen and never got to him, and with the flyers Jersey's being black, it was really hard to track through the crowd?

Reactions: Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I remember Schultz, Kelly and Clarke as the Flyers tough guys.
The Broadstreet Bullies were the 1970s Flyers. The only real tough guy I remember from the early 2000s was Donald Brashear (and I lived in the Philly suburbs at that time).

The NHL record for penalty minutes was a game between the Senators and Flyers in March, 2004. There were 419 penalty minutes. I was at the game and thought the 3rd period would never end. It took another 90 minutes after the game to figure out what all the penalties were. Even Spezza fought. It started with Recchi getting into it with Havlat.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Broadstreet Bullies were the 1970s Flyers. The only tough guy I remember from the early 2000s was Donald Brashear (and I lived in the Philly suburbs at that time).

They had some big guys that liked to play a physical game, Roenick, Primeau, Leclair, they brought in Hatcher for a bit, but Brashear was there to do all the fighting.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
They had some big guys that liked to play a physical game, Roenick, Primeau, Leclair, they brought in Hatcher for a bit, but Brashear was there to do all the fighting.
Sure, but I distinguish between big players that play a physical game and players that fight a lot and play that role. Brashear was the latter and he was very good at it.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
The Broadstreet Bullies were the 1970s Flyers. The only real tough guy I remember from the early 2000s was Donald Brashear (and I lived in the Philly suburbs at that time).

The NHL record for penalty minutes was a game between the Senators and Flyers in March, 2004. There were 419 penalty minutes. I was at the game and thought the 3rd period would never end. It took another 90 minutes after the game to figure out what all the penalties were. Even Spezza fought. It started with Recchi getting into it with Havlat.

They had Todd Fedoruk who was nails in the early 2000s too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I remember watching the Senators-Flyers brawl.

Reactions: Big Muddy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
They had Todd Fedoruk who was nails in the early 2000s too.
Sure, I agree. I stated the only guy I could remember. Brashear was in a lot of fights, took on the heavy weights and rarely lost (not sure if I remember him losing a fight).

My first post that started this off was to point out that post that Cosmix replied to was about the 2000s Flyers whereas Cosmix was talking about the 1970s Broadstreet Bullies.

Reactions: Bileur

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
They updated the rule a few years back to allow goals when it's a "continuation of the play" prior to the whistle, so if the puck is shot, then the whistle blows, they can allow the goal.

This particular play wasn't a case of the goalie or D giving up on the play because of the whistle, they already stopped tracking the puck, it should have been a goal with no whistle, the ref blowing the whistle in error made no difference in whether that puck was going in the net or not, they are able to and did review the replay to ensure the whistle didn't impact the play, so I personally feel this is a case of the rules getting the intention of the game right.
Ok. Interesting. I also wasn't aware of that 'continuation of the play' rule change. Makes sense. I just have too many bad memories of potential loose puck battles and a quick whistle or the 'intent to blow the whistle' coming back to haunt us. 99% of the time this is obviously loose puck battles in or near the goal crease. Just a crazy sequence that the puck actually comes out to a D man near his point position and no one else on the ice even notices LOL

Reactions: LiseL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As an aside, I thought the second goal by Zemula was a bad one, but it turns out it deflected off Zub's stick right in front of Sogaard, tougher save than I originally had though.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Sure, I agree. I stated the only guy I could remember. Brashear was in a lot of fights, took on the heavy weights and rarely lost (not sure if I remember him losing a fight).

My first post that started this off was to point out that post that Cosmix replied to was about the 2000s Flyers whereas Cosmix was talking about the 1970s Broadstreet Bullies.

Yeah I’m just reminding you of Fedoruk, not trying to be a smartass.

I agree with your point. It’s still true with both Fedoruk and Brashear around.

Reactions: Big Muddy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yeah I’m just reminding you of Fedoruk, not trying to be a smartass.

I agree with your point. It’s still true with both Fedoruk and Brashear around.
OK, no worries. At this stage though, I've probably forgotten more than I remember. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Bileur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad