GDT: Ottawa Senators at Philadelphia Flyers - 1PM - TSN5/RDS2 - Moms I would like to.... have their sons win Edition

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Mom's road trip - what could go wrong?

The Senators welcome back a familiar face today as Shane Pinto makes his return to the line up for the first time this season and will surely pack a punch to an already stellar Senators offence averaging 3.34 goals per game. While we're not sure where Pinto will slot in yet, the Senators centre depth just got notably better, and the Flyers will be put to the task of figuring out how to play against this new look Sens group.

The Flyers find themselves just two points out of the Metropolitan Division lead just past the midway point of the season. Led by Travis Konecny (41), Joel Farabee (36), Sean Couturier (30), and Owen Tippett (30) all with 30+ points on the season, the Senators will have their hands full. The true strength of this Flyers team however is their structured defensive system allowing only 2.74 goals on 28.5 shots per game. If the Senators want a chance today they will have to test Carter Hart early and often.

1705847227071.png

Reactions: Flamingo

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Looking forward to Shane Mr. Bean Pinto back in the fold. Finally a full-strengthish team sans Forsberg.

Go Sens Go, this is a winnable game.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Can someone tell the players the fans aren’t all that bothered about yesterday, because they played a complete game with full effort, which is what we want night in night out.

GSG, make me believe!

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Are they playing Sogaard or running back Korpisalo? If you claim to believe in the fancy stats, as Jacques did the other day, then you have to be playing your second goalie today. The stats clearly show a dropoff in performance for goalies playing a back to back. To me you either play Sogaard today or send him back down and bring up Mando or Meralainen, because there is no sense in having him here if you aren't prepared to play him occasionally.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Are they playing Sogaard or running back Korpisalo? If you claim to believe in the fancy stats, as Jacques did the other day, then you have to be playing your second goalie today. The stats clearly show a dropoff in performance for goalies playing a back to back. To me you either play Sogaard today or send him back down and bring up Mando or Meralainen, because there is no sense in having him here if you aren't prepared to play him occasionally.
I'd give Sogaard another chance. If he has another rough game, we can send him down for more seasoning,

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
For the Sens to finish the season at .500 and 82 points they need a 2nd half season record of 24-16 -1

Possible after what we saw last night. They’d pick between 8-11 if they go .500%

Reactions: Flamingo and OD99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'd give Sogaard another chance. If he has another rough game, we can send him down for more seasoning,

You could get Guy Fieri to season Soggard but you’re still going to end up with a career goalie similar to Anton Forsberg.

Soggard is not the answer. He can play games but he’s not your playoff goalie or future starter. Just to many holes in his game but most importantly he doesn’t seem to have the mental makeup to be an NHL starter

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
This should be a good test. Sens with two solid home performances in a row. Can they go on the road and replicate the overall good structure with minimal errors combined with a consistent effort for 60 OR do the poor habits start creeping back in as soon as something doesn’t go their way. Philly also playing back to back and 3rd in 4 days also so it’s not a rested vs tired team scenario.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would think Sogy starts today on such a quick turn around.

Now official

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You could get Guy Fieri to season Soggard but you’re still going to end up with a career goalie similar to Anton Forsberg.

Soggard is not the answer. He can play games but he’s not your playoff goalie or future starter. Just to many holes in his game but most importantly he doesn’t seem to have the mental makeup to be an NHL starter
I'm starting to come to that conclusion also. It's shocking to me how a guy who is that tall can have such a stooped stance and look so small in the crease, but he does it. I also think that because he is so tall, there are holes that open up between his arms and torso that aren't an issue for guys who are in the 6'2" range. I am much more keen on Meralainen as the potential goalie of the future, and also think that Mandolese gets overlooked - Mando is that guy who, like Joey Daccord and Chris Driedger, is going to come back to bite us in the ass once we let him leave the organization.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm OK with this. I think Grieg is versatile enough that he can be effective in either spot. He'll play the same game no matter what. Like a lot of young centres he's also weak in the dot, so getting him on the wing might help our faceoff numbers.
It's the expected move but I have liked his 200 foot game at C and I think that GGT line is working. Although I would have liked that to remain .. I was expecting him to shift over because he is so plug and play . Its good for the roster to have the flexibility to move him back there if needed for whatever reason. Which line ? With Stutzle moving Joseph down or with Pinto moving Kelly down?

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany

I'd say it's way too early to make that call. Most goalies these days don't become a fulltime starter until age 26 or so.

Marc-Andre Fleury at times looked like a mental desaster who cost his teams playoff-series on multiple occasions, yet also backed his teams on multiple cup-runs. Same with Matt Murray, who was esssential in two Cup-wins for the Penguins, but also had serious issues with mental toughness when things weren't going well for his teams. At age 23 Giguere hadn't made it to the NHL on a full-time basis yet, but at age 26 had won a Conn Smythe on what may have been the best playoff-performance by a goalie ever. Linus Ullmark didn't look like anything special, until he moved to the Bruins at age 28 and won a Vezina at age 29. Adin Hill just carried his team to the Cup at age 27, having never been a starter in the NHL prior to that, and even bouncing around between the NHL and AHL a lot.

Goalies just take a while. There are plenty of cases where things didn't click until much later on, and sometimes goalies worked perfectly fine under one situation / one team, while not working at all somewhere else.. Maybe Sogaard will never be the starter for Ottawa, but right now it is too early to tell.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Any word on who is coming out? Sounds like it will be a winger, so, Kubalik? Kelly has been playing too well to get cut, I guess one of Chartier or Kastelic could come out

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In the before times, they would have been afraid to sit Kubalik because it might hurt his trade value. Now, I just don't think that's a consideration with the new regime - they will sit whoever deserves to sit.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3