Pre-Game Talk: Ottawa Senators @ Anaheim Ducks // Oct. 13th // 8PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
3- Practice our Penalty killing, we haven't had enough time in practice to adjust and take out any bugs we might have in our system. Partly due to the idiotic Schedule the NHL has given us to start the season.

Were practicing our pk. Corvo took a puck to the face practicing last night. Also does anyone know who shot the puck? If it was Turris i'd lol

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
FtgwXz1.jpg

Yay.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Can't wait for the game! Its retro night! It looks like Bobby is heating up, hope for a good game I'll be there.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I expect they're really going to want to get this one for Bobby.

Karlsson played over 28 minutes last night. Expect he's not gong to have much gas in the tank.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This will be a very hard game and a likely loss.
No pts for you. Sens will lose

:sens

sensfandan

Aug 21, 2004
Ottawa
I mentioned it in the Bobby Ryan thread, but I'll say it again here: Michalek's style of play just doesn't mesh with Spezza - Ryan. Michalek does everything at top speed, whereas Spezza - Ryan try to slow the game down. Michalek has been reduced to simply being the muscle on that line, and while because of his size/work ethic he does a decent job at that role, it really isn't his forte.

Everyone is saying we should try Greening - Spezza - Ryan, and I 100% agree. Greening can be that buzzsaw, while freeing up Michalek to play with some faster/more explosive skaters.

Greening - Spezza - Ryan
Michalek - Turris - Conacher

In my mind that's a much more balanced top 6. Turris and Conacher create much more in transition, and will be able to use Michalek's breakaway speed. He also provides them with significantly more size/strength than MacArthur.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Any TV for the game tonight in the Ottawa area?

Also, should be interesting to see how warm a welcome Bobby gets tonight.
Sportsnet
I expect they're really going to want to get this one for Bobby.

Karlsson played over 28 minutes last night. Expect he's not gong to have much gas in the tank.

Im sure Karlsson could still easily play 30mins tonight :P

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I mentioned it in the Bobby Ryan thread, but I'll say it again here: Michalek's style of play just doesn't mesh with Spezza - Ryan. Michalek does everything at top speed, whereas Spezza - Ryan try to slow the game down. Michalek has been reduced to simply being the muscle on that line, and while because of his size/work ethic he does a decent job at that role, it really isn't his forte.

Everyone is saying we should try Greening - Spezza - Ryan, and I 100% agree. Greening can be that buzzsaw, while freeing up Michalek to play with some faster/more explosive skaters.

Greening - Spezza - Ryan

In my mind that's a much more balanced top 6. Turris and Conacher create much more in transition, and will be able to use Michalek's breakaway speed. He also provides them with significantly more size/strength than MacArthur.

I think this works and it gives Pageau a quality winger in MacArthur , and puts a little more size on that second line without taking away their speed game.

Stone Valley

A State of Trance
Jan 19, 2010
Ottawa
www.youtube.com
Well I was right about last nights score.. I am going for another loss here. 2-1 Loss.

Sens don't seem to fair well against the west coast teams, and starting the season on the road and in the WEST is deadly for Ottawa. Hopefully we can bounce back when we start playing at home & against eastern teams.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Greening - Spezza - Ryan

Funny, we used to read that Greening didn't mesh well with Spezza & Michalek when they were a line & he wasn't consistent enough or didn't score enough to be on the 1st line. Now it's Michalek's fault the line isn't quite working even though they are scoring but the team isn't winning. How is it that we never blame Spezza for the line not working? He gives the puck away, he kills momentum, he gets stupid penalities at the worst times & skates east/west instead of north/south. I would rather see Ryan with Turris & MacArthur, I think they play a more similar style. Greening, Spezza & Michalek, all three had a pretty good yr two yrs ago together & why wouldn't that work again?

Of course, I would also replace Da Costa & Pageau, I think they need to get bigger & stronger down the middle & much better at faceoffs. I would bring Zibanejad & Grant up to replace those two. Da Costa is reminding me more & more of Cory Locke who was great in the AHL but couldn't translate that success to the NHL.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
MacArthur pots his first tonight.

Wow, I never realized he still hasn't scored. I thought he already had a couple on the year. He has been very effective.

1- Too many smallish forwards (Turris, Conacher, Pageau, DaCosta) In a team, you only need 2 or 3 tops.
2- Our first line isn't playing as a top line, Michalek has no vision out there to create a play out of magic and has difficulty interfusing with his line mates, thus shouldn't be playing with elite forwards. But might as well give it time to gel...

Those first 3 have been our best/most consistent forwards so far. DaCosta will most likely be replaced by Zibanejad.

Yea, couple more games for milo before replacing him.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
How is it that we never blame Spezza for the line not working? He gives the puck away, he kills momentum, he gets stupid penalities at the worst times & skates east/west instead of north/south.

I've seen a lot of ridiculous Spezza criticism on this board. But skating east/west instead of north/south has got to top the list.

Wow, I never realized he still hasn't scored. I thought he already had a couple on the year. He has been very effective.

I know eh? He's played so well you'd think he'd have 3 by now.

PablitoArg

Dec 27, 2009
Ottawa
We've had nothing but practice time, since we haven't been playing many games.

it's different when you practice away from home, you get the arena for an X amount of time. Compared to the Sensplex, players can stay and work on additional details of the game and fully concentrate on their trait.

We have a young team, they're on their first road trip to sunny california. Most of the players haven't been there. It's more of a tour seeing thing for them, they can't wait to finish practice to go visit the cities. Unlike veterans like Philips who've seen most of it... It's a completely different way of practice when you're on the road, compared to home.

Cowen, Wiercioch, Gryba, Lehner, Pageau, Conacher, DaCosta are all rookies of california

include in there Greening, Condra, Smith... the mid 20's boys... who have been in the nhl for only their 3rd nhl season + lockout included (No west vs East). It's almost a first time thing for them too

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Greening - Spezza - Ryan

MacArthur might not like it. I believe he signed here with the intention of playing top 6 minutes. Besides what has greening done to earn that ice time this year?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
What I'd like to see (with the current roster).

Conacher - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek
Greening - Pageau - Condra
Smith - Da Costa (rather Zib) - Neil

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
MacArthur might not like it. I believe he signed here with the intention of playing top 6 minutes. Besides what has greening done to earn that ice time this year?

Agreed. Greening has done nothing this season, you don't reward him with first line minutes and then put MacArthur on the third.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad