OT: Ottawa Fury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Its going to be interesting what happens with Montreal some have said they may not last in Mls would be a nice rival for Ottawa if they drop down to the Nasl.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Its going to be interesting what happens with Montreal some have said they may not last in Mls would be a nice rival for Ottawa if they drop down to the Nasl.

Doubt MLS would let that happen. If Ottawa is doing well though I wouldn't be surprised if one day we get pulled up to MLS.

We still have our rivalry in the Canadian Championship. I'm very confident we get past Edmonton and face off against the MLS squads this year. Remember FC Edmonton came seconds away from beating Impact last year in the semis.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Our midfield is pretty strong. Ryan, Ubi, DG. Davies is behind all of them on the depth chart.

Davies was only playing mid because of injuries to Ryan and Eustaquio in the first place.

There's no way in hell Joey Saputo would eat the massive MLS expansion fee he paid and drop back down to NASL again. No. Way.

Doubt MLS would let that happen. If Ottawa is doing well though I wouldn't be surprised if one day we get pulled up to MLS.

We still have our rivalry in the Canadian Championship. I'm very confident we get past Edmonton and face off against the MLS squads this year. Remember FC Edmonton came seconds away from beating Impact last year in the semis.

There are roughly fifteen markets ahead of Ottawa. MLS won't even consider us unless we consistently draw 10k minimum.

Also, not sure about whether or not we'll get past Edmonton. Yes, our team is better and more expensive on paper, but they've retained the exact same team from last year. Only real loss for them was Neil Hlavaty, who took some of their set pieces. They've gained an Icelandic international in Oskar Hauksson, and an MLS vet in Sainey Nyassi.

Colin Miller's team knows how to defend away from home, and I'm still not sold on Fury FC up front.

Here's my pre-JDG 2015 Fury FC Season Preview.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Davies was only playing mid because of injuries to Ryan and Eustaquio in the first place.

There's no way in hell Joey Saputo would eat the massive MLS expansion fee he paid and drop back down to NASL again. No. Way.

There are roughly fifteen markets ahead of Ottawa. MLS won't even consider us unless we consistently draw 10k minimum.

Also, not sure about whether or not we'll get past Edmonton. Yes, our team is better and more expensive on paper, but they've retained the exact same team from last year. Only real loss for them was Neil Hlavaty, who took some of their set pieces. They've gained an Icelandic international in Oskar Hauksson, and an MLS vet in Sainey Nyassi.

Colin Miller's team knows how to defend away from home, and I'm still not sold on Fury FC up front.

Here's my pre-JDG 2015 Fury FC Season Preview.

I would not say there are 15 markets ahead of Ottawa as for they would not look at Ottawa unless they avg atleast 10,000 well they gave Toronto a team and they were not avg 10,000.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Davies out at least 2 months with broken arm, Guzman will probably start on the 4th as Ryan and Eustaquio are also injured.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
I would not say there are 15 markets ahead of Ottawa as for they would not look at Ottawa unless they avg atleast 10,000 well they gave Toronto a team and they were not avg 10,000.

Toronto didn't have a pro team before TFC, buddy.

Fifteen Markets Ahead of Ottawa

1) Minnesota (confirmed)
2) Atlanta (confirmed)
3) Miami (This is nearly confirmed)
4) Second Los Angeles franchise (this is nearly confirmed)
5) Sacramento (draws ridiculous numbers in USL pro)
6) Indianapolis (incredible numbers in its inaugural NASL campaign)
7) San Antonio (worked well in its four years in NASL)
----------
8) St. Louis (huge population area, plenty of investment $$$)
9) Bay Area (SF/OAK) (huge untapped population area with massive latino pop)
10) Phoenix (huge untapped population area with massive latino pop)
11) Las Vegas ($$$)
12) Austin (bigger, wealthier market)
13) Jacksonville (bigger, more soccer interest than Ottawa)
14) Charlotte (way bigger)
15) Tampa (longer soccer tradition, bigger market)

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Charlottte 800.000
Ottawa 1.3 million
Jacksonville 750.000

Don't know how Charlotte is way bigger or Jacksonville.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Charlottte 800.000
Ottawa 1.3 million
Jacksonville 750.000

Don't know how Charlotte is way bigger or Jacksonville.

I don't usually post in the soccer thread (because full admission: I'm hopelessly lost here), but I felt the need to clear this one thing up:

1) Metro Ottawa (Ottawa, Nepean, Gatineau, Goucester, Kanata, Orleans, etc...) is 1.236mil.

2) Metro Charlotte (Charlotte–Concord–Gastonia metro & surrounding area) is 2.335mil

3) Metro Jacksonville (Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Fernandina, Orange Park, Middleburg, etc...) is 1.345mil.

Ottawa is definitely the smallest of the three metro areas, and Charlotte dwarfs the other two considerably. Your numbers are off because you are not taking into account the fact that Ottawa has amalgamated all of it's surrounding areas into one super-city, while Jacksonville and Charlotte haven't. Saying Charlotte has 800k people and ignoring the rest of the Concord-Gastonia-etc metro area is like saying Ottawa has 480k people and ignoring Nepean, Gatineau, Kanata, Gloucester, etc...

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I don't usually post in the soccer thread (because full admission: I'm hopelessly lost here), but I felt the need to clear this one thing up:

1) Metro Ottawa (Ottawa, Nepean, Gatineau, Goucester, Kanata, Orleans, etc...) is 1.236mil.

2) Metro Charlotte (Charlotte–Concord–Gastonia metro & surrounding area) is 2.335mil

3) Metro Jacksonville (Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Fernandina, Orange Park, Middleburg, etc...) is 1.345mil.

Ottawa is definitely the smallest of the three metro areas, and Charlotte dwarfs the other two considerably. Your numbers are off because you are not taking into account the fact that Ottawa has amalgamated all of it's surrounding areas into one super-city, while Jacksonville and Charlotte haven't. Saying Charlotte has 800k people and ignoring the rest of the Concord-Gastonia-etc metro area is like saying Ottawa has 480k people and ignoring Nepean, Gatineau, Kanata, Gloucester, etc...

The population over Ottawa-Gatineau is 1.3 but if you count in the areas around your around 1.6 now with that said do I think Ottawa would even be in Mls no but at the same time I would be shocked if Canada has any teams in the league with in 10 years.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
I don't care if we play in the MLS or the NASL. I just wanted pro soccer and now I have it.

I also think we'll be better this year. A healthy Patterson should help with the offensive side of the game and then adding JDG on top of that. Paulo Jr 's speed on the wings should help create more chances and Oliver is still young. He could be even better this year.

Anyway, I'm pumped! can't wait for the start of the season.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
The population over Ottawa-Gatineau is 1.3 but if you count in the areas around your around 1.6 now with that said do I think Ottawa would even be in Mls no but at the same time I would be shocked if Canada has any teams in the league with in 10 years.

The Ottawa-Gatineau census metropolitan area (CMA) was 1,236,324 in 2011. Obviously this has grown in the last 3-4 years. From 2006 to 2011 there was a 9% growth in population.

So I would assume we should be close to 1.6 now.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Let's just all agree it's nice to have pro soccer in town. NASL is a perfect fit for OSEG and Ottawa. MLS would be too big and expensive.

With the addition of De Guzman, I don't think Nicki Paterson has a starting spot on this team. With the likes of Patryk Misik, a young MF signed from Poland, and Eustaquio already pushing him, I think JDG's arrival signals the end of his chances of a Starting XI spot.

Opening Day

Paulo Júnior - Andy Wiedeman - Oliver

Julian De Guzman - Richie Ryan - Patryk Misik

Mike Randolph - Mason Trafford - Rafael Alves - Ryan Richter

Romuald Peiser

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Connor who would you have in place if RR is not available for saturday. Ubi?

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Let's just all agree it's nice to have pro soccer in town. NASL is a perfect fit for OSEG and Ottawa. MLS would be too big and expensive.

With the addition of De Guzman, I don't think Nicki Paterson has a starting spot on this team. With the likes of Patryk Misik, a young MF signed from Poland, and Eustaquio already pushing him, I think JDG's arrival signals the end of his chances of a Starting XI spot.

Well Davies and Ryan are hurt and I thought Eustaquio was also. Are you sure Misik is in front of Paterson right now?

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
Trafford over Falvey? Is this just a fitness thing?

Is Misik better than Ubi? Like for real? It seems like he's had a good camp but without any eyeball test hard for me to tell where anyone really is.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Why would you say JDG is not match fit he just played nearly 2 full games for the Canadian National team in 3 days, in very warm weather, he was to arrive in Carolina today, he has 3 days to train and meet his team mates before saturdays game then has a week to recover and train before the next game.
I would assume he has been keeping fit in the off season

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Why would you say JDG is not match fit he just played nearly 2 full games for the Canadian National team in 3 days, in very warm weather, he was to arrive in Carolina today, he has 3 days to train and meet his team mates before saturdays game then has a week to recover and train before the next game.
I would assume he has been keeping fit in the off season

He hasn't been with a club in nearly a year. You can 'keep fit' during an extended offseason, but you can't come close to even slightly recreating the daily grind of a club in-season.

MDS wasn't planning on starting JDG on Saturday, but injuries look like they'll force him to.

As per Falvey v Trafford, we have to remember that Falvey has never played at this level. He played for a while with Charleston, a division lower, and has also played semi-pro in New Zealand and professionally in an expansion league in India.

Falvey's never played at this level. Trafford played every game last year.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Very true Conor, but i would think he should be able to survive if he has to play, We will see on saturday.
And i expect i will see you on the 18th:handclap:

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Very true Conor, but i would think he should be able to survive if he has to play, We will see on saturday.
And i expect i will see you on the 18th:handclap:

Yessir! Looking forward to what should be an exciting year for the club! :yo:

Plenty of new faces (and a new franchise) to check out, so lots to be excited about around the NASL this season!

I've got this team pegged for a slight improvement - fifth or sixth, maybe fourth if they can go on an improbable run at some point this season.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Tonight's Starting XI (4-3-3): GK Peiser D Randolph, Trafford, Alves, Foschini M Misik, Beckie, Paterson F Poltronieri, Heinemann, Haworth

Ttracer*

How would the current team fare in the mls?? Would they be redblacks bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad