Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
This was an absolute massacre. As I expected, Ottawa is no match for Oshawa physically. And they certainly haven’t been able to out skate the Generals with their alleged skating ability that was promised before the series started.

Ottawa’s defense has been atrocious in both games so far. Game 1 was non-stop giveaways, Game 2 was just flat out defensive breakdowns.

I have no idea what Frank Marelli was attempting to do on the Generals 3rd goal. Granted, he had a 4th line hack forward #25 back with him but Marelli inexplicably tried to cross sides and ended up converging on #25 while Buckley walked in and beat MacKenzie with a wrist shot from just inside the blue line. Backbreaking goal and that opened the floodgates.

Beckett Sennecke was magnificent - - his draft stock is going up, up, up with every playoff game, and he’s likely to be taken long before the Leafs pick, just as I feared would happen. Ottawa has nobody who can come close to handling Sennecke’s size/speed/skill. At this point, if he’s not a top 15 pick, I’d have to seriously question why those teams are wasting money paying their scouting staffs.

About the only disappointment tonight from the Oshawa perspective was the meagre crowd of less than 5,600. I couldn’t even give away a free ticket to this game after posting it here.
Shocking you got kicked of your thread...

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I think this series is going as most thought it would.
Ottawa cannot outskate Oshawa they are in big trouble. -That was basically their only hope and the goaltending isn't good enough to compete with Oster.
Barrie was able to hold in there with Oshawa solely based on their goaltending and be willing to match oshawa's psychical play.
I do think OMGs assessment of Jelsma being the reason they did so well was incorrect and that Ottawa had 3-4 of him.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I think this series is going as most thought it would.
Ottawa cannot outskate Oshawa they are in big trouble. -That was basically their only hope and the goaltending isn't good enough to compete with Oster.
Barrie was able to hold in there with Oshawa solely based on their goaltending and be willing to match oshawa's psychical play.
I do think OMGs assessment of Jelsma being the reason they did so well was incorrect and that Ottawa had 3-4 of him.
Goaltending is not good because I think Mackenzie never fully recovered from his 1st injury this season. You can see he wants to move laterally on some shots but the lack of mobility is just not letting him adjust. He was very good last year but this season the injuries have really caught up to him. Unfortunate.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I guess if the team is going to lose it might as well be 6-1 versus a 1 goal game. There is no doubting that something in the approach has to be changed up. Not sure what it is going to take to get Gardiner on to the top 2 lines, but <8 mins a game on the 4th line on this roster strikes me as something more personal. Its been that way since the deadline.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The lines are fine but I'd play Yanni over the clearly injured Gardiner.

The Kressler line is the one mostly out there against the opponent's toplines and they're doing a pretty good job. Most of their minus comes from them not capitalizing on their own chances and individual mistakes like the Kressler giveaway last game. You can't try to beat players in the defensive zone. In your own zone you have to make the safe play. Pass the puck or retreat. These are individual mistakes though, has nothing to do with the line. Offensively, they created a lot, just didn't score. Foster hasn't been efficient enough and the same goes for Körbler. I don't recall Kressler wasting lots of chances but he does have 26 SOG's. Only Mayer and Pinelli have more. Also don't forget they were robbed a goal by the refs. That Foster goal in the Hamilton series should have counted.

I kinda like the line. Three rather responsible forwards you can (usually) trust to not make silly mistakes and play well against the puck. That trio taking on top competition also gives easier matchup's to the rest of the team. I think that's the plan. That plan surely worked in the Hamilton series when the Dever line scored lots of goals.

I don't think they have to change much. Just play the full 60' and don't do any stupid things. The Barlas goal was lucky but were the better team last night at the start. Then the long review and the Kressler giveaway killed the momentum they had. And the 4vs3 PP a few moments later really gave Oshawa the momentum I felt. Then Ottawa kinda cracked but sometimes it's the little things, especially on the road. Let's see how they do at home.

If you think one goal over four games from the top line is “fine,” I think you lose a lot of credibility. You are searching for excuses for ineffective production. That line “IS” the reason why we have not won in this series. It is also the reason why, without a monster series from Dever/Horner, we would have lost the last series. Foster/Kressler is the two man line combo. They need to move Korbler off that line and put another piece in there. It is not like Korbler has a track record of elite first line success. His points mostly come agaisnt non-playoff teams. Between playoffs and regular season, he has EIGHT TOTAL POINTS vs the 16 teams that made the playoffs.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
The option was to yank him after the 4th or 5th goal to give him a rest. IF DC isn’t willing to do that then they aren’t starting Michelone.

DC hasn’t touched the lines with the exception of injuries etc. You have Barlas out there wasting away on the 4th line. He has some jam. If Gardiner is injured then he shouldn’t play. If he isn’t injured, wasting him on the 4th line is plain silliness.

Kressler is -5 with one goal in the last four playoff games. Foster a -6 with 2 assists over the same stretch. Korbler is a -6 with one assist over his five playoff games. WTF is that line still doing together? It is insanity. Barlas has two goals and is a +1 over those four games. Time to mix things up FFS. I swear to GAWD if DC rolls out the same lines and D-Pairings, I will lose my shit.

Mayich will return Tuesday for game 3 so that will help. The defense looks over-worked, out-matched and frustrated, and Smyth is (again) playing way too much at important times. They have been essentially playing as a 5-man unit against a really tough opponent.

I'm interested to see the team's response on Tuesday night, in terms of effort and Cameron's gameplan. The 67s will have last change so Cameron will be able to get his preferred unit out against Roobroeck/Ritchie/Sennecke. I suspect that will be the Mayich/Marrelli pairing, and likely the Kressler line. It wouldn't hurt to try something different of course. You mentioned Barlas and there is no reason to think he can't provide more jam on that 1st line than Korbler.

I've long thought that Korber is out of his depth in the top-6 and would be more useful in a 4th line role at this point.

Then again, Oshawa can split up that top line and the 67s wouldn't necessarily have a good answer to that.

I presume Gardiner is nursing some sort of injury and that is why he is not playing much.

Overall though, I think these are fairly minor points and this series is essentially over. I thought going in that the 67s would have a really difficult time and that what the 67s were able to do well against Brantford wouldn't hold against a better Oshawa team. MacKenzie will need to suddenly provide A+ goaltending for the 67s to win a game, let alone the series, and I think that's a lot to ask for a goaltender that has had the year he has had with injuries.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Goaltending is not good because I think Mackenzie never fully recovered from his 1st injury this season. You can see he wants to move laterally on some shots but the lack of mobility is just not letting him adjust. He was very good last year but this season the injuries have really caught up to him. Unfortunate.
That should have been assessed prior to lineup shuffle at the deadline, this particular issue goes back to his first season in Ottawa where inured and missed a large chunk of time.
If you think one goal over four games from the top line is “fine,” I think you lose a lot of credibility. You are searching for excuses for ineffective production. That line “IS” the reason why we have not won in this series. It is also the reason why, without a monster series from Dever/Horner, we would have lost the last series. Foster/Kressler is the two man line combo. They need to move Korbler off that line and put another piece in there. It is not like Korbler has a track record of elite first line success. His points mostly come agaisnt non-playoff teams. Between playoffs and regular season, he has EIGHT TOTAL POINTS vs the 16 teams that made the playoffs.
There is a 50 pt 4th liner who happens to be a right shot who could be used.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mayich will return Tuesday for game 3 so that will help. The defense looks over-worked, out-matched and frustrated, and Smyth is (again) playing way too much at important times. They have been essentially playing as a 5-man unit against a really tough opponent.

I'm interested to see the team's response on Tuesday night, in terms of effort and Cameron's gameplan. The 67s will have last change so Cameron will be able to get his preferred unit out against Roobroeck/Ritchie/Sennecke. I suspect that will be the Mayich/Marrelli pairing, and likely the Kressler line. It wouldn't hurt to try something different of course. You mentioned Barlas and there is no reason to think he can't provide more jam on that 1st line than Korbler.

I've long thought that Korber is out of his depth in the top-6 and would be more useful in a 4th line role at this point.

Then again, Oshawa can split up that top line and the 67s wouldn't necessarily have a good answer to that.

I presume Gardiner is nursing some sort of injury and that is why he is not playing much.

Overall though, I think these are fairly minor points and this series is essentially over. I thought going in that the 67s would have a really difficult time and that what the 67s were able to do well against Brantford wouldn't hold against a better Oshawa team. MacKenzie will need to suddenly provide A+ goaltending for the 67s to win a game, let alone the series, and I think that's a lot to ask for a goaltender that has had the year he has had with injuries.

I think we need to wait to see what happens on Tuesday night. Game one was close. Pinelli was 3” away from tying it up late. Game two got away from us. It happens. We see it happen in every series from most every team. There almost always is a game that gets away from you.

The 67’s head back home. A win on Tuesday and perspectives change. HOWEVER, if DC rolls out the same lineup with no changes and doesn’t change the game plan sufficiently and we lose….

Reactions: PuckStop75

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Something definitely happened with Gardiner in Game 1 for this severe of a icetime reduction.
I don 't have the breakdown for Game 2 against Oshawa yet once its on the portal i will post it.
1713187880613.png

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

You're missing the point. They're using this line to shut down top competition. It also allows Cameron to spread the wealth, have three scoring lines. The Dever line scoring those points vs Hamilton is a result of that. Again, the reasons why the Kressler line is a minus line are:

1.) Competition
2.) Lack of finish
2.) Individual mistakes

None of the individual mistakes have come from Körbler though. Apart from those individual mistakes the line does work. They have the puck a lot, they do create chances and they don't bleed a lot of chances.

I like the lines as they are. Cameron has a plan. You questioned Cameron before and were proven wrong. Let's see how they do at home.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I think we need to wait to see what happens on Tuesday night. Game one was close. Pinelli was 3” away from tying it up late. Game two got away from us. It happens. We see it happen in every series from most every team. There almost always is a game that gets away from you.

The 67’s head back home. A win on Tuesday and perspectives change. HOWEVER, if DC rolls out the same lineup with no changes and doesn’t change the game plan sufficiently and we lose….

I think the issues in this series for Ottawa go far beyond lineup changes or revising the gameplan though. They're simply overmatched. I don't think moving Gardiner (or Barlas, or whoever) up to Kressler's line to replace Korbler is really going to move the needle. What will move the needle is significantly better play in the d-zone (including the forwards) and better goaltending. The first is achievable, particularly with Mayich back (and presumably less ice time for Smyth and Sirman) and hopefully better buy-in from the forwards, but MacKenzie doesn't appear to be anywhere near 100% and will be unable to win the goaltending battle vs. Oster.

Whenever Ottawa seems to be generating momentum, Oshawa has been able to respond quickly and decisively. They're a really good team.

The 67s seem to have caught Brantford at the right time and executed their gameplan almost perfectly. Coming into this series I had serious doubts that Ottawa could replicate that gameplan as Oshawa's goaltending is better, they have significantly more skill up front, and they're defense is much stronger at moving the puck effectively in transition. I didn't think Ottawa's speed game would work as well against Oshawa. That seems to be bearing out at the moment.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You're missing the point. They're using this line to shut down top competition. It also allows Cameron to spread the wealth, have three scoring lines. The Dever line scoring those points vs Hamilton is a result of that. Again, the reasons why the Kressler line is a minus line are:

1.) Competition
2.) Lack of finish
2.) Individual mistakes

None of the individual mistakes have come from Körbler though. Apart from those individual mistakes the line does work. They have the puck a lot, they do create chances and they don't bleed a lot of chances.

I like the lines as they are. Cameron has a plan. You questioned Cameron before and were proven wrong. Let's see how they do at home.

One question. How is it working out for them?

It still doesn’t address the elephant in the room. Korbler has proven incapable of scoring against the top teams. This has been a trend the entire season. If we look at the teams that finished ahead of Ottawa in the standings, Korbler has THREE TOTAL POINTS on the entire season. I mean, I don’t know how much more I need to say. Elevating a 17 year old kid in the playoffs to the top line with three points against the 9 teams ahead of Ottawa in the standings is putrid.

I understand what you are trying to say but at the same time we have guys that have a demonstrated record of performance playing on the 4th line. It is almost insane to not switch it up at this point.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the issues in this series for Ottawa go far beyond lineup changes or revising the gameplan though. They're simply overmatched. I don't think moving Gardiner (or Barlas, or whoever) up to Kressler's line to replace Korbler is really going to move the needle. What will move the needle is significantly better play in the d-zone (including the forwards) and better goaltending. The first is achievable, particularly with Mayich back (and presumably less ice time for Smyth and Sirman) and hopefully better buy-in from the forwards, but MacKenzie doesn't appear to be anywhere near 100% and will be unable to win the goaltending battle vs. Oster.

Whenever Ottawa seems to be generating momentum, Oshawa has been able to respond quickly and decisively. They're a really good team.

The 67s seem to have caught Brantford at the right time and executed their gameplan almost perfectly. Coming into this series I had serious doubts that Ottawa could replicate that gameplan as Oshawa's goaltending is better, they have significantly more skill up front, and they're defense is much stronger at moving the puck effectively in transition. I didn't think Ottawa's speed game would work as well against Oshawa. That seems to be bearing out at the moment.

I get what you are saying but we need to see the team at home first before I can throw in the towel. You re likely correct but if Mayich returns and he is able to make a difference against the Generals top line, the tide could turn enough to make it close. We’ve seen it before where they seem outmatched and then all of a sudden a spark happens somewhere and the momentum changes.

Mack seems injured enough to make him lose his angles. He isn’t comfortable. In the end, he always needed to be our MVP as part of any playoff plan.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I get what you are saying but we need to see the team at home first before I can throw in the towel. You re likely correct but if Mayich returns and he is able to make a difference against the Generals top line, the tide could turn enough to make it close. We’ve seen it before where they seem outmatched and then all of a sudden a spark happens somewhere and the momentum changes.

Mack seems injured enough to make him lose his angles. He isn’t comfortable. In the end, he always needed to be our MVP as part of any playoff plan.

Fair enough. As they say, a team isn't out of it until they lose on home ice. I suspect Mayich will make a noticeable difference, raise Marrelli's level of play back to his usual high standard, and have the added benefit of fewer minutes for Smyth.

I do think game 3 will be closer as Oshawa will have a more difficult time offensively. I suspect Cameron will take advantage of having last change and be better able to get the players he wants on the ice when he wants them. I expect a bounce-back game for MacKenzie. My overriding concern is where the goals will come from.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
One question. How is it working out for them?

It still doesn’t address the elephant in the room. Korbler has proven incapable of scoring against the top teams. This has been a trend the entire season. If we look at the teams that finished ahead of Ottawa in the standings, Korbler has THREE TOTAL POINTS on the entire season. I mean, I don’t know how much more I need to say. Elevating a 17 year old kid in the playoffs to the top line with three points against the 9 teams ahead of Ottawa in the standings is putrid.

I understand what you are trying to say but at the same time we have guys that have a demonstrated record of performance playing on the 4th line. It is almost insane to not switch it up at this point.

I understand your point but at the same time these are the lines that turned around the Brantford (I keep wanna write Hamilton) series. Those line combinations clearly worked. You keep on calling out Körbler but the team clearly improved when he entered the lineup. Don't think it's necessarily because he'd be this good but he's definitely a good fit for a shutdown line. His returned balanced the lines and injected energy. He's young but very solid and responsible already. Not necessarily creating a lot of offense but he does have skill as well. He's not an offensive blackhole. He didn't score a goal but had quite a few chances in both series. Also, the Kressler goal in game 1 was all Körbler.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I understand your point but at the same time these are the lines that turned around the Brantford (I keep wanna write Hamilton) series. Those line combinations clearly worked. You keep on calling out Körbler but the team clearly improved when he entered the lineup. Don't think it's necessarily because he'd be this good but he's definitely a good fit for a shutdown line. His returned balanced the lines and injected energy. He's young but very responsible already. Not necessarily creating a lot of offense but he does have skill as well. He's not an offensive blackhole. He didn't score a goal but had quite a few chances in both series. Also, the Kressler goal in game 1 was all Körbler.

You can’t use Kressler’s line as a pure shutdown line. It needs to remain offensively productive. Korbler isn’t that guy. It is ok that he isn’t that guy. He can play a 4th line role agaisnt other 4th lines. He can play relatively well in a PK situation. But, get someone with more experience to play on the top line. It is not like Korbler is a pile of garbage but there are other players on the 4th line that have higher levels of demonstrated experience and performance getting 7 minutes per game.

Personally, I feel Pinelli and Maillet are better suited to compete against the Gens top line. Then it is a matter of whether to move Horner onto that line and Gerrior to the Kressler line with Barlas to the Dever/Stonehouse line. Stonehouse is a left shot but plays well off the right side.

Maybe it is a road lineup with the intention of having last change in Ottawa allowing a more suitable matchup? Who knows. Again, we shall see whether DC does anything to try to counteract the issues we are seeing now.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You can’t use Kressler’s line as a pure shutdown line. It needs to remain offensively productive. Korbler isn’t that guy. It is ok that he isn’t that guy. He can play a 4th line role agaisnt other 4th lines. He can play relatively well in a PK situation. But, get someone with more experience to play on the top line. It is not like Korbler is a pile of garbage but there are other players on the 4th line that have higher levels of demonstrated experience and performance getting 7 minutes per game.

Personally, I feel Pinelli and Maillet are better suited to compete against the Gens top line. Then it is a matter of whether to move Horner onto that line and Gerrior to the Kressler line with Barlas to the Dever/Stonehouse line. Stonehouse is a left shot but plays well off the right side.

Maybe it is a road lineup with the intention of having last change in Ottawa allowing a more suitable matchup? Who knows. Again, we shall see whether DC does anything to try to counteract the issues we are seeing now.

I'd definitely want Kressler/Foster out against top competition over Maillet/Pinelli. I agree with Cameron on that one. I know Kressler made that one horrible mistake last game that led to a crucial goal against and I called him out for it but overall he has been solid in this role so far. I think the best addition to that duo would probably be Horner but he's been amazing with Dever. Körbler is a pretty good option, too. Playing mistake free so far these playoffs all while chipping in on offense as well. The only knock on him would be that he hasn't scored any goals despite getting high danger chances in almost every game.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'd definitely want Kressler/Foster out against top competition over Maillet/Pinelli. I agree with Cameron on that one. I know Kressler made that one horrible mistake last game that led to a crucial goal against and I called him out for it but overall he has been solid in this role so far. I think the best addition to that duo would probably be Horner but he's been amazing with Dever. Körbler is a pretty good option, too. Playing mistake free so far these playoffs all while chipping in on offense as well. The only knock on him would be that he hasn't scored any goals despite getting high danger chances in almost every game.
If one assist this playoffs is considered “chipping in” on offence, I really don’t know what to say. Korbler isn’t known for any offence pretty much whatsoever outside the doormats of the league.

Shut down lines need to score as much as they are scored on for them to be considered strong shut down lines. They aren’t out there covering Wayne Gretzky. They can’t be a -3 over two games and call it a success, regardless of an unfortunate turnover etc.

I’m not advocating for a massive shakeup in the lines. I have highlighted one specific move that could result in a better outcome. Even if the line itself is doing “OK,” it isn’t enough to translate into a win. Kressler’s line needs to contribute to offence. If that line stays an average of -1 per game, the other three lines need to be a combination of +2 and then hope like hell the Special Teams are at even as well. I don’t think this team can win a playoff series if the Kressler line isn’t consistently a +1 playing against the opposition’s top line. If -1 (or even 0) is the bar that is set for them, it is lights out. Game over. We cannot expect the next two lines to do all the scoring to make up for the -1 on the top line.

Last edited:

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
If one assist this playoffs is considered “chipping in” on offence, I really don’t know what to say. Korbler isn’t known for any offence pretty much whatsoever outside the doormats of the league.

Shut down lines need to score as much as they are scored on for them to be considered strong shut down lines. They aren’t out there covering Wayne Gretzky. They can’t be a -3 over two games and call it a success, regardless of an unfortunate turnover etc.

I’m not advocating for a massive shakeup in the lines. I have highlighted one specific move that could result in a better outcome. Even if the line itself is doing “OK,” it isn’t enough to translate into a win. Kressler’s line needs to contribute to offence. If that line stays an average of -1 per game, the other three lines need to be a combination of +2 and then hope like hell the Special Teams are at even as well. I don’t think this team can win a playoff series if the Kressler line isn’t consistently a +1 playing against the opposition’s top line. If -1 (or even 0) is the bar that is set for them, it is lights out. Game over. We cannot expect the next two lines to do all the scoring to make up for the -1 on the top line.
We all said they were missing a RW & RD when the playoffs started, players have stepped up but a 3rd line player is still a 3rd line player, you can't put them on the top line and expect them to be productive against the better teams in the league. Hard work only gets a team so far in this league, eventually the more physical skilled players take over.

Reactions: OMG67

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Again, the line got one goal taken away from them and they didn't convert on their chances. They also had goals scored against them after individual mistakes. They have played, worked together very well. We'll see if the lines are shaken up. I don't think so and I don't think the line combinations are the problem either. Just need to cut down on those stupid individual plays and have everybody play a full 60'. Home crowd and an additional veteran defenseman should help as well.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Again, the line got one goal taken away from them and they didn't convert on their chances. They also had goals scored against them after individual mistakes. They have played, worked together very well. We'll see if the lines are shaken up. I don't think so and I don't think the line combinations are the problem either. Just need to cut down on those stupid individual plays and have everybody play a full 60'. Home crowd and an additional veteran defenseman should help as well.

Everything you say is possible. The only thing I have going for me is the stats. Kressler had 3 goals and was a +4 without Korbler on his wing. Korbler steps back into the lineup in Game 4 of the Brantford series and since then Kressler has scored one goal and is a -5 (three of those games vs Brantford). Something was working on that line when Korbler was out injured. I don’t see Korbler as the glue on that line. We have an 18 year old 1st round OHL pick on the 4th line. He isn’t big but he shows tenacity and jam. Unfortunately, it looks like Gardiner is injured (shouldn’t be playing if his role is marginal 4th line minutes). Even Chris Kelly has some size and can be a bit physical along the boards.

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
... Home crowd and an additional veteran defenseman should help as well
It's going to be sunny tomorrow. Perhaps a rain dance can be celebrated outside the arena as people walk in off Bank Street. Anything at this point as Oshawa is clearly on the driver's seat.

That crowd better bring it tomorrow. I already feel that the series is over TBH but perhaps with Mayich back maybe the 67's need to recall Zenon Konoptka for one of his famous pep talks lmao

Reactions: sirius67fan

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
We have maybe six players, and they are probably getting very tired, if not battle-weary, at this stage. We get Mayich back, but I think the smart thing to do is inject some youth into the team. Put together a line of Yanni Whitehead and Korbler or Kelly . Give them the minutes and tell them what you want them to do. Mix things up, p!ss off the other team.

Put Gardner in the stands if he is injured. It makes no sense to have him sitting on the bench when you have Yanni and Whitehead.
This I can get behind. We have young players who need playoff game experience and the older players aren't getting it done.

Reactions: beastintheeast

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
My Game 3 lines would look like this

Pinelli-/Kressler-/Stonehouse
Foster-/Dever-/Gerrior
Gardiner-/Malliet-/Korbler
Kelly-/Barlas-/Horner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events