Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadder

Oct 15, 2023
Holy F! Get on with it. Make a rule - 2 min review max, then the on-ice call stands. Christ!

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Pretty bad giveaway by Kressler. Can't do stuff like that in the defensive zone.

ottawarenegader613

May 27, 2016
Lol. Even the Oshawa announcers started calling out the refs for their bs calls vs the 67s.
Tearing the page out of Kenny's playbook. The way that the 67s are playing against the Gens, it wouldn't surprise me if they get swept in this series.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Tearing the page out of Kenny's playbook. The way that the 67s are playing against the Gens, it wouldn't surprise me if they get swept in this series.

We first need to see how they respond at home. The Gens have mostly controlled the play but the 67’s haven’t’ managed to get any puck luck so that doesn’t help.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022

Would love to be proven wrong but the 67s have been completely outmatched since the 2nd period of game 1.

Don’t think it’s a matter of effort per se (though tightening up defensively would help), but rather Oshawa just being a better team.

ottawarenegader613

May 27, 2016
Would love to be proven wrong but the 67s have been completely outmatched since the 2nd period of game 1.

Don’t think it’s a matter of effort per se (though tightening up defensively would help), but rather Oshawa just being a better team.
Hard to believe that the 67s dominated the Gens this season, but the playoffs are a much different animal than the regular season. You could see why the Gens are the top team in the Eastern Conference.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Brutal effort tonight. The Generals were quite simply the better team. They were more physical, skated and shot more effectively, and got much better goal-tending.

Ottawa was the better team early, scored the first goal and then the game stopped for 12 or 15 minutes while the OHL Brain Trust tried to figure out if the goal that they signalled was, in fact, a goal. Momentum died there, if it ever really mattered.

After that, the Generals took over. Rolofs scored his first goal in 15 playoff games, with MacKenzie lying on his face in the crease. Ottawa hit the post, Generals made three tape-to-tape passes and scored their second goal. Mackenzie then gave up 3 goals on clean, unobstructed shots from the wing.

If MacKenzie isn't hurt, he's giving a great impression of an injured goalie. That's no excuse for the pitiful play of the rest of the team. Barlas takes a dumbass penalty on a faceoff. I'm not sure how many cross-checks are allowed, but three is clearly too many.

My complaint about reviews stands. 12 or 15 minutes to review a goal kills any momentum. The kicked in goal at the end was so laughably obvious that they could have reviewed it on an Etch-A-Sketch.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
The most glaring thing I've noticed so far as an Oshawa fan is how unnoticeable Stonehouse has been these first 2 games. Guy is known to be able to get under other teams skins and cause them to make mistakes, let alone be effective on the scoreboard but he just seems invisible out there so far.

Mews seemed like the hardest working 67 tonight, though the whole team looked flat.

Reactions: Whatanathol

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
If MacKenzie isn't hurt, he's giving a great impression of an injured goalie. That's no excuse for the pitiful play of the rest of the team. Barlas takes a dumbass penalty on a faceoff. I'm not sure how many cross-checks are allowed, but three is clearly too many.

Mackenzie was terrible tonight and I could see this coming during warmups when he was making a complete jackass of himself. Trying to body check a teammate into the bench and then literally attempting to lift him over to of the boards. Then the two of them started wrestling each other on the ice right in from of the bench.

Maybe this is how he “gets loose” before games, but I couldn’t believe what I was seeing from a goalie being such a clown instead of focusing and getting locked in mentally.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
This was an absolute massacre. As I expected, Ottawa is no match for Oshawa physically. And they certainly haven’t been able to out skate the Generals with their alleged skating ability that was promised before the series started.

Ottawa’s defense has been atrocious in both games so far. Game 1 was non-stop giveaways, Game 2 was just flat out defensive breakdowns.

I have no idea what Frank Marelli was attempting to do on the Generals 3rd goal. Granted, he had a 4th line hack forward #25 back with him but Marelli inexplicably tried to cross sides and ended up converging on #25 while Buckley walked in and beat MacKenzie with a wrist shot from just inside the blue line. Backbreaking goal and that opened the floodgates.

Beckett Sennecke was magnificent - - his draft stock is going up, up, up with every playoff game, and he’s likely to be taken long before the Leafs pick, just as I feared would happen. Ottawa has nobody who can come close to handling Sennecke’s size/speed/skill. At this point, if he’s not a top 15 pick, I’d have to seriously question why those teams are wasting money paying their scouting staffs.

About the only disappointment tonight from the Oshawa perspective was the meagre crowd of less than 5,600. I couldn’t even give away a free ticket to this game after posting it here.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
We have maybe six players, and they are probably getting very tired, if not battle-weary, at this stage. We get Mayich back, but I think the smart thing to do is inject some youth into the team. Put together a line of Yanni Whitehead and Korbler or Kelly . Give them the minutes and tell them what you want them to do. Mix things up, p!ss off the other team.

Put Gardner in the stands if he is injured. It makes no sense to have him sitting on the bench when you have Yanni and Whitehead.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I strongly suspect that Mackenzie is battling an injury right now. Let's see if they come back with Michelone for game three - there's just no sense rolling an injured goalie out there against a good club, because they are just going to embarrass you like they did tonight...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I strongly suspect that Mackenzie is battling an injury right now. Let's see if they come back with Michelone for game three - there's just no sense rolling an injured goalie out there against a good club, because they are just going to embarrass you like they did tonight...

The option was to yank him after the 4th or 5th goal to give him a rest. IF DC isn’t willing to do that then they aren’t starting Michelone.

DC hasn’t touched the lines with the exception of injuries etc. You have Barlas out there wasting away on the 4th line. He has some jam. If Gardiner is injured then he shouldn’t play. If he isn’t injured, wasting him on the 4th line is plain silliness.

Kressler is -5 with one goal in the last four playoff games. Foster a -6 with 2 assists over the same stretch. Korbler is a -6 with one assist over his five playoff games. WTF is that line still doing together? It is insanity. Barlas has two goals and is a +1 over those four games. Time to mix things up FFS. I swear to GAWD if DC rolls out the same lines and D-Pairings, I will lose my shit.

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
Missed the game tonight and really kind of glad I did. Mackenzie clearly injured based his lack of mobility and on the replays has honestly looked brutal. I thought I was watching the Sens piss poor tandem likr we've seen this past season lol.

Not much to rewind and watch TBH. Oshawa the better team and clearly on their way to finally beating us in a playoff series again. But we're still way up on them something like 11-4 in playoff rivalries. Good luck in the next round though Oshawa. The 67's have mailed it in lol Fore......

Reactions: Whatanathol

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The option was to yank him after the 4th or 5th goal to give him a rest. IF DC isn’t willing to do that then they aren’t starting Michelone.

DC hasn’t touched the lines with the exception of injuries etc. You have Barlas out there wasting away on the 4th line. He has some jam. If Gardiner is injured then he shouldn’t play. If he isn’t injured, wasting him on the 4th line is plain silliness.

Kressler is -5 with one goal in the last four playoff games. Foster a -6 with 2 assists over the same stretch. Korbler is a -6 with one assist over his five playoff games. WTF is that line still doing together? It is insanity. Barlas has two goals and is a +1 over those four games. Time to mix things up FFS. I swear to GAWD if DC rolls out the same lines and D-Pairings, I will lose my shit.

The lines are fine but I'd play Yanni over the clearly injured Gardiner.

The Kressler line is the one mostly out there against the opponent's toplines and they're doing a pretty good job. Most of their minus comes from them not capitalizing on their own chances and individual mistakes like the Kressler giveaway last game. You can't try to beat players in the defensive zone. In your own zone you have to make the safe play. Pass the puck or retreat. These are individual mistakes though, has nothing to do with the line. Offensively, they created a lot, just didn't score. Foster hasn't been efficient enough and the same goes for Körbler. I don't recall Kressler wasting lots of chances but he does have 26 SOG's. Only Mayer and Pinelli have more. Also don't forget they were robbed a goal by the refs. That Foster goal in the Hamilton series should have counted.

I kinda like the line. Three rather responsible forwards you can (usually) trust to not make silly mistakes and play well against the puck. That trio taking on top competition also gives easier matchup's to the rest of the team. I think that's the plan. That plan surely worked in the Hamilton series when the Dever line scored lots of goals.

I don't think they have to change much. Just play the full 60' and don't do any stupid things. The Barlas goal was lucky but were the better team last night at the start. Then the long review and the Kressler giveaway killed the momentum they had. And the 4vs3 PP a few moments later really gave Oshawa the momentum I felt. Then Ottawa kinda cracked but sometimes it's the little things, especially on the road. Let's see how they do at home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad