Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
There were some great rivalries in the old Leyden Division in the 1980s and early 1990s. Peterborough’s main rivalry was with Oshawa. It was really strong when Dick Todd coached the Petes and Paul Theriault coached the Generals. There were were many fights in their games including several bench clearing brawls between the two. I use go to the Petes games in Oshawa in the late 1980s and early 1990s and would get into many verbal exchanges with the Generals fans. The Petes also had rivalries with Belleville and Cornwall. The Cornwall fans were an experience. There was a respectful rivalry between Ottawa and Peterborough but is was always civilized. The most interesting part of that rivalry was the Peterborough connection on the 67s. Ottawa goaltender Scott Cumming was from Peterborough and in 1986-1987 season two former Petes John Hanna and Brent Battiselli played for the 67s. All got a rough ride in Peterborough. I always enjoyed watching games in Ottawa and got along well with the fans. The rivalry with Kingston was not as strong until Peterborough businessman, Lou Kazowski bought the team and he made some less than kind remarks about the Petes. There had been a rivalry with the Toronto Marlies but it was not a strong in the late 1980s
Oshawa fans were quite "chatty" back in the day. lol. Theriault and Killer has way too many verbal altercations to count. Real Eddie Shore type hockey back then. Some dude wanted to fight my buddy in 88 during game 6 in Oshawa (I guess they felt they had to bring it to the stands as well) and it was tense in the Old Aud. Thankfully we won and forced a game 7. I remember we were all riding Jeff Hackett and the Gens caved in falling 5-0 and that was that. lol.

As for the Petes I remember you sweeping us in 88 after we came back and beat the Generals and the Petes trapped us to death that series. Todd shut down our highly explosive offence. Boring hockey I'm sorry but it worked for you and Peterbough had such a good defence. Then I think you got swept by the Spitfires right after that. lol

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Game 7 in Ottawa was standing room only. My Dad managed to grab tickets in section 20 and all I remember was that there was a disallowed goal and the place went absolutely apeshit. The fans chanted "bullshit" for about 10 minutes while the Lansdowne crewed cleaned up the ice lol. Also Kingston was the first road game I ever saw away from the Civic Centre so it was alway fun to play against them. But they never really stirred my crank Like the hated Generals did back then. We always used to beat them so it was so sweet when Ottawa won lol
The Kingston-Ottawa rivalry was more on the ice than in the stands. kingston was always smart in that they set aside a complete section for Ottawa. Kingston fans could not get a ticket even if there were empty seats.

So you were too young for the Good OLE days When Kingston had Linseman, Mckegney Crombeen and Simurda. That was an interesting time in the late 70's the WHA was forming and talk about egos

That was the start of the rivalry. The rivalry blew up when LInseman got into a fight at the civic center and used his street skills and what our parents taught us about fighting. He kicked the Ottawa player when he was down. Tal about cops.

Reactions: Race Dawg

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Oshawa fans were quite "chatty" back in the day. lol. Theriault and Killer has way too many verbal altercations to count. Real Eddie Shore type hockey back then. Some dude wanted to fight my buddy in 88 during game 6 in Oshawa (I guess they felt they had to bring it to the stands as well) and it was tense in the Old Aud. Thankfully we won and forced a game 7. I remember we were all riding Jeff Hackett and the Gens caved in falling 5-0 and that was that. lol.

As for the Petes I remember you sweeping us in 88 after we came back and beat the Generals and the Petes trapped us to death that series. Todd shut down our highly explosive offence. Boring hockey I'm sorry but it worked for you and Peterbough had such a good defence. Then I think you got swept by the Spitfires right after that. lol
Dick Todd and Paul Theriault did not like each other. Theriault would scream at Dick from the Oshawa bench if he felt the big bad Petes were taking liberties with his Generals. His antics did not phase Dick and he would ignore him. I found it amusing watching Theriault jumping up and down on the bench screaming at our bench.

In regards to the 1988 Petes/67s playoff series During Dick’s time as coach the Petes used a defence first approach. The key to success in part in that era was having a checking line that could shutdown the other teams top lines. In that series the Ingram line was successful in shutting down Cassel’s line and the Hawley and St. Aubin lines could not shutdown the Freer and Ricci lines. I would not say the hockey was boring. Roger Neilson’s style could be boring, Dick’s not as much. That team was a high scoring team. The interesting fact is that Roger Neilson was a special advisor to the team that year and was their eye in the sky during games.

In their first round series against the Wolves the Petes are playing a very similar game as they did in the 1988 playoffs. They played a defense first game and took advantage of Sudbury’s mistakes and lack of discipline.

Last edited:

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Ottawa vs. Peterborough should be a good series. Peterborough looked the best of any of the Eastern conference powers in the 1st round, dispatching Sudbury with relative ease. Ottawa had a little more trouble with Oshawa than they probably would have liked, but when they were "on", the games were blowouts.

From the perspective of this Ottawa fan, I thought we handled Peterborough really well post-trade deadline, going 3-0 including solid back-to-back wins in the last week of the season when Peterborough was still playing meaningful games for playoff positioning. Ottawa has consistently played really well this season against top competition (often overlooking the weaker teams), and I expect them to continue doing so against Peterborough.

I expect a tight, well-played series. Ottawa in 6 is my prediction.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Round 2 schedule for Petes vs 67s
1681229490432.png

Last edited:

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
The Kingston-Ottawa rivalry was more on the ice than in the stands. kingston was always smart in that they set aside a complete section for Ottawa. Kingston fans could not get a ticket even if there were empty seats.

So you were too young for the Good OLE days When Kingston had Linseman, Mckegney Crombeen and Simurda. That was an interesting time in the late 70's the WHA was forming and talk about egos

That was the start of the rivalry. The rivalry blew up when LInseman got into a fight at the civic center and used his street skills and what our parents taught us about fighting. He kicked the Ottawa player when he was down. Tal about cops.
Old enough to remember Bobby Smith going head-to-head against Wayne Gretzky in the OHL Championship! :)
Ottawa vs. Peterborough should be a good series. Peterborough looked the best of any of the Eastern conference powers in the 1st round, dispatching Sudbury with relative ease. Ottawa had a little more trouble with Oshawa than they probably would have liked, but when they were "on", the games were blowouts.

From the perspective of this Ottawa fan, I thought we handled Peterborough really well post-trade deadline, going 3-0 including solid back-to-back wins in the last week of the season when Peterborough was still playing meaningful games for playoff positioning. Ottawa has consistently played really well this season against top competition (often overlooking the weaker teams), and I expect them to continue doing so against Peterborough.

I expect a tight, well-played series. Ottawa in 6 is my prediction.
The Petes won't be easy but the 67's have the horses to get it done. Ottawa has no trouble winning on the road and technically haven't played a "home" game this post-season yet going 4-1. lol

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I see two things as a key. As Beast mentionned goaltending. Simpson is a good goaltender that can steal games. We also have good goaltending. All we need imo is our goalies to match Simpson and we should be fine. The other key imo is will the Petes two very talented top lines be able to be dominant enough to offset our depth as the Petes don't have a third line to match up with us. And we have a wildcard...Minty! My prediction Ottawa in six.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OKAY T IS THAT TIME OF THE YEAR

Only rule is that a player can only win 1 category just to make it interesting

Most Underrated Player Gerrior
Most Improved Player Barlas was not long for this team I will say him
Smartest Player Morrison
Hardest Worker ?
Best Playmaker ?
Most Dangerous Pinelli
Best on Faceoffs Gardner
Best Defensive Forward Sirman yes I know he is a defenseman but he has played a lot of games as a fwd
Best Penalty Killer Tolnai
Best Defenseman Matier
Rookie of the Year Mews

Community involvement ?

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Old enough to remember Bobby Smith going head-to-head against Wayne Gretzky in the OHL Championship! :)

The Petes won't be easy but the 67's have the horses to get it done. Ottawa has no trouble winning on the road and technically haven't played a "home" game this post-season yet going 4-1. lol
In 1978, Smith and Gretzky met in the quarters, after Bobby beat Wayne by 10 points in the scoring race. The series was a 7-point affair, going 8 games with one tie, ended by Jim Fox in OT. Paul Theriault was the Soo coach, replacing Muzz MacPherson in mid-season, cutting Gretzky's ice time, and giving him an on-ice bodyguard, who scored 117 points just by going to the net. The ownership in Ottawa chartered a plane for the road trips (that must have killed them.)

I thought, at the time, that the series wore Ottawa out and they lost to the Petes in another 8 game series. The Petes beat Fincups in 8 games (again), but lost to New West in the Cup, as Ottawa had the year before. I think that was nearly the end for the 8 game best of sevens. The owners loved the extra gates, but it was a long haul.

I remember this year, because the draft age was 20 then, so teams could load up on graduating players and not be concerned with players defecting to the pros. Then came the WHA, the 18 draft, the age division changes, and on and on. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
OKAY T IS THAT TIME OF THE YEAR

Only rule is that a player can only win 1 category just to make it interesting

Most Underrated Player Gerrior
Most Improved Player Barlas was not long for this team I will say him
Smartest Player Morrison
Hardest Worker ?
Best Playmaker ?
Most Dangerous Pinelli
Best on Faceoffs Gardner
Best Defensive Forward Sirman yes I know he is a defenseman but he has played a lot of games as a fwd
Best Penalty Killer Tolnai
Best Defenseman Matier
Rookie of the Year Mews

Community involvement ?

Most underrated: Brad Gardiner
Most improved: Brady Stonehouse
Smartest player: Logan Morrison
Hardest worker: Will Gerrior
Best playmaker: Luca Pinelli
Most dangerous: Tyler Boucher
Best on faceoffs: Cam Tolnai
Best defensive forward: Vinz Rohrer
Best penalty killer: Matt Mayich
Best defenseman: Jack Matier
Rookie of the year: Henry Mews

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
Most underrated: Will Gerrior
Most improved: Cooper Foster
Smartest player: Anthony Constantini
Hardest worker: Vinzenz Rohrer
Best playmaker: Jack Beck
Most dangerous: Logan Morisson
Best on faceoffs: Cam Tolnai
Best defensive forward: Brady Stonehouse
Best penalty killer: Matt Mayich
Best defenseman: Jack Matier / Pavel Mintyukov
Rookie of the year: Henry Mews

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Dave Cameron will need to do a little more coaching, bench management and line matching against Peterborough. Home ice advantage helps.

On home ice, there is absolutely no reason why the Mews/Marrelli pairing should be on the ice against anyone other than Peterborough's 3rd or 4th lines. This is not the time, and Peterborough is not the opponent, for the 16-year olds to get their playoff reps in. They've been really good down the stretch and Marrelli (in particular) has improved significantly from earlier in the season, but imo either Matier or Mintyukov should be on the ice for 45-50 minutes per game, matched up hard against Peterborough's top-6.

Up front, none of our top-3 lines are liabilities defensively (they're actually quite good defensively), but I would expect to see Tolnai (assuming he's back) taking d-zone faceoffs. The lines have been shuffled a lot over the past few weeks due to Tolnai being out, so it will be interesting to see the line combos when he and Barlas are back. My guess is:

Stonehouse - Morrison - Beck
Pinelli - Rohrer - Gerrior
Foster - Tolnai - Gardiner
Barlas - C - Sirman

The top 2 lines remain consistent with the Oshawa series, Tolnai bumps Gardiner over to RW. The centers can rotate through the 4th line wingers. I would expect Sirman to play over Dever and Kelly, but he needs to be more disciplined in his limited ice time.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
In 1978, Smith and Gretzky met in the quarters, after Bobby beat Wayne by 10 points in the scoring race. The series was a 7-point affair, going 8 games with one tie, ended by Jim Fox in OT. Paul Theriault was the Soo coach, replacing Muzz MacPherson in mid-season, cutting Gretzky's ice time, and giving him an on-ice bodyguard, who scored 117 points just by going to the net. The ownership in Ottawa chartered a plane for the road trips (that must have killed them.)

I thought, at the time, that the series wore Ottawa out and they lost to the Petes in another 8 game series. The Petes beat Fincups in 8 games (again), but lost to New West in the Cup, as Ottawa had the year before. I think that was nearly the end for the 8 game best of sevens. The owners loved the extra gates, but it was a long haul.

I remember this year, because the draft age was 20 then, so teams could load up on graduating players and not be concerned with players defecting to the pros. Then came the WHA, the 18 draft, the age division changes, and on and on. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
Wasn't the Soo in the other Conference at the time? BUT you are correct. I stand corrected. I was 10 in 1978.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

The Petes won't be easy but the 67's have the horses to get it done. Ottawa has no trouble winning on the road and technically haven't played a "home" game this post-season yet going 4-1.
Wasn't the Soo in the other Conference at the time? BUT you are correct. I stand corrected. I was 10 in 1978.
Until the 1981-1982 the Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds played in the Leyden Division. Toronto played in the Emms Division. They realigned the divisions when Belleville and Cornwall entered the league in 1981.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

What was your favourite NHL team before the Sens joined the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad