Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So the deal for Shane Wright looked done, but now might not be. Stay tuned, I guess.

Seeing Logan Morrison putting up three assists in a big win for a first place team in front a full home crowd today was amazing. A year ago, the Canadian Skating Championships were on at TD Place in front of empty stands, and it was a pretty rough time for everyone. I'm happy for the folks at OSEG - there are some good people in that organization, and they deserve this.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Most of us agree our most likely and logical target at this point is Minty. However myself and OMG have also talked about the maybe luxury of adding a middle six winger. My preference would be a right winger with size so our lineup would look like this
Beck/Morrison/acquisition
Pinelli/Rohrer/Boucher
Foster/Tolnai/Stoney
Barlas/Gardiner/Gerrior

Scanning selling teams a few names are Gilmartin, Mccallum, Larmand who might come reasonably priced. Any other logical targets? Thoughts?

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Most of us agree our most likely and logical target at this point is Minty. However myself and OMG have also talked about the maybe luxury of adding a middle six winger. My preference would be a right winger with size so our lineup would look like this
Beck/Morrison/acquisition
Pinelli/Rohrer/Boucher
Foster/Tolnai/Stoney
Barlas/Gardiner/Gerrior

Scanning selling teams a few names are Gilmartin, Mccallum, Larmand who might come reasonably priced. Any other logical targets? Thoughts?
I feel Kelly & Dever have done an ok Job & it’s an opportunity for them to learn and we need them for next season that one 4th line addition is not going to be game changing they will only play 6-7 minutes a game let a young first year kid get an opportunity. Add a good D & be done

Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I feel Kelly & Dever have done an ok Job & it’s an opportunity for them to learn and we need them for next season that one 4th line addition is not going to be game changing they will only play 6-7 minutes a game let a young first year kid get an opportunity. Add a good D & be done

We are willing to sit out young D-Men because of numbers going forward. We should also be willing to sit out young forwards if it makes sense too.

IMO, if we have a Barlas-Gardiner-Gerrior 4th line, that means we can toss it out there anytime we want. When we start getting deeper into series and long OT games ets, having a 4th line that isn’t gassed that can generate offence is an added plus. Additionally, if there are injuries, those player can be pushed up the lineup to fill gaps if/when that happens.

I don’t think it is imperative but at the same time, I think the depth and added flexibility, if it comes at a reasonable cost, makes a big difference over the course of a long playoff run. Just need someone that can play that strong puck pursuit/retrieval game that we are so effective at. It can be a player similar to Gerrior that doesn‘t necessarily add much offence but can chase the puck and dig it out of corners etc. someone to line up with Tolnai and Stonehouse on what would end up being our third line.

Kelly should be playing regularly in Tier II. He needs ice. HE can practice withthe 67’s but get him more ice time. Let him excell in Tier II like Foster and Quinn. Keep Dever around. He’s your first guy in when there is an injury/suspension.

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
We will see a trade of some type tomorrow I assume. Or a decision with Quick/Laforme & like you said maybe Kelly sent to Jr. I do in some type away agree. Dever seems to be the best out of all but could be used as the first man up type of guy that can fill a hole on any line when someone goes down. I look forward to seeing the team 100% healthy. I got my eye set on next Sunday when the Sting come to town that should be a game to watch.

Blasty15

Dec 10, 2022
That game was pure domination by the 67s.. great to see all lines contributing as well.

My takeaways:

1) Beck and Morrison are going to be a lethal duo together once some more chemistry kicks in. Foster kept up on that line but to piggyback off OMG - a reasonably-priced add with a little more experience/spunk would make that one of the top lines throughout the league, easily. You could also try Boucher there and add to the Pinelli-Rohrer-X line instead.

2) Tolnai-Stonehouse-Dever was a strong line although Dever went 'missing' for a bit in the middle half of the game where Gardiner generally filled in those shifts. Would be nice to have another buzzsaw like Gerrior with them for elite speed on the wings and a controlled 200-foot player patrolling the middle. With this as a "third line" I would hate to be the opposing defenders.

3) Donoso practically had the night off thanks to very solid defending and quick, easy breakouts. He still turned away every direct attempt from solid OS players with the only goal coming on a beauty set play backdoor.

4) All this dominance was with the absence of Boucher, Matier and likely a European D whether Mintyukov or Grushnikov.

Man this team is going to be fun watching moving forward.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Kingston X3
Hamilton X3
Sarnia X2
Barrie X2
Kitchener
Owen Sound
London
Mississauga X3
Flint
Saginaw X2
Niagara X2
Gat X2
Peterborough X3
Oshawa X4
Northbay
Windsor

Looking ahead 32 Games left I count 15 of them that should be wins Kingston X3, Hamilton X3, Mississauga X3, Niagara X2, Oshawa X4 I know anything can happen on any given night but looking ahead we have what I would call 17 games that could go either way witch are Sarnia X2, Barrie X2, Gat X2, Saginaw X2, Peterborough X3 & the following once Kitchener, Owen Sound, London, Flint, Northbay & Windsor. Win the 15 games that we should & go .500 in the tough 17 and we will win the East. Best scenario in my opinion is to play Barrie in the semi finals & deal with the Pete’s or NB in the conference finals. I love the trade deadline but once it’s over is there anyone like me that just wants to fast forward to the post season. This team has me excited about

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
The 67s were impressive yesterday, just smothering a pretty good Owen Sound team. Donoso was really good when he had to be, and Morrison looks like he's exactly the right center pickup we needed to make. I agree that a winger with a little more jam might work better with Beck and Morrison than Foster. Maybe that's Gerrior, maybe that's someone we pick up today/tomorrow. Someone to retrieve pucks in the corners, get to the dirty areas, and that can hang with them offensively. I like Foster as a goal scorer, but he doesn't play with as much energy as Barlas, Gardiner, or Gerrior.

Shane Wright will make a team - London or Barrie probably - better, but I'm certainly OK with Boyd removing the 67s from that process. I'd be perfectly happy with Wright going to London in the western conference. Will be interesting to see what (if anything) Barrie does if they end up missing out on Wright. Using our capital to acquire an import defenceman and possibly a top 9 winger should be the priorities, which seems to be the case from the sounds of it (at least the import d-man part).

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I doubt we see anything on the Mintyukov front until the Wright issue is resolved.

I’m not sure if the team that loses out on wright will pivot to Mintyukov but if you are Sagniaw, you have to probably wait that one out until close to the end of the day today before you choose to start talking to the teams interested more closely and urgently.

There is a shortage on Imports this year so there will likely be some competition. Barrie and London each only have one Import and Windsor could easily decide to upgrade on Sobolev. My assumption is whomever doesn’t get Wright between London and Barrie will be out competition on Mintyukov. I don’t think Windsor would have the right type of assets for that deal.

If Barrie were to get Wright, London would mostly be armed with picks for Mintyukov. It is reasonable to assume the reasons why they wouldn’t have gotten Wright is because they weren’t willing to part with a player that moves the needle. IF that is the case for Wright, that is likely the case for Mintyukov.

If London gets Wright, it will be interesting to see what transpires. Barrie has Clarke returned. Including Clarke, they have five 19 year olds on the back end. Beau Akey is a pretty good 17 year old. To me, if Flint decides to sell, the deal would be what was suggested on here, Lombardi and Kuzmin. They need a forward or two more than a D-Man.

All that to say, that our two biggest competitors for Mintyukov may not be as motivated to acquire him based on their current situation. I think if Flint becomes a seller and London gets Wright, I think the path is wide open for Mintyukov and Ottawa. it then comes down to whether Saginaw will take a mostly picks package or choose to keep him and go a couple rounds int he playoffs.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I doubt we see anything on the Mintyukov front until the Wright issue is resolved.

I’m not sure if the team that loses out on wright will pivot to Mintyukov but if you are Sagniaw, you have to probably wait that one out until close to the end of the day today before you choose to start talking to the teams interested more closely and urgently.

There is a shortage on Imports this year so there will likely be some competition. Barrie and London each only have one Import and Windsor could easily decide to upgrade on Sobolev. My assumption is whomever doesn’t get Wright between London and Barrie will be out competition on Mintyukov. I don’t think Windsor would have the right type of assets for that deal.

If Barrie were to get Wright, London would mostly be armed with picks for Mintyukov. It is reasonable to assume the reasons why they wouldn’t have gotten Wright is because they weren’t willing to part with a player that moves the needle. IF that is the case for Wright, that is likely the case for Mintyukov.

If London gets Wright, it will be interesting to see what transpires. Barrie has Clarke returned. Including Clarke, they have five 19 year olds on the back end. Beau Akey is a pretty good 17 year old. To me, if Flint decides to sell, the deal would be what was suggested on here, Lombardi and Kuzmin. They need a forward or two more than a D-Man.

All that to say, that our two biggest competitors for Mintyukov may not be as motivated to acquire him based on their current situation. I think if Flint becomes a seller and London gets Wright, I think the path is wide open for Mintyukov and Ottawa. it then comes down to whether Saginaw will take a mostly picks package or choose to keep him and go a couple rounds int he playoffs.
If Wright is still on the market come noon today, Kingston and their inexperienced GM are in trouble. As far a Mintyukov goes, if they aren't getting a player for him there is no way he stays in the West which means Barrie and Ottawa become the only options.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Wow. Host team says what? Is there a rule that picks have to be potty-trained?

1673281513598.png

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
That game was pure domination by the 67s.. great to see all lines contributing as well.

My takeaways:

1) Beck and Morrison are going to be a lethal duo together once some more chemistry kicks in. Foster kept up on that line but to piggyback off OMG - a reasonably-priced add with a little more experience/spunk would make that one of the top lines throughout the league, easily. You could also try Boucher there and add to the Pinelli-Rohrer-X line instead.

2) Tolnai-Stonehouse-Dever was a strong line although Dever went 'missing' for a bit in the middle half of the game where Gardiner generally filled in those shifts. Would be nice to have another buzzsaw like Gerrior with them for elite speed on the wings and a controlled 200-foot player patrolling the middle. With this as a "third line" I would hate to be the opposing defenders.

3) Donoso practically had the night off thanks to very solid defending and quick, easy breakouts. He still turned away every direct attempt from solid OS players with the only goal coming on a beauty set play backdoor.

4) All this dominance was with the absence of Boucher, Matier and likely a European D whether Mintyukov or Grushnikov.

Man this team is going to be fun watching moving forward.

Also want to add, that it has been amazing to watch the D pairing of Mews and Marrelli, two 16yo rookies, have such significant roles and to be playing at such a high level on the top team in the OHL.

If they both remain on the team, it will be amazing to see for years to come.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
3 trades gone down today so far

DateTeamTransfersToTeamTransfers
Jan 9SARChandler Romeo
SAR 2 2026
GUEBAR 2 2023
HAM 4 2023
Jan 9LDNBen BujoldHAMFLNT 3 2023
HAM 5 2025
Jan 9OSHPatrick Leaver
WSR 5 2026*
GUEJacob Oster

2 more

Jan 9LDNNicholas YearwoodSBYSBY 10 2026
Jan 9OSJulian Fantino
OS 15 2026
SOOLanden Hookey
SOO 15 2026

Last edited:

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
Seriously I think Ottawa got a better center in Morrison then we would have received in Wright. At least we are getting an experienced Playoff center and veteran....and league point leader..well done JB

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
OntarioHockeyLeague

Going 2-0 with a 1.00 goals-against average and .951 save percentage, Max Donoso of @Ottawa67sHockey is the #OHL Goaltender of the Week.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Seriously I think Ottawa got a better center in Morrison then we would have received in Wright. At least we are getting an experienced Playoff center and veteran....and league point leader..well done JB

I’ve been saying that all year. To me, Logan Morrison is a much better fit for Ottawa than Shane Wright. Ottawa lacked experience. Someone that can help guide this team through what lies ahead is integral.

The fact that Morrison is the reigning playoff MVP and also led the Memorial cup tourney last year in scoring speaks loudly. Keep in mind that Morrison did that on last year’s Bulldogs team that had MacT on it. Morrison outscored MacT 39 to 29 points (19 games). He finished two points behind Wyatt Johnston but Hamilton played SIX LESS GAMES! He also led the playoffs in goals with 17.

Morrison is also regarded as a strong defensive player and responsible in his own end. The fans of Hamilton marvel at how much the game slows down when the puck is on his stick.

The negatives are he isn’t a great skater and isn’t physical. The physical issue isnt’ a problem because we aren’t a physical team. The skating shouldnt be an issue because he slows the game down to his pace anyway. All he needs to do is get to the open spots on the ice and his linemates will fit him and vice versa.

Factor is the cost of Logan Morrison vs his 19 year old comparables and it is a steal that we managed to get him for what we did. Granted he is an OA and OA’s are typically cheaper. However, the reality is when you get a player of his calibre, you have to expect to pay the freight and Ottawa did, just not the same as guys like Beck.

I targetted him day one when he officially returned To the OHL for an OA season. He is the right player for Ottawa. Even if we only get Morrison, it will be a big add.

I’d like to see us add Mintyukov but I would have questioned why we bothered to add Mintyukov if we weren’t able to get Morrison or an alternate elite centre. Morrison is so much more important.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well, lads. I am hearing nothing about Mintyukov. It sounds like Saginaw hasn’t made him available. I don’t know that for sure but not one NHL Insider has said anything. With such a big player, if Saginaw was dangling him, you’d think we’d have heard something. With no rumours of him even being on the block, it doesn’t look good.

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Well, lads. I am hearing nothing about Mintyukov. It sounds like Saginaw hasn’t made him available. I don’t know that for sure but not one NHL Insider has said anything. With such a big player, if Saginaw was dangling him, you’d think we’d have heard something. With no rumours of him even being on the block, it doesn’t look good.
listen a little closer ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad