Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Coach says he will stick with his no 1 goalie again on friday . I say would you.

Give Andree a shot, maybe the team can rally behind him. Goaltending has been so so so disappointing this year. Tremblay has a .798 save percentage this series and has benefitted by some posts.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
1 goal against in 32 mins says it all
I would venture to guess you have never played goal before; it is pretty simple going in for spot duty when your team is down by 4. No lose situation....get scored on people say "oh he came cold...blah blah blah" or he goes in with no pressure what so ever and guys like you say "oh he should've started, he's a legit OHL goalie, says it all blah blah blah."
Let him start next game and deal with the pressure; hell if he gets lit up which is very likely, he can sit and stew about it all summer...good development tool.
You wonder why your team and most of the OHL can't develop goalies....fans and coaches alike with stupid attitudes. Hire a full time goalie coach and let him make the decisions.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I would venture to guess you have never played goal before; it is pretty simple going in for spot duty when your team is down by 4. No lose situation....get scored on people say "oh he came cold...blah blah blah" or he goes in with no pressure what so ever and guys like you say "oh he should've started, he's a legit OHL goalie, says it all blah blah blah."
Let him start next game and deal with the pressure; hell if he gets lit up which is very likely, he can sit and stew about it all summer...good development tool.
You wonder why your team and most of the OHL can't develop goalies....fans and coaches alike with stupid attitudes. Hire a full time goalie coach and let him make the decisions.

Agreed regarding the use of the stats to determine viability. One, it is too small a sample size. Two, there is less pressure and teams usually aren’t trying to run up the score.

I would consider starting him though. Tremblay has nothing left to give or prove. HE was a poor acquisition and a perpetual handicap for this team. He did have a good stretch for about a month or so and that got us into the playoffs but other than that, his play has been below average at best. The only reason to start him is out of some sort of loyalty to your OA. I’d agree if he was a 67 but let’s face it, he was a waiver claim through the QMJHL. There should really be no loyalty.

I don’t agree with not starting Andree because if he gets lit up he stews about it all summer. Goalies of any significant value don’t stew about a bad game. It would still be a no pressure situation because he is playing on the road with all the cards stacked against him. No one would expect him to win. Either way, he’d be coming into camp with something to prove.

Your best point BY FAR is regarding a goalie coach. With all the money spent on coaches and management, to suddenly Scrooge out on the goalie coach is silly. It is like an NFL team deciding to not have a Special Teams Coach. I know that not all teams have a full time goalie coach but having someone part time isn’t good enough, especially if you are trying to develop goalies internally. That coach can work with the goalie prospects not on the roster too.

Again, I say start Andree. I don’t think it is as doom and gloom as you say. It gives the kid a chance to prove himself. He’s been a good soldier all season. Reward him with a start and see what he does with it. IF he shits the bed, so be it.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree with starting Andree but against Hamilton, that is a stacked team and it could go south in a hurry. If you can confidently say to the young goalie, go in there have some fun and play to the best of your abilities without him having a melt down, I say do it. But I don't know Andree personally, so I am unsure of his mental makeup.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Only 2000 fans for a playoff game, wow. Is OHL hockey going to last in Ottawa? That's very troubling for the biggest market in the league. I went to a few regular season games last year and there were way more than 2000.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Only 2000 fans for a playoff game, wow. Is OHL hockey going to last in Ottawa? That's very troubling for the biggest market in the league. I went to a few regular season games last year and there were way more than 2000.

The team will remain. The franchise is in the toilet. There is no denying that. Losing the franchise would be a huge black eye for OSEG. They will continue to eat whatever losses arise.

Reactions: Fischhaber

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Can I ask an honest question? Why are playoff tickets more expensive? To me it is a slap in the face, a double dipping money gouging insult.
At the beginning of the year a team can't count playoff revenue in their budget, so if the team gets in it is like bonus cash. However they double gouge you by upping the prices. It just doesn't make sense other than pure greed.

Reactions: rangersblues

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Can I ask an honest question? Why are playoff tickets more expensive? To me it is a slap in the face, a double dipping money gouging insult.
At the beginning of the year a team can't count playoff revenue in their budget, so if the team gets in it is like bonus cash. However they double gouge you by upping the prices. It just doesn't make sense other than pure greed.

Are you talking about Ottawa or the league in general?

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
They raise ticket prices across the ohl for playoffs. Season ticket holders in ottawa dont pay the increase.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Before I begin, let me say Tremblay was outstanding in game 2, spectacular even. In game 1 he was above average. In games 3 and 4 he was simply awful. Perhaps it's fatigue or maybe he's just not that good. No doubt Hamilton is a far superior team but no team has a chance when soft goals suck the life out of you like that.

I agree with many, Andree should start game 5. The only sensible reason not to is that could make Wednesday night's yanking Tremblay's last junior game. Tourigny may, as other's point out, start Tremblay out of a sense of loyalty. Where was that loyalty (67's, not Tourigny) when Lasarev showed up unexpectedly in August and when Lafreniere stumbled earlier in the season? They knew Andree was an apprentice and they put all their eggs in the Tremblay basket and that strategy failed.

Bottom line is this team needs a #1 next season. Not sure if that'll come in the form of a trade or if the CHL lifts the import restrictions on goalies. In any case, Tremblay is dust, hand Andree the reins and see what happens.

Hockey5

Jan 10, 2017
The team needs a coach, it was coaching that lost this for the team. Penalty kill isn't great, PP isn't either. Second line that with the amount of ice they are getting should be producing. Change things up, start with the goalie!

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Are you talking about Ottawa or the league in general?
No I am talking league in general, actually all sports. I don't believe it costs anymore to host playoff game, expenses are the same yet ticket prices go up. I have been to a number of playoff games in different cities this year and there is a consensus that people don't want to pay the extra few dollars for the playoff games.
Not sure if that changes if the teams advance to later rounds.

Reactions: rangersblues

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
No I am talking league in general, actually all sports. I don't believe it costs anymore to host playoff game, expenses are the same yet ticket prices go up. I have been to a number of playoff games in different cities this year and there is a consensus that people don't want to pay the extra few dollars for the playoff games.
Not sure if that changes if the teams advance to later rounds.

Most Junior teams budget for at least three playoff games in their forecast. So many teams in the OHL make the playoffs that it does make sense for them to do so.

I remember hearing there are many NHL teams that forecast playoff revenue as well. I guess it depends moreso on the viability of a playoff berth pre-season.

I have always thought that round one games should match regular season ticket prices. In Ottawa, season ticket holders do get regular season ticket prices; however, it is still a huge increase because the season tickets prices are heavily discounted so if we are being honest, the season ticket holders pay BY FAR the biggest playoff price increase compared to their average ticket price in the regular season.

I am not sure if the Generals still do this but they used to include Round One games in their season ticket packages. IF they didn’t make the playoffs, oh well.

I agree that ticket prices should rise in round 2 through the final BUT my issue is the regular season ticket prices are already really high. I am going to the Sens Game tonight and have two tickets and parking for $60 (promotional price). I believe after I pay the ticket surcharges for 67’s tickets (and underground parking), it would have cost me more to go to last nights 67’s game. That is saying something.

In the end, it all comes down to supply and demand. Unfortunately for the 67’s organization, their tickets are not in demand...AT ALL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The team needs a coach, it was coaching that lost this for the team. Penalty kill isn't great, PP isn't either. Second line that with the amount of ice they are getting should be producing. Change things up, start with the goalie!

I can’t disagree with that logic. I hate square pegging a round hole. And I agree that is what has happened here.

1> The obsession with Tremblay was brutal
2> As I mentioned in an earlier post, I like each of the three players individually on the 2nd line BUT they don’t work well together. There needed to be some sort of change and there never was. I believe Keating had a wasted year because he never had anyone that he clicked with. This is why I am clamouring for a centre that he can play with next year and bump Hoelscher down to 3rd line duties where we can stretch our depth and dominate other teams.

Where I disagree is the PK. A defense full of 17 year olds has loads of promise but it is tough for kids that age to cover other teams strong PP units. I cannot say 100% that has to do with coaching as much as experience.

The PP is more related to lack of chemistry and not having a prototypical PP Quarterback. Chmelevski payed that role a lot and I hate forwards quarterbacking the powerplay.

Since it is just one year and they had an inexperienced defense, I will give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. They really couldn’t do anything about Tremblay because that is management’s responsibility to make the decisions on player movement and acquisition. I can even give them a pass on the 2nd line because we played significantly short handed at centre ice.

Although I agree with your logic and frustration, I am not sure other approaches with this faulty lineup could have made much of a significant difference.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Before I begin, let me say Tremblay was outstanding in game 2, spectacular even. In game 1 he was above average. In games 3 and 4 he was simply awful. Perhaps it's fatigue or maybe he's just not that good. No doubt Hamilton is a far superior team but no team has a chance when soft goals suck the life out of you like that.

I agree with many, Andree should start game 5. The only sensible reason not to is that could make Wednesday night's yanking Tremblay's last junior game. Tourigny may, as other's point out, start Tremblay out of a sense of loyalty. Where was that loyalty (67's, not Tourigny) when Lasarev showed up unexpectedly in August and when Lafreniere stumbled earlier in the season? They knew Andree was an apprentice and they put all their eggs in the Tremblay basket and that strategy failed.

Bottom line is this team needs a #1 next season. Not sure if that'll come in the form of a trade or if the CHL lifts the import restrictions on goalies. In any case, Tremblay is dust, hand Andree the reins and see what happens.

Acquiring a goalie is usually VERY EASY. All you need to do is free up an OA spot and you will normally be able to find someone average or better. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, we were unable to find one this year. The lack of goaltending is trending upward. The rules they put in place to “develop homegrown” goalies has not worked AT ALL. I believe they may lift the ban on drafting Import Goalies but I am not rue if they are prepared to do it this year. I think they may extend the OA limits to 3+ a goalie. If they do, it may be more difficult or Ottawa to acquire one because teams will have the flexibility to keep their OA without penalty other than potentially stunting the growth of prospect goalie.

Hopefully they lift the ban on Import goalies. That would at least give us a viable change. That being said, something tells me they will pass on their picks and keep True. If they do release True, it once again enforces what I have said for a long time....don’t draft 17 year old Imports unless you are CERTAIN they are front line players. You can bring in one good Import every year which means if you draft 18 year olds and cycle one in every year you are good. If you bring in 17 year olds, you will need to PASS your pick every third year. Why waste a draft pick developing a player like True (a 2nd round pick)? I doesn’t make sense to me. Take a flyer on a top rated NHL pick and work your magic behind the scenes with the NHL club that holds his rights.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
...something tells me they will pass on their picks and keep True.

You may be right OMG but you may very well be wrong. True was a healthy scratch last night in favour of Jack Quinn, who, in my humble opinion, is already a better player.

If, and I get it's a BIG if, the Euro goalie restriction is removed, True is history. Combine that with your "Take a flyer on a top rated NHL pick..." idea and that may be the solution.

Buffalo picked Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2-54) who played in Finland's 2nd Tier pro league in 2017. Philly drafted Russian Kirill Ustimenko (3-80), Columbus drafted Russian Daniil Tarasov (3-86), Carolina drafted Finn Eetu Makiniemi (4-104), and Anaheim drafted Swede Olle Eriksson-Ek (5-153), so there are potential targets out there and then there's this year's NHL draft.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You may be right OMG but you may very well be wrong. True was a healthy scratch last night in favour of Jack Quinn, who, in my humble opinion, is already a better player.

If, and I get it's a BIG if, the Euro goalie restriction is removed, True is history. Combine that with your "Take a flyer on a top rated NHL pick..." idea and that may be the solution.

Buffalo picked Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2-54) who played in Finland's 2nd Tier pro league in 2017. Philly drafted Russian Kirill Ustimenko (3-80), Columbus drafted Russian Daniil Tarasov (3-86), Carolina drafted Finn Eetu Makiniemi (4-104), and Anaheim drafted Swede Olle Eriksson-Ek (5-153), so there are potential targets out there and then there's this year's NHL draft.

I think you are right that if the goalies are available to be picked, they will use their pick. However, when a team drafts two 17 year olds, it is a philosophy of developing as opposed to hiring a gunslinger. I just don’t think they will bend on that philosophy. So even if they do release True, if they can’t draft a goalie, they will probably draft another 17 year old again.

Of course, that is not what I would do. I would try to draft a big name that you anticipate needing to season in North America. I believe they may not even need to release True to draft a stud name based on that players draft position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad