Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Pretty predictable outcome tonight.

We all pretty much knew the 67’s would give’r a good go and play hard. They did. They probably controlled the majority of the 1st period.

The reality is Hamilton is very strong offensively and have oodles of depth. It is really hard for the 67’s to match that. So, no matter how hard they play, it will be really tough for the 67’s to even win a game. The Hamilton PP will expose our youth on the back end and they did so tonight.

The silver lining is that Ottawa skated with them the entire game and the play was relatively even. It is too bad really. Hamilton has too many solid veteran forwards with loads of skill.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Impressive couple of games on the road. It's clear how important Hoefenmayer playing up to his potential is to this team.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You really need to get to the playoffs to determine the real player capabilities. You hope to see it for 68 regular season games but that isn’t realistic.

Based on the first two games, here are my thoughts:

1> Barron is taking a lot of faceoffs. It is shoving Chmelevski to a wing a little more even though I still believe he is shifting over to centre during the play. If Barron comes back as an OA, I think the line as is is good enough without needing to acquire a front line centre. They have solid chemistry and are talented enough to be somewhat devoid of a natural front line centre.
2> I like Hoelscher but I think he is better suited as a 3rd line centre. Keating and Clark simply don’t have a lot of chemistry with him. I Ike each player individually but I dont’ think the line as it is configured works well. They should be producing much more offense than they do.
3> Quinn Yule may end up being a pretty good player. He plays to his size very well. Once his feet catch up (and they aren’t bad now), he could be a significant force. I am not sure he will be that player next year but as a 19 year old he may be an interesting player.
4> IfI had to pick one of the D-Men to be our #6 I’d have to pick Robertson. He may be the one that has not asserted himself in a way that matches his skill set. If we think Peric is a player that needs ice, Robertson may be the one I’d be most willing to part with to acquire the missing piece.
5> Chmelevski is a player now. I dont’ need to say more.
6> If we are a serious Championship calibre team next year, I think we need to have Barron returned.
7> Graham Clarke’s relegation to the 4th line tells you something about his defensive abilities or lack thereof. He is young though and this is the playoffs where you really need to take care of both ends of the ice especially against a team like Hamilton.
8> The Mississauga trade combined with the Stratis trade was stellar. I liked it all back when it happened and I like it even more now. We got two really serviceable players in Cascagnette and Boomhower and upgraded with Rippon over Stratis, plus we got some extra picks out of it.
9> Hoefenmayer has elevated his game to a completely different level. I will excuse his weak stick wave out of position on Stillman’s goal. His positives this series so far far outweighs that bad play.
10> Sam Bitten may never be a prolific scorer but I will predict that at the age of 19 he wil end up being a more well rounded player than his brother Will and yet he will never get a sniff of professional hockey at the AHL or NHL level. He will probably end up being a slid OA player an then off to CIS.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
Great game last night. Nice to see bahl back . If you think the refs are bad in our games you should see the other games in the ohl. Hope to see a good crowd tomorow night.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I was really happy to see how hard the 67's played yesterday- made me go online and buy tickets for tomorrow night's game! Let's hope that Tremblay catches a Heater and we can somehow pull off a split in the next couple of days.

Sasha has hit the next level. With a full year of playing with Barron and Felhaber, all three can earn NHL contracts and I believe he can lead the league in scoring if he doesn't make the US World Junior team (who would have thought that at Christmas?!). In many years of following hockey, I can't think of another veteran player that has transformed themselves mid-season like he has.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I was really happy to see how hard the 67's played yesterday- made me go online and buy tickets for tomorrow night's game! Let's hope that Tremblay catches a Heater and we can somehow pull off a split in the next couple of days.

Sasha has hit the next level. With a full year of playing with Barron and Felhaber, all three can earn NHL contracts and I believe he can lead the league in scoring if he doesn't make the US World Junior team (who would have thought that at Christmas?!). In many years of following hockey, I can't think of another veteran player that has transformed themselves mid-season like he has.

I think maybe you have overestimated a couple things.

1> Chmelevski will never lead the league in scoring. That requires 110+ points. He isn’t enough of a passer to get to that level. But, I think he will make Team USA.
2> Felhaber will never sign an HNL contract. His skill set at his size isn’t anywhere near good enough. He is a good OHL player but I think CIS and a University education is where he is at. He may toil in the ECHL if he doesn’t want to do school.
3> I agree about Barron. I think he is more an AHLer though. On the right team he may fit in as a 4th liner because he works his arse off every shift but that doesn’t translate on all teams. Look at Jamie McGinn. HE is a far superior player and he has bounced around a lot of 3rd and 4th lines in the NHL with not much more ice than that.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I think maybe you have overestimated a couple things.

1> Chmelevski will never lead the league in scoring. That requires 110+ points. He isn’t enough of a passer to get to that level. But, I think he will make Team USA.
2> Felhaber will never sign an HNL contract. His skill set at his size isn’t anywhere near good enough. He is a good OHL player but I think CIS and a University education is where he is at. He may toil in the ECHL if he doesn’t want to do school.
3> I agree about Barron. I think he is more an AHLer though. On the right team he may fit in as a 4th liner because he works his arse off every shift but that doesn’t translate on all teams. Look at Jamie McGinn. HE is a far superior player and he has bounced around a lot of 3rd and 4th lines in the NHL with not much more ice than that.
I agree Chem is not scoting champ material despite his impressive second half. Will be top 10 though, top 5 maybe if Barron comes back. God I hope we get him bak next year, selfish on my part but its been a long trudge through mediocrity.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
)
You really need to get to the playoffs to determine the real player capabilities. You hope to see it for 68 regular season games but that isn’t realistic.

Based on the first two games, here are my thoughts:

1> Barron is taking a lot of faceoffs. It is shoving Chmelevski to a wing a little more even though I still believe he is shifting over to centre during the play. If Barron comes back as an OA, I think the line as is is good enough without needing to acquire a front line centre. They have solid chemistry and are talented enough to be somewhat devoid of a natural front line centre.
2> I like Hoelscher but I think he is better suited as a 3rd line centre. Keating and Clark simply don’t have a lot of chemistry with him. I Ike each player individually but I dont’ think the line as it is configured works well. They should be producing much more offense than they do.
3> Quinn Yule may end up being a pretty good player. He plays to his size very well. Once his feet catch up (and they aren’t bad now), he could be a significant force. I am not sure he will be that player next year but as a 19 year old he may be an interesting player.
4> IfI had to pick one of the D-Men to be our #6 I’d have to pick Robertson. He may be the one that has not asserted himself in a way that matches his skill set. If we think Peric is a player that needs ice, Robertson may be the one I’d be most willing to part with to acquire the missing piece.
5> Chmelevski is a player now. I dont’ need to say more.
6> If we are a serious Championship calibre team next year, I think we need to have Barron returned.
7> Graham Clarke’s relegation to the 4th line tells you something about his defensive abilities or lack thereof. He is young though and this is the playoffs where you really need to take care of both ends of the ice especially against a team like Hamilton.
8> The Mississauga trade combined with the Stratis trade was stellar. I liked it all back when it happened and I like it even more now. We got two really serviceable players in Cascagnette and Boomhower and upgraded with Rippon over Stratis, plus we got some extra picks out of it.
9> Hoefenmayer has elevated his game to a completely different level. I will excuse his weak stick wave out of position on Stillman’s goal. His positives this series so far far outweighs that bad play.
10> Sam Bitten may never be a prolific scorer but I will predict that at the age of 19 he wil end up being a more well rounded player than his brother Will and yet he will never get a sniff of professional hockey at the AHL or NHL level. He will probably end up being a slid OA player an then off to CIS.
Good post OMG. A few comments. I think Hoelscher will be fine as a#2 next year, I think we've only scratched the surface with him. He is a bit of a reach as a #2 this year granted. As for next year if we lose Barron I see Keating playing first line left wing, brings good board play like Barron and slightly better hands. Them I would put Will Bitten on the left with Clark/Hoelscher, it would drive other teams nuts. I also think Bitten has more upside than you think if he can improve his skating a bit. As for D I agree Robertson is likely the most expendable right now as we will need to give Peric icetime next year. However would it be the smartest move as he has a good chance for an OA year, so I know I will be criticized but what about using Bahl as trade bait. He would command a great return and is unlikely to be an OA. Also with the development of Wilson/okhotiuk we have similar defensemen. Thoughts. Finally remember I voiced my dissapointment with Hoef a few weeks ago, well this is what I expected. Wonder if the coach unleashed him? I guess overall we have few needs for next year, blow the bank and get a goalie.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
)
Good post OMG. A few comments. I think Hoelscher will be fine as a#2 next year, I think we've only scratched the surface with him. He is a bit of a reach as a #2 this year granted. As for next year if we lose Barron I see Keating playing first line left wing, brings good board play like Barron and slightly better hands. Them I would put Will Bitten on the left with Clark/Hoelscher, it would drive other teams nuts. I also think Bitten has more upside than you think if he can improve his skating a bit. As for D I agree Robertson is likely the most expendable right now as we will need to give Peric icetime next year. However would it be the smartest move as he has a good chance for an OA year, so I know I will be criticized but what about using Bahl as trade bait. He would command a great return and is unlikely to be an OA. Also with the development of Wilson/okhotiuk we have similar defensemen. Thoughts. Finally remember I voiced my dissapointment with Hoef a few weeks ago, well this is what I expected. Wonder if the coach unleashed him? I guess overall we have few needs for next year, blow the bank and get a goalie.

Bahl is just scratching the surface of his inner "beast mode." I don't think we need a player that reaches his value. I think Robertson has a lot of value because he has room to grow and with what we have he will never get that unless he has a massive offensive turn around. so if there is a team out there that is one of the contenders this year that is looking to retool, I think that is the fit.

Let's wait on the goalie. With possibile Import rules changing and possible OA rules changing, we may see more options to suit our needs that would be more viable. For example, we could draft a 19 year old NHL draft Import looking to get on North American ice to get his angles down that isn't good enough to play AhL as a starter. That would cost us the release of True.

To me, everything hinges on Barron. If he returns we will only need a 2nd line centre to stretch out the depth and a goalie. Then it is tinker at the deadline.

It may not cost a lot to get to a solid foundation if the rules change. Although, the pending OA rule would probably raise the value of the goaltenders since teams could more easily hold a spot open for them even if it is just for insurance.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
refs are not favouring the 67`s

guess it does`nt matter 67`s 1 Hamilton 8

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
8-1....ouch! Ah well just one lost. Tremblay did not have it and although he's not the reason we fell behind he did not make the stops to give us a chance to come back, as we were in it until mid second. If we're to have any chance Tremblay needs to be solid, we need to stay out of the box and our pp needs to produce. Had we scored on those two power plays at the end of the second it might have been different. Go get them tonight boys!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
8-1....ouch! Ah well just one lost. Tremblay did not have it and although he's not the reason we fell behind he did not make the stops to give us a chance to come back, as we were in it until mid second. If we're to have any chance Tremblay needs to be solid, we need to stay out of the box and our pp needs to produce. Had we scored on those two power plays at the end of the second it might have been different. Go get them tonight boys!

Correct, it is one loss but at the same time Hamilton now has its chest puffed out and Ottawa has lost the momentum it gained with their last win.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
After this 4th goal and goalie change, this should be his last game in net. It’s time for Andree to get some real time and see if he has the chops to at least be a backup next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad