Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It’s getting pretty lean for Ottawa. Only 2 wins in their last 10. Goal differential of -32. If they keep this streak alive, they could be down to 8th by the end of next week.

I can’t see Peterborough and Mississauga linger near the basement much longer. Both had stellar 2nd half’s last year and I expect them to do so again this year.

Ottawa’s 102 goals places them in 19th overall for goals scored.

I said at the beginning of the season that this team simply has no real top two line centres. The team is very poorly constructed. We’ve needed an OA centre since day one. They still seem stubborn and not willing to do anything about it.

Keating, Barron, and Chmelevski are all wingers in my mind. Meanwhile they seem to be lining up at centre a lot. Keating has been most affected. His production is way down. He really needs a proper centre to take the heavy load off his shoulders and allow him to roam around a little with less responsibility. Same with Chmelevski.

It will be an interesting deadline. If we mostly stand pat, I think we will be in tough for a top 5 seed and the possibility exists we may end up struggling to qualify for the playoffs, although I think it very unlikely that we would miss the playoffs.

Reactions: sirius67fan

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
One possibility in nets who may become available is Luke Richardson, who at 18 years old would have 2.5 more years to play (including OA season), should Kitchener make a move to pick up a star goalie as is being rumoured. At 15-8 with a .899 save percentage, he would be a great add.

If they aren't able to add a goalie, they should approach Barron and ask him if he'd like to be dealt, as he deserves a chance at a big run. My sense is that he'd love to stay in Ottawa as he is a Grade A+ character kid and leader but if he was interested in moving to a contender he would be amazing in Kitchener, Hamilton or the Soo helping to push for an OHL championship as his game is built for the playoffs.

Not sure if Felhaber would want to move, as he is a shoo in for an OA year next year if he wants to return. Maybe they would look to move one of their 17 year old defenders for a Center to a team with a similar imbalance of D/F. Pure speculation on my part, but Saginaw has a ton of 17 year old forwards and may want to add another good 17 year old D to add to Caleb Everett.

There's no point in standing still- either make a push to add to the team or make moves to try to improve the next couple of years. I don't think there's any such thing as too many picks, especially way down the line- they can be used in the next few years to make a heavy push.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Ottawa has been showing more with fewer results the past little while. They out-shoot an opponent but get outscored. Every game there is a weak goal which seems to take the air out of them, often very early. Against Oshawa, their second half was much better, just not good enough. Let's not talk about the brutal officiating. That is the OHL's weakest attribute.

The coaching staff seems to want to let their forwards play and the ice time is fairly evenly distributed, so everyone gets a chance to contribute. Overall, there seems to be some promise, but we may have to suffer for the rest of this year.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Ottawa has been showing more with fewer results the past little while. They out-shoot an opponent but get outscored. Every game there is a weak goal which seems to take the air out of them, often very early. Against Oshawa, their second half was much better, just not good enough. Let's not talk about the brutal officiating. That is the OHL's weakest attribute.

The coaching staff seems to want to let their forwards play and the ice time is fairly evenly distributed, so everyone gets a chance to contribute. Overall, there seems to be some promise, but we may have to suffer for the rest of this year.
Agree fully with your post except the last line. We are a good team on the cusp of being very competitive but as its been discussed ad nauseum two things hold us back, goaltending and getting a true center. I remember very few games where we were not competitive and most night we could have easily won. I will reserve full judgement in fairness until the trade deadline is done, but we do not "need to suffer" with all the assets we have. The players deserve better and us long suffering fans deserve better. Should they stand pat at the deadline I will be the most dissapointed of my 20 years as an ardent 67's fan.

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
Right about now I dont care be a seller or a buyer. This team is a middle of the road team. But at least do something big.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agree fully with your post except the last line. We are a good team on the cusp of being very competitive but as its been discussed ad nauseum two things hold us back, goaltending and getting a true center. I remember very few games where we were not competitive and most night we could have easily won. I will reserve full judgement in fairness until the trade deadline is done, but we do not "need to suffer" with all the assets we have. The players deserve better and us long suffering fans deserve better. Should they stand pat at the deadline I will be the most dissapointed of my 20 years as an ardent 67's fan.
100% agree. This is why I didn’t want to wait until the deadline. The Goaltending issues have been apparent the entire season. It would have been nice to resolve that issue earlier to see if it made a difference. It would either encourage or discourage from making a bad deadline move.

Now, as it stands, there are three courses of action:
1: Stand pat. Probable result will be a 6-9th place Conference finish
2: Sell. Trade Barron and potentially Foget. Commit at that point to make a huge push next year. That means offseason moves all aligned with that goal.
3: Buy. At minimum, a bonafide starting goalie and an OA Centre. Preferably a 2nd centre on top of that. It pushes our current centres to the wing where they belong and they can roam around.

If they continue with #1, it will be as you said, a very disappointing season. A wasted opportunity with a wide open conference. Anything can happen in the Finals. I remember we should have won in ‘97, ‘98, ‘03. We should not have won in ‘01 and we did. So, in all four of those cases, the predicted winner lost. Even if we went up against a powerful SSM, the games need to be played and anything can happen.

wolfpack99

Oct 9, 2014
Rumours lol was talking to a scout tonight that Ottawa wants castagnettes from steelheads lol wake Boyd there are better Oa out there

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
According to multiple reports, the 67's have acquired Merrick Rippon, Jacob Cascagnette and Shaw Boomhower, no word on what is going the other way yet.

From what I remember on Boomhower (love that name) and Cascagnette, they were very tough players to play against last year in the playoffs and should add veteran presence to the lineup.

I'm most excited about Rippon, a local success story who many on this board were hoping that the team would acquire in the offseason. He is ranked 21st for this year's draft in Brock Otten's midseason ratings.

Glad to see the GM shaking things up.

You'd have to think that if they are acquiring another 17 year old defenceman, there must be one going the other way. Really hoping that we are holding on to Sam Bitten and Mitch Hoelscher and our 2nd round picks for this year's draft.

wolfpack99

Oct 9, 2014
According to multiple reports, the 67's have acquired Merrick Rippon, Jacob Cascagnette and Shaw Boomhower, no word on what is going the other way yet.

From what I remember on Boomhower (love that name) and Cascagnette, they were very tough players to play against last year in the playoffs and should add veteran presence to the lineup.

I'm most excited about Rippon, a local success story who many on this board were hoping that the team would acquire in the offseason. He is ranked 21st for this year's draft in Brock Otten's midseason ratings.

Glad to see the GM shaking things up.

You'd have to think that if they are acquiring another 17 year old defenceman, there must be one going the other way. Really hoping that we are holding on to Sam Bitten and Mitch Hoelscher and our 2nd round picks for this year's draft.
Lol good trade but castagnettes what a joke

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
This what OHLinsider posted on Twitter hearing it's Merrick Rippon (Ottawa native) Jacob Cascagnette & Shaw Broomhower heading to the #67s. Thinking Peter Stratis has got to be heading the other way. #OHL

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
This what OHLinsider posted on Twitter hearing it's Merrick Rippon (Ottawa native) Jacob Cascagnette & Shaw Broomhower heading to the #67s. Thinking Peter Stratis has got to be heading the other way. #OHL
At first glance seems a bit of an odd trade although not all details are in. Cascagnette and Boomhowers ' stats don't stand out. They are centers which is a need but not top 6. I guess they see Boomhower as OA guy next year and Cascagnette adds size. As for Rippon there has to be a D going back. I hope its Stratis not Robertson. Bottom line we still need a goalie.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Gene Periera posted it first so that makes it a little more plausible.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
If this trade does come through I wonder which way Missy goes. Everybody assumes a young D (makes sense) and picks but they have an open OA spot. Just speculating but is it possible Missy want to load up for a run before losing Mcleod, Tippet etc....Foget/Barron going the other and Ottawa's window becomes the next two years?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
According to OHL Insiders, Foget and picks will be going to Mississauga. Makes one wonder if it is indeed Mississauga trying to load up by upgrading their OA spot from Cascagnette to Foget and adding picks to flip in other deals.

If that is indeed the case, you have to think that the 67's are moving a D in another deal. There isn't enough ice in town for 5 x 17 year old D's (Stratis, Robertson, Bahl, Okhotyuk and Rippon), though it will be very interesting to hear the esteemed OMG's reaction if they roll with 5 defencemen from the same birth year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad