Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Memory is foggy on this one, but I recall someone (maybe Rychel?) stating that Ellis/Kassian were available back in the day. Turned out that no deals happened, but maybe that put a damper on the prices? "Hey, you're selling so I don't need to convince you as hard." If you threw a huge offer out there for DiPietro, they'd at least look at it. I doubt Clarke would be available (I'd love that), but even a guy like Bahl would be nice in a Spits' uniform; youth, size, some offence, plenty of grit. Especially if Day is dealt, too.

With regards to DiPietro staying or going - if it was me, I'd be leaving for the simple idea that the team has changed so much. DiPietro strikes me as a guy who would take any challenge head-on, so a young team in front is no sweat. I'd look at the "the guys are gone" aspect, too. If all my former teammates take off and it's a brand new team then, for me at least, it's time to move on.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
What GM in his right mind would tell the truth at this stage of the game? Another thing you might want to consider...Let’s say WR trades Brown, Day, McEneny & Vilardi...would you want to play behind what’s left ? I think not. DiPietro might want to move to greener pastures..
What GM in his right mind would tell the truth at this stage of the game? Another thing you might want to consider...Let’s say WR trades Brown, Day, McEneny & Vilardi...would you want to play behind what’s left ? I think not. DiPietro might want to move to greener pastures..
True. I have said before if DiPietro decided to give up his NTC he would want to move to a contender. I think like Bracco he probably has preferences. That does tie a team up when it comes to garnering what the price a GM places on what he considers the value should be for an asset.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

If I were running the show, I’d seriously consider the DiPietro-Vilardi combo. The 67’s do need a centre as well as a goalie but more importantly, they are in year one of a two year competitive window. Of course, they could delay that window one year if they sold off Barron and Foget this year and focused on the young defense as 18 and 19 year olds but they’d have to make some solid buyer transactions up front to adjust that window.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Would Clarke/Bahl/wazoo-of-picks be a reasonable approach to Vilardi/DiPietro or even Brown/DiPietro?

Not imo; I would not give up Bahl for Villardi or DiPietro. Ottawa does have other good young D that might be easier to trade.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Would Clarke/Bahl/wazoo-of-picks be a reasonable approach to Vilardi/DiPietro or even Brown/DiPietro?

I think that is excessive. I don’t think Vilardi, because of injury, should be anything other than picks.

DiPietro is a goalie so it is tough to justify a 2001 for him in a package. Although, if there is significant demand from multiple teams and no other viable options, I could see the potential of it. The problem is Clarke is a top 10 pick and projected 50+ goal scorer. If he were included, the picks would be significantly diminished and maybe none at all.

I think something like this would be much more reasonable:

To Ottawa
DiPietro
Vilardi
McEneny

To Windsor
Peter Stratis (2016 1st)
Mitchell Hoelscher (2016 3rd)
2018 2nd (SAR)
2020 2nd (WSR)
2022 2nd (WSR)
2018 3rd (OTT)
2019 3rd (PBO)
2020 3rd (OS)
2018 4th (OTT)
Conditional 2nd (Vilardi plays 30 games in 2018-2019)
Conditional 2nd (Vilardi plays 20 games in 2017-2018)

I think that would be about accurate for that sort of package. The conditionals make sense. Windsor gets something for Vilardi and both sides mitigate the risk.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
To Windsor
Peter Stratis (2016 1st)
Mitchell Hoelscher (2016 3rd)

Problem here is both are still in high school and have to agree to a trade. Hoelscher is from Waterloo Region so six of one, half a dozen of the other geographically. Stratis is from Toronto but parents bought a house in Ottawa. Both are in the prime age of a 'ramp-up' here and might not agree to go to a rebuild elsewhere.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Problem here is both are still in high school and have to agree to a trade. Hoelscher is from Waterloo Region so six of one, half a dozen of the other geographically. Stratis is from Toronto but parents bought a house in Ottawa. Both are in the prime age of a 'ramp-up' here and might not agree to go to a rebuild elsewhere.

This is more an exercise to determine value.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
There are no players that are not tradeable. It depends on the offer that is given at the time.

As to offering Windsor much, I would think that they are more3 than likely to stand pat as they are a contender to make the playoffs and I am sure their fans would not like to see them throw in the towel either.

I think the best idea might be to see what Battaglia brings to the table before we make too many trades.

Barron May be the piece that goes to bring in a couple of quality players at forward

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There are no players that are not tradeable. It depends on the offer that is given at the time.

As to offering Windsor much, I would think that they are more3 than likely to stand pat as they are a contender to make the playoffs and I am sure their fans would not like to see them throw in the towel either.

I think the best idea might be to see what Battaglia brings to the table before we make too many trades.

Barron May be the piece that goes to bring in a couple of quality players at forward

I have to admit that your logic astounds me.

If the 67s were to trade Barron, the team acquiring him would be BUYING. A team that is buying doesn't give players that can help now. They keep those players because they need them for their run.

If the 67s choose to trade Barron, it would be a SELLER move. That means we'd get draft picks and maybe a decent 17 year old with potential.

Windsor is void of 2nds and 3rds for the next five seasons plus a lot of 4ths and 5ths. If they stand pat for playoff revenue, they'll be in a VERY bad spot the next five+ years. They need to flip their valuable assets now (Day and Brown). Maybe they can wait on Vilardi and DiPietro next season but there is risk in that. If their plan was to stay the course this year they would not have traded Stanley.

Pope Francis 1

Mar 13, 2013
Agree. Luchuk is the domino that to my mind verifies WSRs plan post the Stanley trade (back 1/2 of a deal has been suggested by many). The issue and risk to a buyer on Vilardi is his health. Dipietro (assuming NTC is waived) is available right now IMO provided the asking price is met. Baier and Patton will handle the workload for WSR moving forward should there be a trade. WSR is restocking the shelves to mitigate the risk. Best to do that now. Vilardi is huge wildcard until proven healthy.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
There is no way Windsor can afford to stand pat or go for it. They're without high-end picks for the next several years and you can't let elites graduate without getting something for them. While I've run into a few people who initially want to see the Spits go for a second Cup, they quickly understand when you tell them "they have no picks to move." The Luchuk deal was the first domino. In a week or so, it's going to be nothing short of interesting around here.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Windsor is void of 2nds and 3rds for the next five seasons plus a lot of 4ths and 5ths. If they stand pat for playoff revenue, they'll be in a VERY bad spot the next five+ years. They need to flip their valuable assets now (Day and Brown). Maybe they can wait on Vilardi and DiPietro next season but thererisk in that. If their plan was to stay the course this year they would not have traded Stanle

I did not know this. Then I would agree that they need to make good deals for picks. I do not see DiPietro coming here if he has a NTC. I would think that other teams that are closer to making it would have been better choices.

Then again maybe there are things that we do not know.

My thought on Barron is that yes it would be a buying team but a buying team can give us a good 17 year old and picks.

Picks can then be combined with a D man or such in another trade to get a better goalie or forwards.

We have to remember though that with the present lineup there are not a lot of openings next year as it is.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Windsor is void of 2nds and 3rds for the next five seasons plus a lot of 4ths and 5ths. If they stand pat for playoff revenue, they'll be in a VERY bad spot the next five+ years. They need to flip their valuable assets now (Day and Brown). Maybe they can wait on Vilardi and DiPietro next season but thererisk in that. If their plan was to stay the course this year they would not have traded Stanle

I did not know this. Then I would agree that they need to make good deals for picks. I do not see DiPietro coming here if he has a NTC. I would think that other teams that are closer to making it would have been better choices.

Then again maybe there are things that we do not know.

My thought on Barron is that yes it would be a buying team but a buying team can give us a good 17 year old and picks.

Picks can then be combined with a D man or such in another trade to get a better goalie or forwards.

We have to remember though that with the present lineup there are not a lot of openings next year as it is.

This team needs to decide when their two year window of contention opens. It is either this year and next or next year and the following.

If it is this year and next, all we potentially lose after this season is Barron and Foget. All other significant pieces return next year. That is assuming Felhaber is an OA which I think is 90% probable.

If it is next year and the following, the 2nd year of that span we would potentially lose:
Wilson
Hoefenmeyer
Chmelevski
Keating
Felhaber
Clark

Of the FOUR that are age eligible three could return as OA’s but it is too early to determine or project that.

So, if the ONLY thing that stands between us and contending in the Conference this year is a goaltender, and OA centre and potentially and OA D-Men that would replace one of the guys we trade to get the goalie, to me it is a no brainer.

Going through all of this suffering to just hold back and not make a push this year is silly in my mind. Trading Barron and making this a one year push next year is a waste as well. If we can trade a bit more of a premium for an 18 year old that covers us this year and next then that is really the way we need to go.

A normal team has its normal compliment of draft picks with which to restock their team. We have an additional FIVE 2nds and THREE 3rds to trade and still be at the starting level of one pick in every round per year.

Regarding Barron, he isn’t a superstar scorer. But, he is the type of player every team needs in the playoffs. HE allows the team to play a little bigger. He holds the other team accountable. He can pressure the opposing top line. He isn’t an enforcer but is one of the rare guys that can play on a top line, produce, and be grittty. We’ve held on to him for this long to finally develop into the kind of player we drafted. Trading him now and allowing another team to benefit from that doesn’t make sense. The only sense it would make is if we are once again throwing in the towel on the season and surrendering. Quite simply, that is the wrong message to send now. They need to pull out all the stops to contend this year and next. The door is wide open for them to do so.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG I agree with you that this team has the parts. The only way I see a Barron trade is if it allows the 67's to get the missing pieces that it needs for the next 2 years.

If they were able to put a package together that got them a starting goalie with a good record that was going to be here for 2 years then I would say trade him for the goalie and maybe picks.

As for the picks, I think you have to look at teams that are building like Erie and Windsor and see that they have.

Ottawa should be a buyer this year but yes it may have to pay a steep price for what it needs. Starting goalies are not cheap.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
OMG Starting goalies are not cheap.

I agree 100% and would further argue they are virtually non-existent:

Rank the goalies with more than 10 games played by save % (IMO GAA is more of a team stat) and (although it may change in the next 2 weeks) identify buyers as top-5 in their conference, you have:

1) Helvig, KGN (Buyer and OA)
2) Fazio, SAR (Buyer and OA)
3) DiPietro, WSR (Seller)
4) Raaymakers, LDN (Buyer)
5) Cormier, SAG (Seller but OA)
6) Johnson, SSM (Buyer)
7) Villata, SSM (Buyer)
8) Dhillon, NIA (Buyer)
9) Popovich, GUE (currently 6th in Conf)
10) Fulcher, HAM (Buyer)
11) Wells, PBO (currently T6th in Conf)
12) Richardson, KIT (Buyer)
13) Keyser, OSH (currently T6th in Conf)
14) Lazarev, BAR (Buyer and OA)
15) Sime, NB (currently 8th in Conf)

I'll stop there (Sime and Lazarev both with .894 Save%). So you have 10+ buyers interested in DiPietro and one will have to overpay for him.

Next target is likely Wells but if Petes win 3 of their next 4 they could climb to 4th or 5th in the East. With Hunter Jones the heir apparent might the Petes move Wells?

I'm guessing Guelph will ride out Popovich as his numbers are vastly better than last season.

Bottom line: Overpay for DiPietro (Ottawa may be the best equipped to do that), wait for a mid-pack team to falter out of the break and become sellers, pick up a younger #2 that's ready for #1 role or hope that Andree or Battaglia (if he has even signed) can step into a #1 role next season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree 100% and would further argue they are virtually non-existent:

Rank the goalies with more than 10 games played by save % (IMO GAA is more of a team stat) and (although it may change in the next 2 weeks) identify buyers as top-5 in their conference, you have:

1) Helvig, KGN (Buyer and OA)
2) Fazio, SAR (Buyer and OA)
3) DiPietro, WSR (Seller)
4) Raaymakers, LDN (Buyer)
5) Cormier, SAG (Seller but OA)
6) Johnson, SSM (Buyer)
7) Villata, SSM (Buyer)
8) Dhillon, NIA (Buyer)
9) Popovich, GUE (currently 6th in Conf)
10) Fulcher, HAM (Buyer)
11) Wells, PBO (currently T6th in Conf)
12) Richardson, KIT (Buyer)
13) Keyser, OSH (currently T6th in Conf)
14) Lazarev, BAR (Buyer and OA)
15) Sime, NB (currently 8th in Conf)

I'll stop there (Sime and Lazarev both with .894 Save%). So you have 10+ buyers interested in DiPietro and one will have to overpay for him.

Next target is likely Wells but if Petes win 3 of their next 4 they could climb to 4th or 5th in the East. With Hunter Jones the heir apparent might the Petes move Wells?

I'm guessing Guelph will ride out Popovich as his numbers are vastly better than last season.

Bottom line: Overpay for DiPietro (Ottawa may be the best equipped to do that), wait for a mid-pack team to falter out of the break and become sellers, pick up a younger #2 that's ready for #1 role or hope that Andree or Battaglia (if he has even signed) can step into a #1 role next season.

I get it. That is precisely the reason why I am willing to deal for DiPietro and pay the price. HE is a two year goalie to boot. The reality is f this team has been built to peak right now and next year, you cannot hold back. You need to pony up the required assets to complete the team. No Championship team ever builds their team completely within through the draft. You need to add. The difference is Ottawa needs the most important piece to reach their goal. If they don’t get that piece, they waste time and effort on a hope and a prayer. That simply is not good enough.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG

Can you break down your trade if all we were after was dipietro.I am thinking Stratis ( does he have a NTC) and all the 2018 picks that you listed

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG

Can you break down your trade if all we were after was dipietro.I am thinking Stratis ( does he have a NTC) and all the 2018 picks that you listed

First, we don’t know if he is available but let’s assume because of their rebuild he is.

Second, we also don’t know how many teams are in a position to make a push for him so we have no idea who we are up against.

I am going to assume that he would want to play in Ottawa AND that we are up against at least two other serious contenders for his services.

To Ottawa:
DiPietro

To Windsor:
Peter Stratis or Carter Robinson
Mitchell Hoelscher or Sam Bitten
2018 2nd
2019 2nd
2021 2nd
2018 3rd
2019 3rd
2019 5th

All four players have no trades because they are in high school. They’d have to agree to a trade.

Alternatively, if we could convince Kingston to trade us Helvig, the price would be much lower and if it is just for one season, he’s the guy I’d rather have but it doesn’t help us next year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Kingston is on a run for the top this year so Helvig would not be available That being said buying a goalie for half a year to me is a waste. Let's use what we have for a goalie that is going to be here next year to help the younger guys develop

That being said it will be interesting to see who comes back to camp this week

MJFAN

Sep 17, 2015
Re Battaglia as possible solution in goal in short term or next year. He played AA in minor midget then a year in outlaw GMHL and now on likely worst Jr A team in Canada. Nice progression and very good year this year facing a ton of shots but absolutely no pressure to win at elite level so far so a stretch to think a solution relative to other goalies who may be available via trade, draft or free agent.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Re Battaglia as possible solution in goal in short term or next year. He played AA in minor midget then a year in outlaw GMHL and now on likely worst Jr A team in Canada. Nice progression and very good year this year facing a ton of shots but absolutely no pressure to win at elite level so far so a stretch to think a solution relative to other goalies who may be available via trade, draft or free agent.

Evan Cormier out of Saginaw may be an alternative as well. Saginaw is in a decent position but that conference, as usual, is pretty tough. They’ve got a fairly young team.

If we could pry Middleton and Cormier away from them without giving away the farm, it would be interesting. I am still in a state of shock that we drafted Will Brown in the 3rd round and left Keaton Middleton on the board, especially with Jacob in the fold already. If you ever want to point a finger at crap draft results, look at that and try not to get seriously pissed off.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Evan Cormier out of Saginaw may be an alternative as well. Saginaw is in a decent position but that conference, as usual, is pretty tough. They’ve got a fairly young team.

If we could pry Middleton and Cormier away from them without giving away the farm, it would be interesting. I am still in a state of shock that we drafted Will Brown in the 3rd round and left Keaton Middleton on the board, especially with Jacob in the fold already. If you ever want to point a finger at crap draft results, look at that and try not to get seriously pissed off.

I could see something between 67's and Saginaw going down. But I don't think it would be Cormier. I don't see Cormier and Middleton going to a team in the east. Saginaw players going to the east are more likely going to be Crawford and Gilmour as I heard both want to be moved to the east. Cormier and Middleton will be in OS, Soo, or London.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I could see something between 67's and Saginaw going down. But I don't think it would be Cormier. I don't see Cormier and Middleton going to a team in the east. Saginaw players going to the east are more likely going to be Crawford and Gilmour as I heard both want to be moved to the east. Cormier and Middleton will be in OS, Soo, or London.

I’m not saying it is going to happen but that is the right match. Cormier or someone else in net is the only NEEd for Ottawa. If they can’t get a goalie, they shouldn’t do anything other than sell off a player or two that will not be back next year. Without that position settled, they are dead in the water.

I would think that if Cormier becomes available, the 67’s should be bidders for his services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad