Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
I saw my first live 67 game tonight, in over 10 years. (2nd half of a day night double header) Fury in the afternoon, 67's in the evening. It got a little foggy at times, but enjoyed it.
Biggest shock was seeing all the players from the early days, i was a season ticket holder back then and here was all these old men with white hair, and it made me feel old.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
OK figuring this new set up. Seems we lost end of last thread before migration. OMG said he wasn't surprised Evans was cut and gave a few good reasons why. I replied I was a bit surprised as I thought he was one of our few (with Barron ) players strong on the boards and helped in possession. I also thought he wasn't bad last year and I find it early to give up after one year on a player with potentially three more years. I would have kept him over Yule as I see him as a good third liner. Just my opinion.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OK figuring this new set up. Seems we lost end of last thread before migration. OMG said he wasn't surprised Evans was cut and gave a few good reasons why. I replied I was a bit surprised as I thought he was one of our few (with Barron ) players strong on the boards and helped in possession. I also thought he wasn't bad last year and I find it early to give up after one year on a player with potentially three more years. I would have kept him over Yule as I see him as a good third liner. Just my opinion.

I don't disagree. My point was that I was not surprised because of the reasons I posted earlier. I would have kept him over Gardiner and Yule 100%. But, I dont' see him as an integral part of the team going forward so my level of care is minimal.

We also don't know what is going on behind the scenes. HE may have requested a trade and the team was unable to accommodate.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
When new coaches take over there is usually a player or 2 left out of the plan. While I agree that I might be a better fit than a Yule at this stage he should on this team be a top 2 lw If as we think they are building then they may be trying to get some of these other guys the ice time. Yule may have more of an upside. As OMG said we really do not know what is going on there may also be a possible trade that they needed to clear space for

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I think that I recall Tourigny saying that they would only do this for the first two weekends. I'd roll with Lafreniere and Andree. Lafreniere has shown in the past that he can make big saves to keep his team in the game. Albeit we've only seen him twice, Tremblay hasn't make those big saves yet. You've got to try to develop Andree as a 17 year old this year.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Much better game tonight, but the team just couldn't finish it off. Barron, Keating and Clark look LEGIT as a top line threat.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67's lose 5-4 in OT with 2 secs left. Barron 2 goals should have had 4 or 5 and had 9 shots. Keating and Clarke with the other 2 goals. Okhotyuk -8 and 10 PM's after 5 games.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Any goalies available? We don't have anyone that can stop a puck. Should have kept Lazarov. Second need: a shutdown defenceman. Too many opposition forwards standing in the open. Third: someone who can score. Time to use some of those asset picks and get some help. Nobody will develop if we keep getting hammered by 5, 6, 7 goals.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Pretty solid Roadie. Managed to snag a point.

NEED: #1 or #2 D-Man (OA)
NEED: #2 Centre (OA)
DON'T NEED: Backup OA Goalie

Why does Chmelevski have an "A" on his jersey? What the hell has he done to deserve a letter? I don't understand.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
I agree with you On the need for a #1 or #2 d-Man
and a #2 centre
but we also need new goalies, they are to soft and easy to score on.
wow we will never go far this year with those two.

ouch it hurts watching this team lately.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
I would almost be positive in saying this team is actually worse then last years team...
how could that have been... i thought we were suppose to be getting better not worse....argh...
I believe we will be bottom of the east all season.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Even if they only used their excess picks for this year's draft Boyd would have a 2nd, 3rd and 4th to play with. That should be enough to pick up Raaymakers and a veteran D- especially if the 67's included one of their many young D in a deal.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I would almost be positive in saying this team is actually worse then last years team...
how could that have been... i thought we were suppose to be getting better not worse....argh...

I said it in the offseason. Tyanulin drove the bus offensively. We have no real bonafide centers. Only Bahl developed as a 16 year old. Stratis and Robertson were question marks. They drafted a winger in the first round. Mistake.

So many holes.

Then they turn over the coaching and management.

Things may work out because they have a collection of good players but a really bad mix of age and positions.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
At this point I am not too worried about skaters (yes some experience would help). We need a goalie the team can have confidence in, it all starts in the crease. So far I've seen nothing in Tremblay and Lafreniere is blowing his chance to be the guy. May as well give Andree a chance or call up Creed Jones. Try people until someone sticks.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I don't think we will be bottom of the east. Lots of talent and its early. If we get a decent goalie we'll be ok.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't think we will be bottom of the east. Lots of talent and its early. If we get a decent goalie we'll be ok.

The thing is some people have different expectations. I think we are a 5th - 6th place team with no additions. At some point the talent will come together and make something out of the season.

I still think it is the wrong mix and with some tweaking this team can challenge for top 3 in the East and gain some much needed experience going into next season.

If we are still in "status quo" mode at the end of October, I will be surprised. I am reasonably certain that the management group will make a move or two when the time is right. Teams are still feeling out their rosters. Things will loosen up in a couple weeks.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG I agree with you at this stage no one is going to give up a player unless the guy really sucks.

Around Christmas, there will be teams that will realize that they do not have what they need and will be looking to trade for picks and young talent.

I still think that we have the right defense. We had to know that the Euro players were going to take some time to get used to the league and the refs.

Chemlski got the A in all likelihood to show what he has and to show that he can be a leader. remember, A's come and go.

As to forwards let's see what happens Barron and Keating should be showing the leadership up front and the rookies will take a few games to develop.

I would rather a team that sucked in October but got better than a team that was great in October and reached it's peak with no improvement.

To those that are crying about Lafreniere I remember a lot of people saying that this should be his year.

Again the defence in front of him can make al,l the difference.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
A few thoughts on the game. The first two periods were so boring. The highlight was the repair of the glass and I'm not joking. The refs were brutal on both sides completely destroyed the flow of the game with marginal call after marginal call. Anyway we were down 2-0 even though I thought we slightly carried the play. However good comeback in the third. That weak goal could have killed us at 19:58 but we hung in there. Was pleased with Tourigny's coaching, really used his players well particularly the rookies. Gave Clarke/Losev decent icetime throughout the game with Gardiner but usually on offensive zone face offs and the kids gave us a few very good shifts in the third. Also gives Clarke power play time and he was our first shootout guy, and he nailed it. Also used the pair of Hoelscher/Bitten a lot on the PK with good success. He also doesn't shorten his bench as much as Brown in the second half of the game. This reminds me of Killer and will pay dividends in the second half. As an example in the 3/3 he put Clarke/Hoelscher/Okhotiuk on the ice, quite a vote of confidence for the kids. One thing that puzzles me is using Stratis over Hoef on the first PP unit. Not that I object to Stratis but Hoef is by far our better offensive D at this point. Finally got to mention that Chem and Bahl had very good games.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Cedrick Andree is the backup to Tremblay tonight and was on friday night as well, is Lafreniere injured?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
OKhotyuk!! He looked like a different player this week, glad to see him starting to get comfortable. Straits looks really good right now too- he is looking confident out there.

Any news on Robertson?

What's the deal with Lafreniere? Hopefully the team gives him a chance to play somewhere.

Good weekend, the team is much more fun to watch so far this year.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Heard friday Robertson is still 1/2weeks away. Injury taking longer than expected. Don't know what the injury is however.
Agree I hope they give Lafreniere a chance if they won't play him here. Looks like he's the odd man out.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The problem with Lafreniere is that no one at this point will want to take a chance on him. He may be in limbo if Creed does well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad