Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Wel, this "plan" has so many flaws.

1> I don't have an issue with the three rookies mentioned getting opportunities to make the team. Thomas Tinmouth is another possible player too. He played well for Stofville this season as a 16 year old. He was our third round pick behind Hoelscher in last year's draft.
2> Picking a D-Man in the Import draft is fine as long as it is a 19 year old. But, if it is another 17 year old then we may as well count that pick as a waste. With what we have returning, it doesn't make much sense in including Will Brown in the mix. If the Import is a 19 year old, it may not make sense to include Orban. Although, he did impress me a little more in the 2nd half and his partnership with Stratis was solid down the stretch.
3> Obviously they will go with a forward in the first round.
4> Leo returning would be completely unfair for Lafreniere and if that happens, Lafreniere will demand a trade. It is not like Leo is that great that we need him as an OA. He has his moments but he flops around out of position so much it actually hurts us a lot. There is a chance of Artur returning IF he feels that returning may give him more of an opportunity of playing NHL.
5> This is not a championship contender. But if Artur returns, we pick an impact 19 year old Import D-Man, acquire an additional OA D-Man that can play as our #1 then maybe we can challenge for the Conference. Who knows how that places us within the league.

First, I doubt they pick anything other than a 17 year old Import. That has been their MO for the past few years. That player will struggle to crack our defense with all the returning D-Men. For them to say they are taking a D-Man in the Import draft suggests they already have their man chosen and signed in pencil. Second, I doubt Tyanulin returns.

We shall see what transpires but I am not holding my breath that this team will be a contender for the conference let alone the league. Too many things need to fall into place for them to be 'that' team.

1. Except for maybe Keating no one should be safe at camp next year. Give the young guys an even chance and see how they do.

2. On defense i think they should drop Orban and see if they can draft in the Euro or trade for a defenseman that has more skill and leadership abilities. I think you have to include Brown and Robertson but they have to be given explicit instructions on what they are to improve and work on in the off season.

3. Yeah they definitely need to go Forward with as many picks as they can. A goal scorer in this position is not going to help this year but it will next year. Draft size and skill after that.

4. Take the best Euro that is available that is going to report. Not so much worried about age it is more the skill Quotient and size that i would be looking for.

I think Oshawa and Hamilton will be the big teams next year and the 67's are not that good yet. Therefore being a contender and doing well in the playoffs would be my goal.

As to what happens with Chem I think the NHL draft will either open his eyes or you can let him go in a trade. He is not going to get drafted high, the NHL team may tell him that he is not a center and that he needs to play 2 way hockey or they will just let him go. Then it will be up to him in camp to prove that he is trying if not trade him fast.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
1. Except for maybe Keating no one should be safe at camp next year. Give the young guys an even chance and see how they do.

2. On defense i think they should drop Orban and see if they can draft in the Euro or trade for a defenseman that has more skill and leadership abilities. I think you have to include Brown and Robertson but they have to be given explicit instructions on what they are to improve and work on in the off season.

3. Yeah they definitely need to go Forward with as many picks as they can. A goal scorer in this position is not going to help this year but it will next year. Draft size and skill after that.

4. Take the best Euro that is available that is going to report. Not so much worried about age it is more the skill Quotient and size that i would be looking for.

I think Oshawa and Hamilton will be the big teams next year and the 67's are not that good yet. Therefore being a contender and doing well in the playoffs would be my goal.

As to what happens with Chem I think the NHL draft will either open his eyes or you can let him go in a trade. He is not going to get drafted high, the NHL team may tell him that he is not a center and that he needs to play 2 way hockey or they will just let him go. Then it will be up to him in camp to prove that he is trying if not trade him fast.

Interesting:

1> I think the pool needs to be slightly bigger than just Keating but I get your point and I agree. For example, Clark and Evans played their way onto the team this year but that doesn't mean they get a pass onto the team next year. If the younger guys show up and push them around then you need to re-evaluate. The reality is they have too many bodies at forward with what they have int he system now combined with jsut the 1st round pick in this draft. Something has to give.

2> I get the reaction regarding dropping Orban BUT if they are unable to resolve the issue with experience on the defense through training camp, they at least need to have the option of using Orban even if it is just the short term. That being said, who knows if Orban wants to return as an OA. He may very well decide to go to school. I liked him in the 2nd half with Stratis. I think they managed to work out a solid partnership where Orban was able to stay back while Stratis roamed a little. Barring the addition of an alternate option, I'd rather have Orban with Stratis than Auger...Assuming Bahl and Hoefenmeyer play as a pairing next year.

3> No brainer going with a forward int he 1st round. Agreed.

4> Agreed regarding the Euro but this is no longer really a draft. It is a bunch of Euro's that decide they want to play in North America and they use networking to work out deals with teams prior to the draft. Sure, another team ahead of them could pick your player but it just seems to me that these players already have a plan and they jsut follow through with it. So, really, the 67's don't take best available, they decide what they want and then go on the hunt to find the player that wants to come over that has those attributes.

I agree about Hamilton. I am not sold on Oshawa. They are slow. IF the cards for Barrie all fall into place, we could see them rise up significantly. LEt's see how the summer plays out.

I agree that the draft may be an eye opener for Chmelevski but I have a feeling he already knows his stock has fallen. I think he has been in no mans land the second half this year and he is simply lost. The best thing for him is a change of scenery. A new start somewhere else would probably do wonders for him.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I was surprised that neither Hoefenmayer or Keating were selected to the U18 team.

The only OHL defenceman picked was Ryan Merkley but an argument could certainly be made that Hoef had a better year than him this year. Obviously Hockey Canada is looking at long term upside of getting Merkley into the program.

At forward, Ty Dellandrea and Akil Thomas were picked as 16 year olds. Personally, I'd take Keating over Liam Hawel and Schnarr/Ratcliffe from Guelph but maybe they're there for their physicality on a checking line.

Why do Ottawa players seem to get no recognition for Hockey Canada events? None of Couture, Toffoli, Ceci or Monahan ever played at the World Juniors. Konecny is the only recent player to make the Jr. team in recent memory.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
In this years draft I am suggesting Ottawa draft Brandon Coe, we want a forward and he is a big hockey player. This team needs size soon.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
In this years draft I am suggesting Ottawa draft Brandon Coe, we want a forward and he is a big hockey player. This team needs size soon.

Blake Murray has size and is a centre. I think he is rated inside the top 10 especially with Hughes, Turcotte and Bertuzzi as potential guys as non-reports. I'd rather have the big centre over the big winger.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

No doubt he is an intriging prospects as is G. Clark another winger that mock drafts link to the poles. However I believe we need a center and this draft is deep in centers. It appears Hughes, Turcotte, Beecher are bound for the US development team (at least this year barring draft shenanegans). I suspect Suzuki and Bertuzzi are gone by the time we draft. So at center the following are possible options in no particular order
1-Blake Murray 6'2, 177, 41,32,33,65
2-Cody Morgan 5'11", 170,32,21,20,41
3-Connor Mcmichael 5'9", 151,41,42,30,72
4-adam Prueter 5'9" 166,33,18,33,41
5-M. Russell 5'10",182,41,35,23,58
6-Jamieson Rees 5'9, 158,32,24,16,40
7-Philip Tomasino 5'10,164,54,37,31,68
Height,weight,games played,goals,assists,points
I predict Murray or Tomasino and if those two are gone Mcmichael with Russell as a dark horse.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I would love to see us pick Tomasino, Bertuzzi or Murray though I suspect that Clarke is their guy with him being linked with the 67's I in nearly every mock I've seen. Either way, I trust our scouts after last year's great haul!

On a side note, I'd love to see them trade up to the 21 or 22 slot to take the best Goalie available. Seeing how Dipietro and Ingham have performed as the top Goalies picked the past two years, I would like to see us add a blue chipper. Would a team in those spots trade down to #38 if the 67's included either this year's third or another 2nd down the road? Luke Cavallin from Kemptville could be their guy, as the scouting report on him is quite impressive!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I would love to see us pick Tomasino, Bertuzzi or Murray though I suspect that Clarke is their guy with him being linked with the 67's I in nearly every mock I've seen. Either way, I trust our scouts after last year's great haul!

On a side note, I'd love to see them trade up to the 21 or 22 slot to take the best Goalie available. Seeing how Dipietro and Ingham have performed as the top Goalies picked the past two years, I would like to see us add a blue chipper. Would a team in those spots trade down to #38 if the 67's included either this year's third or another 2nd down the road? Luke Cavallin from Kemptville could be their guy, as the scouting report on him is quite impressive!

Won't happen as the window to trade picks is closed I believe.

concernedsth

Apr 7, 2017
Booster Club

In previous thread there was a topic about the Booster Club.

Another season in the books and I truly enjoy being part of it no matter how it ends.

I wanted to wait until end of season before voicing my concerns about an email that was sent out almost a month ago regarding the Booster Club. Many good points were covered and many felt it had to be addressed.

I have been a Season Ticket Holder for 15 years and have been an active Member of the Booster Club but I don't think after receiving these emails and the things that go on with the Booster Club I can continue to support it. I realize it is for the Players but I have heard / seen things going on with somebody within interacting with the players outside of the game and this is totally against all morals. Taking full advantage by taking players out for dinners, shopping,movies and drives around town just doesn't sit will. This type of stuff never happened before.

The Booster Club has done great things for the players and parents over the years but its reputation sure has gone down hill from where I sit.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

From what I understand based on reading a lot of the pre-draft assessments, there are six goalies that are highly rated. There is debate amongst the scouts as to which of the six is best. So, it is very likely that if the 67's want a solid netminder, they should be able to snag one in the 2nd round. There have been no rumblings of a goalie picked in the first and many feel this draft is deep in skaters as well so even though our pick is late int he 2nd, there is a good chance we can get one of the six. I'd like Cavalin for sure.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Another season in the books and I truly enjoy being part of it no matter how it ends.

I wanted to wait until end of season before voicing my concerns about an email that was sent out almost a month ago regarding the Booster Club. Many good points were covered and many felt it had to be addressed.

I have been a Season Ticket Holder for 15 years and have been an active Member of the Booster Club but I don't think after receiving these emails and the things that go on with the Booster Club I can continue to support it. I realize it is for the Players but I have heard / seen things going on with somebody within interacting with the players outside of the game and this is totally against all morals. Taking full advantage by taking players out for dinners, shopping,movies and drives around town just doesn't sit will. This type of stuff never happened before.

The Booster Club has done great things for the players and parents over the years but its reputation sure has gone down hill from where I sit.

Everyone has different motivations for joining the Booster Club. Some of those motivations could be nefarious. It is up to the leadership of the Booster Club to root out those that join for purposes other than those that support the mission of the Club. If the leadership are the ones acting in an unprofessional way then it is up to the general membership to address it.

concernedsth

Apr 7, 2017
Everyone has different motivations for joining the Booster Club. Some of those motivations could be nefarious. It is up to the leadership of the Booster Club to root out those that join for purposes other than those that support the mission of the Club. If the leadership are the ones acting in an unprofessional way then it is up to the general membership to address it.

There is only two left on the Executive of the Booster Club and one of them that is unprofessional in so many ways. I sure hope something happens before it goes any further.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There is only two left on the Executive of the Booster Club and one of them that is unprofessional in so many ways. I sure hope something happens before it goes any further.

If the other executive member is not willing or able to resolve the issue then there isn't much anyone can do.

The Booster Club is a non-profit organization that is its own registered entity. The only thing the 67's organization can do is stop it from operating in the rink. They have no authority to make changes themselves, only try to force changes through limiting access.

To be honest, I think the 67's have more issues to deal with other than issues surrounding the Booster Club.

The reality is that everything surrounding the 67's has gone in the ****** over the last five years since OSEG has taken a hold of the organization. IT is telling that even the Booster Club has taken a huge hit in support.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
3:00 today (Friday) is cut off. Can't trade your first round pick.

Jeff Brown was on the radio stating they are picking a forward with first pick. He is trying to move up in the second round to get the guy they have their eye on.

http://ottawa67s.com/article/jeff-brown-were-taking-a-forward

Interesting interview.

Most was pretty obvious but he did say that he would be more open to drafting some kids leaning towards NCAA and see if the 67's can get them to report downt he line. He said in the past the asset pool was a little too thin to take those chances but this year because of the fuller cupboards, he's more willing to roll the dice.

He also said something a little different than what many of the scouts on HF have said and that is they don't view the draft as deep as last year. That is the reason why he is actively trying to move up in the 2nd round. If that is true it may also mean there are less goalies available come the 3rd round.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/04/02/ottawa-67s-crash-out-of-playoffs

My takeaways:
1) Brown is very high on Hoelscher and he expects Yule and Bitten to make the team as well (even after the graduation of Steege, White and possibly Tyanulin, if these three are counted as returnees- we would have at least 13 returning forwards)
2) The team plans on picking a Defenceman in the Import draft (Currently slated to return Hoef, Wilson, Auger, Robertson, Stratis, Bahl, possibly Orban and Will Brown)
3) The team plans on picking a Forward in the first round (not a surprise)
4) Brown thinks that there's a chance of Leo and Artur returning (however unlikely this may be)
5) Brown doesn't think next year's team is a Championship contender, maybe a contender for the conference (I don't like hearing this- why limit expectations on what should be a good returning team? )

Been thinking about this for a week (it hurts by the way) and kind of agree with OMG some things don't make sense in this. Lets start with the forwards.

Projected back next year: keats, chem,barron,felhaber,foget,clark evans, pearce,dorval gardiner. Then add long shot Tyanulin (i would take an oa/import for him). Then Brown says Bitten, Hoelscher, Yule likely on team. Then as OMG says you have to take a look at Tinmouth and I would add Manderville. I really liked Tinmouth in training camp and he's had a good year . Also really liked Manderville and he's had an ok year but to me he looked better than Yule, bigger, better skater. Yule is tall but not big and its only one game I saw him but his skating is not OHL level yet? Anyhow leaving out Tyanulin and adding our first rounder that's 16 bodies. Something's gotta give. For me Yule needs another year in tier two like Van Stralen. I think Gardiner is gone and possibly Pearce. I do agree Bitten ( filled out nicely now listed as 6' 185, heck lets get everybody on the Bitten diet) and Hoelscher make the team. So our forwars IMO look like this:
Keats,chem,barron,felhaber,foget,dorval,clark,evans, bitten,hoelscher,1rst rounder, , one of Tinmouth/Manderville (im betting on Manderville as size and right hand shot) and a hail mary we get Arthur back. Keeping in mind Tinmouth/Manderville have not signed so they may go ncaa route.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

My takeaways:
1) Brown is very high on Hoelscher and he expects Yule and Bitten to make the team as well (even after the graduation of Steege, White and possibly Tyanulin, if these three are counted as returnees- we would have at least 13 returning forwards)
2) The team plans on picking a Defenceman in the Import draft (Currently slated to return Hoef, Wilson, Auger, Robertson, Stratis, Bahl, possibly Orban and Will Brown)
4) Brown thinks that there's a chance of Leo and Artur returning (however unlikely this may be)
5) Brown doesn't think next year's team is a Championship contender, maybe a contender for the conference (I don't like hearing this- why limit expectations on what should be a good returning team? )

As for D well we have auger,bahl,hoef,robertson,stratis,wilson back and possibly orban. I don't buy will brown returning. So assuming we get an import D thats 8 bodies. If we go that roure we need to get a 19 y.o. anchor type import ar at the very least an exceptionnal 18y.o. We need to stay away from a 17 y.o. as OMG has been preaching. In that scenario Orban is gone so our D IMO:
Import, Auger, Bahl, hoef, robertson, stratis wilson. Nice blend of size, snarl (hi hudson) and skill. Wonder if Golikov might be back...keep hearing rumours, in which case lets get a top center in the import draft.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

My takeaways:
As for goalies agree with OMG no sense in bringing Leo back, he's ok and did well in playoffa but he is not worth an OA spot at expense of getting Lafreniere at the next level in two two years.
So goalies IMO:
Lafreniere
2nd rounder

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Been thinking about this for a week (it hurts by the way) and kind of agree with OMG some things don't make sense in this. Lets start with the forwards.

Projected back next year: keats, chem,barron,felhaber,foget,clark evans, pearce,dorval gardiner. Then add long shot Tyanulin (i would take an oa/import for him). Then Brown says Bitten, Hoelscher, Yule likely on team. Then as OMG says you have to take a look at Tinmouth and I would add Manderville. I really liked Tinmouth in training camp and he's had a good year . Also really liked Manderville and he's had an ok year but to me he looked better than Yule, bigger, better skater. Yule is tall but not big and its only one game I saw him but his skating is not OHL level yet? Anyhow leaving out Tyanulin and adding our first rounder that's 16 bodies. Something's gotta give. For me Yule needs another year in tier two like Van Stralen. I think Gardiner is gone and possibly Pearce. I do agree Bitten ( filled out nicely now listed as 6' 185, heck lets get everybody on the Bitten diet) and Hoelscher make the team. So our forwars IMO look like this:
Keats,chem,barron,felhaber,foget,dorval,clark,evans, bitten,hoelscher,1rst rounder, , one of Tinmouth/Manderville (im betting on Manderville as size and right hand shot) and a hail mary we get Arthur back. Keeping in mind Tinmouth/Manderville have not signed so they may go ncaa route.

There is clearly a "Master Plan" that will reveal itself after the Import Draft. Until then, we cannot really speculate too heavily on the puzzle pieces.

I don't believe Brown stated that Hoelscher, Bitten and Yule will be on the team. I believe he stated they earned the opportunity and he expects them to make it. PErsonally, I think Hoelscher and Bitten will be there but not sure about Yule. As you mentioned, his skating is very weak and he needs to fill out a lot more.

Tinmouth has not committed anywhere so that leads me to believe he will maintain NCAA eligibility through camp BUT I think if he gets an offer from the 67's he will take it. Guys of his calibre have usually at least committed somewhere.

The numbers you present are the reason why I don't feel the likes of Evans and Clark are guaranteed a spot next year. I'm not knocking them but if younger guys come in and outplay them, they would still need to earn a spot on my team. Neither lit up the lamp offensively this year. Dorval, Pierce and Gardiner would also be a question mark.

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
I said if I were Barron that is what I would do.

I would cheap shot him in a bad way. I bring guns to knife fights.

You cannot defend Hagues actions by suggesting he was instigated upon. That is just silly. That means as long as a player is instigated upon, he can do pretty much whatever he wants once they hit the ice. It becomes WWE time.

What about the fact that Barron pulled hair and bit Hague? I think that would suggest that Hague just pulled his gun in a knife fight, no?

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto

Oh boy. Do I even want to touch this one?? The idea of having Booster Club execs and members interacting with the players may seem inappropriate for some but this kind of activity had been going on well back into the late 90's and throughout the early 2000's. Man there have been some wild stories. Anyway whether you like or it not, it does goes on and not just in Ottawa but other OHL cities as well.

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
You guys are overreacting to one punch to the head to a guy who instigated, bit and pulled hair, and are sounding off like a bunch of vigilantes. Listen and look at all of the facts, grow up and consider the fact that maybe he had it coming? Looks like that is what the league did. :handclap:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad