Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Thomas Chabot extended (8 years, $8M AAV)

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I don't know - Chara was very effective for a very long period of time.

Chara was by far the exception. I'm not saying Hedman will fall off a cliff, but I wouldn't bet on him being a top 5 d-man in the league in his mid 30's.

Point is, Chabot should be in his prime in about 3-5 years, rather than the 10 someone else suggested.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
This is a "nice player, but hasn't earned that contract yet" situation, but I suspect in 2-3 years it will be a bargain for the Sens.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
The guy had 55 points in 70 games as a second year player. He is likely going to be a bargain before this contract is up.
This contract will make him the 5th highest payed defender in the NHL next season. He's 21. He's only played 134 games in the league. He has like 5 RFA years left. Use the leverage while you have it.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
The vast majority of players peak between 23-28 now.

Hedman may still be good from 30-38, but I wouldn't bet that he is a perennial top 5 d-man by then.

I don't see anyone except Ovechkin maybe getting past 40 anymore. The turnover in Careers is being adjusted because of the speed now. You lose a wheel, you are done.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
awesome news for Sens fans, they deserve to have a player like Chabot signed long term with all the bs they have to put up with

Reactions: dood

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This contract will make him the 5th highest payed defender in the NHL next season. He's 21. He's only played 134 games in the league. He has like 5 RFA years left. Use the leverage while you have it.

Leverage? The Sense wait a year and they are likely playing more money to keep him. Look at how the RFA negotiations have been going, grabbing his signature now was the cheaper option.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa

Crazy that the sens had the #1 D man in the NHL and now a top 5 d man. Good drafting.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Honestly, if it were me, I'd want a lot more money to stay with the Sens for that long. You're giving up some prime years to/for a team that likely won't go anywhere anytime soon.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
awesome news for Sens fans, they deserve to have a player like Chabot signed long term with all the bs they have to put up with

Yep agreed, they have nothing but cap-room, so lock up your best when you can. If I’m a Sens fan, I’m happy someone good wanted to stay long term.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly, if it were me, I'd want a lot more money to stay with the Sens for that long. You're giving up some prime years to/for a team that likely won't go anywhere anytime soon.

He’ll still have a shot at one more good contract and he’s getting top dollar EARLY.

Extremely fair IMO. He must believe they can build a winner.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He’ll still have a shot at one more good contract and he’s getting top dollar EARLY.

Extremely fair IMO. He must believe they can build a winner.

He definitely does. Listen to his interviews, or those of his best buddies Colin White or Brady Tkachuk.

I dont think people realize how tight these kids are already. Chabot and White were born on the same day, taken in the same round by the same team. Then they went head to head against each other as star players at the WJC, but warmly embraced each other during the handshakes. It was the start of something special.

Chabot even mentioned something to the effect of White being "adopted" by his parents as of late.

I really dont think people understand how fun a situation it is for the kids in Ottawa. The door is wide open for them and there is probably not better opportunity in the league for a young player right now.

Now consider that many of these guys were all great friends growing up together through the US hockey program (White, Tkachuk, Norris, Brown, Gruden), and Chabot, Batherson and Formenton from the Canadian side.

They now have a super patient and young coach who's known for working with and developing young players, and is beloved by them. A players coach all the way through.

There is nothing to not like about being in Ottawa right now as a young player, and they have every reason to be optimistic about the future.

Ottawa has 2 first rounders and 3 second rounders next years draft, which is being touted as one of the best in recent memory, especially the first 2 rounds. That's going to be a huge push towards completing this rebuild, and everyone involved seems okay with the idea that this next year is going to be a development one with little expectations (ie so let the tank role).

If they land a top 3 pick, like a Quinton Byfield, it makes Ottawa one of if not the best up and coming young team to watch out for in the next coming years.

Quite obviously Chabot sees it the same way as I do - the dude had options, let's be honest.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Why wont they be good?

Because they won't be able to keep their top young players, like Chabot?

Because they arent at or near the the top of the league in drafting and developing players?

Because they arent loaded with prospects and young players, and have 2 first rounders and 3 second rounders in next years draft?

I need to understand why before I can disagree with you.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Chabot's already worth 8m in my opinion, this is an amazing signing that will only look better for the Sens year after year. Chabot should be a future Norris contender, maybe as early as the next two seasons.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't see anyone except Ovechkin maybe getting past 40 anymore. The turnover in Careers is being adjusted because of the speed now. You lose a wheel, you are done.
Thornton? Chara?

Top end talent finds ways to stick around.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Why wont they be good?

Because they won't be able to keep their top young players, like Chabot?

Because they arent at or near the the top of the league in drafting and developing players?

Because they arent loaded with prospects and young players, and have 2 first rounders and 3 second rounders in next years draft?

I need to understand why before I can disagree with you.

We drafted and developed some very good players who aren't with the team anymore.

One or two signings isn't going to change that reputation.

My optimism about the decent quality of our prospects is tempered by the raging dumpster fire that was burning for the last two years.

The Chabot signing definitely eased some of that gastrointestinal pain like a very timely Tums.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Wow... 64M from 1 year is crazy.

That being said....if Chabot doesn't improve at all and stays as good as he was last year for those 8 years this will be a steal.

I expect Chabot to be one of those defensemen that ignorant fans don't watch and assume is terrible defensively based of their stats, like current day Karlsson, Gostisbehere, Krug, Klingberg etc. Chabot is definitely solid in his own end. Congrats Sens fans.... I think!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad